IGNORED

The Duggar Homes

homeschoolmomma1

Question- If the Duggars floor is heated- is it very cold upstairs? Like old farm houses?

Depends. The house I live in has heated floors but it is also hooked up to steam radiators upstairs to keep the bedrooms warm. It also depends on the construction of the house. If the house is well insulated then the warmth from the floors can heat the top part of the house. Its the whole heat rises and cold air sinks thing. The house I live in has rastra walls that help keep the heat in during the cold desert nights.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, I bet its one of those flimsy houses that feels like it will fall down if you slam a door & not well insulated.

I must say there are few things nicer than a slate floor with underfloor heating.

Yeah, I bet its one of those flimsy houses that feels like it will fall down if you slam a door & not well insulated.

I must say there are few things nicer than a slate floor with underfloor heating.

They had the house insulated with the Spray Foam Insulation. That was one of their faux field trips where Michelle made them all pronounce words after she pronounced it in her stupid baby voice. I don't remember what VSE this was, but I do remember the spray foam insulation and the stupid field trip.

They had the house insulated with the Spray Foam Insulation. That was one of their faux field trips where Michelle made them all pronounce words after she pronounced it in her stupid baby voice. I don't remember what VSE this was, but I do remember the spray foam insulation and the stupid field trip.

It may have been 16 Children and Moving In? I remember it, too.

Can someone clarify the chronology for their homes - I thought that they'd sold their original home and had to move into a rental that was slated for demo before the TTH was finally finished. Which house did Michelle have her laundry "breakdown" in?

They certainly have enough room and a long enough growing season that they could pull off tomatoes (natural sauce for that chickenetti!), potatoes, cukes (pickles!) etc. Like others I kill houseplants regularly, but have had successful gardens.

Heating of the house - I would have thought they`d have forced air gas or oil but I`m not sure what`s common in that area.

Can someone clarify the chronology for their homes - I thought that they'd sold their original home and had to move into a rental that was slated for demo before the TTH was finally finished. Which house did Michelle have her laundry "breakdown" in?

They certainly have enough room and a long enough growing season that they could pull off tomatoes (natural sauce for that chickenetti!), potatoes, cukes (pickles!) etc. Like others I kill houseplants regularly, but have had successful gardens.

Heating of the house - I would have thought they`d have forced air gas or oil but I`m not sure what`s common in that area.

It just annoys me that they don't even try a garden. I mean, if you homeschool, isn't that a good way to learn cooking and science (even crazy fundified science?) And for a family relies on God, isn't that the ultimate miracle? That food literally just builds itself up from the ground with minimal input from us? I'm not a Christian and I find it inspiring and fascinating!

There priorities are just so skewed - they think four square and violins are worth their time, but actually learning to provide for their enormous families is just too much bother.

Another killer of plants here! I can't grow anything indoors and have made many failed attempts at flowers outside. However, I think it takes a special talent to STOP watermelons from growing. We have a compost heap made of lawn clippings and vegetable peels. Every summer watermelons appear all over it and we have to go to great efforts to keep them in a confined area instead of taking over the whole yard. Broccoli and caulifower also grew well in the compost heap but this did require me to throw a packet of seeds in. (So much effort! :lol: ) Not sure the Duggars would recognise Broccoli or Cauli as foods though.

I'm so jealous at how much land they have! With all that land, I'd plant tons of vegetables. My family still has a acre of land, which we garden, but if we had more acres...

Yea, gardening isn't rocket science. You water and weed. Even a 10 year old knows how to do that.

With the design of the stairs and catwalk in the TTH, there is no way it's going to be licensed as a home for vulnerable youth and/or persons with developmental disabilities. That thing cannot be safe. The best bet would be some kind of Gothard journey-type institution, the idea of which just makes me shudder.

Let me look in 20 and counting...

before the kids- they lived in a fixer-upper for 2 years

(1984-1986?)

Then moved to the carlot house- Josh, Jana, John-David, Jill and Jessa lived there (1986-March 1993)***This must have been the house she had a breakdown in***

Johnson Road home- Jinger, Joseph, Josiah, Joy-Anna, Jedidiah, Jeremiah, Jason, James, Justin

(March 1993- March 2005)

Rental House- Jackson and Johannah (March 2005 -January 2006)

TTH- Jennifer, Jordyn-Grace Makiya and Josie (January 2006-present)

*This of course is based on Michelle's memory.

