IGNORED

Duggars, Duggars Everywhere - General Discussion Part 2

happy atheist

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we all agree that children are currently not Jessa's greatest joy in the world :) And that she has every right to feel this way

So anyway, Jim Bob, Jill, and the tv crew went to Nepal in November:

wiwok.wordpress.com/2013/11/

Some of the senior staff who come in occasionally, Rashmi, Asha, Amala, were all there. And so were the Duggars! What? Yes father Duggar and Jill Duggar from the reality TV show about the family with the 19 biological children along with TV crew, invaded the festive cleaning up atmosphere of the center. For my non-US readers, know that even if, like me, you are barely aware of television and popular culture, you cannot help hearing about the Duggars and their TV tribe in the US. Jill D is on her way to becoming a midwife and while visiting Nepal, she wanted to visit a birth center, Nepali midwives and make an episode about her aspirations. Rashmi was interviewed. Mothers, babies and midwives were filmed. A festive mood prevailed.

Theres a pic or two of Jill.

Feel yes but not take her situation out on them.

But that is holding Jessa to a higher standard than her parents!

I am absolutely against spanking and was raised without it. She was blanket trained by her parents, hit with rulers (if memory serves correct) and is carrying on with what she has been taught - IF she is indeed spanking her young siblings.

Do I like it? Hell no! Do I hold it against her? Not nearly as much as I do against her parents. Once she becomes a parent herself with access to books and people who would hopefully tell her just how awful spanking is, then I'll hold it against her.

I feel sad knowing that Jessa is courting and probably only has another year or two before she has children of her own, and there is absolutely nothing she can do about it because she doesn't know how to make this stop happening. I don't think she will be happy with having a baby every year or two, she doesn't seem to like kids much, and I don't want to see the lifestyle finally break her spirit and turn her into a sad eyed, exhausted fundie mother of eleventy billion toddlers.

I can totally relate to why Jessa seems uncaring and harsh sometimes with Jordyn and her other siblings. First, she is just doing what she knows. I was Jessa at one time but I was younger. I was only responsible for one sibling but I was only 10 years old. When my mother divorced my step dad I was basically put in charge of my younger brother 24/7. He is 6 years younger than me. When I was in 4th grade I had to get him up and get him ready. I had to take him to the babysitter (neighbor) before I went to school. I had to pick him up from the babysitter after school come home cook dinner and do all of the house work. I would even have to get him ready for bed. My mother worked a couple of jobs but she usually didn't come home when off from either job. Men were more important than her children. I literally ran the household I just didn't have a paying job. I even did the grocery shopping when their was money or food stamps for food. My mom received child care assistance for my brother but in the summer when I had to watch him the regular babysitter still got paid and she split it with my mother. Yes, unbelievable. This shit went on for 4 years until I was put in foster care. That is another story for another time.

Sorry for being long winded but the point I am trying to make is. The real reason is Jessa is that way at times is just like I was. I was mimicking the behavior of my own mother and sometimes I just took it out on my brother because I was so resentful that he was the reason I couldn't do anything. But in reality my anger should have been directed towards my mother. First off, I was only 10 years old at the time. I was not even really capable to take care of myself and be responsible for someone else. But I did the best I could with what I knew.

I know one thing irregardless of the care Jessa gives Jordyn she will miss Jessa terribly if and when Jessa moves out. Even though it has been over 30 years ago my brother said when we were separated me into foster care and him to his bio dad. He really missed me and that he always felt that I was more a mother than a sister. Until this day we have a bond that no one will ever break. We still go to each with things we would not even tell own spouses. Why? because I know that I can truly trust him with anything. Also, my brother still comes to me for advice like he would a mother.

BTW. My brother and I have no contact or desire to have contact with my mother. She was and is a very toxic person. The only thing my mother did for me was make me a want to be a better mom to my own kids.

I am sorry my post was so long.

Gasp! Jill is wearing SHOES! No flip flops! There may be hope yet! :o

I feel sad knowing that Jessa is courting and probably only has another year or two before she has children of her own, and there is absolutely nothing she can do about it because she doesn't know how to make this stop happening. I don't think she will be happy with having a baby every year or two, she doesn't seem to like kids much, and I don't want to see the lifestyle finally break her spirit and turn her into a sad eyed, exhausted fundie mother of eleventy billion toddlers.

