IGNORED

Young girls and women weren't murdered during WWII era

Easier time be sexually pure? Oh come on!

A large number of US marines stationed in the pacific sent time at camps near here. They give exotic gifts like chewing gum and stockings. The media referred to them as 'over paid, over sexed and over here.'

A family mber got pregnant twice during this time, I'm not certain about the first but I know for sure the second time was an American - she later married him. The first baby was adopted out.

Who could resist a cute accent and a man in uniform who might die in battle next week? In her position I would have fine the same.

My grandma was a working single divorced mother who got knocked up by my grandpa and had to get married! He was divorced with adult sons whose left his first wife because she was cheating on him. Yep, they were modest and pure.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My aunt's parents were part of that generation, and when her father died she and her mother and siblings found out that he had had this entire second family that nobody ever knew about.

No divorce, but bigamy happened to them.

Stupid should hurt.

Hallmark movies are history.

In reality, women flooded into the workforce and into non-traditional fields like factory work, because the men were overseas.

In reality, there was a huge rise in venereal disease (as it was then called) that the men brought back.

In reality, women and children were MORE likely to die. The Nazis targeted them first, since they were seen as unfit for slave labor.

That is all 100% accurate... in Magical Hallmark Movie Land.

Three of my four great-grandmothers got pregnant before they were married, in the late 30s or early 40s. I majored in History and I do genealogical research for fun. I'm pretty sure that 'sexual immorality', AKA having sex before marriage, was more common in the past than many people believe.

One of my great-grandmothers got pregnant out of wedlock at 16 in 1930. She married my great-grandfather later on, but gave my grandmother to her parents to raise until my grandmother was 14.

I don't know much about another biological great-grandmother because she walked out on my great-grandfather and their three kids in the late 30s/early 40s. My step great-grandmother is who I knew as my great-grandmother.

Another of my great-grandfathers was married 4 times in total. He had numerous affairs while married to my great-grandmother and divorced her in the 1940s to marry their maid.

Wholesome times, Lori!

I just finished reading a book called Psycho USA and it is about true crimes that happened in American history and, no, the past was not all rainbows and butterflies drinking tea and being pure. There were guys who murdered their girlfriends because they got pregnant. Women who had affairs and had their husbands murdered. Women who were serial killers. One story was of an American soldier who was stationed over seas and murdered women. Children murdering other children. Murder scenes were often contaminated because people(including women and children) would rush in and steal things from the crime scene like bloody items to keep as souvenirs of the murder.

The good old days did not exists.

She responded with a very WTF e-mail. Am I allowed to post it here?

You may paraphrase private emails, but posting them directly can get you sent to the prayer closet.

You may paraphrase private emails, but posting them directly can get you sent to the prayer closet.

Ok, then here's the paraphrased version:

"I was only talking about America. America is special because G-d. I'm aware that all other countries on earth have bad things happen in them, because they are Not America. America was so much better when Christianity was shoved in people's faces everywhere they went. Sure, slavery was totes bad, but that's done now. I'm super sad that America is becoming like all of those Not America countries where they take G-d out of the public sphere."

I, I can't even . . . I think I need to actually e-mail her.

Women in the camps didn't have the luxury of being modest when they were forced to strip naked on arrival. They didn't have the luxury of being feminine when they had their heads shaved and were given thin, inadequate clothing.

It wasn't easy for women in the camps to remain sexually pure when they were being raped by the Nazis. We are now starting to see the full extent of sexual exploitation in the Holocaust. On Yom Kippur and Yom Hashoah, we remember a classroom of girls and female teachers who committed suicide to avoid rape by the Nazis.

How many families were split up because of genocide, Lori?

OF COURSE NO ONE HEARD OF JEWISH GIRLS BEING RAPED AND MURDERED, BECAUSE AMERICAN NEWSPAPERS AVOIDED REPORTING ON THE HOLOCAUST.

Or the Dutch, British and Australian girls in the Japanese camps.

http://intersections.anu.edu.au/issue9/ ... eview.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfort_women

If Lori gets to use a Hallmark movie to prove that people were more chaste during WWII, then I get to use a fictional movie to prove that they weren't:

CABARET

*Ok, it was pre WWII, but still...

Lori needs to sit down and listen to the horror stories from Holocaust survivors. Then again, I doubt she would believe the ebil Jews! :roll:

My mother was born in the early 1940's. Her parents divorced shortly thereafter. My grandmother had to work long hours to support them, so my mother has memories of taking a city bus by herself to the babysitter when she was as young as 6, and feeling abandoned while doing it (I can't imagine allowing my kids to do so at such a young age, though she lived in a much smaller town). My grandmother later married a man who had gotten divorced after returning from WWII because his first wife had cheated on him while he was away in the war. He also had a child from his first marriage, and he became an alcoholic. My mother has really bad memories from the 1940's, and won't even watch movies from that time period, because she remembers so much sadness in that era. Her memories are not as rose-tinted as Lori's and her family's - divorces, adultery, and of course the horror of war did occur, even though Lori appears to believe in historical revisionism.

