IGNORED

What's For Dinner - Part 2

happy atheist

We are having a pizza topped with sweet corn, roasted onions, and smoked mozzarella. (This is available for about two months in the summer, and I have very little desire to eat any other kind of pizza when I can find this.) Peapods. Salad greens.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A nice campfire dessert.

Split a banana down the long way and stuff it with peanut butter chips and mini- marshmallows, wrap in foil and grill.

You can use caramel and chocolate chips, too.

Grilled chicken, potatoes and mixed veggies, all marinated in lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and oregano. Blueberry sour-cream cake for dessert.

^ That sounds delicious. I never met a chickpea I didn't like.

We are having grilled cheese sandwiches tonight, using some sheep cheese and sour cherry jam. Green salad with nectarines and almonds alongside.

We've got a friend coming over to cook and eat dinner with us who is interested in a couple of our Indian cookbooks. Here's the plan:

Tamil dishes:

tomato rasam

rice fried with urad dal, coconut, and spices

cucumber salad with mung dal, chiles, and coconut

Rajasthani dish:

stir-fried okra

poppadums

If we want dessert, there is ginger ice cream in the freezer.

^ That sounds delicious. I never met a chickpea I didn't like.

We are having grilled cheese sandwiches tonight, using some sheep cheese and sour cherry jam. Green salad with nectarines and almonds alongside.

Here is a link to the recipe on the other thread viewtopic.php?f=58&t=18&start=280

Needs to marinate about an hour, but it gets even better the longer you leave it.

Any suggestions for dinner when it is over 112 degrees. That will happen next week and I need to be prepared.

Dips and bread. Easy to make and minimal stove time. Hummus, guacamole, tzatziki, tomato salsa, pineapple or mango salsa, pita or naan or tortilla or French bread. Spanish rice. Lay everything out and let people fix their own bowls.

Gazpacho soup is great when it is frying out.

Lillybee:

I'm seconding AreteJo's recommendation for gazpacho. I love a flavorful bean salad when it's hot, too, and although I generally prefer the taste of freshly cooked beans, I will go for canned when it's hot out. I'll just put some garlic, lemon, herbs, and oil in the blender to make dressing, then add it to the beans and let it marinate for a couple hours. One I'm making this week (recipe courtesy of Cafe Latte, a sandwich shop I visited back when I lived in the Midwest):

3 15-oz. cans black beans

3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice

1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced

¾ c. salsa, preferably pico de gallo

¼ c. cilantro, chopped

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp. hot sauce

1 c. green onions, chopped

1 c. tomatoes, chopped

Drain the beans and rinse them in lime juice. Add the rest of the ingredients; stir well. Use as a spread on sandwiches, toast, or chips, or serve on lettuce leaves as a salad.

Another idea: couscous-based salads (or bulgur-based salads like tabbouli) take very little cooking time, which is handy.

Omelets cook pretty quickly.

If you decide to make something that can be served chilled or room temperature but needs some cooking (e.g., a pasta or grain-based salad), do whatever cooking you can in the morning, before the kitchen is as insufferable as it will be later in the day.

It is at the moment what passes for hot where I live, and we're making Bloody Mary tomato salad tonight, then having a baguette and goat cheese with it.

Pasta sauce made from eggplant and tomatoes over whole wheat penne, antipasto salad and garlic bread. Rhubarb dump cake for dessert.

Chicken tortilla soup this evening. Not sure what I will cook tomorrow. Maybe just a salad or something light.

Lillybee:

I'm seconding AreteJo's recommendation for gazpacho. I love a flavorful bean salad when it's hot, too, and although I generally prefer the taste of freshly cooked beans, I will go for canned when it's hot out. I'll just put some garlic, lemon, herbs, and oil in the blender to make dressing, then add it to the beans and let it marinate for a couple hours. One I'm making this week (recipe courtesy of Cafe Latte, a sandwich shop I visited back when I lived in the Midwest):

3 15-oz. cans black beans

3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice

1 small jalapeno, seeded and minced

¾ c. salsa, preferably pico de gallo

¼ c. cilantro, chopped

1 tsp. salt

1 tsp cumin

1 tsp. hot sauce

1 c. green onions, chopped

1 c. tomatoes, chopped

Drain the beans and rinse them in lime juice. Add the rest of the ingredients; stir well. Use as a spread on sandwiches, toast, or chips, or serve on lettuce leaves as a salad.

Another idea: couscous-based salads (or bulgur-based salads like tabbouli) take very little cooking time, which is handy.

Omelets cook pretty quickly.

If you decide to make something that can be served chilled or room temperature but needs some cooking (e.g., a pasta or grain-based salad), do whatever cooking you can in the morning, before the kitchen is as insufferable as it will be later in the day.

It is at the moment what passes for hot where I live, and we're making Bloody Mary tomato salad tonight, then having a baguette and goat cheese with it.

This sounds good. May put that on the menu.

Huevos rancheros, using queso fresco and black bean spread.

For dessert, The Partner had fig ice cream with nectarines and balsamic vinegar. I had nectarines alone, as they are my possibly my favorite part of summer.

(Story time: The Partner, while we were dating long distance, sent a flat rate box of fruit every week of the summer. I remember chain-eating something like six nectarines while sitting on the kitchen floor one Tuesday in August thinking, "I need to move to California. These taste better than all the other things I know combined.")

Grilled pork tenderloin, corn, potato Cobb salad, and homemade apricot ice cream.

Archived