IGNORED

19 Kids and Counting 2013 - The Duggars do Part 4

happy atheist

I was wondering the same thing. Also: Anna seems to be wearing a full-on dress in the tub. Is that her WholesomeWear swimsuit? WTF?

Having never given birth, I have to ask: why would one want to give birth in a bathtub? Is it more comfortable for the mother?

• Replies 958
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From what I know, giving birth in the water is more comfortable for some women. I have also heard that (some people believe) it is a smoother transition for the baby. There is no risk of the baby drowning because its lungs are not functioning when it first comes out.

I have a question that as a mother I should know:

How is it that the water in the birthing tub is so clear? I expected there to be blood and such in it??

Totally OT, I know, but so it goes. :geek: Thank you for your patience!

They could have refilled it and they didn't show that. Or there might not have been much blood yet. The birth pool after both my water births looked pretty gory, but I have seen others where there was very little or no blood immediately after the birth and it took awhile for any to be noticeable

Why exactly is there no fear of him drowning?

So long as the placenta remains attached, the baby still gets blood and oxygen from it. And unless the water is cold, the warmth of the water keeps the baby from trying to breathe.

A few babies did drown in the 70s or 80s when for some inexplicable reason babies were left under water for awhile, but anyone with any sense grabs the baby out of the water immediately after the birth these days, since there's no way of knowing how quickly the placenta will detach.

If I had just seen those pictures of Michelle holding the baby, without knowing the story, I would think it was her baby the way she's acting. And she almost seems to be glaring at Anna in the after birth group shot. Kind of disturbing.

Josh is very detached. I think he will have an affair in DC.

Michelle had such a face!! But I think it all reminds her of jubilee and she is still grieving over that. It was a bad way for her to end her childbearing years.

I wonder if a woman will deliberately make a play for him in order to sell her story as a Tell All exclusive. Josh will have experienced teen fans flirting with him, so he'll know how to handle that. But those are brief encounters, he will he react if there is someone he has to see on a regular basis making a play for him, how will he handle that? He doesn't have the lifeexexperience to deal with that and I think he might just fall for it.

I have heard of cases of damage and infection from water inhalation in water births. Having an umbilical cord and an instinct not to inhale until in the air are not completely foolproof. Someone with actual expertise might jump in and explain exactly how safe waterbirths are, but my understanding is that they don't introduce that much risk, but a little bit, all the same.

On the photos: Jill looks thrilled in hers. Michelle looks... I don't know. Vulnerable? Broken? Just... hurt, but trying to hide it? Maybe I'm reading too much into things.

Awww, Marcus is just adorable! Josh and Anna really do have cute babies.

I did think Josh and Michelle looked worried on the way to the midwife. He was obviously scaring Anna and Mrs. Query with his driving, I think he was freaking out that she was going to have the baby in the car. The reason she appeared better when they got there is because not only was the positioning out of the car less painful for a contraction, but she didn't have to fear for her life in the car anymore. lol Nothing worse than laboring in a car that's traveling like a bat out of hell. He apologized when he got her out.

I don't think she planned a water birth at all. She didn't feel comfortable with it, and was terrified. I felt sorry for her. It's one thing if that's what you go in wanting, but I think she anticipated laboring in the tub and getting out for delivery and all those women just left her in it! I'd have freaked out too, I'm not big on the water birthing idea, and I'm a pretty all natural birth-er.

I'm not sure about this whole DC thing. Seems like the most extreme move for them, and she will be all alone with three kids. I'd be stressed if I was used to having help and then not having any help at all.

Oh, and kudo's to "built in babysitters". If they own it, I can respect it a little more. Plus it's a bit more normal for aunts to watch nieces and nephews, than for sisters to raise siblings. I like Josh and Anna and wish the best for them in DC, but I don't know how it'll go.

I have heard of cases of damage and infection from water inhalation in water births. Having an umbilical cord and an instinct not to inhale until in the air are not completely foolproof. Someone with actual expertise might jump in and explain exactly how safe waterbirths are, but my understanding is that they don't introduce that much risk, but a little bit, all the same.

On the photos: Jill looks thrilled in hers. Michelle looks... I don't know. Vulnerable? Broken? Just... hurt, but trying to hide it? Maybe I'm reading too much into things.

My last two babies were home water births. The water is fairly shallow, and my midwife grabbed the baby as soon as it was born. Since the baby is still attached via the umbilical cord, it's getting all the oxygen it needs. Warm water is similar to the amniotic fluid a baby is used to, so there is some thinking that it is actually much more comfortable for them to be born into an environment similar to what they are used to. As long as the water is warm, the baby won't gasp for air. Cold water could make the baby gasp, but that wouldn't be very comfortable for the mother and still, the baby is under water for maybe half a second and there is no real risk of it drowning. My first birth was twins and they were born at a hospital. It was a horrible experience for me. The water births were much, much more pleasant and relaxing, which does make a difference to the outcome.

I finally watched VSE yesterday and then caught up with this thread.

I totally thought Michelle looked pissed. I didn't think it was worry at all. I can't say she was pissed at Anna; she may have been pissed at Josh, or pissed that TLC insists she be there at every birth. Who knows? But, I had that pegged for pissed. What I do think is interesting about it: she probably didn't know the cameras were capturing her (hell, it was only 1/2 of her face), so she wasn't "on". Very interesting, methinks.

Upthread people were talking about her being all made up, hair done. I don't see that. She looks rather undone to me. Hair neither straight nor curly, etc.

I liked that Mikey was clearly excited to see Josh when they got home and put his arms out for him. I hope this means he's a loving, involved father.

