IGNORED

Duggars, Duggars Everywhere - General Discussion Part 2

happy atheist

But Josie doesn't seem to understand a lot of things around her.. Jordyn or a buddy always has to cue her in the talking heads for example, at least that's what it looks like to me. She can blow kisses and say "dog" and "kitty" and "pepper", sure, but what about whole sentences? I'm no expert in child development, but to me, it looks like speech therapy or whatever else helps her improve would be a good idea. And yes, I know we don't know if she already gets that, but I don't believe it. To Boob and Michelle, she's perfect.

The talking heads are a little kid being asked to perform on camera. They are not everyday interactions. They are also several months behind current time by the time we see them. Several months is a long time for small children. And little kids that you see all the time are much more understandable than little kids you don't interact with frequently. For example with my own children I could understand them as toddlers/pre-scholars much better than I can understand same age children who I don't know.

Lots of little kids don't like to perform on cue. An example would be when you try to get a bunch of small children at a family gathering to all look at the camera for a picture..it will generally take several try's to even get them looking the same direction, let alone smiling. Shy children are unlikely to suddenly start having complex conversations on cue. Wiggly children aren't likely to focus on whatever topic the cameraman is coaching them on. Silly kids will be silly. If anything it's a good thing that these 3 and 4 year olds aren't so beaten down that they perform tricks like a trained seal.

My thoughts come from being a parent, grandparent, credentialed pre-school teacher and having worked in both general pre-school and therapeutic childcare situations.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said this before, but I'll say it again - it's almost impossible to judge Josie's development based on the snippets that we see of her (and this goes for any of the kids). There's just no way. I shudder to think what some of you would diagnose me with if you could see old home videos of me from when I was about Josie's age. I was developing normally if not a little quicker than average, but I swear in some of these videos I seem to have autism, ADHD, deafness, and/or a brain injury. Half the time when people were video taping me and they asked me a question, I wouldn't bother responding or even looking at them. The other half of the time I'd be running around like a 'howler'. I had a pretty major speech impediment, too, so I'm sure people would have been aghast that I was 7 or 8 and still speaking like a toddler.

Josie may very well have issues, but there's no way that we can say that with any certainty at all. Frankly, I think there are a lot of people who want her to have issues, and they're projecting that onto what they see of her, because it gives them more ammo to criticize JB and Michelle. There's plenty to criticize without making up developmental delays that may or may not exist.

Josie has been seen by some of the best pediatric doctors in Arkansas. If they saw developmental delays and issues where therapy was needed I'm sure they prescribed the therapy. Michelle told one of the posters here that Josie was getting at least one kind of therapy. Josie may not be gifted or physically talented, but she could in most areas test within the range of normal development and still not do well in snippets filmed for the show.

I've said this before, but I'll say it again - it's almost impossible to judge Josie's development based on the snippets that we see of her (and this goes for any of the kids). There's just no way. I shudder to think what some of you would diagnose me with if you could see old home videos of me from when I was about Josie's age. I was developing normally if not a little quicker than average, but I swear in some of these videos I seem to have autism, ADHD, deafness, and/or a brain injury. Half the time when people were video taping me and they asked me a question, I wouldn't bother responding or even looking at them. The other half of the time I'd be running around like a 'howler'. I had a pretty major speech impediment, too, so I'm sure people would have been aghast that I was 7 or 8 and still speaking like a toddler.

Josie may very well have issues, but there's no way that we can say that with any certainty at all. Frankly, I think there are a lot of people who want her to have issues, and they're projecting that onto what they see of her, because it gives them more ammo to criticize JB and Michelle. There's plenty to criticize without making up developmental delays that may or may not exist.

I wish I could like this 10x. Totally spot on.

Jodie's doctors may have prescribed therapy, but that does not mean her parents follow through on the doctors' recommendations , either in part or in total. I am not saying that Jodie is developmentally delayed -just that her parents need to parade their miracle child around that Josie may not be getting the help she needs.

I am having a slight disagreement on the Life is Not All Pickles and Hairspray FB page. They think she may be somewhat behind but showing no major issues. They also deny speech issues of Jordyn and Jennifer. Josie may have improved but still light years behind IMO.

Are you the person with a similar Facebook name who is slamming Free Jinger on that page?

Nobody has to share my opinion, that's the only thing it is - an opinion. But I'm allowed to say it, and I'm not making anything up. I see something, I think about it and I form an opinion like everyone does. And I know that has also been said here before, but most of what we discuss here boils down to speculation.

Nobody has to share my opinion, that's the only thing it is - an opinion. But I'm allowed to say it, and I'm not making anything up. I see something, I think about it and I form an opinion like everyone does. And I know that has also been said here before, but most of what we discuss here boils down to speculation.

You're right. I'm sorry for telling you that you weren't allowed to share your opinion - oh, wait, I never told you that, did I? Carry on. ;)

You're right. I'm sorry for telling you that you weren't allowed to share your opinion - oh, wait, I never told you that, did I? Carry on. ;)

I thought you implied that my opinion was not wanted, but now that I reread what you said, you got me, I don't know where I got that from.

Josie's also clearly the last one Michelle is going to have, and was in precarious health for a while, so there may be some forced infantilization going on, conscious or not, where she is treated like a baby by the whole family.

