IGNORED

My Big Fat American Gypsy Wedding

Chicken bones

(I think geniebelle6901 is a fundie herself.)

Watching the most recent episode of this show, I said aloud, "How many times can you see a crystal-encrusted piece of fabric attached to yards of lettuce-leaf ruffles and find it visually pleasing?" I feel like these dresses all look the same after a certain point...am I the only one who does?

• Replies 571
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The first bolded part was my question. So you want me to answer my own question? That makes no sense. As for the second question...only if they feel they shouldn't have obey the law and engage in bad stuff that we snark on fundies about.

She bolded the first one originally because for some reason you feel like there is more going on than just persecution and discrimination. What exactly do you think is going on then? Since you don't feel like being so discriminated against so bad that in many places they have to hide who they are so they can be employed isn't enough to keep them on the fringes of society.

This whole reaction of yours is especially odd since you defend Southerner's hanging Rebel flags and acting in horrible ways because you said people discriminated against them so they were lashing out and acting bad because of how people stereotyped them. And I do believe you even said you understood where they were coming from in acting in those horrible, racist ways. Why don't you extend the same understanding to a group that has been stereotyped and discriminated against in way worse ways than white southerners?

The latest episode has one of the girls saying, "The eyes are the nipples of the face. So that's what we base our makeup around."

Wow....and everybody thought I would have a hissy fit and go on a cussing spree.

Gee, why would we ever think that? Maybe because tantrums that would shame a toddler are your specialty. I especially liked this one (from February 20th- less than three months ago):

I am a big goddamned mother-fucking offensive asshole. There I've admitted it! I'm here now, and plan to keep posting here unless kicked out.

I think this may be the only entirely true thing you've said on this board.

Also, I'm still calling troll on geniebelle. Granted, a very dedicated troll but I preserve my faith in humanity by choosing to believe that no one could be as un-self-aware and just plain sucky as geniebelle is without trying very hard at it.

I'm still watching. The dad drove all the way to a special liquor store so that he could get...Budweiser. He bought his daughter a custom-made outfit fit for a stripper but made her leave a party because there were gorgers (outsiders) there who had "smut" and "filth". Disgusting.

What exactly do you think is going on then?

I think there is some truth to what the general public and law enforcement believes.

you defend Southerner's hanging Rebel flags

I have never, ever condoned hanging a Rebel flag. If your referring to a thread about the Bateses where someone said it was no big deal, you must have missed the the parts where I said I think it's racists and I don't condone it. All I said was that can understand where she was coming from (as in knowing stupid rednecks who do fly it and don't think that it's racists). I just didn't jump down her throat because other posters had already done that, and not once did I say say I condoned flying a Confederate Flag or that it wasn't a racist symbol.

I think there is some truth to what the general public and law enforcement believes.

Which is what, exactly?

Also, are we talking about Roma or black people here?

I have never, ever condoned hanging a Rebel flag. If your referring to a thread about the Bateses where someone said it was no big deal, you must have missed the the parts where I said I think it's racists and I don't condone it. All I said was that can understand where she was coming from (as in knowing stupid rednecks who do fly it and don't think that it's racists). I just didn't jump down her throat because other posters had already done that, and not once did I say say I condoned flying a Confederate Flag or that it wasn't a racist symbol.

There was another thread where you went off on tangent about how Southerners act out because they are discriminated and stereotyped. And sure you said the things they did were bad, but you also said that you understood why they did them. Why exactly aren't you treating the Roma people this way? They are way more discriminated against and stereotyped than white, racist Southerners. So why aren't you being all understanding of them?

Agent provocateur? (although, I guess that assumes geniebell is a plant from Dougie. A stretch, but more believable when considering KISA)

Shit disturber? Kind of like a horsefly -buzzes around, makes a lot of noise, and stirs up crap.

geniebelle,

Have you ever met any actual Travellers or Roma, or are you basing this off stuff you've seen on TV or read online? I'm guessing the later, because you threw out a mention of Murphy Village like you had some sort of personal knowledge of it, except you placed it in the wrong state (it's in SC, not in NC).

Also, yes, you sound racist as hell, and this is coming from someone with way too much experience in that area. So much of the stuff you keep blaming on Rrom culture sounds like the same things other people have blamed on minority cultures. Do you not even recognize that you're making the same sort of statements that have been used to justify discrimination and oppression against Native Americans, Blacks, and Hispanics in the US - "They're different", "Their culture is not worth saving", "We need them to assimilate, even if it means forcing children into boarding schools and splitting families apart".

