IGNORED

Duggars, Duggars Everywhere - General Discussion Part 2

happy atheist

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Simply because a few people may have felt that they had literally no other choice than to actually "confess", and that you believe that the priest(s) told your parents what you confessed, doesn't mean that it's indicative of Catholicism as a whole. Once you're in the confessional, it's your choice to confess and seek absolution, whether or not you believe that someone would find out what you said.

I was disagreeing with the poster who said the Duggar prayer closet thing "sounds a lot like Catholicism". My sole point was that the Duggars locking a kid in the prayer closet and making them tell their secrets and sins is NOTHING like the ritual of Confession and Penance.

That all being said, I am sorry for everyone who feel/felt like they've been betrayed by their religion and those who are supposed to help and protect you.

Well there's the Seal of the Confessional. What the penitent says to the priest in the confessional is to held in the utmost secrecy until his death. He may not reveal what the penitent says even if it will save his life or anyones else's. The penalty for breaking the Seal are excommunication which may only be lifted by the Pope and the priest is, of course, defrocked. I'm not saying that the Seal is never violated, but doing so is considered an extremely grave offense.

The Church of England and the Lutheran Church have their own versions of the Seal of Confession.

I know that anything said during confession is supposed to never go any further than the confessional. But there has been plenty of evidence of numerous priests and the heirarchy of the Catholic church to commit all kinds of sins and then cover them up. I hope most priests take their vows seriously, but clearly there are many who do not. I have a feeling there are a number of priests who have as little respect for the Seal of the Confessional as they do for the right of any child to not be molested.

Re: Confession (I'm worried I will mess all the quotes up so just not quoting)

I also went to a Catholic school and we had our First Reconciliation in second grade. I remember being told you should confess before major holidays (during Advent/before Christmas and Lent/before Easter) and before getting sacraments like First Communion. So that's when we went for school. I don't think the teachers were being especially pushy but it was a required school activity. I don't know how it would occur to a second/third/fourth grader to go with his/her classmates, but just not talk in the confessional or tell the priest they didn't want to confess. Especially one like me who was concerned about being a good Catholic/"good person" and is worried they will go to hell if they haven't been to confession recently. Our priests were all really nice and they never told on our parents so for me it never got any worse than awkward. (I'm really sorry to that poster, and I do agree with snarkykitty that it's not the norm/should not have happened. I can totally understand why it would turn you off to confession though.)

I think my argument for that would be to move up the age where you make your first confession (what sins does a second grader have anyway?). A slightly older child would, I think, understand the "coming freely" part a bit more. I'd do something to make it less "required" in the curriculum as well... I'm not sure if that would be parent permission slips to opt-in or -out or for older kids providing an alternate, religion/repentance-related activity for those who chose not to participate... idk. But yeah, there was a lot of peer/adult pressure to confess at Catholic school. I LOVED my school and it wasn't a malignant school, I think that pressure is possibly just what you get from starting the sacrament of Reconciliation so early and making it a part of the school curriculum.

(Disclaimer: This is coming from someone who doesn't like confession, and whose parents never modeled going, but I understand that a lot of Catholics really do benefit from it and I have nothing against that.)

I see where confession could be really freeing. If it wasn't to an imediate parent/caregiver. (Not in a "God will forgive me" kind of way, but more of a "I'm carrying this secret and to be able to let someone in on it..." kind of way.)

But to have confession time with your parents? No way in hell.

(I am still anxiously waiting to see if I'm approved for a review copy of their book - it's been 2 weeks since I requested, so I'm starting to think I'll be waiting until March.)

Simply because a few people may have felt that they had literally no other choice than to actually "confess", and that you believe that the priest(s) told your parents what you confessed, doesn't mean that it's indicative of Catholicism as a whole. Once you're in the confessional, it's your choice to confess and seek absolution, whether or not you believe that someone would find out what you said.

I was disagreeing with the poster who said the Duggar prayer closet thing "sounds a lot like Catholicism". My sole point was that the Duggars locking a kid in the prayer closet and making them tell their secrets and sins is NOTHING like the ritual of Confession and Penance.

That all being said, I am sorry for everyone who feel/felt like they've been betrayed by their religion and those who are supposed to help and protect you.

I do agree completely that what I experienced does not represent Catholicism as a whole, and that it's likely not typical of what most Catholic children go through when they are raised Catholic. I may have gotten a bit hot under the collar, and I did not mean to. It was a difficult time for me, and it was years before I understood that it was the people involved who were responsible, and not necessarily the faith.

On a different note; I was watching "Smokey and the Bandit" over the weekend. Do you think JimBob and Michelle knew they wildly raced through Fayettville, Arkansas??? How funny would that have been if Jb and Michelle actually knew/watched the filming!

