IGNORED

Burden to Burundi, Zealous for Zambia

Palimpsest

Why does he need a pilot's license or a plane anyway? I don't understand how that relates to being a missionary or whatever he intends to do. I assume that he doesn't plan on flying in food for the starving or medicine for the sick.

Getting around rural Africa can be challenging. As with the Alaska bush, flying is often the quickest and safest way to get places.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In march of 2014 how much time will his kids have spent living in a camper? I wonder how long he can be on deputation before people stop supporting him.

We had three or four couples from our church that wound up becoming missionaries (not to Zambia) over the years I was there, and their average deputation time was about 3-4 years. So it's not atypical.

I really believe John has no desire to go to Zambia. He might like going there for a week or two once a year, but that's it. He'll use Zambia to get people to support him for a few more years and then God will tell him to do something else (i.e. people will catch on to his scam, so he'll have to find another scam).

I really feel for Esther and those kids. They deserve better. I hope Esther sees the light at some point and asks some church they are scamming to help set her up with a job so she can leave John.

I'm not convinced he really wants to go,either.

What kind of home would they live in over there,anyone know? would there be electricity,heat/air,or even running water?

I don't see Esther as being mentally strong enough to ever leave.I think she feels resigned to this life,even if she does get sick of popping out babies and living in a pop-up.Ironic,isn't it.

"gustava"

Getting around rural Africa can be challenging. As with the Alaska bush, flying is often the quickest and safest way to get places.

True to the bolded. It will be easier but probably not cheaper for John to fly up to Burundi to "disciple" Arnaud, Eddie and Arcade than spending 3 days chugging up Lake Tanganyika on a concrete boat.

On the other hand, if you want to fly Bibles into rural areas and land on fairly primitive airstrips you need to be a bloody good and very experienced pilot. Two more legitimate missionaries than John died in a small plane crash in Zambia recently. :cry:

Interestingly, Jon is getting defensive about the plane, his flying lessons, and provision for his family in general. Is he reading here? He has several posts up on FB in rapid succession.

The incomparable Sharon Bailgoat tweaked him a couple of days ago on his last post about the plane:

Sharon Bailgoat I hear landing is an important skill to learn. Praying. Amen™

John got snotty with her [my bolding]:

John Esther Shrader You are correct Sharon. Most accidents occur on take-offs or landings. Thanks everyone else for your kind encouragement and prayers. They are more precious to me than you will ever know.

But a Nate chimes in to say that Sharon has a good point

November 22 at 9:45am via mobile · Like · 1..

Nate XXXX Take offs are optional, landing are mandatory.

November 22 at 7:14pm via mobile · Like · 1..

Nate XXXX Landing requires more from the pilot than any other portion of the flight, but is also when the pilot is most tired.

John thanks Nate. He also decides to explain more about the plane and his training. It is all God's work that they have the plane. It was a bargain. His training costs are miraculously being covered by God. There are some experienced aviators close to Kafue who seem to be willing to try to stop him killing himself. I am glad to hear that last bit, for John's sake, and even more for the sakes of Esther and the children.

Praise Report on Flight Training!

Here is the brief overview of what God did concerning our Bush plane, as well as a current praise report. A pilot in Canada recommended to team member David-Cherri Rea that we start praying about a Zenith 801 STOL (Short Take-Off or Landing) as an ideal Bush plane for Africa as it would allow us to minister much more effectively and widely. Approximately one month later a report comes from Africa (with no prompting or asking from us) that exact plane is available for sale and is located in, that's right, Zambia!! Total cost of building and shipping the plane, $100,000.00. The plane only has approximately 100 hours of use on it. Asking price - $25,000.00, but they offered it to us for $15,000.00 because they wanted it to stay in an Independent Baptist ministry. Approximately one month later, all the funds had been donated to buy the plane (pictured)! I believe that God has laid the burden on my heart that this is something He wants to use, and He has not only miraculously provided for the plane, but provided a Missionary Aviation Training Academy only 68 miles from our home church as well. One of the men there spent over twenty years as a Missionary Pilot, flying more than 3,000 hours in...of all places...that's right, Zambia! I have started training full time now, accumulating hours and working on Ground School simultaneously. God laid it on a dear brother from overseas to send several thousand dollars when I initially started my training last February, and someone unexpectedly sent $1,250.00 last month which went toward this current training!! It is so exciting to see God miraculously providing, and I trust even in this sort synopsis you have been encouraged to see how God is orchestrating this! I recently asked for prayer, and that day had the best training session and flight yet! Please, DON'T STOP PRAYING for this, your prayers are vitally essential as I undertake this challenging, yet exciting endeavor. To top it off, there is a group of missionary aviators about one hour from where we will be basing in Zambia. I am praying that they will have a heart to help me continue building the necessary skills required for bush flying, something that will be much more feasible if I go to Zambia already having obtained a Private Pilot Certificate. A pilot there in Zambia told me it is very difficult to find an instructor, and MUCH more expensive. The men training me currently know that group and believe this is a real possibility. Thanks for caring, praying, and loving us.

