IGNORED

Burden to Burundi, Zealous for Zambia

Palimpsest

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Slightly OT but when I first saw this thread I was concerned that Esther might be pregnant again :(

However, if she was, it would delay their trip for at least a few months so I guess that sadly it's a double-edged sword

Oh my! I hadn't checked on Shrader recently. Way to misrepresent John! He's changed his FB to "lives in Kafue" when he is still hanging out in the US.

I think he may be looking for excuses not to go too. He is going to blame either the lack of money from his supporters, failing his pilot's licence because he is not academic, and the hard winter that limited his flight training hours. Check out this from John Esther Shrader's FB on Jan. 31st.

The last hurdle before our family leaves for Zambia is my training to receive my U.S. Pilot license.

Don't forget that you need a flight permit in Zambia too, John. And it costs money.

Training is very expensive, so my family and I were specifically asking God to provide extra funds this month. We are receiving support, which is a tremendous blessing, but living as frugally as possible as we save for the huge expenses coming like visas and plane tickets for ten people, a vehicle, setting up in Zambia, etc.

Add vaccinations x 10, malaria preventives x 10, a well stocked First Aid Box and a lot of bug spray to that list.

I received a notice last week from the Missionary Aviation Academy that the funds I had already paid had been used up, and my wife and I had been praying like Jesus instructed in Matt. 6:6 "But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly."

Send him more money!

Because of this instruction from the Lord, I have determined to not publish any more needs, but just pray. I will joyfully give God glory when he rewards openly though!

What, John? You just published a whole list of needs in the above paragraphs! :lol:

In short, God touched several individuals to send unexpected offerings this month which were immediately put towards the cost of flight training! Praise the Lord as He continues to miraculously provide!!

I might praise the Lord when people stop sending you money to risk your children in Zambia, you lazy idiot.

Now the prayer request:

Academics have always been a challenge for me, but I (with the Lord's gracious help) apply myself and do my best. It takes me longer than others many times, but God has always helped me. This flight training can be overwhelming with the volume and variety of information and knowledge you have to grasp, on top of learning the precision skills of piloting a plane.

Why am I not surprised to hear that academics are a challenge for John? Yes, flying a plane is harder than driving a car or riding a bike.

I'm only glad that he thinks he needs to be able to fly a plane to be a missionary because it will keep the kids in the US longer, if not indefinitely. Remind me, why does he need a plane? Perhaps the Lord gave it to him to sell to fund a clinic instead of to go there and fly it?

Anyway, why can't he leg it, ride a bicycle, or take the bus or a concrete boat to "harvest souls in Africa?"

Pfftttt!

Judging from him writing about how malaria was a danger to his children, I'm not sure he is going to be giving them malaria preventives. I will be shocked if they actually ever get to Zambia, though. How long can he drag this out before the sheep stop sending money and he has to get a real job?

Judging from him writing about how malaria was a danger to his children, I'm not sure he is going to be giving them malaria preventives. I will be shocked if they actually ever get to Zambia, though. How long can he drag this out before the sheep stop sending money and he has to get a real job?

Hopefully not very long. I can't help but be curious as to what John's family (including in-laws) really think about all of this.

David and Priscilla were very careful to word their story in a flowery, glossed over way: John and Esther are offering themselves to serve.... blah blah blah and taking pictures inside of what i assume is their church in Washington definitely seemed to disguise the living in a tent part

Oh, I'm 99.99% sure that John Shrader isn't going to give malarial preventives OR vaccinate against common childhood diseases (think measles, polio, and diphtheria, all killers) let alone yellow fever and other nasty tropical bugs before setting off to Africa with his children. He has ignored all mention of it, even when directly questioned on FB.

I mention it in the vain hope that some saner family members read here and get thinking about the safety of the children!

I'm the first to say that malarial preventives are not always effective, but they do help. I'm pretty sure that Bobby Bonner never took them because he had repeated bouts of malaria -- and John knows that. David Rea also mentions two people who died of malaria, but it seems that they think the Lord will protect them. Or God will take their children up to Heaven if they get one of these diseases but it will be John's sacrifice to the Lord.

These people make me sick.