Thank you!

Sorry to not quite get your name right, DifferentGurl. I didn't mean to leave of the "L". Had a busy afternoon babysitting my granddaughter and didn't have time to edit before it was too late.

PennySycamore: Are you a fan of "You Can't Take it With You?" I love that movie.

Yep! It's one of my favorites. I've also been a fan of Spring Byington ever since I used to watch her in December Bride when I was tiny.

I see where confession could be really freeing. If it wasn't to an imediate parent/caregiver. (Not in a "God will forgive me" kind of way, but more of a "I'm carrying this secret and to be able to let someone in on it..." kind of way.)

But to have confession time with your parents? No way in hell.

(I am still anxiously waiting to see if I'm approved for a review copy of their book - it's been 2 weeks since I requested, so I'm starting to think I'll be waiting until March.)

I can't help but wonder if some of the Duggar kids fudge the confessional, at least for the sake of their egos. It would require some creativity and gumption, which may or not be there, but I also can't get my mind around them telling all to their parents.

I can't help but wonder if some of the Duggar kids fudge the confessional, at least for the sake of their egos. It would require some creativity and gumption, which may or not be there, but I also can't get my mind around them telling all to their parents.

I'm sure they all lie their little asses off and good for them! I wouldn't be telling my deepest darkest thoughts to those people, either. At best, they could take your honest negative emotions, tell you that you're wrong, and secretly judge you. At worst, they could do that on tv. No way. Just no frickin' way would I be honest about anything that mattered.

I'm sure they all lie their little asses off and good for them! I wouldn't be telling my deepest darkest thoughts to those people, either. At best, they could take your honest negative emotions, tell you that you're wrong, and secretly judge you. At worst, they could do that on tv. No way. Just no frickin' way would I be honest about anything that mattered.

I can't imagine grilling the Samurai Kittens for their deepest darkest most innermost thoughts. That is just the biggest mind fuck ever. JB and Jchelle should be ashamed of themselves.

Here's the website for JimBob's school. It was founded in 1976 and happens to have the name of a Civil War battle.

shilohsaints.org

Popping in for a bit of NW AR trivia.

The name Shiloh, in this instance, came from a church in the 1870s that was founded in what is now Springdale. Springdale was known as Shiloh for a time. There are millions of churches named Shiloh, for the biblical city. Have no idea if Shiloh Christian was named for the Civil War, but I do not think it likely, given the history of the name in the area.

Shiloh Christian was started by First Baptist Springdale, now called Cross Church, with satellite campuses all around NWA. Pastored by Ronnie Floyd. As you can imagine, he has all the qualities of a good ol' boy Southern Baptist. :disgust:

Smugger sure has his priorities in order. No birthday wish for Jordyn yesterday, but he says that he supports Phil from Duck Dynasty.

I can't believe that J'Chelle has an app to remember her kids' birthdays. They should be on a huge calendar, like her menstrual cycle is. She'll show that to the world, but has no calendar for her kids' birthdays. J'Chelle sure has her priorities in order. Make Baby 20, and forget about the 19 others that I already have.

We had to go to Childrens last month for a swallow study. There are signs everywhere asking people to be sensitive to others and not to film any part of the hospital. That may be why we dont see anymore Childrens visits... they told tlc to get out lol

Every hospital should have a sign that says no filming. It's an invasion of privacy for patients and their families. Maybe this is why there is no footage of Josie receiving therapies...the hospital or facility won't allow cameras.

So, I was selected to do a review of Growing Up Duggar and good God it is steeped in the Gothard kool-aid. Of course, they don't mention his name but refer to him as "a bible teacher" a few times throughout the book. They do, however, mention IBLP, embassyinstitute.org, and ATI. I'm not allowed to directly quote but, to give a general idea. The book is all about relationships and each chapter focuses on the different relationship in a young woman's life. I'm about 1/2 way through and they have retold a lot of the SOS. The story of Jana giving Jessa her most prized jewelry, how fun it is to be a J'slave because it's like playing with a live doll, J'chelle and Jim boob's story of meeting and dating. So far the only "new" thing I gleaned from the book was that Michelle struggled with an eating disorder in high school but with the help of IBLP and JB she was able to recover. :roll: They also go into detail about the forced monthly confessionals with Mom and Dad in the prayer closet. :wtf: No mention of Jessa's courtship in the copy I'm reviewing but, it's not a final edit. Snore, snore snore.

As to the bolded....WTF? Grown ass women are comparing taking care of their siblings to playing with dolls? :shock: I'm probably going to take a lot of heat for what I'm about to say, but I hope none of the Duggar women have kids. Not with that attitude anyway.

Archived