On a side note I am really pissed off that Michelle goes on and on in the book about the way she packs (filing boxes, labeling boxes, labeling index cards etc) more than she talks about her children. In fact after awhile she just names the kids and doesn't tell any childhood 'story' about them. grrrr

Another killer of plants here! I can't grow anything indoors and have made many failed attempts at flowers outside. However, I think it takes a special talent to STOP watermelons from growing. We have a compost heap made of lawn clippings and vegetable peels. Every summer watermelons appear all over it and we have to go to great efforts to keep them in a confined area instead of taking over the whole yard. Broccoli and caulifower also grew well in the compost heap but this did require me to throw a packet of seeds in. (So much effort! :lol: ) Not sure the Duggars would recognise Broccoli or Cauli as foods though.

Only if a tin can suddenly appeared around the plant. "Oh look, God blessed us with some food! What's the rest of this stuff?"

Let me look in 20 and counting...

before the kids- they lived in a fixer-upper for 2 years

(1984-1986?)

Then moved to the carlot house- Josh, Jana, John-David, Jill and Jessa lived there (1986-March 1993)***This must have been the house she had a breakdown in***

Johnson Road home- Jinger, Joseph, Josiah, Joy-Anna, Jedidiah, Jeremiah, Jason, James, Justin

(March 1993- March 2005)

Rental House- Jackson and Johannah (March 2005 -January 2006)

TTH- Jennifer, Jordyn-Grace Makiya and Josie (January 2006-present)

*This of course is based on Michelle's memory.

On a side note I am really pissed off that Michelle goes on and on in the book about the way she packs (filing boxes, labeling boxes, labeling index cards etc) more than she talks about her children. In fact after awhile she just names the kids and doesn't tell any childhood 'story' about them. grrrr

Thanks - and two of their former homes have been torn down?

For the amount they consume, and given they have a freakin' commercial kitchen with dishwasher etc, why don't these people use real dishes and recycle?

Thanks - and two of their former homes have been torn down?

For the amount they consume, and given they have a freakin' commercial kitchen with dishwasher etc, why don't these people use real dishes and recycle?

I think it has already been established in this thread and in general that they're lazy as hell. So, so lazy.

ummm I think the Rental and Johnson road have been torn down. Don't know about the other 2. They even say in the 20 and counting book they use paper plates grrrr However they have been doing that since the early days if you watch the specials

They have all those children and don't have a garden? That IS lazy. And foolish. And a waste of money.

They have all those children and don't have a garden? That IS lazy. And foolish. And a waste of money.

It was a topic this past season.

They apparently had "some people" come over and help the kids set up vegetable gardens. But according to Jason, these people stopped coming by and the gardens were more or less abandoned by the family. He, James and Justin were shown trying to revive and salvage what they could on their own. I found it one of the sadder moments of the entire series. A clear “toss ‘em under the bus†moment courtesy of TLC.

It was a topic this past season.

They apparently had "some people" come over and help the kids set up vegetable gardens. But according to Jason, these people stopped coming by and the gardens were more or less abandoned by the family. He, James and Justin were shown trying to revive and salvage what they could on their own. I found it one of the sadder moments of the entire series. A clear “toss ‘em under the bus†moment courtesy of TLC.

The "some people" probably got fed up and effed off in frustration. No excuse for not even attempting a veggie patch; they have more than enough people to look after it.

While it wouldn't work as an orphanage (visual of Jordyn getting her head stuck in the railings), I could see it being a group home for troubled teens.

Isn't it already.

The "some people" probably got fed up and effed off in frustration. No excuse for not even attempting a veggie patch; they have more than enough people to look after it.

That's so ridiculous. I learned more about gardening in public school. I consider it tragic that boys their age don't know how to at least plant seeds.

I'm disabled and I started a container garden last year with no idea of what I was doing. We had peppers and herbs like you wouldn't believe! Not many tomatoes, but I just planted too late on those.

Those lazy asses could cut their food costs to nothing with a huge garden and freezing and canning. There are so many of them no one of them would have to do a lot of work on their own.

Well, at least the boys are trying to garden. Its sad that their friend stopped coming over and helping them.

If you want to garden but dont know a whole lot then check out http://sproutrobot.com/

Thanks for that! I want to start a garden but am extremely clueless.

I remember reading in "Belles on Their Toes" that their mother had their house torn down after they all grew up, because raising 12 children in it had just about destroyed it. And that was in a house with good parenting and domestic servants. I can't imagine that the tinker toy house won't be a disaster. I mean, it usually looks pretty gross as it is.

Archived