Personally, I think that TLC was condensing the hour long footage to make it look like Anna was in labor the whole way. It was probably just contractions that felt different from being crouched in a moving car. And if Anna was worried about her baby drowning, I am sure she was worried about a baby living after it had been born in a car. She doesn't seem very knowledgeable about childbirth, the umbilical cord, etc.

As for the TLC/People discrepancy, I would chalk that up to her water breaking at the midwife's house/business/whatever it was. I can totally see a detail like "my water broke" turning into "labor began." Although labor usually begins before the water breaks, how many times have we seen that on scripted tv/movies -- water breaks for unsuspecting pregnant woman, let's go to the hospital?

My 14 year old son who rarely watches the show asked me why Michelle looked so angry during the car ride.

I swear she is clenching her jaw.

I haven't seen the episode, but maybe, just maybe Michelle is still pissed that J&A are moving away?

I really want to see this. Hopefully it's on YouTube very soon.

Michelle is pissed because the spotlight is on her fertile daughter in law, and not her. Also, why are people congratulating Smugger about his job with a hate group? He doesn't deserve praise for this. What skills does he have to get the job? I bet Boob helped him get the job. Smugger can't do anything for himself. I hope Anna finds way to go on birth control. I don't think she's made to have 19 kids. She loves them with all of her heart, and I think she should stop at three. It's going to be hard, because we all know how great Smugger is with his kids.

Michelle is pissed because the spotlight is on her fertile daughter in law, and not her. Also, why are people congratulating Smugger about his job with a hate group? He doesn't deserve praise for this. What skills does he have to get the job? I bet Boob helped him get the job. Smugger can't do anything for himself. I hope Anna finds way to go on birth control. I don't think she's made to have 19 kids. She loves them with all of her heart, and I think she should stop at three. It's going to be hard, because we all know how great Smugger is with his kids.

Agreed about the stopping at a somewhat low number. Anna is a fantastic mother and if she's "willed by God" to have 6+ kids, she would not be able to parent them to the extent she does now.

Since the baby is still attached via the umbilical cord, it's getting all the oxygen it needs.

Djibouti, I really respect your posts but this is not (necessarily) true. The placenta can begin to detach immediately, while the baby is still on the way out. You and I and the midwife would see a baby with the cord still attached and think that he's fine but the oxygen depravation will have already begun.

I've had a water birth, too, and it was definitely more comfortable for me. But the baby has to come out of water into air at some point... I'm not sure it makes a difference to him if it's as he emerges from mom's body or a few seconds later as he emerges from the birth pool/bath tub.

Those who think that fundies are caught up in the "woo" might enjoy reading The Skeptical OB. http://www.skepticalob.com/

Just a few comments about the Marcus VSE

- J'Chelle's bizarre stare and silence on the drive - wtf - it's like she was drugged. With that said she is actually quite quite beautiful with flat hair and minimal to no make-up!

- I know TLC doesn't want to get anywhere near a FRC connection, but how long can they keep it as vague as simply "new job" - not even a mention as to the type of job or anything!

- The labor/birth seemed so uneventful that they had to play-up the driving scenes to making it slightly interesting.

- Josh needs instructions and possibly "written" instructions in order to buy shoes for two kids? :music-tool:

- I'm so happy Jim-Boob had limited exposure in this episode, but when his robotic face was on camera it was seriously grating.

- Jinger hopes Marcus grows up to be a "Godly" man - yawn - Josiah had the best quip - "You have no idea what you're in for!"

It would be nice to have a short season to see how they survive the DC move and life, but I am over the rest of them.

I agree that Michelle looked gorgeous! I thought it was kind of funny how Anna's doula told Josh to basically stop driving like a douche.

Just a few comments about the Marcus VSE

- J'Chelle's bizarre stare and silence on the drive - wtf - it's like she was drugged. With that said she is actually quite quite beautiful with flat hair and minimal to no make-up!

- I know TLC doesn't want to get anywhere near a FRC connection, but how long can they keep it as vague as simply "new job" - not even a mention as to the type of job or anything!

- The labor/birth seemed so uneventful that they had to play-up the driving scenes to making it slightly interesting.

- Josh needs instructions and possibly "written" instructions in order to buy shoes for two kids? :music-tool:

- I'm so happy Jim-Boob had limited exposure in this episode, but when his robotic face was on camera it was seriously grating.

- Jinger hopes Marcus grows up to be a "Godly" man - yawn - Josiah had the best quip - "You have no idea what you're in for!"

It would be nice to have a short season to see how they survive the DC move and life, but I am over the rest of them.

Judging by the look on Josiah's face when he said this, I think he feels sorry for the kid already.

The J'Slaves know what Smugger and Anna's kids are in for. I'd feel more sorry if M3 had been a girl. I feel the most sorry for Mack. She'll be the one raising all of the babies that her parents pop out every few years.

Finally watched the new episode on Youtube, but only found parts 1, 2, and 5 - anyone know where the rest are?

For those with TLC on cable I think it's showing again tonight.

Gee... they had quite a viewership for sunday night

19 Kids and Counting TLC 8:00 PM 1.37 0.5

I think this is the first 0.5 they've pulled!

Agreed about the stopping at a somewhat low number. Anna is a fantastic mother and if she's "willed by God" to have 6+ kids, she would not be able to parent them to the extent she does now.

I agree. Anna is a really good mom. I hope she slows down. You could tell when she was having Michael that she was worried about her daughter. She seems to know her children and take time to be with them. If she's trying to be Michelle at some point she will not be able to do that.

Archived