IGNORED

Doug Phillips (is a tool) resigning!

Slt

It really must be a small influence. These things usually do make the wires just for the salacious aspects and the hypocrisy. Not a media peep have we heard.

Dougie is a big fish in a very small pond. He's certainly no Jimmy Swaggart, Jim Baker, or even a Robert Schuller.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can address the collaboration of unpaid houservants. One of them happened to be my best friend,[ name redacted]. And her mother, and her brother. And yes, she and her brother [name] were taken on trips with Doug all the time to “pay†them for their services. Only thing was, she and [name] ended up taking care of their kids throughout the entire trip as well. Apparently [name redacted] has moved up in the Phillips household though, because this year she even got to play Pocahontas at the Jamestown re-enactment! Aimee Wheeler, Little Bear Wheeler’s daughter, also use to be a nanny for the Phillips. And then there are the Short ladies, and the Turley ladies, who all “volunteer†and “work†at Vision Forum in the wharehouse, and at the conferences, but they are still under their husbands and father’s authority because they work there too! In fact, the entire Short and Turley families work there, yet they barely scrape by each month. Funny, you think perhaps Doug could pay the fathers just a tad more since he has the whole families working for him, but no, only the father’s and husband’s get paid for the work they do, not the rest of the family.[/quote]

Someone said the IRS needs an audit, but if this is true, the State board of Wage and Hour or whatever TX might call their version needs a call, because the Sales Arm of VF was NOT a not for profit and as such, people working there have to be paid, have their taxes paid or, if 1099 employees their 1099 hours tracked(with the possible the not assured exception of the interns)

Not paying employees or not paying withholding could cause him more problems in the long run than any amount of sex with someone other than Beall.

ehow.com/info_8511664_unpaid-labor-law.html

As far as which family, eh, doesn't matter. But if somebody sincerely asks forgiveness, they should be forgiven. Forget and support? Ummm.....no. I'm just not convinced Doug the tool is sorry for is actions nor has he repented. Those don't require a lengthy apology. He probably got caught with his pants down, and is pulling a Jimmy Swaggart here, albeit without the televised tearful speech. And if what some of you are saying about some of the VF crowd trying to distance themselves from VF, that tells me they don't really believe he's sorry either.

What a creep. Someone suggested a name, and I found this. Nothing like not only cheating on your wife, but abusing your power over an employee. Although we all know from the homosexuality debate that christians don't believe in consent.

I've always had the impression from reading Inashoe that Dougie's employees are treated pretty badly. VF doesn't provide them with health insurance, but they are encouraged to buy from Samaritan's Ministries instead. Not only does it get VF off the hook for their coverage, but Dougie gets kickbacks for the referrals.

Perry and Kim Coghlan are living in the way that Dougie and VF have always said families should live. A (reasonably) submissive wife, obeying her husband and eschewing birth control, spouting Christian platitudes and shilling for VF. Yet they lived for years in an unfinished self-built shack in the middle of nowhere, with 9 kids sleeping on shelves in a single bedroom. You'd think Dougie would want to reward his faithful followers with a better living wage and some of the perks that he and his family enjoy...but no.

Why is that I get the feeling that the woman involved in this is going to be treated much worse than how Doug is going to be treated. I bet that Doug would throw her under the bus if it meant he could retain some power and control.

If he came on to one of his employees that is even worse because now he is sexually harassing someone and coercing her into returning his affections. I doubt that she would even be able to file a lawsuit as I am sure she would be guided-harassed- into keeping quiet. But it is also entirely possible if it was one of his employees that the attraction was completely mutual. Males already have a greater amount of power and control in Doug's church, so I do wonder how much choice this woman actually had.

I am still shocked that he would actually own up to this.

If the quote that's been posted about young women "working" for Doug without pay is true, then his employees might not be able to file lawsuits. There have been several high-profile cases of unpaid interns suing employers for sexual harassment, only to discover that they are not protected under workplace sexual harassment laws because they are unpaid.

