You and me!

Schadenfreude!

Making the world a better place...

To be!

GARY:

S-C-H-A-D-E-N-F-R-E-U-D-E!

(Sorry. I just needed closure or something.)

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The other thought....If it is a vision forum girl/woman....she may not have realized that an inappropriate relationship was taking place. So I would consider her a victim rather than a co conspirator.

Doug Phillips is a tool!

The other thought....If it is a vision forum girl/woman....she may not have realized that an inappropriate relationship was taking place. So I would consider her a victim rather than a co conspirator.

Doug Phillips is a tool!

In Doug's world, no woman is on equal footing with him, or any other man. I honestly don't see how a relationship with him could ever be completely consensual. Not in the true sense of the word.

Ugh, this poor girl

homeschoolersanonymous.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/its-not-the-affair-that-irks-me-mr-phillips

It has triggered so much. I’m the weak sex. I need a man to protect me. Eve at the fruit first, you know.

I couldn’t date in high school. I was not supposed to go to college because I would lose my virginity. I couldn’t be trusted anywhere. I needed accountability.

I couldn’t speak in church. God couldn’t entrust me like he did men. I remember laying my head up against the “men’s meeting†at church (not his church) as a young adult, hurt because I couldn’t hear from God like them.

I remember so much of Vision Forum, all the catalogues and books and dolls. My sister as a kid entered their film festival, but was told she couldn’t receive the award alone (if she had won), not without our dad by her side.

Dougie's fall from grace proves what the rest of the world already knows. There is no "weak" sex. We are all slaves to our desires. We ALL need to exercise self control and accountability. The strength and ability to overcome our desires is not determined by what is between our legs, but what is between our ears. Keeping women submissive and ignorant has nothing to do with protecting their chastity but more about protecting their authority.

Doug Phillips is a tool

Vision Forum is a cult

Break the chain, break free, become what you are entitled to be.

...Dougie might rise from the ashes, just like Jim Bakker did, but it won't be the same for him nor will he be involved in VF...

Agree.

Additionally - unless the CFO mentioned earlier in the thread actually was running the show all along and Doug was mostly figurehead - but probably not even under that circumstance, given that Doug really has been the public face and the public voice of VF - I suspect that the death knell for VF is already sounding. It may take a while, a year, or 18 months or so, to happen - but I suspect it will happen. Fundie organizations are man-centered, despite protestations to the contrary, and they fall apart when the man who is the face of the organizations falls.

I have seen it many times. Unfortunately, in the process, a great deal of harm, at least in the short run, is done to the sheep that were the followers. No sympathy from me wasted on Doug, but I do feel for the others he has and will continue to hurt and harm.

The possible downfall of VF is perhaps indicative that quiver full/patriarchy may be just another fad, like the Sheparding movement or the Jesus Freaks movement. The list of unmarried adults sons and daughters of this movement is astonishing, given how much they prize early marriage and militant fecundity. The lack of education and practical skills makes it unlikely that those who are married will be able to adequate maintain their quivers. The leaders are falling, and the movement is unsustainable.

reading the financials where he was bringing in 60K from the not for profit... and given that we understand the for profit may have been having problems (no paper catalogs) and this will likely hamper sales, it strikes me that he is more or less oz the great and terrible, or at least the little man behind the curtain of VF. Because, I somehow thought the church he pastored was a megachurch (there are so many in TX) and the one on their website seems to be no bigger than the PP's storefront, if that large, with some kind of side building and, from the google street view, a portapotty. And if he's the imperial wizard of the he-man woman haters club, and this is as good as they can do, then I feel much better about the whole deal. I reread a bit of his philosophy, and frankly, I hope the whole group of VF leandership fall with a splat. I am sorry their kids are not educated, but let them live on jobs equal to their education or go find training and join the rest of the world in living on what you can earn, not on other people's tithe. Let their grandchildren view them as odd ducks or flat out with disdain. Having some of the royal wives have to find jobs as church secretaries "under the authority of another man" in order to feed the family would be a nice touch as well.

I guess this might also account for the distance we've observed over the past two or so years between Doug and Geoff, and Doug and Voddie. Maybe they knew something was up.

ETA: I try very hard not to indulge in schadenfreude, but in this case? I am, at least for Doug. I feel bad for Beall (even though she is an asshole too by all accounts) and certainly the kids*, but Doug is just responsible for so much terrible and/or ridiculous bullshit.

*Those kids are going from being members of one of the "first families" of fundiedom to the children of a disgraced man. Won't be easy, since they live in such an insular world.