How...how...HOW can she talk about "Hitler's evil" without realizing that a lot of the victims of said evil were girls and women? Does she think Hitler only murdered the men? What the everlasting fuck. Not to even mention any other rapes and murders of the time.

Do not say, "Why is it that the former days were better than these?" For it is not from wisdom that you ask about this. (Ecclesiastes 7:10)

I randomly came across this verse the other day and it made me think of Lori and some of our other fundies

Ok, then here's the paraphrased version:

"I was only talking about America. America is special because G-d. I'm aware that all other countries on earth have bad things happen in them, because they are Not America. America was so much better when Christianity was shoved in people's faces everywhere they went. Sure, slavery was totes bad, but that's done now. I'm super sad that America is becoming like all of those Not America countries where they take G-d out of the public sphere."

She is willfully ignorant. She is also too old to not recognize how the world has always been a tough and ugly place, even in the USA.

How ignorant can someone be? There were several cases of murder of women & young girls in the 40's in my county alone. The one that comes to mind is an 11 year old girl who went out to sell blackberries she had picked and never came home. She was found in the closet of an abandoned house that stood alone in a field. She had been raped & beaten. The crime was never solved, even though some of the evidence (& community gossip) pointed to her father. A local author wrote a book about the case.

Edited because I found the link!

http://www.spartanburgcountyjail.org/mo ... 072207.php

My parents were pretty squeaky-clean little Italian-American kids, but here are two True WWII Anecdotes:

At the end of a date, Mom's date, instead of driving her home, drove his car into the woods, with her car up against a bush to prevent her getting away. She was able to push the car door open and fight her way through the bush and run home, which fortunately wasn't far away. She ran in the kitchen door with shredded stockings, covered in scratches, and her mother immediately knew what had happened. I shudder to think what would have happened if he'd parked up against a tree trunk or a boulder.

When she started dating my dad, he was stationed at the naval base near her home. One day, she was goofing around, going through his wallet, and found condoms. She was shocked. He told her that the sailors weren't allowed off base without them. He told me about the gruesome and explicit movies the guys had to watch to warn them against sexually transmitted diseases.

Letting her have the premise that she is ONLY talking about North America here, she is still creating an imaginary world. Sexual "purity" (hate that term!) was not easy or a given in that era. There was much hand wringing about girls having sex with departing soldiers that they were not married to ("I might die!" was a great persuasive line) and a number of "campaigns" to discourage such behavior. The general disapproval often resulted in the quickie marriage instead and many of those marriages ended in divorce or long term separation IF he was one of the lucky ones who came home.

This is the fault of my profession --history education--being woefully inadequate and giving in to the pressure to romanticize and mythologize American history in our pre-college curricula. Add in the fact that social sciences are being marginalized in the test-centered curriculum that focuses on math, science and reading, and you can expect even greater historical ignorance in this country.

Aside from the insanity of characterizing the 40s as a wholesome decade without violence or extramarital sex... what about the fact that Lori, of all people, is rhapsodizing about "a less sexualized time"? Lori, who is constantly writing about SEX sexsexsexsexsex SEXXXXXX? Sex on vacation. Sex just to please your godly headship. Sex in the campground shower. Sex in front of young children. The sex you should be having and the sex you shouldn't. Her blog is like some bizarro version of Cosmo, and WE'RE the ones who are fixated on sex?

Oh geez. I could tell tales of the "good old moral" days just from my own family!

My grandfather, who was born in the 1890s, found out as an adult that he was actually the child of the woman he had grown up thinking was his sister. Then he went on to be married twice and divorced twice before marrying my grandmother, who was thirty years his junior. They were married until he died.

And these were upper middle class people, lol.

We won't even get started on my mom's family, which was even more scandalous.

If she is only concerned about America because she feels it is special and set apart because of God, how does she feel about how girls and women were treated in the Japanese internment camps? Talk about atrocities, it would curl her hair.

I wish I could send Lori back in time to the 40's as a black woman in the south and see how GREAT things were.

She deleted that comment. Pointing out that life was not so safe for African-Americans during that era is apparently forbidden in Lori-land. So is any attempt to engage in serious debate based on actual fact instead of "I think/I believe/my mother told me/I watched a Hallmark movie".

Nevertheless, I stand by my points.

You cannot idealize a past era and give a dismissive "sure, evil things were happening Somewhere Else". The world is an inter-connected place. Part of the reason that there was a growth in liberalism in the post-war era was precisely because people were horrified by WWII. The allegedly safe and god-fearing world that her mother remembers wasn't safe at all for those who didn't fit into a certain mold, and Lori is using these selective/false memories to argue for a less tolerant society.

Archived