IGNORED

What's For Dinner - Part 2

happy atheist

Ravioli stuffed with chard and onion. Mixed greens. Huckleberry tart for dessert. (I kind of fail at pastry. The dough wanted to stick to the waxed paper, not to be placed in the pie tin, so I had to pat it in bit by bit like a shortbread. And then I forgot to weight it with beans while prebaking it, since our beans are for eating. Hence, it looks embarrassing. But it smells good. I'm just finishing the glaze.)

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lasagne al forno and salad. The sauce is simmering away as I type and will do so for a few hours as dinner is not for six hours or so. Mmm flavour!

My garden rhubarb is going into a crumble, i figure the super sweet ice-cream I made with the bag method will be great with this and will save adding too much sugar to the rhubarb.

Going to freeze all the garden herbs I have today and make blackcurrant jam. Been working a lot which is unusual so need to catch up and kid and Mr have been asking for homemade lasagne for days. Need to go buy school shoes, and assorted holiday shopping required for our holiday, soon as home, going to open a nice red and sip while doing all the cooking, freezing and stuff. HAPPY not working day for me!!!

the FODMAPs diet is kicking my ass. I just about had a breakdown in the grocery store yesterday when I realized that every single sausage contains either wheat or onion powder. Also, all our milk seems to have carrageenan in it, including the almond milk I just bought. (carrageenan is a seaweed used as a thickener - fun fact; it's also a carcinogen and a laxative!) So I replaced that shit with expensive organic coffee milk that cost twice as much as normal. I've been having some very very bad episodes in spite of cutting out half my diet, and I need to get to the bottom of things.

Anyway, yesterday we shared a steak, and I invented some pretty tasty braised kale to go with it. Minced a bit of pork saucisson sec, crisped it in the pan, reduced a tin of whole tomatoes, added salt and fresh ground green pepper, herbs de provence, sweet smoked paprika, and mustard powder. Braised the kale for about 10 mins until soft and tender. It was super delicious. Had it with a side of kamut toast. Had a few bites of peanut butter homemade granola for dessert.

Been researching gluten free flour mixes, and have realized that a vast majority contain either chickpea powder, or xantham gum, both of which I can't have. I have resolved to make my own.

*edited because I learned how to spell "saucisson."

wtylcf - I hope you get it sorted soon. It sounds far too complicated!

Tonight we are having Cobb salad.

Stuffed tomatoes (breadcrumbs, olives, vegetarian Worcestershire sauce, celery seed, pepper flakes; topped with a goat cheese/Panko cap and broiled).

BBQ pulled pork sandwiches, mac and cheese, vinegar slaw and strawberry shortcake for dessert.

Chicken Balti with poppadums, naan, raitha, with cucumber, tomato, red onion, coriander, chilli, lime and pine nut salad.

HAWT!

Chicken Balti with poppadums, naan, raitha, with cucumber, tomato, red onion, coriander, chilli, lime and pine nut salad.

HAWT!

AKA "food one can taste even with a stuffy nose." :D

The shelling beans have arrived at the market, so we're making a bean salad with them tonight (flavored with roasted tomato, lovage, smoked onion), to be had with crusty bread and tomatillo/cucumber gazpacho.

Tonight we're cooking Burmese food with a friend (whose kitchen has space for more than ours, :lol: ). Along with rice, we'll make a pickled ginger salad, an eggplant curry, a fairly simple dal dish, and a sour plum and chile chutney.

Really tasty camping food on the weekend! Gluten and onion free sausages, toasted over the fire, with potatoes and corn on the cob roasted in the fire, in foil. Yesterday, had chicken skewers in a lime cajun marinade also over the fire, with yellow pepper and zucchini skewers. Fresh raspberries for dessert. My stomach seems finally a little better, hurrah!

Tonight I'm making Eggplant Parmigiana in all of its cheesy, red-saucey glory.

FODMAPs living is finally going much better. Tonight, had some leftover quinoa falafel-type things with cheddar cheese, green onion sprouts, garlic scapes, and smoked paprika. Served with a side of Greek salad, subbing thin radish slices for the usual red onions to provide some spiciness, and a side of oven-baked matchstick fries (roast dry on parchment, then add a light dab of oil when starting to brown). Super delicious! Blueberries for dessert.

Salad of cubed peaches, cucumbers, fresh basil leaves, fresh mint leaves and red onion in a white vinegar/olive oil emulsion. Some French bread and feta cheese on the side.

^ That all sounds awesome. Can we have a potluck?

I'm making a corn soup (incorporating the last of the sweet corn in the fridge) with soft tofu, using a coconut milk and veggie stock base. Shredded carrot salad with nuts and fried shallots. Leftover plum chutney.

First BLTs and corn on the cob of the summer :D (our local farm stand FINALLY opened yesterday); So BLTs, cucumbers, and corn on the cob; blueberries in cream for dessert.

Right now Mr wtylcf is trying an experiment with grapefruit, basil and maple syrup marinade for salmon. I've made veggie stock and am preparing to make risotto and tomato braised chard with olives and capers. No, those tastes do not go together very well ;-). I was lobbying for an olive tapenade on the salmon but someone wanted to try grapefruit and basil to complement the IPA he's having, so experiments ahoy!

MrDrPusey is away, so I made a skillet of the New York Times's recipe for Blackened Skillet Okra. In high summer, I want okra a couple of times made this way - it gets charred and slightly crispy, and nary a hint of mucilage.

Today was "let's experiment because we have no plan day". So it was chickpeas, shredded carrot, red onion, poppy seeds, lemon juice and olive oil, served over rice. Not bad at all.

Archived