As far as which family, eh, doesn't matter. But if somebody sincerely asks forgiveness, they should be forgiven. Forget and support? Ummm.....no. I'm just not convinced Doug the tool is sorry for is actions nor has he repented. Those don't require a lengthy apology. He probably got caught with his pants down, and is pulling a Jimmy Swaggart here, albeit without the televised tearful speech. And if what some of you are saying about some of the VF crowd trying to distance themselves from VF, that tells me they don't really believe he's sorry either.

For me the issue is "forget and support." The people for whom Doug the tool will really need forgiveness from will be his wife and children. However, I fear that they will be forced to "forget and support" their husband/father so his image and "ministry" can remain intact. I also doubt that "forget and support" will extend to the woman, especially if she turns out to be a VF member. She'll just be branded as a whore and a Jezebel who will never be able to do enough penance for tempting a "godly" leader.

Jennie Chancey warns against "malicious gossip or pointless speculation or self-righteous moralizing."

ladiesagainstfeminism.org/personal-testimonies/resignation-and-repentance/

Bitch, please!

Isn't Jennie still in Africa, exploiting African women while her husband plays colonialist? She should just shut her hole.

I am truly surprised to hear the affair was with a woman. I mean that.

Also, you don't have to like Vision Forums page on FB to leave comments on statuses. Just a heads up. 8-)

I am responding to posts as I read them or I will forget what I want to say since this thread is already 13 pages long, so this may have been asked/answered already and I haven't gotten to it. I picked an awful day to be asleep during the day!

Would embezzlement be worse than an affair in their circle? I'd think that an affair, particularly if it was with a SAHD type would be much worse than "oops I messed up the bookkeeping a little (lot) in my favor." These families all have eleventy billion kids, so I would think the lure of money would be more easily forgiven that looking at those evil, tempting womenfolk.

You can always blame the affair on the woman... and do a public, teary apology-fest. There, no harm done and even your wife forgives you, so you can reset your sin-meter back to zero. With embezzlement, you actually have to stand accountable for you misdeeds, and we can't have that, can we?

So which family will be the first to offer their undying support and forgiveness?

while it is not undying support, Growing Home's fb page has some post about Satan targeting Christian leaders in areas where they excel and plant a flag for god, meaning that since Doug Phillips Is A Tool was such a crusader for god's plan for the family, Satan would naturally target him in an attack on god. Doug Phillips Is A Tool was just an innocent casualty in the war between Satan and God, doncha know.

while it is not undying support, Growing Home's fb page has some post about Satan targeting Christian leaders in areas where they excel and plant a flag for god, meaning that since Doug Phillips Is A Tool was such a crusader for god's plan for the family, Satan would naturally target him in an attack on god. Doug Phillips Is A Tool was just an innocent casualty in the war between Satan and God, doncha know.

So, there's no way he was to blame; it was SATAN!

I just pulled down Vision Forum Ministries 990 for for 2011 (the most recent I could get) from foundationcenter.org. There's a lot of information, but the part I zeroed in on was the compensation for the directors (page 7 of the PDF I dowloaded).

Don Hart - Director

Average hours per week: 10.00

Reportable compensation from the organization: 30,000

Reportable compensation from related organizations: 0

Estimated amount of compensation from the organization and related organizations: 0

Scott Brown - Director

Average hours per week: 0.00

Reportable compensation from the organization: 2,000

Estimated amount of compensation from the organization and related organizations: 0

Josh Wean - Chief Financial Officer

Average hours per week: 30.00

Reportable compensation from the organization: 55,862

Reportable compensation from related organizations: 90,417

Estimated amount of compensation from the organization and related organizations: 3,000

Doug Phillips - Pres/Treas

Reportable compensation from the organization: 44,035

Reportable compensation from related organizations: 24,254

Estimated amount of compensation from the organization and related organizations: 3,000

Howard Phillips - VP

Reportable compensation from the organization: 0

Jim Zes - Sec/Di

There's lots more numbers and stuff in the 990 that others with more of an accounting background might get into.

