IGNORED

What's For Dinner - Part 2

happy atheist

Last night we went out to dinner: modernist pan-Asian food made by someone with a Korean background and a lot of French training. (It was a menu of many small plates. My favorite was a bit of housemade buckwheat noodles with roasted cauliflower and a sauce flavored with charred green onion: little portion, very big taste.)

Tonight, we are making Çılbır-- poached (or in this case, baked) eggs served with a yogurt sauce and topped with some melted, Aleppo pepper-spiked butter, all on top of sauteed greens.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Made regular pizza and gluten free pizza last night. I couldn't find a recipe for dough using only gf flours that did not involve xanthan gum. So I made my own recipe after doing a lot of homework. And it was decent! A little earthy thanks to the buckwheat, but decently moist and not too fragile. It needs more work, but it didn't totally suck. Yay!

It's such a joke, though, how much more work it is to make than regular sigh. It has four times the ingredients and takes about four times as long to make the initial dough.

Wtclyf, that pizza dough seems like a serious win, especially making it sans recipe.

We stuffed tomatoes with roasted eggplant puree tonight, made some tzatziki, toasted a little bread, and called it dinner. The Partner has embarked on round 2 of the great mastic panna cotta project; the first batch was firmer than either of us wanted (agar just sets differently from gelatin) and needed a higher ratio of sweetening to resin.

Moroccan chicken with cilantro yogurt sauce, couscous with pine nuts and dates, and salad. Yum.

Leftover quinoa fritters. Leftover gluten-free cornbread with a bit of mozza toasted under the broiler. Braised the rest of the chard in my fridge with green onions and tomatoes, some kalamata olives, a splash of cider vinegar and a dash of pepper, and stirred in a bit of feta at the end. I don't really like chard very much (I prefer kale and collards by far), but it's one of the approximately 5 vegetables I'm allowed to eat, and this recipe was delicious. The sourness of the vinegar and saltiness of the olives and feta really removed the characteristic bitterness of the chard.

We had a thread like this before and I always loved seeing what everyone was having for dinner :D

We are having:

Spaghetti w/ meat sauce

Oven roasted french style green beans and mushrooms

corn

garlic bread

So what are you guys having?

Didn't the old thread like this get moved to the "Hobbies-Food" board?

We're having pork chops, cream of mushroom rice, and broccoli. Nom.

I'd been planning on making lentil salad tonight, as we'll be traveling, but we had such ample leftovers that lunch for tomorrow was already covered. So we had lemon-ricotta ravioli with chopped tomatoes (black prince for saltiness and umami, plus early girl and sulpice for acidity).

Dessert was mastic panna cotta (think of gin, or the scent of copal resin, and you won't be far off) with cherry sauce and chopped pistachios, version 2.0. And The Partner took a picture.

Tonight: Thai chicken soup with curry + jasmine rice.

I love curry. I mean, I am obsessed with curry. I saw someone mention a recipe on another thread that I'm going to try tomorrow: condensed pumpkin soup mixed with coconut milk + veggies, curry powder, protein. I'm thinking shrimp sounds good with this one :)

Tonight: Thai chicken soup with curry + jasmine rice.

I love curry. I mean, I am obsessed with curry. I saw someone mention a recipe on another thread that I'm going to try tomorrow: condensed pumpkin soup mixed with coconut milk + veggies, curry powder, protein. I'm thinking shrimp sounds good with this one :)

I'm anxious to hear about your results with the pumpkin soup curry. I didn't even realize pumpkin soup was sold condensed.

If you can get Maesri Thai curry pastes, I cannot recommend them enough. I am actually able to find them in a Korean supermarket a bit of distance from me, but totally worth hitting once a quarter to stock up on curry pastes, soy sauce, fish sauce, and sesame oil. Great produce as well, I just wish it was closer.

I'd been planning on making lentil salad tonight, as we'll be traveling, but we had such ample leftovers that lunch for tomorrow was already covered. So we had lemon-ricotta ravioli with chopped tomatoes (black prince for saltiness and umami, plus early girl and sulpice for acidity).

Dessert was mastic panna cotta (think of gin, or the scent of copal resin, and you won't be far off) with cherry sauce and chopped pistachios, version 2.0. And The Partner took a picture.

RachelB, that photo is glorious! I want to dive right in.

ETA: tonight's dinner was pedestrian yet delicious taco salad. Mine had no onions, but I put in roasted garlic scapes, roasted tomatoes, roasted zucchini (which somehow got way oversalted), Havarti, olives, some ground beef seasoned with jalapenos and lime, and a tasty dressing of mayo, yogurt, sriracha sauce, cayenne pepper and smoked paprika. All this over a base of artisan lettuce and locally-made tortilla chips. It was FILLING.

Tonight is chicken and dumplings. It's rainy gray day in central NJ - no grilling !

Went to the market, visited the fishmonger, convinced them to sell us small pieces of sushi-grade tuna and salmon, and made some sushi! This was our 2nd attempt at making it, and it is SO FUN to make, if you're into really fussy work in the kitchen, which I am. Also, we watched the documentary "Jiro Dreams of Sushi" last weekend and it inspired me to attempt making nigiri, remembering the directions to squeeze it "as if you are squeezing a baby chick(!)," directions which are both hilarious and memorable. Cutting the salmon nigiri pieces was fun and easy; tuna was a bit more difficult, but I got 4 nice pieces and made the rest into a spicy tuna roll. I also made a sort-of california roll minus the breadcrumbs. Mr. Wtylcf made the rice and it was delicious, though we're using Martini Bianco instead of sake in the rice, and it tastes a little bit different than it should. I doubt I'll be apprenticing for any restaurant anytime soon, but it's so much fun to try making sushi.

Back from visiting The Partner's sister. We had a (corn and smoked onion, natch) pizza stashed in the freezer, thank goodness, because we are both too sleepy for chopping things.

BLTs, corn on the cob, cucumbers in sour cream. Raspberries in cream for dessert.

Caesar salad with homemade egg yolk dressing (thickened over a boilling water bath), broiled chicken, and homemade gluten free cornbread croutons.

Vichyssoise using Julia Child's recipe. Surprisingly for her it was a very simple recipe. It's in the fridge chilling so it will be cold by supper time (almost 90F here today :x )

Archived