IGNORED

A day in the life of Michelle Duggar

MrsYoungie

A day in the life that Michelle Duggar should live, but her oldest kids actually do. She's a lazy bum.

Pretty much that, I imagine she's a lazy boar too. In about every 2 weeks she gives a speech, cashes in a little, they says, see? I've talked to eleventy gajillion people, now I'll have to spend the next 2 weeks resting because it drained me totally.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember back on the TWoP board someone dug up a fundie blog that said something like while the Little House series is acceptable for girls to read, Laura Ingalls Wilder is not an inspirational woman. Probably because she worked as a schoolteacher and wrote a successful book series and had the nerve to omit the word "obey" from her wedding vows.

http://www.keepersofthefaith.com/catego ... FaithIndex

http://kofcompany.com/christianbookrevi ... ie-series/

Apparently even Goodnight Moon is of the devil:

http://kofcompany.com/christianbookrevi ... ight-moon/

No wonder these poor kids are so uneducated :( There isnt anything they are actually allowed to read.

Pretty much that, I imagine she's a lazy boar too. In about every 2 weeks she gives a speech, cashes in a little, they says, see? I've talked to eleventy gajillion people, now I'll have to spend the next 2 weeks resting because it drained me totally.

On one show Mullet did admit that she likes to rest in that big chair in the master bedroom, listening to the bible on tape.

No wonder these poor kids are so uneducated :( There isnt anything they are actually allowed to read.

I know, it's really sad. What could they get away with?

Berenstein Bears? The main characters are defined by their familial identities, but Sister Bear wears pants and has adventures with Brother Bear.

Dr. Seuss? Oh wait, too whimsically political. (I'd love to read a Botkin breakdown of some of those books!)

So...what could they read?

Well, there are the Moody books.

This is without a doubt the most asinine thing I've read in a very long time. :angry-banghead:

Those poor Duggar children. Can't even read Goodnight Moon. :cry:

I read it. Didn't know my eyes could roll that much. Sad these people are raising children.

Pathway Readers has readers through an 8th grade reading level, complete with workbooks to reinforce what you are learning. It's good enough for the Amish, so surely it's nice and Fundie approved. Even better, once you master 8th grade reading, you can get instructional books on how to drive a horse and buggy by the same publisher. Afterall, in the SOTDRT world, completed high school reading level is what the rest of us consider 8th grade anyway, and since children are not supposed to go to college, learning a retro apprenticechip skill such as Ferrier is just a PERFECT way to find a nitch to earn an income and support a family. Who needs a used car lot or a tree trimming business when you can work with horses and buggies!

A Day in the Life of J'chelle

Wake up and do nothing

Eat breakfast and do nothing

Eat lunch and do nothing

Maybe I'll yell at the kids today

Eat dinner and do nothing

Snuggle with JimBoob

Sleep

Wash, rinse, repeat.

(I only read the first page)

I remember back on the TWoP board someone dug up a fundie blog that said something like while the Little House series is acceptable for girls to read, Laura Ingalls Wilder is not an inspirational woman. Probably because she worked as a schoolteacher and wrote a successful book series and had the nerve to omit the word "obey" from her wedding vows.

Surely, a fundie could twist a Little House book to highlight the fundie-favorable aspects such as Laura sewing bed sheets, dropping out of school to get married, spring cleaning to surprise Ma & Pa, helping in the kitchen at a church social, etc.

WHAT?! When I posted earlier in this thread imagining Michelle reading preschool books to her high school aged kids, I thought long and hard to make sure I came up with example picture books that even the fundiest of fundies couldn't turn down. I came up with two authors: Eric Carle (The Very Hungry Caterpillar) and Margaret Wise Brown (Goodnight Moon.) This is absolutely effing ridiculous. Next somebody'll tell me that fundies are denouncing The Very Hungry Caterpillar for promoting gluttony.

WHAT?! When I posted earlier in this thread imagining Michelle reading preschool books to her high school aged kids, I thought long and hard to make sure I came up with example picture books that even the fundiest of fundies couldn't turn down. I came up with two authors: Eric Carle (The Very Hungry Caterpillar) and Margaret Wise Brown (Goodnight Moon.) This is absolutely effing ridiculous. Next somebody'll tell me that fundies are denouncing The Very Hungry Caterpillar for promoting gluttony.

It will be denounced for not mentioning Jesus and there is no parental imput.

The rule for my nieces and nephews is no books where animals take the place of humans, act as humans or are drawn in human type settings. The Very Hungry Caterpiller was allowed because it is a caterpiller acting as a caterpiller. I'd never heard of Goodnight Moon until it was mentioned here but after reading reading that review I am sure it would be banned because a rabbit does not say goodnight.

