IGNORED

Doug Phillips (is a tool) resigning!

Slt

I think the other "woman" was the PP. It was a long distance romance.

Or not. Their eyes locked while crossing streams like BIBLICAL MEN. :o

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard this news and galloped straight over here. I think it could be a few things. Such as:

1. A young, doe-eyed girl who buys into the VF crap but whose parents don't totally. Starts coming to Dougie's church and goes to Dougie because her dad is just so lame. Dougie gently counsels her that her father is her headship and it is her job to win him to the gospel. He can give her some pointers. She can start by attending all his conferences and getting some wise personal counsel from him.

2. A young, sharp VF woman who meets Doug at a conference and wants to strike up a conversation with him about hermeneutics. Or presuppositionalism. She e-mails him questions, all Bible-related, so of course they don't need to check with her father/husband. They begin to banter with verses. They meet again at the next conference, and it escalates. Back in their separate homes, she watches all the videos of him, he surfs her blog or website.

3. Either of the above, but he's actually trying to milk the relationship to get alone time with her brother.

4. His non-fundie, yoga-practicing accountant. He asks her to help him doctor the books, thinking she will have no scruples as a heathen. She refuses. He quickly tells everyone that they should beware of her, because she's jealous and will do anything to ruin him, due to... err... their ongoing romantic relationship, which he is now repenting of.

Poor Beall. A cheating husband is bad. Dealing with that publicly is worse. (I am sure a lot of people will watch to see if she forgives him like a good Christian wife should.) Not really having the choice of walking away is miserable.

Poor kids. Daddy is not perfect. We all learn that at some point but it's sad when kids learn it in such a harsh way. (Most kids don't have their father built up as perfect as the Phillips kids have either.)

Question: Doug made Joshie the head of the boyhood section of VF or something similar. (I remember the photos but not the details.) Does he get to keep this title now Doug has resigned?

An intrepid FJite had the presence of mind to see if Jen Epstein had thoughts on this, and she did :

http://jensgems.wordpress.com/2013/10/3 ... /#comments

For those who don't know, Jen was a parishioner of Doug's and was excommunicated along with her family.

Her thoughts ramble but show remarkable compassion, given her history.

But I really recommend you read the comments, particularly those of a woman named Robin, who links to her own FB page. If this woman isn't on FJ, she should be made an honorary member with flyin' colors and empress-level privileges.

JMHO, of course!

ETA that Mary C Doates is probably on to something. Snoop Doug's crime is far worse, but TPTB figure this I sexual dalliance will be enough to let their boy go away for a while, possibly to return after folks' short memories have obliviated and TPTB have cleaned up the real mess.

I just can't help but think there's real significance to Doug revealing and resigning even as Scott Brown is convening 1,000 or so of the faithful at an NCFIC conference in NC....

Poor Beall. A cheating husband is bad. Dealing with that publicly is worse. (I am sure a lot of people will watch to see if she forgives him like a good Christian wife should.) Not really having the choice of walking away is miserable.

Poor kids. Daddy is not perfect. We all learn that at some point but it's sad when kids learn it in such a harsh way. (Most kids don't have their father built up as perfect as the Phillips kids have either.)

Question: Doug made Joshie the head of the boyhood section of VF or something similar. (I remember the photos but not the details.) Does he get to keep this title now Doug has resigned?

^^ This!

And dealing with it when husband / father has built his whole carreer on preaching about family values, men guiding women, staying pure, purity balls, purity rings, virgin maidens, manly men and all the other shit, using his wife and kids as props for his Christian image... it's a very long fall for him.

I hope that Beall and the children and the woman, whoever she is, will get a lot of support of different kind. What do you think - will Beall and Doug go to individual and / or couples councelling of some kind or will they just hold hands and pray?

I am not sure that this "woman" actually exists or that "she" is really a "she," but for the sake of argument, let's say she does. I am guessing (1) fellow fundie, and (2) not much younger.

(1) How would he get to spend enough time with a non-fundie woman to develop a "lengthy" relationship?

(2) Doug is the epitome of a patriarchal chauvinist. It's hard to imagine him calling, say, a Botkinette a "woman" as opposed to a "young lady."

So do we want to place bets on how long it will take for the whole story to unravel? There is bound to be a traitor who releases some informations about it.

Also:

Hot Greek boy in Mykonos?

Botkinette?

Michelle Duggar?

A prostitute?

Male intern?

Female intern?

Stealing money from VF?

Doug the tool stuck his tool in something he shouldn't have!

I'll place $20 on a hot Greek male prostitute in Mykonos paid for with embezzled VF funds please.

Is there a pool? Put five dollars on: Concocted a story about an affair to explain some missing funds.