"Sins of the fathers." Those kids are screwed. Once the patriarch goes down, the entire family goes down with him. Who wants to ally with them now?

"Sins of the fathers." Those kids are screwed. Once the patriarch goes down, the entire family goes down with him. Who wants to ally with them now?

No pity for him, no pity for her, and I hope the kids can make different life choices when they are grown. The kids escaping VF and possibly Dominionism is better for them in the long run than not, if they make that break.

From my conversation with Alexandra last night:

Alessandra Rossi-Filippi

OMG!!!!!!!""

thank you for sharing! holy crap!!!!!

OMG

She's kept out of the loop from the TX side but I'm surprised the DC side who she is still tight with didn't tell her.

:wink-kitty:

Jen Epstein has an interesting update/commentary on the situation:

jensgems.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/how-patriarchy-itself-is-the-slippery-slope-that-led-doug-phillips-to-serious-sin-with-another-woman/

She's kept out of the loop from the TX side but I'm surprised the DC side who she is still tight with didn't tell her.

I must have missed something. Who is Alessandra Rossi-Filippi?

Jen Epstein has an interesting update/commentary on the situation:

jensgems.wordpress.com/2013/11/01/how-patriarchy-itself-is-the-slippery-slope-that-led-doug-phillips-to-serious-sin-with-another-woman/

She names who she believes the woman is without having anything to go on but a hunch. It doesn't seem fair to the woman she has named, who might be completely innocent.

I have to say - I don't like putting her name online. That's just rumor and speculation, and could have some repercussions for the young woman, whether it's her or not.

marshill.com/2013/10/30/the-big-blog-post-on-adultery

Mark Driscoll posted a blog entry on adultery today. While it doesn't mention Dougie's name, it suspicious timing. Furthermore, Driscoll mentions fundamentalism can contribute to adultery. :whistle: Nah, it totally wasn't directed at the Tool or anything!> :lol:

Driscoll has mentioned Vision Forum before (in a somewhat derisive manner) so I know he knows who Doug is. I was waiting to see if Driscoll would say anything, since he seems to have perpetual foot-in-mouth syndrome. I was hoping for something more salacious from him, so i'm a bit disappointed.

She doesn't actually name a woman as the person with whom Doug had an emotional affair, but does say that a nanny is the most likely possibility. And she names one nanny who was in the infamous Return of the Daughters video. That may be a round about way to say who she believes it is. If it is a nanny that is just another burden for those kids. Poor kids. Who do they trust now?

Did you already know her?

She doesn't actually name a woman as the person with whom Doug had an emotional affair, but does say that a nanny is the most likely possibility. And she names one nanny who was in the infamous Return of the Daughters video. That may be a round about way to say who she believes it is. If it is a nanny that is just another burden for those kids. Poor kids. Who do they trust now?

You're right. Re-reading those two paragraphs, she doesn't actually say she believes the nanny she named is the woman in question. She went out of her way to name that one nanny though, so I guess I made the leap that that is what she believes.

ETA: I read today the old Yuku thread regarding Jen's Gems that someone on this thread posted a link to. Someone on that old thread said Jen's daughter was told by this (named) nanny that she couldn't have anything to do with Jen's daughter anymore after Jen and family were no longer welcome at Doug's church. Apparently they were friends once upon a time. Maybe there are still hard feelings.

marshill.com/2013/10/30/the-big-blog-post-on-adultery

Mark Driscoll posted a blog entry on adultery today. While it doesn't mention Dougie's name, it suspicious timing. Furthermore, Driscoll mentions fundamentalism can contribute to adultery. :whistle: Nah, it totally wasn't directed at the Tool or anything!> :lol:

Driscoll has mentioned Vision Forum before (in a somewhat derisive manner) so I know he knows who Doug is. I was waiting to see if Driscoll would say anything, since he seems to have perpetual foot-in-mouth syndrome. I was hoping for something more salacious from him, so i'm a bit disappointed.

As an aside: how long until Driscoll gets caught doing something similar or worse?

If the woman is NOT said nanny, Dougie will certainly clear her name, right? He's got to know she is the first name most people are coming up with and if it truly isn't her, he owes it to her to straighten that out publicly.

And yes, I can hardly wait to see Driscoll falter. It will most certainly happen sometime, right?

She names who she believes the woman is without having anything to go on but a hunch. It doesn't seem fair to the woman she has named, who might be completely innocent.

After reading Jen's post I am almost surprised the patriarchy/quiverfull movements have not thought about introducing polygamy.

Archived