IGNORED

Name that fundie!

Ridiculous

Can anyone remember this one?

Godly Fundie-litish daughter blogged with a friend. The blog was quite boring and predictably pious, but this girl was really into ballet. She was good enough to get internships with real ballet schools, to learn how to teach not perform because she wasn't that good. She actually went to college to major in dance or performing arts.

She lasted one semester before deciding it was all too hard and ungodly, and went home to live under her father's authority. She opened a "modest dress" Christian ballet/dance school in a church basement. A sideline was selling ankle length practice dancing skirts and modest tops, and making and selling the costumes.

There were a lot of videos of the school's recitals worship performances that I can't find any more. All the dances were choreographed by "Miss X" and were amusingly bad. The technique was also worryingly awful, but they didn't do many challenging or risky moves. I seem to remember a martyred Morton boy (or someone who looked very like a Morton) standing like a dead tree while his sister pranced around him. Then he heaved her shoulder high and managed not to drop her. :P

I think Miss X got married a year or two ago.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can anyone remember this one?

Godly Fundie-litish daughter blogged with a friend. The blog was quite boring and predictably pious, but this girl was really into ballet. She was good enough to get internships with real ballet schools, to learn how to teach not perform because she wasn't that good. She actually went to college to major in dance or performing arts.

She lasted one semester before deciding it was all too hard and ungodly, and went home to live under her father's authority. She opened a "modest dress" Christian ballet/dance school in a church basement. A sideline was selling ankle length practice dancing skirts and modest tops, and making and selling the costumes.

There were a lot of videos of the school's recitals worship performances that I can't find any more. All the dances were choreographed by "Miss X" and were amusingly bad. The technique was also worryingly awful, but they didn't do many challenging or risky moves. I seem to remember a martyred Morton boy (or someone who looked very like a Morton) standing like a dead tree while his sister pranced around him. Then he heaved her shoulder high and managed not to drop her. :P

I think Miss X got married a year or two ago.

The first blog was called, I think, Maidens of Worth; the bloggers were Anna (the ballet one) and Rebecca (I think? who eventually went off to college for real). Anna did get married recently.

The first blog was called, I think, Maidens of Worth; the bloggers were Anna (the ballet one) and Rebecca (I think? who eventually went off to college for real). Anna did get married recently.

Yes! Thank you so much. Anna Naomi. And I wasn't totally out of my mind, there is a Morton connection.

• 9 months later...

What about that family that went swimming fully clothed in Amish-style clothing? Not Courtney's family. I think they were friends with the Maxwells? I just remember a photo of a lady in a long-sleeve, high-neck plaid dress up to her chest in a lake.

Archived