IGNORED

Duggars heading to Iowa for Labor Day

HereticHick

The Bontragers (who are better musicians than the Duggars, IMHO) have announced that the Duggars are joining them in Iowa for a Labor Day concert: bontragersingers.blogspot.com

There are some courtship possibilities there. Wonder if it will be filmed for next season of TLC?

I will make sure to stay as far away as I can from Iowa so that I don't have to hear the Duggars' violin screeching.

Why are they at a labor day concert? Isn't that for evil heathens who actually work?

The Bontragers (who are better musicians than the Duggars, IMHO) have announced that the Duggars are joining them in Iowa for a Labor Day concert: bontragersingers.blogspot.com

There are some courtship possibilities there. Wonder if it will be filmed for next season of TLC?

That would be interesting - the Bontragers have a strong Mennonite heritage, although they are ATI with VF tendencies and good friends with the Bates.

The two older daughters need husbands, but they both seem a bit princessy for JD, and I'm not sure if Mitchell Bontrager is old enough to court.

Oh good god, the chick who has the Duggar and Bates fan pages now wants to make one for the Bontragers. What would it say and who would follow it? Well I would, obviously, cause the Bontragers are one if my favourite examples of fundie crazy, but they don't really do much or have a media presence outside of conservative Christian circles.

Mitchell is what, 20 or 21? Or at least about to be. He's old enough to court and the Duggars have some daughters around his age. They need to start marrying these girls off. Or one of them needs to get pregnant and join the cast of "I didn't know I was pregnant" or "16 and pregnant." It'd make the show more lively.

GeoBQn, I am sure you will be able to hear the violin screeching from 50 miles away over the prairie. I agree that the oldest Bontrager gals seem a big princessy for JD, but on the other hand, they are farm girls, and know a vegetable when they see one, so maybe that appeals.

Since the Duggars will have to pass through Missouri to get to Iowa, there will be a mandatory stop at Silver Dollar City.

Don't the Bontrangers dance or at least move with their music? I recall this from one of the episodes (can't remember what season) and the dumb pop-up appeared reminding us for the umpteenth time that the Duggars don't dance. You don't think Boob would allow any of his speshul snowflakes court and marry someone who dances, do you? Dancing is the devil!

Gaaaaaah, that's 30 minutes from my house. Too close, much too close.

I think we'll have to pass the collection plate to get you a supply of industrial ear mufflers.

A bit OT, but a Bontrager interned at Polyface farms. Think Christian/fundie/libertarian/organic farmer.

I buy chicken from a guy who interned at Polyface! I wonder if they were there at the same time... We're friendly enough that I could ask but then he'd want to know why.

Just for the record, I am atheist/antiauthoritarian/pretty damn liberal/ traditional farmer and we get along just fine. Good food transcends a lot of boundaries!

Don't the Bontrangers dance or at least move with their music? I recall this from one of the episodes (can't remember what season) and the dumb pop-up appeared reminding us for the umpteenth time that the Duggars don't dance. You don't think Boob would allow any of his speshul snowflakes court and marry someone who dances, do you? Dancing is the devil!

I think that a lot of fundie lite churches justify dancing while singing as "worship." Mine did growing up. I could see this as something irksome, but not a deal breaker, like how my dad feels when my husband doesn't make coffee strong enough. Technically blasphemous, but not worth ruining an otherwise good match over.

I think that a lot of fundie lite churches justify dancing while singing as "worship." Mine did growing up. I could see this as something irksome, but not a deal breaker, like how my dad feels when my husband doesn't make coffee strong enough. Technically blasphemous, but not worth ruining an otherwise good match over.

I don't know. Boob seems to be set on the whole "NO DANCING" thing. I think that could be a deal breaker unless the one who dances agrees to stop dancing. Forever. Because dancing makes people look at your private areas and makes people think about sex and there is no sex unless you're married and then you call it SWEET SWEET FELLOWSHIP. Otherwise, Jesus will hate you and you'll burn in hell with all the Godless, Dancing Sinners. Because that's what Jesus told Boob because Boob is speshul. He converted Mullet from a sinful cheerleader (who wore bikinis when she mowed the yard and made the married neighbors look at her) to a baby making machine with a clown car uterus.