- Bro. John Shrader

He posted this on Nov 19 to show that he is not ungrateful for all the cash he is getting and wants us all to know that he used to work a secular job for 10 years. Hmmm. I only knew about the lawn mowing and used car salesman jobs and his own admission that he and Esther were in debt in 2011 and his family got together to buy them a van.

Thank you for your sacrifice:

2 Thessalonians 2:13 "But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord..."

Dear supporting friends,

For almost the entire ten years I pastored I worked a secular job, so this is new to me to be on full time support. Our family gratefully and sincerely thanks you for coming alongside us as we have taken this step of faith and are in the final months of preparation to leave for Zambia. We have been overwhelmed by your loving prayer and financial support, and often when we sit down as a family to eat a meal we thank God for those who have sacrificially given that we might eat. It is a humbling thing to be on the receiving end. For each of you that lift us in prayer...thank you. From our hearts, we just want you to know how grateful we are. May the Lord bless you greatly in return for blessing us.

Finally, he remembers to update on his poor sister who has stage 4 pancreatic cancer. John, it is lovely to see you come out of your self-centered haze for once. Keep it up!

It would also be reassuring if you updated FB with how your plans to get the children immunized are going. You are doing that before leaving for Zambia, aren't you?

This part of the description of the plane has always puzzled me.

we start praying about a Zenith 801 STOL (Short Take-Off or Landing) as an ideal Bush plane for Africa as it would allow us to minister much more effectively and widely. Approximately one month later a report comes from Africa (with no prompting or asking from us) that exact plane is available for sale and is located in, that's right, Zambia!! Total cost of building and shipping the plane, $100,000.00.

He says the plane has about 100 hours on it, so even though it is a kit aircraft, why does it need to be built? And, it's in Zambia, so why does it need to be shipped?

Finally, flying is one thing. Maintaining an aircraft properly is equally important.

This part of the description of the plane has always puzzled me.

He says the plane has about 100 hours on it, so even though it is a kit aircraft, why does it need to be built? And, it's in Zambia, so why does it need to be shipped?

Finally, flying is one thing. Maintaining an aircraft properly is equally important.

He is not a good writer. I think he is trying to say that the cost of that plane kit purchased new and built (or rather assembled) in the US and then shipped to Zambia would be $100,000.00. The second hand already assembled plane was only $15,000.

And ITA on the aircraft maintenance.

Thanks for deciphering his less than clear writing. He confused me also.

With those writing skills, I'm sure a fabulous preacher he is.

(Actually, it's probably the least of his problems. It's possibly even a good thing. A patronising, self important man-o-gid who can communicate is even more terrifying than one who can't).

Burden to Burundi and Zealous for Zambia is so yesterday... I want to know when the Lord puts it on his heart to become Queer for Qatar

Well now, this is interesting. The thot plickens.

John Shrader famously renounced ATI when he lost his temper on the Pickles and Hairspray site a couple of months ago

I am not a Gotherdite, in fact I have been personally condemned by some who I love for standing against this man and his false teaching.

But he is affiliated with . . .

Wait for it . . .

Vision Forum Ministries! Specifically the Hazardous Journeys Society.

I was wondering if the HJ teams ever got back from Nepal and Mongolia so I took a look on FB. Each Hazardous Journey has a FB page detailing the tourist activities perilous conditions they encounter.

Back in August there was a Hazardous Journey to Zambia, not including either Shrader or Rea. It looks like a couple of fathers and sons, perhaps 6 people total. On August 23 this message was put on "Hazardous Journeys Team Zambia" FB.

Even though we have launched our trip, donations are still welcome as we are having to deal with many unexpected expenses. Go to [snipped]teamzambia.com

That link goes straight to the Shrader/Rea Team Zambia fundraising site.

An audit of Vision Forums, Hazardous Journeys, and Team Zambia financials would be so interesting. Where do donors think their money is going? To support the HJ team(s) or to fund John's flying lessons and family dinners back in the US?

There seems to be so much misrepresentation, to say nothing of zero accountability, here. :penguin-no:

He is not a good writer. I think he is trying to say that the cost of that plane kit purchased new and built (or rather assembled) in the US and then shipped to Zambia would be $100,000.00. The second hand already assembled plane was only $15,000.

And ITA on the aircraft maintenance.

Buying a secondhand kit plane always works so well. Let's ask John Denver.

Burden to Burundi and Zealous for Zambia is so yesterday... I want to know when the Lord puts it on his heart to become Queer for Qatar

He's Mad for Madagascar! Longing for Liberia! Swooning for Swaziland! Ga Ga for Ghana! Crazy for the Congo! Dreaming of Djibouti! Somebody stop me noooooowwwwww....

:geek:

Well now, this is interesting. The thot plickens.

John Shrader famously renounced ATI when he lost his temper on the Pickles and Hairspray site a couple of months ago

But he is affiliated with . . .

Wait for it . . .

Vision Forum Ministries! Specifically the Hazardous Journeys Society.

I was wondering if the HJ teams ever got back from Nepal and Mongolia so I took a look on FB. Each Hazardous Journey has a FB page detailing the tourist activities perilous conditions they encounter.