To be a Doug Phillips kind of story, the blame should be put on a femme fatale who bewitched him into embezzling funds from his brilliant movie project to finance her decadent lifestyle. The story works better if she's an exotic foreigner: she lives on some other continent, so they never consummated their affair. (But he was toooootally attracted to a woman.) You know how corrupt foreign governments are, no wonder he can't verify her existence?

Well, this is a fine mess!

Here's my theory on what "went down": Doug is caught "fellowshipping" with a man. The person who catches him is a woman at VF. The woman offers compassion and friendship instead of condemnation. Doug is a tool (and not a sharp one) but it has to be hard to be so far in the closet - so he laps up the friendship and becomes close the woman (as a friend). Then he is caught making plans to meet someone (a man) for a rendezvous. Who he is meeting is not clear - so to avoid exposing the real truth he throws the woman under the bus and says that he had an emotional affair with her.

My prediction: we will next see a public interview with Doug and his wife. He will tearfully (while still maintaining a manly wide stance) confess his sins. Beall (?spelled correctly) will stand behind him like a rock. Doug will say something to the effect that he has refound God and God has forgiven him. Then he and his wife will continue to keep up appearances in public while Doug goes back to his romping. Inevitably it will all happen again.

Beall is no vacant eyed, Gothard wife. She is a mean snake in her own right, and has actively participated in ostracizing and spying on women and their families who get caught on the wrong side of Doug or the VF Patriarchy (Jen Epstein referenced above is Exhibit A). I don't have much sympathy to spare for her, and anyway I suspect she is going to take this disgrace out of Dougie's hide strip by strip.

They deserve each other.

If it's actually a woman, my money is on Lourdes Torres. If it's a man, well, sky's the limit. He certainly would have his pick.

My gut instinct is that the "affair" is a red herring, and that there were some serious financial misdeeds going on. THAT will be the big story, I bet.

edited for clarity

I am responding to posts as I read them or I will forget what I want to say since this thread is already 13 pages long, so this may have been asked/answered already and I haven't gotten to it. I picked an awful day to be asleep during the day!

Would embezzlement be worse than an affair in their circle? I'd think that an affair, particularly if it was with a SAHD type would be much worse than "oops I messed up the bookkeeping a little (lot) in my favor." These families all have eleventy billion kids, so I would think the lure of money would be more easily forgiven that looking at those evil, tempting womenfolk.

interesting. Don't think it is a woman but we shall see?

I wonder if Dougie is still planning to speak at NCFIC's conference this weekend in Asheville? I believe he was featured as a main speaker....What a perfect time to beg forgiveness from his flock, parade his family out there and have a public reconciliation with Beall no?

Chris Jeub is talking about it on his Facebook page.

Wow, and Chris is not all that sympathetic. I guess he's ready to expand his market share!

Chris Jeub

14 hours ago.

Texting my daughter Cynthia Jeub about a big news event.

Me: "Call me when you're off work. We should talk about this."

Cynthia: "Can't, Dad. I'm going to a concert tonight."

Me: "But this is big news! It's the end of the world as we know it!"

Cynthia: "And I feel fine."

It really must be a small influence. These things usually do make the wires just for the salacious aspects and the hypocrisy. Not a media peep have we heard.

I am responding to posts as I read them or I will forget what I want to say since this thread is already 13 pages long, so this may have been asked/answered already and I haven't gotten to it. I picked an awful day to be asleep during the day!

Would embezzlement be worse than an affair in their circle? I'd think that an affair, particularly if it was with a SAHD type would be much worse than "oops I messed up the bookkeeping a little (lot) in my favor." These families all have eleventy billion kids, so I would think the lure of money would be more easily forgiven that looking at those evil, tempting womenfolk.

Just from my experience, yes. Having an affair is bad, but forgivable. Stealing money, not so much. Gothard admitted to having inappropriate relationships with his female staff back in the 80's and that did not hurt his ministry in the least bit. He said he was sorry and that was it. Granted that wasn't an affair, but he was taking advantage of women who were of legal age, but still being sent there by their parents to learn how to live a godly life and he took advantage of the power he had over them.

I bet he hopes to stay president of the for profit Vision Forum and eventually take back over everything. It does seem like they are completely separate companies, but I don't know enough to really tell.

interesting. Don't think it is a woman but we shall see?

I wonder if Dougie is still planning to speak at NCFIC's conference this weekend in Asheville? I believe he was featured as a main speaker....What a perfect time to beg forgiveness from his flock, parade his family out there and have a public reconciliation with Beall no?

He said he was cancelling all upcoming speaking engagements.

:oops:

The woman and her household??

WHOA, that is weird. I didn't add that face; I don't know the text equivalent for it and I was posting from my phone, which didn't work very well. It's like my phone knew what face I was making while I was posting, and added it for me!