ETA: Taxpayer Identification Number: 74-2984735

Makes it easier to get at stuff.

For a man, especially a man like Doug Phillips (is a tool), any emotional affair would be far more "serious" than a physical affair. I put serious in quotation marks because I'm not sure it's the appropriate word. I need a stronger word, and my brain just went on strike; a man can have a physical affair and move on, especially one like Doug Phillips (is a tool). He is so emotionally involved with himself that to become emotionally involved with another person would make his world move.

Yeah if it was Lourdes I have a lot more compassion for her than say the robotkins. Just from the socioeconomic factor.

I'd question whether any woman within the VF sphere would be able to willingly consent to a relationship with Doug, given the serious power differential. After all, they have all the "he's a man, he's closer to God" garbage hanging over their heads, along with "I'm a woman, I don't know the scriptures like men do," etc. You all can phrase it better than I can.

What I am concerned about is if word gets out about who it is, that person's life (not saying if it's a man or a woman) will likely be ruined within VF circles.

I never found Doug Phillips is a tool tremendously interesting, so never followed him assiduously. Man, I'm regretting that now. I'm having so much fun reading all the conspiracy theories in here. I agree that the wording he used was very Clintonian. This "woman" was definitely delivering some of this "affection" from a kneeling position.

I do feel sorry for his wife (and kids) though; being cheated on so publically must be horrendous.

What I am concerned about is if word gets out about who it is, that person's life (not saying if it's a man or a woman) will likely be ruined within VF circles.

In the long run, I'd say that no matter who it is, no longer being part of VF circles would be a good thing. God works in mysterious ways and all that.

Why is that I get the feeling that the woman involved in this is going to be treated much worse than how Doug is going to be treated. I bet that Doug would throw her under the bus if it meant he could retain some power and control.

If he came on to one of his employees that is even worse because now he is sexually harassing someone and coercing her into returning his affections. I doubt that she would even be able to file a lawsuit as I am sure she would be guided-harassed- into keeping quiet. But it is also entirely possible if it was one of his employees that the attraction was completely mutual. Males already have a greater amount of power and control in Doug's church, so I do wonder how much choice this woman actually had.

I am still shocked that he would actually own up to this.

Which is why I'm really uncomfortable bringing her name into it. If it is her, she was preyed on by her boss and does not deserve what the fundies will do to her. If it is not her, her reputation will suffer. This is the definition of libel.

Mods, is it possible to edit out her name?

I am beginning to be persuaded that the affair was actually with a woman. I do have difficulty believing that this long term affair was not sexual. On another board (possibly the homeschool one? I checked out too many sites last night.) someone mentioned that it went on for six years. It defies logic that they had an emotional affair that long but limited it to mere inappropriate affection. However long it was, I think the fact that he admits it was lengthy eliminates a minor as the object of his affections. I think there is much more to this than the martyrish resignation letter.

I so hope the woman is not married, for her sake. I think Doug will be forgiven after his very public repentance, but SHE will be ostracized. I think Doug will rise from the ashes of his self-orchestrated downfall. He will spin this as a reason for requiring even more control, isolation, and "accountability" for his minions.

So how why does the CFO make more money than the President/Treasurer? Makes Doug Is A Tool Phillips like like a figurehead....

I just pulled down Vision Forum Ministries 990 for for 2011 (the most recent I could get) from foundationcenter.org. There's a lot of information, but the part I zeroed in on was the compensation for the directors (page 7 of the PDF I dowloaded).

Don Hart - Director

Average hours per week: 10.00

Reportable compensation from the organization: 30,000

Scott Brown - Director

Reportable compensation from the organization: 2,000

Josh Wean - Chief Financial Officer

Reportable compensation from the organization: 55,862

Reportable compensation from related organizations: 90,417

Doug Phillips - Pres/Treas

Reportable compensation from the organization: 44,035

Reportable compensation from related organizations: 24,254

Howard Phillips - VP

Jim Zes - Sec/Di

There's lots more numbers and stuff in the 990 that others with more of an accounting background might get into.