The video of Josie "Singing" is just babbling. I love how Grandma goes on about how she has perfect pitch. Are you kidding? Josie is definitely going to be the baby forever in J'Chelle's eyes. They need to treat her like the nearly four year old girl she is.

The video of Josie "Singing" is just babbling. I love how Grandma goes on about how she has perfect pitch. Are you kidding? Josie is definitely going to be the baby forever in J'Chelle's eyes. They need to treat her like the nearly four year old girl she is.

I just take that as Grandma being a loving grandmother. My grandmother is a piano teacher and we began lessons when I was barely three years old. We have old home movies of my "music" which was just barely a scale. You can hear my grandmother in the background complimenting my beautiful form and melodies.

It may be annoying, but I have no doubt Grandma loves all her grandchildren equally and unconditionally. Every one of their accomplishments is likely perfect in her eyes and I can see her proclaiming the same to everyone who will listen.

I just take that as Grandma being a loving grandmother. My grandmother is a piano teacher and we began lessons when I was barely three years old. We have old home movies of my "music" which was just barely a scale. You can hear my grandmother in the background complimenting my beautiful form and melodies.

It may be annoying, but I have no doubt Grandma loves all her grandchildren equally and unconditionally. Every one of their accomplishments is likely perfect in her eyes and I can see her proclaiming the same to everyone who will listen.

Yes, grandparents are notoriously biased when it comes to their grandchildren's achievements. For example, my taking a community college class in high school morphed into me attending Harvard when told by my grandmother. :)

The potential issues with Josie are speculation and we clearly have differing opinions as to whether she seems 'off', needs therapy, or is getting therapy. I find the vagueness itself a bit troubling. We've seen Jim Bob fisting a cow, dental extractions galore, Jason's injury, and we got to hear how Jim Bob and Josh indicate when they're in the mood. And so on. What's sacred? Why wouldn't the Duggars want to be forthcoming, in a consistent way, about any problems Josie is having or not having? If they know people are wondering - like the millions who watched the saga of her birth and precarious months in the hospital and worried about her - why wouldn't they fill us in?

Probably for the same reason they hyped and hinted and obsessed about courtship for season after season while nothing was actually happening, and then when there finally WAS a courtship it was relegated to a five second voice over at the end of the season finale. In other words: who the hell knows with these people.

The potential issues with Josie are speculation and we clearly have differing opinions as to whether she seems 'off', needs therapy, or is getting therapy. I find the vagueness itself a bit troubling. We've seen Jim Bob fisting a cow, dental extractions galore, Jason's injury, and we got to hear how Jim Bob and Josh indicate when they're in the mood. And so on. What's sacred? Why wouldn't the Duggars want to be forthcoming, in a consistent way, about any problems Josie is having or not having? If they know people are wondering - like the millions who watched the saga of her birth and precarious months in the hospital and worried about her - why wouldn't they fill us in?

It's possible that they're not showing therapy because they want to maintain the illusion that Josie is a perfect miracle baby. It's also possible that the therapist doesn't want the cameras around.

Frankly, I think there are a lot of people who want her to have issues, and they're projecting that onto what they see of her, because it gives them more ammo to criticize JB and Michelle. There's plenty to criticize without making up developmental delays that may or may not exist.

This. Very much this.

I wonder what they'll do for Josie's birthday tomorrow. And if they'll do anything for Jordyn's next week or Jinger's later this month.

They'll probably forget that Jordyn exists. Has she ever had a birthday party? I think she's definitely overshadowed by miracle Josie.

I don't think they have ever showed a birthday party for Jordyn, but then again they haven't shown one for each child, just a few. I do think it is likely she is forgotten/over shadowed. She'll be 5 this year.

It's possible that they're not showing therapy because they want to maintain the illusion that Josie is a perfect miracle baby. It's also possible that the therapist doesn't want the cameras around.

With the constant daily noise in that house, it is highly likely that she travels to her therapist(s) rather in home therapy. I cannot imagine attempting speech therapy in a house of four kids, let alone 10+ with wall to wall tile. Any three going on four year old is easily distracted and the therapist may request that her sessions not be taped to be more productive.

I understand they may want to keep any therapy sessions private and I don't blame them at all. But what's the harm in telling us about her status and progress?

Real talk, if they said she is developing normally, has only minor delays, has all kinds of therapies or whatever... people will still say they are lying liers who lie because they. Hate. The. Duggers. and nothing positive can be true.

I think that Mullet is determined to keep Josie at her miracle baby status for life. I love that Sarah Pope is so open about the therapies that Samuel receives, and that she wants what's best for him. She's accepted the issues that he has because of his prematurity, and she's being proactive in helping him reach his full potential. I wish Mullet would take a page from Sarah's book. She seems like a great mom who will go above and beyond for her kids.

As for the show being staged, I'm not surprised. No one remembers Jordyn or Jenny at age four. They are the forgotten children. They were definitely being raised by their sister-moms at that point. J'Chelle knows that Josie is her last baby, and since she doesn't have the 3 M's to baby, she'll keep Josie in an infantile state. What am I saying? J'Chelle could give two hoots about the 3 M's, that she loves so much, and misses so dearly, now that Smugger and Anna live in DC. She's a terrible actress.

Archived