While you're recuperating, instead of flitting around FJ pissing people off, why not read up a little bit on how the US tried to "assimilate" the Native American population or poke around [link=http://american-pictures.com/#English_index]here[/link] for a while and just look - there are so many pictures of people from different cultures but so much is the same, and the same thread runs through a lot of them - the wealthy or privileged classes looking down on people who are poor and or/minority and using that as a way to justify policies and attitudes that further the same social problems they are criticizing.

Why don't you extend the same understanding to a group that has been stereotyped and discriminated against in way worse ways than white southerners?

Genie can't comprehend anything unless it relates to her, like the deal with welfare and disabilities. She didn't see anything wrong with what she said until it applied to her. I'm in the same boat as you, Genie, but I would have never made fun of you even before I got sick. Most people have something called empathy. Like, they can actually see themselves in another person's shoes and understand their pain, perspective, emotions, etc. even if it doesn't directly relate to them. Sorry if you already knew the definition, but since you've never shown an ounce of empathy or compassion here, I figured you might need it explained. You really should try it sometime, but I fear you are a lost cause.

I think there's only one reason you can understand the Confederate flag-waving. Yes yes, I know. You have African-American family members and so on. Some of the things you've let slip have shown that you still have prejudice regarding African-American people, however much you try to deny it. You certainly are prejudiced against other ethnic groups and cultures, so that's something you would understand.

Wow, this took me forever to type. Damn meds. My meds don't turn me into a bigot though. *coughs*

Formergothardite, you'd make a great lawyer (if you aren't already one!)

Also, I don't think she's a troll. Although it would actually be better if she was.

You reading way too much into the Confederate flag thing. I made comments stating that I understood Southern culture and that a lot of Southerners will never understand why it's racist and offensive. I pretty much said the same think to another poster who outright said she didn't have a problem with it. I plainly stated that I disagreed with her, but I could understand where she's coming from because I know people who think the same way. At no point did I ever condone the flying of the Confederate flag, or say that it wasn't racists or offensive.

What or who is KISA that everybody keeps mentioning? So, now I'm supposedly a Vision Forum spy sent by Doug Phillips? On now that's a new one, but I don't know the man, have never met him, and I don't want to.

Actually, I did have a run in with gypsies or travellers (not sure which ones). There was a roofing scam going on a couple of days after a storm caused some minor roof damage. They were quickly sent packing. According to a sheriff's deputy, they were "gypsy scammers from Mobile, AL" and they were pulling the same scams in other nearby towns. But I suppose someone is going to say this is a scam that could have been pulled by anybody just like someone told Lindsay that what happened in her place of employment could have been pulled by any group.

What I find astonishing is that nobody has snarked on their patriarchal society other than to tell me that you don't agree with it. So, why aren't then getting the same snark publicity as Gothard/ATI, VF, etc.? Why are they getting a free pass? Because of past persecution? Do I need to remind you that there isn't a single racial/ethnic/religious group in history that hasn't been persecuted? Instead of addressing those questions you are deflecting because it's no much easier play the race, persecution, and discrimination cards than to answer a few simple questions.

So, why aren't then getting the same snark publicity as Gothard/ATI, VF, etc.?

Maybe because no one wants to risk being lumped in with your bigoted ass.

(I think geniebelle6901 is a fundie herself.)

Watching the most recent episode of this show, I said aloud, "How many times can you see a crystal-encrusted piece of fabric attached to yards of lettuce-leaf ruffles and find it visually pleasing?" I feel like these dresses all look the same after a certain point...am I the only one who does?

I think I'm the minority here, but I think the dresses are pretty. No more or less pretty than party and/or wedding dresses in the rest of Western culture, just different pretty. But your comment about them all looking the same...I feel the same way about all fashions at some point...it's the same basic look in the end, with just colors, small details that make one girl or boy feel like the star when they wear it.

Genie, to answer your question, of course we have had other people do things they werent supposed to during a party. However, they stood out to me because they broke SO many rules. They didn't give us a proper head count, making them overcapacitied for the room they booked. That's not just inconveniencing us. It broke the fire code for the room, which was max 300. They tried to tell us we didn't set up enough tables and chairs, trying to make it our fault that they fucked up. We had to put people in tables in the hallway, and dinner was over an hour late because we had to conjour up a whole slew of dinners we didn't have. it wasn't a buffet, it was a sit down dinner. when you have a sit down dinner, you need a head count. we always make an extra 15 or so dinners, in case there is some kind of problem. But after fifteen or so, it really starts to affect the food. People were outraged with our staff that they were in tables in the hallway, they paid 60 dollars to come and had to sit in a hallway because the person running the event didn't bother to get a real headcount.