I'm hoping she'll enjoy her own kids more than the siblings she has been caring for, though motherhood may be only slightly more voluntary. It's hard to know whether we're picking up ongoing resentment, a genuine disinterest in little kids, or something (or nothing) else. I feel bad for her and all the rest of the kids who are corralled into strict gender roles and obedience while trying to smile for the camera.

People have said it before but I will say it again, it is not Jessa's job to have a maternal bone in her body when dealing with a sibling. These girls should not have to raise their siblings while the "mother of the year" simpers at the sperm donor.

ITA with this. I have several friends who were the oldest girl in their family. They spent their adolescence and young adulthood raising younger siblings and they had no desire to have any children. Many did not marry. It is sad for Jessa that she is part of a culture that will not give her those kind of choices. Women's main value is as mothers.

I agree, but at the same time watching the way Jessa interacts with her youngest siblings makes me hope she waits a long, long time before she has kids of her own. She came off as downright harsh with those little girls on more than one occasion, and I would not be surprised if she spanks them when the cameras are off. And here she is, courting and perhaps engaged.

Of course the kids are getting spanked behind the cameras. That's one of the core beliefs of child-rearing for fundies - "spare the rod, spoil the child." Whether Jess spanks them herself doesn't really matter...she'll definitely spank her own kids. As will the seemingly sweetly-natured Jill and Jana if they ever have children and are still fundies.

And...I guess I don't find Jessa remarkably harsh? She's certainly not affectionate (not many Duggars seem to be) or patient, but she has that "no time for bullshit" demeanor I see in a lot of parents of multiple children, or even teachers. They've been there, done that, it's not cute anymore, etc. It's like my sister with her kids sometimes. She's not at all religious or abusive, but when she's, say, trying to get them ready for school, she's not at all charmed by their antics like I would be. My nephew would be dawdling and being goofy and I'd laugh and patiently tell them to hurry, while my sister and BIL would put on their no-nonsense voice and tell him to stop fooling around. I can see myself being the same way if I were dealing with kids every day.

Of course the kids are getting spanked behind the cameras. That's one of the core beliefs of child-rearing for fundies - "spare the rod, spoil the child." Whether Jess spanks them herself doesn't really matter...she'll definitely spank her own kids. As will the seemingly sweetly-natured Jill and Jana if they ever have children and are still fundies.

And...I guess I don't find Jessa remarkably harsh? She's certainly not affectionate (not many Duggars seem to be) or patient, but she has that "no time for bullshit" demeanor I see in a lot of parents of multiple children, or even teachers. They've been there, done that, it's not cute anymore, etc. It's like my sister with her kids sometimes. She's not at all religious or abusive, but when she's, say, trying to get them ready for school, she's not at all charmed by their antics like I would be. My nephew would be dawdling and being goofy and I'd laugh and patiently tell them to hurry, while my sister and BIL would put on their no-nonsense voice and tell him to stop fooling around. I can see myself being the same way if I were dealing with kids every day.

Re: Bolded sentence: Whuppin' ain't doin' much good on the howlers...just sayin'

I agree, but at the same time watching the way Jessa interacts with her youngest siblings makes me hope she waits a long, long time before she has kids of her own. She came off as downright harsh with those little girls on more than one occasion, and I would not be surprised if she spanks them when the cameras are off. And here she is, courting and perhaps engaged.

You cannot necessarily predict how someone will act as a future parent, based on a handful of heavily edited clips over half a dozen years, of a teenager/young adult's perceived relationship with one of 18 siblings. Though she's been tasked with the job of raising her sibling(s), she is just not emotionally invested as typical parents should/would be. It's not fair to assess her potential as a mother based on her interactions with said sibling, whether she ends up having children or not.

We had to go to Childrens last month for a swallow study. There are signs everywhere asking people to be sensitive to others and not to film any part of the hospital. That may be why we dont see anymore Childrens visits... they told tlc to get out lol

Anyone read the comments on that blog post? Someone was visiting them and asked what equipment they might need donated, and part of the answer was "Manual vacuum aspirators for incomplete abs (with syringe and canulas different sizes)."

