IGNORED

Duggars, Duggars Everywhere - General Discussion Part 2

happy atheist

1fd909f6629c11e3a84f12dfa62606e4_6.jpg

Anna posted this picture of the 4 year olds. Josie is so much smaller/shorter. :(

That means nothing. My 26 week preemie 3 year old is not even on the regular kid growth charts and is about the size of a 2 year old. She is advanced developmentally - off the charts in everything and ahead of her classmates.

That implication and frowny face are pretty insulting to every other preemie baby out there, you know.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That means nothing. My 26 week preemie 3 year old is not even on the regular kid growth charts and is about the size of a 2 year old. She is advanced developmentally - off the charts in everything and ahead of her classmates.

That implication and frowny face are pretty insulting to every other preemie baby out there, you know.

This exactly. My preemie may be taller than average, but what if he weren't? Would I have been doing something wrong as a parent? That sort of speculation about a preemie's height or development are really uncalled for, unwelcome, and offensive to preemies and preemie parents.

Seriously. And just ridiculous in general. My sister and I are 16 months apart. I'm the older one, but in our childhood photos she's almost always taller. Neither of us were even unusually tall or short....there's just a lot of normal variation in height, with children as well as adults.

We have a large group of little girls this age in our family right now, what's funny is they go in exact opposite height order from oldest to youngest with the just turned 5 year old the smallest and the just turned 4 year old the tallest. It means exactly nothing.

I was a regular term baby and I grew to a 5 foot tall adult. My sister and my cousins and even my nieces are taller than me. And I'm hangin'! ;)

WTF is Mackynzie wearing? A sweater and tights? She was wearing a mini-skirt in one of the DC episodes last season, maybe they are turning fundie light. pants are a million times more modest than what she's wearing in that photo.

That looks like a sweater dress and tights, it's probably a little above knee length when she's standing up. But she's 4, so probably doesn't care about yanking her skirt down if it rides up when she's sitting down.

Anna posted this picture of the 4 year olds. Josie is so much smaller/shorter. :(

Say what you will about the Duggars, but the three little girls are so adorable in this photo.

Say what you will about the Duggars, but the three little girls are so adorable in this photo.

They do look very sweet and giggly like that (even if it's set up at the moment, I imagine that they get along well off-camera too)

So what? Some people are naturally small. Some people are naturally big. Some people are naturally average. It doesn't mean jack shit.

Exactly. The only thing I thought when I saw these three was that they looked precious, and that the image presented here would be suitable for framing. :)

So what? Some people are naturally small. Some people are naturally big. Some people are naturally average. It doesn't mean jack shit.

EXACTLY!!

My 5 year old and her best friend are 2 days apart. My 5 year old is the size of a 7 year old (over 4ft tall and nearly 70 lbs) and her best friend is closer to a 4 year old - she's 3ft 6in, 37 lbs - they look so far apart in age! And I know the stats because both were at the doctor this week and we compared...)

(Also, my 5 year old who is an Amazon compared to the best friend? was born at 33 weeks, where the friend was 42 weeks... )

FWIW? That's such an adorable photo! I hope the three girls get along well! Despite that I don't agree with the Duggars having a plethora of kids? I am so jealous of those kids having cousins and siblings close in age - we're all spread out in my family.)

So, I was selected to do a review of Growing Up Duggar and good God it is steeped in the Gothard kool-aid. Of course, they don't mention his name but refer to him as "a bible teacher" a few times throughout the book. They do, however, mention IBLP, embassyinstitute.org, and ATI. I'm not allowed to directly quote but, to give a general idea. The book is all about relationships and each chapter focuses on the different relationship in a young woman's life. I'm about 1/2 way through and they have retold a lot of the SOS. The story of Jana giving Jessa her most prized jewelry, how fun it is to be a J'slave because it's like playing with a live doll, J'chelle and Jim boob's story of meeting and dating. So far the only "new" thing I gleaned from the book was that Michelle struggled with an eating disorder in high school but with the help of IBLP and JB she was able to recover. :roll: They also go into detail about the forced monthly confessionals with Mom and Dad in the prayer closet. :wtf: No mention of Jessa's courtship in the copy I'm reviewing but, it's not a final edit. Snore, snore snore.