ETA: Taxpayer Identification Number: 74-2984735

Makes it easier to get at stuff.

So how why does the CFO make more money than the President/Treasurer? Makes Doug Is A Tool Phillips like like a figurehead....

I'm thinking he's (a) getting money from elsewhere and/or playing financial accounting games with the Vision Forum profit-making arm and (b) since this is a "ministry", is getting a sweet, sweet parsonage allowance that doesn't show up here (at least in an obvious manner).

I question whether he's paying any Federal income tax with all the deductions he has. Texas has no state income tax. Probably his biggest tax burden will be on his house (where he may be paying several thousand dollars a year). I would guess VF pays his health insurance.

It's a headscratcher, that's for sure.

I'd question whether any woman within the VF sphere would be able to willingly consent to a relationship with Doug, given the serious power differential. After all, they have all the "he's a man, he's closer to God" garbage hanging over their heads, along with "I'm a woman, I don't know the scriptures like men do," etc. You all can phrase it better than I can.

This is what I was trying to get at. The woman involved might not even be aware that she had a choice to turn Doug down. She has been programmed to believe that men know more, men are the leaders, men are closer to knowing the path that god has laid out, and women are to be submissive to the wants and needs of men. I also wonder if she feared being at the end of Doug's wrath if she turned him down. His affair points to the dangers of cultish practices as the person in charge can easily use their power to manipulate people. Is his apology an attempt to cover up an abuse of power in coercing this woman to have an affair?

Which is why I'm really uncomfortable bringing her name into it. If it is her, she was preyed on by her boss and does not deserve what the fundies will do to her. If it is not her, her reputation will suffer. This is the definition of libel.

Mods, is it possible to edit out her name?

I second this suggestion.

This is what I was trying to get at. The woman involved might not even be aware that she had a choice to turn Doug down. She has been programmed to believe that men know more, men are the leaders, men are closer to knowing the path that god has laid out, and women are to be submissive to the wants and needs of men. I also wonder if she feared being at the end of Doug's wrath if she turned him down. His affair points to the dangers of cultish practices as the person in charge can easily use their power to manipulate people. Is his apology an attempt to cover up an abuse of power in coercing this woman to have an affair?

I wouldn't be surprised. Perhaps it wasn't an affair at all. Maybe he made inappropriate advances on the woman (or man?) and they responded by threatening to sue for sexual harrassment, prompting Dougie to pre-empt the situation by releasing the resignation statement before the whole thing went public thereby discrediting the woman (or man?) in the eyes of VF

I am beginning to be persuaded that the affair was actually with a woman. I do have difficulty believing that this long term affair was not sexual. On another board (possibly the homeschool one? I checked out too many sites last night.) someone mentioned that it went on for six years. It defies logic that they had an emotional affair that long but limited it to mere inappropriate affection. However long it was, I think the fact that he admits it was lengthy eliminates a minor as the object of his affections. I think there is much more to this than the martyrish resignation letter.

I so hope the woman is not married, for her sake. I think Doug will be forgiven after his very public repentance, but SHE will be ostracized. I think Doug will rise from the ashes of his self-orchestrated downfall. He will spin this as a reason for requiring even more control, isolation, and "accountability" for his minions.

The affair may have started as a friendship/acquaintance and perhaps over time an emotional connection occurred that eventually morphed into an closer friendship, then affair that grew more physical/sexual. In other words, gradually developed over time and took Dougie unawares because in his thinking, it couldn't be an affair because it didn't conform to his assumptions about how affairs happen / work and perhaps because certain physical acts, such as PIV sex didn't occur.

Dougie might rise from the ashes, just like Jim Bakker did, but it won't be the same for him nor will he be involved in VF.

Agree that his letter sounded Clinton-like, but it seems to me that he's also a bit shocked at finding himself in this situation. I think he's used to taking advantage of people but this appears to be new for him, therefore my thinking about there's an emotional component here.

Archived