Wonder if Jill was aware of all of the services provided?

So, I was selected to do a review of Growing Up Duggar and good God it is steeped in the Gothard kool-aid. Of course, they don't mention his name but refer to him as "a bible teacher" a few times throughout the book. They do, however, mention IBLP, embassyinstitute.org, and ATI. I'm not allowed to directly quote but, to give a general idea. The book is all about relationships and each chapter focuses on the different relationship in a young woman's life. I'm about 1/2 way through and they have retold a lot of the SOS. The story of Jana giving Jessa her most prized jewelry, how fun it is to be a J'slave because it's like playing with a live doll, J'chelle and Jim boob's story of meeting and dating. So far the only "new" thing I gleaned from the book was that Michelle struggled with an eating disorder in high school but with the help of IBLP and JB she was able to recover. :roll: They also go into detail about the forced monthly confessionals with Mom and Dad in the prayer closet. :wtf: No mention of Jessa's courtship in the copy I'm reviewing but, it's not a final edit. Snore, snore snore.

Anyone read the comments on that blog post? Someone was visiting them and asked what equipment they might need donated, and part of the answer was "Manual vacuum aspirators for incomplete abs (with syringe and canulas different sizes)."

Wonder if Jill was aware of all of the services provided?

Well, miscarriages can be labeled 'spontaneous abortions' versus a surgical abortion... maybe that's what it means, or what Jill thinks it means?

So, I was selected to do a review of Growing Up Duggar and good God it is steeped in the Gothard kool-aid. Of course, they don't mention his name but refer to him as "a bible teacher" a few times throughout the book. They do, however, mention IBLP, embassyinstitute.org, and ATI. I'm not allowed to directly quote but, to give a general idea. The book is all about relationships and each chapter focuses on the different relationship in a young woman's life. I'm about 1/2 way through and they have retold a lot of the SOS. The story of Jana giving Jessa her most prized jewelry, how fun it is to be a J'slave because it's like playing with a live doll, J'chelle and Jim boob's story of meeting and dating. So far the only "new" thing I gleaned from the book was that Michelle struggled with an eating disorder in high school but with the help of IBLP and JB she was able to recover. :roll: They also go into detail about the forced monthly confessionals with Mom and Dad in the prayer closet. :wtf: No mention of Jessa's courtship in the copy I'm reviewing but, it's not a final edit. Snore, snore snore.

I'd love to hear more about what that entails. I've been following the Duggars TV specials & show for a long time, but I've only heard the term prayer closet on FJ. What is the prayer closet??

I'd love to hear more about what that entails. I've been following the Duggars TV specials & show for a long time, but I've only heard the term prayer closet on FJ. What is the prayer closet??

The prayer closet was shown on TLC during one of the new house tours.

prayer+closet+jill.jpg

Live doll wtf. That's what toddlers say when they have a new sib for a wee while when helping mummy till the novelty wears of. They really have drank the koolaid poor sods.

Prayer closet looks really creepy from that pic.

That is really sad. I guess it probably was fun at first, when they were about 10 and had this tiny newborn to carry around and change...I imagine their thoughts were different when they were teenagers though. Some of their facial expressions make it seem like being a teenage mother is not fun at all.

The prayer closet sounds creepy. Imagine being stuck in there with your parents and being expected to confess all of your secrets.

Forced monthly confessions in the prayer closet?

Oh those poor poor girls.

Sounds kind of Catholic to me.

Confession is my word, not theirs but that's what it is. They get together to confess their sins and areas of struggle with Mom and Dad. Michelle also askes them what all their current favorites are and writes them down so she can remember.

Confession is my word, not theirs but that's what it is. They get together to confess their sins and areas of struggle with Mom and Dad. Michelle also askes them what all their current favorites are and writes them down so she can remember.

I do that once a month with my Girl Scout troop :lol: But I only see them once a week, and I like to keep touch with the ever changing lives of my 7-12 year olds!

Archived