IGNORED

What's For Dinner - Part 2

happy atheist

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Early Father's Day Dinner: hamburgers with the fixings, grilled green beans, and grilled/foil potatoes with chives. And strawberry shortcake for dessert. :D

^ Yay for strawberry shortcake!

It is supposed to be pretty warm here. I'm making a couple of salads-- one chard and tomato with roasted peanuts and lime, the other roasted eggplant flavored with shallot oil. We'll have them with rice.

For dessert, I'm making an ice cream that mimics the flavors of turrón-- pistachio, almond, honey, orange flower water, and candied citrus peel. It will be especially nice with peaches, which we still have in abundance.

Big salad with grilled veggies, chickpeas, and feta. Fresh South Carolina peaches. I hate the heat of summer, but love the abundant fresh produce!!

Two salads: Potato salad with shallots and sundried tomatoes (oil and lemon dressing). White bean salad with herbs and bell pepper. And some more peapods, because something green is pleasant.

Anatolian chicken and orzo. One pot wonder of chicken, orzo, tomato paste, diced tomato, onion, garlic, cumin, cinnamon, red pepper and bay leaf.

I usually do not but and prepared foods but I was craving Tyson's Buffalo Chicken Strips. When I went to buy them, I read the back of the package and discovered that there is over 1K mgs of sodium in a two strip serving so I am making them from scratch. Wish me luck.

Greek salad to start. Beef Stifado then starwberries and clotted cream. Late Father's day night for my Dad. He just loves all things Greek. Thankfully no Ouzo. Last time that happened I forgot it was supposed to be a little :lol:

Ok the strawberries are Scottish but they are totally in season here and I just bought 1kg for £2. Third time this week. Yum.

I am looking for meal ideas for our vacation. We are renting a cottage in the mountains for 5 nights. It has a small galley kitchen with a small oven and stove, microwave oven, and grills outside> I think they have a campfire area, too. Since I will have to be cooking on my vacation (Mr. Morbid is a mailman, and they lost all their overtime, so it's almost all we can do to rent the cabin) I am looking for relatively easy things to prepare. Maybe something fun other than s'mores (she's doesn't like chocolate at all) for the kid, too. I already made banana bread and froze some mini-meatloaves for our trip. Thanks for your help! I'm low on ideas!

Greek salad to start. Beef Stifado then starwberries and clotted cream. Late Father's day night for my Dad. He just loves all things Greek. Thankfully no Ouzo. Last time that happened I forgot it was supposed to be a little :lol:

Ok the strawberries are Scottish but they are totally in season here and I just bought 1kg for £2. Third time this week. Yum.

I finally had a chance to try clotted cream. It is incredible, so rich and good. It is incredibly expensive on my side of the pond. 7.00 American dollars for 160 grams.

We had fish, baked potato, and broccoli. We're trying to have fish more often, need to work on the cholesterol.

Hey, Greece has a rockin' strawberry season that starts in late May, so your Greek Father's Day dinner was completely authentic.

I always tell people that if a Greek allows you to do more than one shot of ouzo, they are not your friend. :naughty: :P

I am looking for meal ideas for our vacation. We are renting a cottage in the mountains for 5 nights. It has a small galley kitchen with a small oven and stove, microwave oven, and grills outside> I think they have a campfire area, too. Since I will have to be cooking on my vacation (Mr. Morbid is a mailman, and they lost all their overtime, so it's almost all we can do to rent the cabin) I am looking for relatively easy things to prepare. Maybe something fun other than s'mores (she's doesn't like chocolate at all) for the kid, too. I already made banana bread and froze some mini-meatloaves for our trip. Thanks for your help! I'm low on ideas!

Have fun!