I don't know. Boob seems to be set on the whole "NO DANCING" thing. I think that could be a deal breaker unless the one who dances agrees to stop dancing. Forever. Because dancing makes people look at your private areas and makes people think about sex and there is no sex unless you're married and then you call it SWEET SWEET FELLOWSHIP. Otherwise, Jesus will hate you and you'll burn in hell with all the Godless, Dancing Sinners. Because that's what Jesus told Boob because Boob is speshul. He converted Mullet from a sinful cheerleader (who wore bikinis when she mowed the yard and made the married neighbors look at her) to a baby making machine with a clown car uterus.

Right. Well, I meant I could see him forbidding the couple from dancing, but I don't think he would totally nix the Bontragers as inlaws because of their stance on dancing. I think the Duggars really do want to marry off their kids, for their own reputation if not for their kids' happiness (though I do think they want their kids to be happy). I can't see them being that petty, although I expect we would see some face time from Michelle and the daughter explaining how they've mysteriously been convicted not to dance.

Speaking of Duggar road trips--the giant Conservative-palooza convention, CPAC, is in DC next week: http://conservative.org/cpac/2013/

Assorted Duggars have attended before-- if Josh wants to be a politician he's going to to want to be there.

So keep your eyes peeled for another excuse for Josh to play hooky from work.

Right. Well, I meant I could see him forbidding the couple from dancing, but I don't think he would totally nix the Bontragers as inlaws because of their stance on dancing. I think the Duggars really do want to marry off their kids, for their own reputation if not for their kids' happiness (though I do think they want their kids to be happy). I can't see them being that petty, although I expect we would see some face time from Michelle and the daughter explaining how they've mysteriously been convicted not to dance.

Or if they "purpose" not to dance!

Or if they "purpose" not to dance!

True. The Lord could lay it on their hearts that they shouldn't dance anymore. That would ensure they could have sweet, sweet fellowship with a Duggar. (I need to go throw up now.)

And for those of us not in Iowa, we can go to Richmond in June to catch their keynote speech at a Homeskool Convention: http://heav.org/registration-2012/

But, dang it--their "marriage retreat" later this month in Arkansas is already full up: http://www.fortrock.org/events/spring-marriage-retreat/

Note that its no kids allowed, except for nursing babies. Fend for yourselves that weekend, howler monkeys.

So we won't get to watch them cuddling around the campfire! :roll:

Considering the fact that Labour day has its roots in the labour unions, I'm surprised so many people support it. Oh wait for people that work/go to school (schools here start the week before) its a day off, silly me.

• 1 month later...

The Bontragers have posted a flyer for their Labor Day celebration: bontragersingers.blogspot.com/ advertising that they will be taking up a "Freewill Offering for the Duggar Family" in exchange for screechy violin music from the Howlers. I would loooove to know how much the Duggars take in at events like this.

In other news, the 2 eldest Bontrager girls were allowed to drive with a couple of girlfriends to attend a wedding in South Dakota, and stay in a hotel along the way. Do you think the J'Slaves would be allowed to do that without "adult" chaperones or brothers in tow?

I don't think the question is so much whether they'd be allowed, which I think they would as long as all 4 of them were there, so much as it's whether or not they have any friends that aren't family friends. While they have friends, they seem to just be the people their age from other mega-families that the Duggars associate with. There would be no reason for them to travel alone, because Michelle and Jim Bob et al would also be invited. Which I think is stifling in its own way.

I hope the Bontrager gals road trip included adult beverages and racy tv shows back at the hotel!

Speaking of Duggar road trips--the giant Conservative-palooza convention, CPAC, is in DC next week: http://conservative.org/cpac/2013/

Assorted Duggars have attended before-- if Josh wants to be a politician he's going to to want to be there.

So keep your eyes peeled for another excuse for Josh to play hooky from work.

I read CPAC as CRAP and thought, well, at least "The Duggars Go to Crap" is an episode theme we haven't seen much of before... :whistle:

ETA: Although there was the episode where Anna gave birth on the toilet. :obscene-tolietpush:

Archived