IGNORED

Duggars, Duggars & More Duggars - General Discussion Part 3

happy atheist

I'm not sure why people watch, but enough of them do. I expect that as long as costs don't get too high and Jim Bob doesn't get demanding that as long as ratings stay above 1 million per episode that they'll be rolling along like Matt Roloff. TLC isn't a ratings dynamo and shows that pull a million sets of eyes make them happy. Dropping into the 850,000 or below range consistently is usually the end or becoming too demanding or expensive brings the end.

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoy seeing the weddings and babies. I like watching weddings, and I like babies. I like genetics, so it's interesting to me to see how the genetics play out in these huge families, and I like names, so I'm always interested to see what they name their kids. I'm also very interested in fundamentalist/non-mainstream religious lifestyles in general, so when/if they ever actually touch on how that works in their lives, I'm interested in that, but they rarely delve into that. Generally speaking, the show is painfully dull. Who wants to watch teenagers going to the dentist, kids pooping their pants, or Jim Bob and Michelle kissing for the billionth time? I haven't watched it in ages and rely on the commentaries here, but even reading the commentaries (which are awesome) it seems ridiculously boring and pointless.

I'm not sure why people watch, but enough of them do. I expect that as long as costs don't get too high and Jim Bob doesn't get demanding that as long as ratings stay above 1 million per episode that they'll be rolling along like Matt Roloff. TLC isn't a ratings dynamo and shows that pull a million sets of eyes make them happy. Dropping into the 850,000 or below range consistently is usually the end or becoming too demanding or expensive brings the end.

I think the Duggars are famous, because credulous people see them as a "wholesome" alternative to the Kardashians and other more flamboyant reality families. Either that, or people like us watch for the freak factor. What's odd is that the Duggars haven't really tried to extend their brand in other products like the "Duck Dynasty" family or the Kardashians. The TLC show is pretty much it, other than their appearances in churches and for various conservative causes. Although the Duggars look more modern than they did eight years ago, their core ATI beliefs prevent them from pursuing endevours that would help them make more money in the long-term. The J'slaves could probably start a modest clothing line or something like that, but JB's beliefs about women having their own money prevents this. Having a show is something that everyone in the family can do, which is consistent with their belief that everybody has to be together doing the same thing all the time.

Honestly, I would guess that 19 kids and Counting is a pretty cheap show for TLC compared to Jon & Kate. TLC only writes one family check, and maybe a small one for Joshy's family. At their height, Jon and Kate were making around 22k an episode plus all the expensive trips, and their rates were way higher than the Duggars. Outside of the overseas trip the Duggars took, I am sure TLC just has to pay for the gas of the bus for the road trips. The Duggars haven't even taken as many trips as the Roloffs, who always seemed to be on some island. Plus, the Duggars are likely less demanding. I can see Jim Bob even taking a paycut if necessary just to stay on the air. When you have gotten used to that type of money, it is hard to let go, especially with the number of tator tots they need to buy. I can see the show being cost effective for TLC.

I realize that X names don't have a lot of options (like Xenia, Xavier, or Xaviera). Xaviera Duggar named for Xaviera Hollander authoress of "The Happy Hooker". :wink-kitty:

We used to sing Bible themed songs in public school music class (yeah, the same school where we did the Lord's Prayer every two weeks in class - don't ask me). There was that one song that went, "Who built the Ark? Noah! Noah! Who built the Ark? Noah built the Ark!" And the boys all used to sing, "Who built the Ark? No one! No one!" Haha.

There was another one we learned in music class called "Three Fishermen."

At one point, the lyrics talk about when the three fishermen went down to Amsterdam, and Amsterdam is repeated as "Amster, Amster, dam, dam dam!" But because the nuns didn't want us saying "damn," the song went "Amster, Amster, SHH!, SHH!, SHH!" All the boys in my class used to screech "damn" at the top of their lungs during this part. :lol:

There was another one we learned in music class called "Three Fishermen."

At one point, the lyrics talk about when the three fishermen went down to Amsterdam, and Amsterdam is repeated as "Amster, Amster, dam, dam dam!" But because the nuns didn't want us saying "damn," the song went "Amster, Amster, SHH!, SHH!, SHH!" All the boys in my class used to screech "damn" at the top of their lungs during this part. :lol:

My mum used to sing that to me. After the "sh sh sh" came a verse about "You mustn't say that naughty word".

I realize that X names don't have a lot of options (like Xenia, Xavier, or Xaviera). Xaviera Duggar named for Xaviera Hollander authoress of "The Happy Hooker". :wink-kitty:

Xenophon

Xerxes

I totally hope one of them uses Xenophobe -- I mean, why not? :lol:

edited because names have Capital Letters

Does JB have any sort of standing with ATI/IBLP like Gil Bates does?

Does JB have any sort of standing with ATI/IBLP like Gil Bates does?

I don't think so, but I could be wrong... I don't think Gothard wants himself that tied to the Duggars, or TLC doesn't want it...

I don't think so, but I could be wrong... I don't think Gothard wants himself that tied to the Duggars, or TLC doesn't want it...

JB and Michelle and the older girls are often speakers at ATI conferences. Gothard advertises it so he's not ashamed of them.

There could be a Bates "getting to know you" with a non-Duggar they met while visiting the Duggars. Jennifer Hartono perhaps?

Hmm, maybe. The Hartonos are both cute. But how do these people feel in general about interracial marriage, I wonder?

After the recent trip to the TTH by His Hunkiness, anyone else hoping this means our dear Jana may finally be getting a piece (of his hands of course, you defrauders). I hope so. He's a fine-looking potential headship :clap:

Side note: Do we know how old Skylar is?

i've been keeping my fingers crossed for jana & skylar since the second i saw him.... yum. their babies would be friggin gorgeous, imagine their eyes.

Thanks for the info. R their only 2 kids in the family.

There is at least one other sister that we know about, Ansley, but there could be more that just aren't as camera happy.

So, his parents are divorced and the mom is still involved in ATI. Well that's nice the family was not shunned. I wonder if dad is still in the picture?

I too have been wondering whether Jennifer or Jonathan Hortono would make an eligible suitor for the Duggars or Bates. They seem to really enjoy one another's company and tow the same line in terms of their beliefs. I've not seen any (that I can think of) interracial fundie marriages though so idk how that works in the ATI world. Hmmmm maybe the Creepy Rodriguez family is a multiracial fam? I mean if you think about it, Kelly has what 2-3 adopted POC sibs right? Are they encouraged to date other POC's or allowed to date people from any nationality or...?

Also, did everyone know there is a third Hartono named Jason? What are the odds that they would all have J names too? Or did they choose those names as their Americanized names? I had a friend who immigrated to the US from Korea as a young teen, he got to pick him American name and went with Holden (after just finishing the Cather in the Rye) he changed it about a week later though lol. I still tease him that Holden Kim would've been a great name or at the very least a killer band name.

Archived