I fondly remember camper stew from my youth-- wrapped seasoned chopped vegetables (and meat if you eat it) up in foil, then put it in the coals. Beadalin, in the thread here, gives directions: http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/arc ... 75679.html

One-dish meals are good-- stews or substantial salads-- because they require less space to prepare and less cleanup. Tabbouli can be made with very little fuel (because the bulgur gets soaked in boiling water, rather than cooked). Ditto couscous. I make this couscous dish every time I go camping with family, because everybody likes it:

Ginger-Honey Chickpea Couscous

2 tsp. olive oil

1 tsp. cumin seeds

2 T. fresh ginger, finely chopped (I often chop it ahead of time and freeze it.)

5 tsp. curry

15 oz. can chickpeas, drained

14 oz. can chopped tomatoes, with juice

3 T. honey

½ tsp. salt

½ tsp. pepper

1 ½ cup vegetable stock (using reconstituted bouillon is fine)

1/4 cup orange juice

1 ½ cup uncooked couscous

1/3 cup chopped cilantro

In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add cumin; stir till seeds pop (about 1 minute). Add ginger; stir till fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add curry and saute 30 seconds more. Add chickpeas, tomatoes and juice, honey, salt, pepper, stock, and orange juice; bring to a boil. Stir in couscous. Remove from heat. Cover. Let stand till liquid is absorbed (about 5 minutes). Fluff with a fork. Add cilantro. Serves 4-6.

Make your own burgers for the barbecue. Pork. Beef that's 2 nights right there I also spatchcock chickens and barbecue, tasty and cheaper to buy the whole bird. Does your kiddie like fruit? Barbecued pineapple is AMAZING! IF there is a campfire try fish. Fish on a stick tastes great when kids think they cooked it themselves.

Veggies charred on the BBQ also awesome. IF there is a grill I never enter the kitchen :lol: That is a holiday to me. Have fun!

Hey, Greece has a rockin' strawberry season that starts in late May, so your Greek Father's Day dinner was completely authentic.

I always tell people that if a Greek allows you to do more than one shot of ouzo, they are not your friend. :naughty: :P

The last time I had Ouzo I seriously thought I had died the next day :lol:

Thank you, Rachel B and OKtoBeTakei for the meal ideas for our vacation! I'm not sure if we will have any chances to grill out or over the campfire, as the weather forecast is calling for rain EVERY day of our trip!!! Regardless, I am sure we will enjoy the family time, together (and the hubby won't be otherwise preoccupied playing World Of Warcraft)! Woo hoo, mountains, here we come!

Making a POINT to not bring any Ouzo with us, Worst. Hangover. Ever.

Sambucca runs a close second!

Have any of you ever tried Retsina? It's a Greek wine that tastes like it was aged in an old turpentine barrel. It's an acquired taste, and also packs a whallop, for a wine!

Thank you, Rachel B and OKtoBeTakei for the meal ideas for our vacation! I'm not sure if we will have any chances to grill out or over the campfire, as the weather forecast is calling for rain EVERY day of our trip!!! Regardless, I am sure we will enjoy the family time, together (and the hubby won't be otherwise preoccupied playing World Of Warcraft)! Woo hoo, mountains, here we come!

Making a POINT to not bring any Ouzo with us, Worst. Hangover. Ever.

Sambucca runs a close second!

Have any of you ever tried Retsina? It's a Greek wine that tastes like it was aged in an old turpentine barrel. It's an acquired taste, and also packs a whallop, for a wine!

Yes! I shared a bottle of retsina once when traveling, and it was yummy. But then I am fond of things that taste like tree.

Yes! I shared a bottle of retsina once when traveling, and it was yummy. But then I am fond of things that taste like tree.

Good Lord, yes I have had more than my share of retsina. It is an acquired taste, and frankly I have never understood why anyone who did not grow up with it would find it worth acquiring. It is actually aged with tree resin, that is where the "turpentine" taste comes from.

Thank God about 25 years ago Greek winemakes started sending their kids to France and Italy so they relearned how to make a decent wine. :dance:

Lightly charred peaches cut up over yogurt are very yummy as well in terms of things to cook over a campfire. The sugars get concentrated.

Archived