IGNORED

Sparkling Adventures in Child Neglect: Whee! Polyamory

happy atheist

• Replies 457
  • Created
  • Last Reply

She didn't even listen to the person who warned her that Calista could have gone blind from that and that she needed to see a doctor.

Great and interesting? That is the proper response to doing some kind of science experiment, not watching an untreated eye injury on your own child.

What-with the neglectful oops, I meant *sparkling* parenting going on, it will be a flat-out miracle if those girls all make it to adulthood unscathed.

She was able to get the kid to hold still long enough to take that picture, with her eyelid pulled back, but apparently didn't care enough to do anything to help her while she was RIGHT there. She is a terrible mother. Terrible.

I really believe that she is not just a negligent parent, but actually hates her kids. This stunt solidifies the evidence.

She doesn't care about her kids; she only cares what they can do for her, whether by giving her an image or an agenda or drama or sympathy or whatever her need is at the time.

I am grateful that for however awful my upbringing was, my mother who didn't know how to be a mother at least gave a shit and made decisions and sent me to school and took me to the doctor. She didn't give me free will because I wasn't old enough or experienced enough to understand it. For all her failings, she loved me enough to control my life until I was old enough to do so myself.

Lauren doesn't. She has a deceased son and an incarcerated husband to use for sympathy, but when she ends up with a deceased daughter, her leg humpers will have to open their own eyes to the fact that they watched, live on the Internet, as a neglectful mother just let her kid die.

I feel for those kids and I want to smack the living shit out of their mother.

Her children are going to resent the hell out of her as adults...if they don't already.

Most children run TO their mother when they are in pain and ask her to fix it.

I think it speaks volumes that her children run FROM her when they suffer and want her to leave them alone.

She's got a new post up on the blog: sparklingadventures.com/index.php?id=1965

All about self-determination for her kids; the eye-prickle isn't mentioned, but there's a paragraph about what to do when 3 kids are okay with the lice treatment but #4 isn't. And

When someone is getting hurt, I over-rule. If my child is getting hurt or my child is hurting someone else, I stop it.

Also, hair-brushing can be invasive, painful, and potentially traumatic, but now that her ego isn't tied into her childrens' appearance, everything is fine? Who knows, it's late here and she seems to like being verbose.

Not making her kids brush their hair makes head lice treatment heaps more traumatic than it would be otherwise. And how does she treat herself with dreads? When we lived in a part of Australia with a head lice epidemic I found the ONLY way to effectively stop an infestation was to literally comb every louse and egg out of everyone's hair, using copious quantities of cheap conditioner to help them slide out. You can't do that with dreads.....

And the one child deciding not to be treated (and Lauren's dreads) make it useless to treat the other kids and will reinfest other families around them.

Now who wants to rent a louse infested sparkle mobile for $200 p/w (plus insurance)?

Eurgh. This woman is so nasty. I would say she personifies the term "dirty hippie," except she's an insult to real hippies.

Looks like they all got lice treatment in the end. I spy Lana with clean, brushed hair

web.stagram.com/p/694093052053295854_246363331

You don't talk to kids like you would at 20,30,40. They might be people but they aren't adults...it's something sparkles and her ilk seem to forget.

Wow...just...wow. I'm amazed that SOMEONE, ANYONE hasn't told her that she should get a medical professional involved in that should it happen again. I've learned the hard way that you don't screw around with eye injuries.

Maybe they did. She would have deleted it.

Edited to add : I kept reading and someone said something, which she then used to downplay how serious it was.

Imagine trying to drag a comb through the birds nests that Lauren calls her kids hair. No wonder the kid doesn't want her lice treated, like she would if it was nicely brushed and easy to comb.

I don't get the non-hair brushing thing at all. My daughter is nearly four years old - and I still help her with most of her personal grooming. After she brushes her teeth , I give them a once over and floss for her. I fix her hair after she brushes it. She still needs a little help cleaning her bum after using the potty. I let her wash herself in the tub but also give her a once over with a soapy washcloth behind the ears and other trouble spots. I cut her toe and finger nails. I apply sunscreen on her when we go out.... Sometimes she's not too keen on these things .

I can't even imagine how filthy Lauren's kids must be.

My daughter used to hate when I brushed her hair. I gave her a choice, I could help brush it, or she could get it cut short and do it herself. She opted for a pixie cut. She had choices, but letting her hair become a tangled mess wasn't an option.

Most of my girls wore pixie cuts when they went through stages that they didn't like their hair brushed. Also, I invest in detangler spray so it doesn't HURT them.

Chemical treatments do not work effectively for lice. They are highly resistant to them. You have to get all of the live bugs OUT and then you have to keep combing with the insanely tiny comb every three days until you go at least twice without any nits OR live bugs. She cannot POSSIBLY eradicate lice from her dreds, it's not even possible. The ONLY thing she's got going for her is that lice are not fond of dirty heads. However, sleeping with lice infested children, who apparently get it FREQUENTLY and she's covered in lice, I guarantee. Plus, the thought of putting chemicals into dreds and having those chemicals soak in so you cannot totally eliminate them is disgusting.

More likely she's using "natural" treatments which work on live bugs and NOT nits, and only work then if you can keep the head sealed for over 12 hours because lice can hold their breath for 12 hours.

Someone called her out on instagram for the bur and she said it was fascinating to watch the eye develop the mucous around the bur. Yeah, nice try that will NOT protect that child from the bur scratching her eye ball everytime she rubbed her eye.