I got a lecture from my brother-in-law after I gave them "Guess how much I love you?" where a father rabbit and child rabbit compare how much they love each other. Just imagine how much damage that could do to his newborn baby! The Hairy Macleary series didn't go down well either. The content was ok, as it is about dogs acting as dogs and cats acting as cats. The problem was the stories were turned into television shows. Apparently that means the author must not be a proper Christian.

She encourages them to read because books can be their best friends and they can learn a lot from books?

Sure this is true if you're actually allowed to read real literature. But, real literature is full of all kinds of things that arent pure.

I think what she meant to say is "I make my children read the bible. And I read it to them. Or someone does. The bible is their only friend outside of their siblings."

Well, there are the Moody books.

That is likely to make their education worse :shock:

Sarah writes like a 6 year old.

If all they have is the Moodys, fundie related books and the Bible, theyre screwed :(

Id love to sneak in some real books for them, read to them and give them some real attention.

She encourages them to read because books can be their best friends and they can learn a lot from books?

Sure this is true if you're actually allowed to read real literature. But, real literature is full of all kinds of things that arent pure.

I think what she meant to say is "I make my children read the bible. And I read it to them. Or someone does. The bible is their only friend outside of their siblings."

This x 1000

Their reading is so restricted that bible based books are the only acceptable materials. So limiting. And sad.

The rule for my nieces and nephews is no books where animals take the place of humans, act as humans or are drawn in human type settings. The Very Hungry Caterpiller was allowed because it is a caterpiller acting as a caterpiller. I'd never heard of Goodnight Moon until it was mentioned here but after reading reading that review I am sure it would be banned because a rabbit does not say goodnight.

I got a lecture from my brother-in-law after I gave them "Guess how much I love you?" where a father rabbit and child rabbit compare how much they love each other. Just imagine how much damage that could do to his newborn baby! The Hairy Macleary series didn't go down well either. The content was ok, as it is about dogs acting as dogs and cats acting as cats. The problem was the stories were turned into television shows. Apparently that means the author must not be a proper Christian.

Apparently the problem is that in giving animals human characteristics, the separation between "man" and animal is broken down which is ungodly (we are to have dominion over the animals). Also, the anti-christ will have the ability to make animals talk so these books could be seen as precursors to the coming of the anti-christ. Really, that's what they say! It's fucking unbelievable

I guess that leaves out Beatrix Potter, too. :?

:angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Of course Beatrix Potter would be forbidden. She was an educated woman, a conservationist and a Unitarian, the horror! snerk.

...I may have derailed the thread... :oops:

I found a list of the best picture books of all time, and went through finding "objectionable" content in most of them. For instance...

Where The Wild Things Are? disobedience (not to mention, the parents don't follow through with their punishment.)

The Polar Express? perpetuating the War On Christmas (no mention of Jesus).

The Giving Tree? trees don't talk!

The Little Engine That Could? finding inner strength yourself instead of asking Jesus for help.

Love You Forever? the mom tells her son she loves him instead of giving him "consequences" for being naughty.

Make Way For Ducklings? (a personal favorite) no explicit moral message-- on the same level as "Row Row Row Your Boat." :lol:

I'm not saying there's any evidence the Duggars specifically are forbidding these books because of their minor deviations from their sickeningly narrow worldview. But if there's a market for the Moody books out there, then someone's got to be doing it.

Ugh, I had a more complex point to make, but the thought of anyone seriously following any of those rules is just too sad...

ETA: Did you notice that the message of at least two of those books is the exact same as Jesus's (radical, eternal love)? And yet the focus is all about the freakin' talking bunnies.

Apparently the problem is that in giving animals human characteristics, the separation between "man" and animal is broken down which is ungodly (we are to have dominion over the animals). Also, the anti-christ will have the ability to make animals talk so these books could be seen as precursors to the coming of the anti-christ. Really, that's what they say! It's fucking unbelievable

The lecture BiL gave all centred around "Do not make graven images or likenesses of God." We are made in the image of God so if we make anything else into our image then that is a graven image and against the Ten Commandments. BiL used the same argument to ban my niees from having dolls.

Woah, to further the derail -- I wandered around that site and found this :pink-shock: account of Anne of Green Gables ... this girl has some, um, issues.

kofcompany.com/christianbookreview/blog/2013/03/anne-of-green-gables/

Not meaning to derail the thread, but that "I Love You Forever" book by Munsch always choked me up - and I don't cry easily!

Archived