Back in August there was a Hazardous Journey to Zambia, not including either Shrader or Rea. It looks like a couple of fathers and sons, perhaps 6 people total. On August 23 this message was put on "Hazardous Journeys Team Zambia" FB.

That link goes straight to the Shrader/Rea Team Zambia fundraising site.

An audit of Vision Forums, Hazardous Journeys, and Team Zambia financials would be so interesting. Where do donors think their money is going? To support the HJ team(s) or to fund John's flying lessons and family dinners back in the US?

There seems to be so much misrepresentation, to say nothing of zero accountability, here. :penguin-no:

I'm trying to figure this out. Doug the Tool went on a Hazardous Journey to Zambia, unaccompanied by Shrader, but then begged for $$$ for Shrader???

I'm trying to figure this out. Doug the Tool went on a Hazardous Journey to Zambia, unaccompanied by Shrader, but then begged for $$$ for Shrader???

No, yes, and apparently yes. Doug does not go on all Hazardous Journeys and did not go to Zambia. Bear with me on this.

If you go to the Vision Forum Ministries site (if it is still up) you will see a tab for Hazardous Journeys where funds are/were solicited. The Hazardous Journeys Society also has a separate website HarardousJourneys.org. That site also solicits funds and is a snarkably rewarding browse through.

Guided by Doug's vision for world dominion 15 journeys (of varying degrees of hazard) were planned for 2013. About 6 of them happened. I don't think they made it to Antartica (to convert penguins?) Or to Madagascar. They did make it to Alaska, the Phillippines, Zambia, Burma, Nepal and I think one Journey is stranded in Mongolia right now. I hope they had return tickets before VF imploded.

The journeys are undertaken by "men" who are primarily former VF interns. And manly. Basically tourism with a couple of speaking engagements. Lots of pretty photos are put on FB, and each Journey has a separate FB page. There is usually a team leader, a videographer, a writer and a couple of peons along for the ride. Burma is one of the best documented for 2013.

The HJ team to Zambia went water rafting and did the usual tourist thing in Livingstone, Zambia. I picked up on the strange solicitation by that team in August on FB (copied again from above.)

Even though we have launched our trip, donations are still welcome as we are having to deal with many unexpected expenses. Go to [snipped]teamzambia.com

Again, that link goes straight to the Shrader/Rea Team Zambia fundraising site. What unexpected expenses did the HJ Team have that needed donations to Shrader and Rea? Neither Rea nor Shrader were in Zambia in August and have no official affiliation with Vision Forum.

Very strange.

• 2 months later...

So I checked out the Lazy Missionary to see what he has been doing, which appears to be nothing but making videos. Three of his sons had birthdays and they had one big party for them. It was Zambia themed of course. John breathes, really, really heavily while he is making the video of the boys kicking around the ball. And around the 6:40 mark it is time to blow out the candles and he forgets which kids are having birthdays. The video ends with these words:

If the Lord wills we hope to enjoy many more birthdays to come with our precious children. The mission field is dangerous with disease, poisonous snakes, mosquitoes carrying malaria, and many other hazards. Again, thank you for your prayers on behalf of the Shrader children.

Good god is sounds like he is expecting at least a couple of his kids to die.

Geee, I wish my parents had made me a ball out of plastic bags for my birthday.

Sorry, I mean a third of a ball, to share with my brothers.

So I checked out the Lazy Missionary to see what he has been doing, which appears to be nothing but making videos. Three of his sons had birthdays and they had one big party for them. It was Zambia themed of course. John breathes, really, really heavily while he is making the video of the boys kicking around the ball. And around the 6:40 mark it is time to blow out the candles and he forgets which kids are having birthdays. The video ends with these words:

If the Lord wills we hope to enjoy many more birthdays to come with our precious children. The mission field is dangerous with disease, poisonous snakes, mosquitoes carrying malaria, and many other hazards. Again, thank you for your prayers on behalf of the Shrader children.

Good god is sounds like he is expecting at least a couple of his kids to die.

That's exactly what it sounds like. I think his kids are mostly a means to an end of showing how Christian he is and prop up his ego. Losing a few only adds to his mystique! I really really hope they never get enough funding or someone steps in to put the kibosh on all of this.

As for his paragraph about the dangers of Burundi, imagine if that were about any other parenting decision:

"We have voluntarily chosen, at the expense of others, to move our family to a building which is dangerous with lead paint, asbestos, no railings on the steep and broken steps, drive by shootings, several known sexual predators live in the vicinity, and many other hazards. Please pray for our children."

Shouldn't those things be a sign not to take the kids? If he expects a few of them to die, why risk it? No parent wants their child to die :( John, either leave Esther and the kids at home and give her some means to support herself (which she could probably do better without your useless ass hanging around) or shelf the Zambia idea until the kids are grown up.

I hope the kids will be okay :( I wonder what the rest of the family think about this.

No ideology is worth the suffering and death of a child. Is there anybody left to talk sense into him?

I'm hoping that they never actually get enough money together. And if they do that Esther finally puts her foot down when the dangers she is about to expose herself and her children to become tangible and pressing. They can spin it as "Esther's keeping the homefires burning and raising godly warriors while the big, brave man goes out to save the lost souls of the Dark Continent."

Archived