Also, I call BULLSHIT on the whole 'I intervene for medical reasons' garbage. She didn't intervene when her child was bit by a paralyzing tick a year ago. She didn't intervene when her child JUST had a bur in her eye. She doesn't intervene when the girls got cavities that required some pretty extensive work done in their mouths. She just plain doesn't intervene. She just knows that if she admits that, no one would call her a good mother because only a piece of shit would fail to intervene for medical needs.

I'm a little confused - the woman on the website Lauren linked said that she can pick out the "attachment parent" kids on the playground due to their unkempt appearance - she's the one Lauren quoted as saying that hair brushing is traumatic, painful and invasive. My understanding is that the basis for AP is that you are doing what is natural and allowing yourself to be guided by instinct (?) . Don't most animals forcefully groom their young?

There is actually one FDA approved device that seems to be highly effective at killing lice by using hot air. The machines are about 2k each, or you can go to a salon that provide the service.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 093711.htm

I'm a little confused - the woman on the website Lauren linked said that she can pick out the "attachment parent" kids on the playground due to their unkempt appearance - she's the one Lauren quoted as saying that hair brushing is traumatic, painful and invasive. My understanding is that the basis for AP is that you are doing what is natural and allowing yourself to be guided by instinct (?) . Don't most animals forcefully groom their young?

My husband's cousin was a big advocate for AP when she had her biological son. She adopted a second child, the girl was almost 2 when they took custody and came from a situation of neglect. They obviously had to adapt the AP to the situation, but this little girl has really blossomed. I have never seen either child unkempt. They might let the child go out to dinner wearing a pirate costume or red tights with a non-matching pink dress, but their hair is brushed and they are clean. The girl adores having her hair fussed with and brushed.

I discovered the Sparkling One yesterday, and have binge read this thread and bits of the previous ones. Jesus fuck.

It gets lost in the melange of awful, but I wonder if anybody has tried pulling her up on using a racist slur (gypsy) all over her shit.

Well, that's some insane behavior. "My 6 year old requested that I not intervene in her medical care so I didn't" is the same defense as "God doesn't want my children to get medical care" and nets you the same results, Lauren- dead children or children who legally aren't allowed to live with you anymore. GOOD LUCK, YOU NUT CASE!

That poor child! I got a flake of metal in my eye once. It was about a quarter the size of that 'prickle' and it was agony! That is just disgusting. My son got a whopper of a splinter in his foot once. It was treated pine too, so it HAD to come out. He was none too keen on the idea. I reasoned with him, "It has to come out or it will get infected. Do you want Mum to do it, or do you want me to take you to a doctor?"Both options resulted in a screaming fit, so in the end I just pinned him down and whipped it out. He kicked, screamed and bellowed, then stopped and went, "Oh, that didn't hurt. Can I see it?" Now he lets me do them no problem. Kids don't always know whats best, sometimes you have to intervene.

I know a couple of attachment and unschool parents. They are lovely people, very dedicated parents. Sometimes their kids are dirty if they've been playing in the yard, but they bathe daily and never have matted hair. The father is a volunteer ambulance driver too, so there's no WAY his kids would ever go days with something stuck in their eye.

My toddler has very curly hair that looks really good all disheveled, and since it's not great to brush curly hair too much, we let her go about all tussled and only brush a few times a week. It does get fairly tangled at times, especially the nape, so when we do brush, it's carefully, gently, and with lots of conditioner or detangler. I've sat in the bathtub with my girl for half an hour, combing out her lovely hair, while she splashes or just sits contentedly in my lap. Even when there are those little tiny tangles that you can't help hurting to get them out, she just lets me know when I've done too much, or need to be more careful, and we sing the tangle song, and get through it.

Invasive, my ass. Sometimes she'll ask me, or her beloved sitter, to brush her hair just because it's soothing and she enjoys it, and also sometimes enjoys having her hair done up in fancy ways. The rest of the time we're all content to just let her hair do what it will do. It's part of good parenting to ensure that the basics of hygiene are done, and hopefully as pleasantly as possible, so that it doesn't become a battlefield. Children actually like being cared for, we're mammals after all, and our fur needs to be groomed, metaphorically, if not literally! We instinctively view being ungroomed as wrong because it can indicate a lot of things, from someone being sick, depressed, or otherwise incapable of taking care of themselves, to someone being unwelcome, unloved, and having no one to care for them.

My children never want me to remove a splinter, and I like to think I'm a loving mother. That's why after letting me see it I bribe them with chocolate, money, or hold them down to remove a bad one. Same goes for things stuck in the eye. Although if she had an ounce of sense a doctor would have used painkilling drops and had it out in five seconds, cornea intact.

Maybe they did. She would have deleted it.

Edited to add : I kept reading and someone said something, which she then used to downplay how serious it was.

sparklingadventures Eye-watering, much? 6yo Calista didn't want me to intervene, so I waited... several days... And she got the prickle out by herself! (Phew!) 4d

jandrdeutscher Oh I hope she's feeling better soon! Ouch!!! 4d

jennyarletta wow.... 4d

wheeleducation Ouch. Better out than in! 4d

cazgreen Ouchie 4d

kckozphotography Ouch!! Brave,strong young lady 4d

eightasterisks I'm not one to run to the doctor at my child's every sneeze, but you really should have involved a medical professional in this. It must have been absolutely excruciating for her--and over several days! The prickle could have easily scratched her retina or she could have developed an infection and it could have cost your daughter her vision. Be very careful and cautious with eye injuries! 3d

kezzleeanderson Brave girl! 3d

sparklingadventures It was great and interesting seeing how her eye formed mucus around the prickle and pushed it away from her eyeball... 2d

» LOGIN to Instagram to like or post comment on this photo!

Read more at http://web.stagram.com/p/69304141499151 ... wf3VHhq.99

Fucking neglectful bitch.

Archived