I'm really anxious to see your review! I wonder if they'll make any edits if they find out its the SOS in a new package and BORING.

Exactly. The only thing I thought when I saw these three was that they looked precious, and that the image presented here would be suitable for framing. :)

Yeah, they do look cute, and I'm not really even a "kid person." I just wish that we could see Joy and the J'slaves looking this happy.

I'm really anxious to see your review! I wonder if they'll make any edits if they find out its the SOS in a new package and BORING.

Me too! Do you have a blog or something Ampak where you will be posting your review? I've never read any of the other Duggar books but I might try to get this one from the library. That is, if it ever gets released.

It's been a good many years since I have cast off the Catholic beliefs I was raised with, but I clearly remember being forced to go to Confession, along with my classmates, when I attended Catholic school as a child. We were forced to attend bi-yearly appointments with our priest and "confess our sins." We could also talk about anything else on our minds. These meetings were mandatory, not voluntary. I learned quickly that it was far wiser to stall and say nothing of any significance when I later discovered that our priest was informing our parents of what we said during Confession.

i and all my classmates were most certainly forced to go to confession. the nuns taught us that jesus was coming any day and we would go to hell if we had a " black spot" on our souls. plus, you couldn't receive communion if you hadn't confessed. everyone would notice if you didn't go up for communion. peer pressure at its worst. it was brutal. i had nothing to confess and would always struggle to make something up

Ahh, but I said that:

Catholics, by doctrine, are never "forced" to Confess their sins to a Priest. Just as we are responsible for our actions (and sins), we are also solely responsible for seeking absolution. So, no, being forced or required to confess your sins to your parents in a "prayer closet" is nowhere even close to "sounding Catholic".

Surely, you might have been led to the confessional, but what happened once in the confessional was up to you. If you didn't want to "confess" and repent, then that was your choice. (And no, it's not just semantics.)

The Priest is the only person who knows what you say in there, and they aren't going to report to anyone "little Johnny didn't confess to putting gum in his sister's hair", or ask someone "tell me your secrets and desires". HUGE difference.

I don't have a blog. But I will be sure to post a screen shot of my review here. I was resign last night and came across and bit in the book that I think could possibly e a stab a free jinger. It was located the chapter about relating to culture and they were discussing the internet. They said they've heard down discussion boards should be called bitter boards because people drawn to them seen to be bitter. That bitter people congregate because misery loves company and it's sad that people find pleasure in picking apart others lives. They go on about how bad gossip us and quote proverbs 11:13. My jaw dropped when I read it!

Ahh, but I said that:

Surely, you might have been led to the confessional, but what happened once in the confessional was up to you. If you didn't want to "confess" and repent, then that was your choice. (And no, it's not just semantics.)

The Priest is the only person who knows what you say in there, and they aren't going to report to anyone "little Johnny didn't confess to putting gum in his sister's hair", or ask someone "tell me your secrets and desires". HUGE difference.

It's a Gothard principle. I've learned so much through embassy institute. They are very intentional to reiterate his principals in show/books in ways that I didn't catch until watch a couple videos in EI. It's scary.

Ahh, but I said that:

I don't agree with this at all. I can't speak for the experiences of anyone else here, but those nuns were pretty good about laying on the guilt at my school. "Now be sure and tell the priest all that's in your heart, R&M, because God sees everything, and if you aren't completely honest, God will punish you." They were manipulating me and other children in our formative years and abused the power they had over us, all while cloaking it under the guise of doing God's will.

As to your second statement, there were things I said in confession ONLY to my priest, a man I was told to trust, and were later parroted back to me word for word by my mother as ammunition during her abusive rages. I made the mistake of telling him that she once beat me with savagely with a belt because I had accidentally ruined one of her good table linens. I don't even know why I told him, accept that I was 7 years old and sad over the incident. I was hurting and wanted comfort. My priest was the only man I ever told this story to. Awhile later, during one of her abusive rages, I had to listen to my mother scream, "Someone told me that you said I beat you with a belt because you ruined one of my table napkins! Are you crazy, you little bitch? Do you want your school to call CPS?!"

She got regular phone calls from the school (she would never told me why she got them), but for the longest time, I was convinced she could read my mind. I didn't begin to put things together until years later when I talked to other people I went to the same school with who also told me about this happening with their own parents.