At least the kids have a roof over their heads this rough winter and not sleeping in a popup camper. How long will it be before the sheeple catch on to this lazy grifter?

I would love to post on his FB page-Get a FUCKING job, apply for food stamps , quit breeding and provide your family a stable living environment. END :angry-banghead:

Oh, I'm 99.99% sure that John Shrader isn't going to give malarial preventives OR vaccinate against common childhood diseases (think measles, polio, and diphtheria, all killers) let alone yellow fever and other nasty tropical bugs before setting off to Africa with his children. He has ignored all mention of it, even when directly questioned on FB.

I mention it in the vain hope that some saner family members read here and get thinking about the safety of the children!

I'm the first to say that malarial preventives are not always effective, but they do help. I'm pretty sure that Bobby Bonner never took them because he had repeated bouts of malaria -- and John knows that. David Rea also mentions two people who died of malaria, but it seems that they think the Lord will protect them. Or God will take their children up to Heaven if they get one of these diseases but it will be John's sacrifice to the Lord.

These people make me sick.

Oh, good. :? What is it with these people that they're fine using all sorts of modern technology, but balk at the stuff that will actually keep them alive? If I were on my way to sub-Saharan Africa right now, I'd happily forgo all multi-media devices, in lieu of vaccines, meds, insect repellents etc. No one that I know who went, has been silly enough not to take such precautions, and even so I have my share of friends who caught malaria, and one of them wound up with typhoid fever.

And never mind the diseases that there is neither cure nor vaccine against, like HIV. But then, even a scratch from a rusty nail could spell tetanus, a dog bite could mean rabies, and let us not forget dysentery! Dysentery remains a big threat, not only in the developing world. If memory serves, Japan saw an outbreak in 2010. And that sort of disease can't be good for a child. It's easily bred in a warm climate, highly contagious if you lack a clean water supply, or food gets contaminated, and if my experience with kids is anything to go by, it's a hell of a job to keep them hydrated, when everything hurts and comes back up again. And a hospital might be a long way to go.

So...not good at all. And for that reason, I hope that they never get to Zambia. Zambia is a place, where most of the population lives in poverty, so unless the Shraders intend to minister to the the rich, and have the means to afford such a lifestyle, I am willing to pray any deity that they won't make it. It's bad enough for the children and adults who already live there. Wilfully adding to that is grossly irresponsible. :angry-banghead:

P.S.: I'm not a medical professional by any stretch of the imagination. My parents used to be, and I once wanted to be, so this is half-knowledge. I try to check my facts, but I am NOT a professional. This is just to the best of my knowledge, and experience that I've seen with friends.

It is scary he is trying to get a pilot's license. It is a moral clusterfuck to spend money getting one to "prepare to spread the Gospel" while his children will not be prepared with vaccines and anti-malarials.

You have no business talking to others about Jesus when you won't protect your own children.

• 2 weeks later...

This picture posted on his facebook page just breaks my heart. It's clear that child is just miserable, and the poor thing has to deal with being in the car hour after hour, day after day...

Written above it is: "Oh no daddy, do we have to drive another 400 miles back today?"

post-8463-14451998663672_thumb.jpg

Why does he have to drag his children along on all these trips? Just leave them at home with Esther and he can go to beg people for money. I realize that to him his children are nothing but props in his missionary fantasy, but I wish Esther would stand up for her kids.

I really feel sorry for those children. I honestly wonder how Esther's parents feel about their grandchildren living such a life? I know, I know, it's all for God, Jebus, etc. etc. so sadly they probably don't think too much about what their own grandchildren are enduring.

And yes, John will have to get two licenses: one for the US and the other for Zambia since he's doing private flying. If he thinks for a moment that merely having the US license is going to be enough he's mistaken. Now maybe it might be easier to obtain the second one due to having racked up flight hours, etc. but still he's going to need two.

Thought I am glad he's getting some questioning on FB. Maybe some of the followers will smarten up further and tell him to get a job.

I really feel sorry for those children. I honestly wonder how Esther's parents feel about their grandchildren living such a life? I know, I know, it's all for God, Jebus, etc. etc. so sadly they probably don't think too much about what their own grandchildren are enduring.