And yes, other parties have snuck in alcohol before. However, when they were told to remove it, I have never seen people react in such a self righteous way. Like we were being horrible to take their booze from them. When you have a party at a banquet facility, the facility is responsible for all the drunk guests there. If we don't have control over the alcohol, how can we possibly regulate anything? And making people stay three hours late because the guests didn't feel like leaving when they were supposed to is downright rude and atrocious. they were rude, overstayed their welcome, and didn't follow the rules. Period. I don't see why they should get a pass for that. If they had behaved appropriately, I wouldn't remember them so specifically. I've worked hundreds of weddings and functions. I had never met travellers before that event, hell, I thought gypsies were a myth.

Guest Anonymous

Maybe because no one wants to risk being lumped in with your bigoted ass.

Also they aren't trying to take over the government.

I had never met travellers before that event, hell, I thought gypsies were a myth.

I ... wow. Nope, I can't even. :shock:

The only gypsy I knew about was Esmerelda from the Hunchback of Notre Dame, and from the Prince of Egypt, when Moses was rescued by the gypsies. How would I know it was a real culture? I have never been to Europe. Before I came to FJ I didn't know anything about fundies, I live in WNY, not really in the bible belt. Buffalo is pretty heavily populated with roman catholics. For the longest time I didn't know that other denominations didn't pray to saints. what I meant was that I thought it was a culture that died out a long time ago.

Genie, this is your reaction to the racism (longing for the good old days before the Civil War, flying the rebel flag) and bad behaviour of your fellow Southerners:

These are about Southerners using the "N" word.

I think some of you are missing the point. The fact of the matter is, when buttons are pushed this is how Southerners will react. Whether you think it's racist is beside point. This is how it is. I don't condone this type of behavior, but I can understand where they're coming from.

"I can understand why Southerners get upset over the way we are portrayed in the media. "

"Anyway, I was just giving an explanation about Southern resentment."

"Today, I think most of the resentment comes from the way working class and poor Southerners are portrayed in the media/books/movies. We are portrayed as ass backwards, uneducated, stupid, ignorant, redneck hillbillies. And I have to say I agree with my fellow Southerners to an extent. It's almost biased in way. I mean do you see any other region of the country portrayed in a derogatory as often as the South is?"

So you don't condone Southerners acting like racist, but you can understand it, an understanding that you refuse to give to another culture. Why didn't you extend the same sort of understanding to the Roma culture?

And perhaps if you hadn't started in on how you wanted an entire, diverse culture destroyed based on what you've seen on tv, the focus would have stayed on how the patriarchal parts of their culture needs change. We had a Roma woman come here once, no one gave her a free pass.

The only gypsy I knew about was Esmerelda from the Hunchback of Notre Dame, and from the Prince of Egypt, when Moses was rescued by the gypsies. How would I know it was a real culture? I have never been to Europe. Before I came to FJ I didn't know anything about fundies, I live in WNY, not really in the bible belt. Buffalo is pretty heavily populated with roman catholics. For the longest time I didn't know that other denominations didn't pray to saints. what I meant was that I thought it was a culture that died out a long time ago.

Lindsay you are on the internet. The world biggest library. Be a lifelong learner and explore the world around you.

Edited to add

I'm gonna stick my neck out here and say that many of them do NOT educate their children. many of them are illiterate. hardly any of them finish high school, and those that do go to school don't get a full education from moving around and sticking them in various random schools that don't have corre...

I thought you didn't know Rom were real?

i didn't, until a few years ago. I started to research them after that horrible event I had to work. I was really angry about that incident. the more I learn, the less I like

i didn't, until a few years ago. I started to research them after that horrible event I had to work. I was really angry about that incident. the more I learn, the less I like

So you are with Genie in that you think the whole culture should be destroyed?

one thing I DO like is that they invite everyone, including children, to weddings. I thought it was a little inappropriate at the new years party that there were still kids running around at 3 am, but it was really nice that it was a party for everyone, not just adults.

And it just so happens all the 'research' you did supports your bigotry. :think:

riffle

one thing I DO like is that they invite everyone, including children, to weddings. I thought it was a little inappropriate at the new years party that there were still kids running around at 3 am, but it was really nice that it was a party for everyone, not just adults.

So you don't agree that the whole culture is horrible and isn't worth preserving like Genie does? Do you think that all people in that culture are bad, lying, thieves or there are just some who do and those are the ones who make the news?

I ... wow. Nope, I can't even. :shock:

I had someone tell me that gyspies were like fairies. I couldn't stop laughing. :lol:

Archived