Unless my mother was born a telepath a la Sookie Stackhouse, then I'm pretty sure that the information she learned about me came from the only person I told, which was my priest. As to your disbelief, that's your choice, but I know what I lived through. Interpretation of doctrine really has nothing to do with what happened to me; adults in power who make poor choices that exploit the feelings of innocent children does.

On paper communism sounds good. Its usually not doctrine that is bad, but rather the application. I fully believe that not every priest keeps to his role. That's not to say everyone in the religion is flawed but when young children are indoctrinated into a church they are taught that if they don't abide by the rules they'll suffer in hell for eternity, or that god will punish them if they don't repent. Its all mind games, and you can't see past this until you are an adult that has been exposed to other options and one who understands that people are flawed and lie.

The duggars are like this. Their doctrine is about being good modest people, who want to do right by others but in practice they are controlled by their parents with constant monitoring, no freedom in dress, and then there's the suppression of women, but if they work how will they produce and raise gods arrows? I wonder how they talk about the confessionals. I imagine for most of those kids thats their only one on one time with their parents.

I don't agree with this at all. I can't speak for the experiences of anyone else here, but those nuns were pretty good about laying on the guilt at my school. "Now be sure and tell the priest all that's in your heart, R&M, because God sees everything, and if you aren't completely honest, God will punish you." They were manipulating me and other children in our formative years and abused the power they had over us, all while cloaking it under the guise of doing God's will.

As to your second statement, there were things I said in confession ONLY to my priest, a man I was told to trust, and were later parroted back to me word for word by my mother as ammunition during her abusive rages. I made the mistake of telling him that she once beat me with savagely with a belt because I had accidentally ruined one of her good table linens. I don't even know why I told him, accept that I was 7 years old and sad over the incident. I was hurting and wanted comfort. My priest was the only man I ever told this story to. Awhile later, during one of her abusive rages, I had to listen to my mother scream, "Someone told me that you said I beat you with a belt because you ruined one of my table napkins! Are you crazy, you little bitch? Do you want your school to call CPS?!"

She got regular phone calls from the school (she would never told me why she got them), but for the longest time, I was convinced she could read my mind. I didn't begin to put things together until years later when I talked to other people I went to the same school with who also told me about this happening with their own parents.

Unless my mother was born a telepath a la Sookie Stackhouse, then I'm pretty sure that the information she learned about me came from the only person I told, which was my priest. As to your disbelief, that's your choice, but I know what I lived through. Interpretation of doctrine really has nothing to do with what happened to me; adults in power who make poor choices that exploit the feelings of innocent children does.

Some priests molested children in their congregations and the church covered it up for years, so why is it such a stretch to believe that a priest might rat out the kids to their parents with Confessional information?

So, I was selected to do a review of Growing Up Duggar and good God it is steeped in the Gothard kool-aid. Of course, they don't mention his name but refer to him as "a bible teacher" a few times throughout the book. They do, however, mention IBLP, embassyinstitute.org, and ATI. I'm not allowed to directly quote but, to give a general idea. The book is all about relationships and each chapter focuses on the different relationship in a young woman's life. I'm about 1/2 way through and they have retold a lot of the SOS. The story of Jana giving Jessa her most prized jewelry, how fun it is to be a J'slave because it's like playing with a live doll, J'chelle and Jim boob's story of meeting and dating. So far the only "new" thing I gleaned from the book was that Michelle struggled with an eating disorder in high school but with the help of IBLP and JB she was able to recover. :roll: They also go into detail about the forced monthly confessionals with Mom and Dad in the prayer closet. :wtf: No mention of Jessa's courtship in the copy I'm reviewing but, it's not a final edit. Snore, snore snore.

Their book is out now?

Some priests molested children in their congregations and the church covered it up for years, so why is it such a stretch to believe that a priest might rat out the kids to their parents with Confessional information?

Well there's the Seal of the Confessional. What the penitent says to the priest in the confessional is to held in the utmost secrecy until his death. He may not reveal what the penitent says even if it will save his life or anyones else's. The penalty for breaking the Seal are excommunication which may only be lifted by the Pope and the priest is, of course, defrocked. I'm not saying that the Seal is never violated, but doing so is considered an extremely grave offense.

The Church of England and the Lutheran Church have their own versions of the Seal of Confession.

Archived