IGNORED

19 Kids and Counting 2013 - The Duggars do Part 4

happy atheist

Michelle got married very young and didn't have much opportunity to pursue an education. It doesn't surprise me that her writing comes off so awkwardly. I doubt that she's writing that way on purpose to express some kind of distaste for standard English.

(ETA: I think I've stepped into a broader discussion/debate/argument. The point of this post isn't to condemn Michelle for her lack of education if that helps at all -- I just don't think that she's deliberately making a point by writing in her particular style.)

All of these points are what trouble me with regard to the way Michelle and Jim Bob's books and articles are written. It's one thing to speak informally when one is relaxed in a casual social setting or caught off guard, but there's a disparity between how they speak and the way they "write," and it makes me think they don't do their own writing. Their first book was edited by a woman called Sue Ann Jones - when they say "edited" do they mean that Sue Ann simply cleaned up the interviews for spelling, grammar, and syntax, maybe made some suggestions regarding content, or did she do the actual writing and spin-doctoring? If I was doing the editing, I'd be pretty pissed if I didn't get credit for the writing.

ETA: forgot a couple of words

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Michelle graduated from high school, which suggests to me that she's capable of learning and using the rules of English better than she does. I don't think anyone expects perfection in this regard, just enough of a change to not have people regularly noticing and commenting on it. If she teaches her children grammar from an outside resource, or if she reads the edited versions of what she has written, she should be able to recognize the differences and improve. Since there has been no obvious improvement since the show started I believe she doesn't care enough to bother vs. being incapable of doing so.

I accept that there are different points of view on this, and that some people are more sensitive to it than others.

Michelle graduated from high school, which suggests to me that she's capable of learning and using the rules of English better than she does. I don't think anyone expects perfection in this regard, just enough of a change to not have people regularly noticing and commenting on it. If she teaches her children grammar from an outside resource, or if she reads the edited versions of what she has written, she should be able to recognize the differences and improve. Since there has been no obvious improvement since the show started I believe she doesn't care enough to bother vs. being incapable of doing so.

I accept that there are different points of view on this, and that some people are more sensitive to it than others.

FFS ( non standard English, please look it up if you don't understand :roll: ) Is it humanly possible to do any more to miss the point ?????

Dear Grammar Police: Please try to comprehend this - YOU are the ones looking really, really silly and ignorant by going on and on about how Michelle should speak correctly in a situation where it absolutely, positively makes NO difference. It makes you look ridiculous. This isn't people being "sensitive" about their background. This isn't people who just can't quite grasp how super, duper important it is to speak like the ruling elite. This isn't about the dumbing down of America. This isn't about Michelle not being educated enough to homeschool her children. This is about looking like an outdated :music-tool: . It is amazing that people can not seem to grasp that their harping on grammar in this situation just looks incredibly stupid. And the patronizing attitude.....omfg do you not even SEE how elitist and classist and archaic you are coming across ?

I know the above rant would benefit from the use of you'al - because I'm speaking to multiple people - but being from California that phrase isn't something that comes naturally to me. Which is too bad because it makes sense !

This seems to be a sensitive topic for you.

I'm not sure why, but the tone of your response seems over the top to the provocation of the discussion. It's reaching the point that it appears strident to me and also just possibly as condescending as you claim the other side to be. You're losing credibility as each post gets angrier and more my way or the highway.

In other words, it's closing in on popcorn time. :popcorn2:

Grammar? Really? Of everything to criticize, you're going with Michelle's grammar?

This thread has been ridiculous all season long. We've had:

-Jinger and Joseph are in an incestuous relationship

-Call DCF because the Duggar children don't wear pajamas

-How dare Jimbob and Michelle let Jordyn get her tonsils removed

-Michelle is so jealous of Anna that she was angry, not worried or concerned, on the way to the birthing center.

-While comforting Anna, Michelle(who totally hates Anna and vice versa), says "you're doing real good". This makes her an idiot.

There are so many things to hate about the Duggars, we don't have to make thing up.

This thread has been ridiculous all season long. We've had:

-Jinger and Joseph are in an incestuous relationship

-Call DCF because the Duggar children don't wear pajamas

-How dare Jimbob and Michelle let Jordyn get her tonsils removed

-Michelle is so jealous of Anna that she was angry, not worried or concerned, on the way to the birthing center.

-While comforting Anna, Michelle(who totally hates Anna and vice versa), says "you're doing real good". This makes her an idiot.

There are so many things to hate about the Duggars, we don't have to make thing up.

Can't tell you how much I agree with this. I'm not the snark police so I'm not going to jump on people every time they bust out with something patently absurd like the stuff listed above, but sometimes it's just too much to not say anything... The Duggars push so many truly harmful actions and beliefs that nitpicking Michelle's facial expressions or speculating about crap that's totally insane (like there's something 'messed up' with the girls being happy to see their brother again) just distracts from the real problems and frankly makes us look like lunatics.

Archived