And yes, John will have to get two licenses: one for the US and the other for Zambia since he's doing private flying. If he thinks for a moment that merely having the US license is going to be enough he's mistaken. Now maybe it might be easier to obtain the second one due to having racked up flight hours, etc. but still he's going to need two.

Thought I am glad he's getting some questioning on FB. Maybe some of the followers will smarten up further and tell him to get a job.

He may be doing his flight training here in the US, but may not bother about getting a US license.

Anyway, why can't he leg it, ride a bicycle, or take the bus or a concrete boat to "harvest souls in Africa?"

Or get of his lazy ass, get a real job, and support his family first. If he can't provide for his family without begging and lives in a pop up camper, he sure as hell isn't in any position to be a missionary. The more I read this thread, the more I think he's a mentally ill scam artist.

Or get of his lazy ass, get a real job, and support his family first. If he can't provide for his family without begging and lives in a pop up camper, he sure as hell isn't in any position to be a missionary. The more I read this thread, the more I think he's a mentally ill scam artist.

I don't know if he is really mentally ill or just excessively selfish and lazy, but the way he talked about how his kids could die in Zambia and how they will only have more birthdays if the Lord wills makes me think that there is something not right with him. Either way he is not qualified to go tell anybody about God's love.

I don't know if he is really mentally ill or just excessively selfish and lazy, but the way he talked about how his kids could die in Zambia and how they will only have more birthdays if the Lord wills makes me think that there is something not right with him. Either way he is not qualified to go tell anybody about God's love.

I don't know I'd describe him as lazy either. He has put quite a bit of effort into driving around the country trying to raise money.

Selfish, yes. I think he is completely focused on getting to Burundi and hasn't stopped to think about how his actions are affecting those around him, especially his wife and children.

It does concern me that a man who seems to lack empathy wants to be a missionary. I would think that being considerate of all the people around me was the most important of all skills if I was going to help. Of course, that is me applying logic. I forget all you need is a KJV bible and you are set.

I don't imagine they're overly impressed with him, he's left ATI and publicly condemned the organisation and Gothard, so he's the wrong type of fundie lunatic in their eyes.

Schrader has just posted a clip of his kids performing at a homeschool vacation bible school recital, whatever that is. I think a vacation bible school that's attended as a family?

Anyway, the kids are cute but the content - oh, the content.

Three of the boys singing a song about the fallacy of evolution, including a bit at the end about how monkeys would never sin like man does, with Esther prompting from the sidelines. The eldest daughter talking about the 19th century author of a hymn realising her heartbreak over the death of three of her children was selfish cause they were better off with Jesus. Agape reciting about how sweet, gentle godly girls have beautiful countenances, but nasty girls don't. And an adorable toddler lisping a kiddy version of All things Bright and Beautiful.

I'm not big on snarking on kids, but my main point of snark is the content, obviously chosen by the parents and, as its posted on YouTube and Facebook, obviously the message they want to send to the world about their children's educations. The kids themselves are gorgeous, it's sad to see them so brainwashed.

I have to say that of all the fundie families we snark on here at FJ, the Shrader children are the one's I'd most like to rescue out of their situation. They are treated just terribly and seem to have such a miserable life with that selfish douche canoe of a father who seems to callous to care if young children, toddlers, and babies get incredibly sick and die of malaria and other diseases and a mother that doesn't seem to put the welfare of her children before her 'headship'. (Yes, I realize that Esther is in a difficult situation and that she's been raised to submit to her husband's desires for the family, but I really have very little sympathy for women that fail to put the safety and well-being of their children first.) They, and all these children, deserve so much better than what they're getting. How I'd love to feed them until their bellies are full, give them each a warm bath by themselves, and tuck them each in to their own bed that they don't have to share with any of their siblings. And of course send them to school the next morning...

I just looked at his prayer letter and he says that Esther is due in September and he hopes to find a midwife (in Zambia, I'm guessing) as they hope to leave in May. So she's pregnant again.

He also talks about vaccinations and that the rabies vaccine is $600-1000 per person and hopefully they can get the vaccines cheaper in Africa.

What an idiot!!!

Ah man, even her pregnant won't stop them.

Hopefully they'll have sto stall because of funds. Frankly, I think if Esther gives birth in Zambia, she might die.

Archived