Anyway, if I'd been on a real computer and halfway coherent, I would have gone on to say, what I meant was that using the phrase "the woman and her household" is beyond dismissive. cf. "I did not have sexual relations with that woman." If McDonald had said something like "the woman who was hurt" or "the woman who also sinned", at least it would have been the tiniest acknowledgement of her being more than a biological female.

And saying "household" just makes this seem anachronistic (surprising, I know). Are we including her slaves, her cows, and her ass?

To the person who asked who Twin2 was: she is an FJ contributor who has long been the scourge of Doug, and now she reaps her reward. Yea, verily.

I took the 'woman and her household' to refer to Beall and the kids, rather than the Other Woman.

I just spent the last 90 minutes reading this whole thread. This is fascinating news and I agree with most people here:

1) Whatever happened is much deeper than he is letting on. The woman is a smokescreen for what probably is embezzlement of funds and other transgressions over the years. He finally just got caught.

2) What the heck will become of those poor interns. So much for THAT program. I wonder if Petey Bradrick will go in and swoop up the little fragile birds and bring them to NC where he can finish out their schoolin'.

3) Interesting perspective by Jen of Jen's Gems. I'm sure she finds more than just a little delight by all this.

4) The financial situation doesn't surprise me at all (that the film festival was operating at a consistant loss). You know all those manly romps and costume balls had to be funded somehow. I wonder how the LeClerc brothers (filmmakers) and Tait Zimmerman and family (related to the LeClercs through marriage) and all the Bradricks are feeling about all this. A little brainwashed, maybe? One can only hope.

5) Dougie's got a law degree. He can practice law if he needs money. But you can bet he's covered his own ass financially so won't need to. But it's a shame they pulled the VF catalog just in time for Christmas. Can you imagine how many people already had items from the catalog on their lists?

6) And, I'd also like to see Scott Brown address this. He won't, of course. But he used to work for Doug, and now has his NCFIC and all of it's ridiculous conferences (one this weekend), AND Dougie performed the royal wedding of his eldest daughter, Kelly (Petey Bradrick's wife), so he must be at least somewhat personally wounded.

I'm really looking forward to seeing this story unfold. I don't really care if the "woman" was a man or not, there had to be some kind of rumor avalanche that forced him to resign so publicly.

What a tool.

1) Whatever happened is much deeper than he is letting on. The woman is a smokescreen for what probably is embezzlement of funds and other transgressions over the years. He finally just got caught.

5) Dougie's got a law degree. He can practice law if he needs money. But you can bet he's covered his own ass financially so won't need to. But it's a shame they pulled the VF catalog just in time for Christmas. Can you imagine how many people already had items from the catalog on their lists?

If the first statement is true (and I would be very surprised if it wasn't) and the legal system gets involved, will he still be able to practice? Even if he's not practising law, would anyone (other than his mates, who always believe in sweeping things under the rug forgiveness) hire him? Being found guilty of deliberate financial mismanagement is a pretty big black mark against a potential employee.

6) And, I'd also like to see Scott Brown address this. He won't, of course. But he used to work for Doug, and now has his NCFIC and all of it's ridiculous conferences (one this weekend), AND Dougie performed the royal wedding of his eldest daughter, Kelly (Petey Bradrick's wife), so he must be at least somewhat personally wounded.

Scotty was also a secret (founding?) member of the board of VF for a long time and was paid as such. When his old congregation found out it was added to the list of complaints against him.

As delightful as the official story is, I really want to see this unfold over a longer term. I want to see how the financial aspects play out and how it affects things between Doug Phillips and the other QF elites.

A few quick thoughts:

1. Count me in with those who are only surprised that the emotional and romantic (in a pig's ear) affair was supposedly with a woman.

2. Doug has only resigned from the board of Vision Forum Ministries - the 501©3 - and discontinued his speaking engagements. There is not a single squeak about his turning over control of Vision Forum, Inc. - the business and money making end. I've always suspected that the nonprofit was deliberately run at a loss. The catalogue may be making money hand over fist and he can keep that going. He may lose the interns though.

3. I just looked. As of this morning the board of Vision Forum Ministries consists of Doug (resigned), Scott Bown, Jim Zes and Don Hart. A very small board. If Scott Brown is out, what do we know of Zes and Hart?

4. I just totally squicked myself out by rewatching the vimeo of Doug singing "Time to Say Goodbye" with Faith. I wanted to swat his hand away from her when he kept reaching out to fondle her hair the first time I watched it. Watching it again in the light of this news made my brain go to a very bad place. :brain-bleach:

And saying "household" just makes this seem anachronistic (surprising, I know). Are we including her slaves, her cows, and her ass?

Thoughts of ass were quite likely involved... :lol:

Archived