IGNORED

The nearly 16 year old Wizzy Arndt & her stuffed animal

0 kids n not countin

I wonder if there's a term for children that have left the nest for college or whatever and then returned? There's often a maturity difference between kids that leave and come back versus kids that never leave the nest (like the Arndts). Is there a term to distinguish an Arndt from a Just_Jane?

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I wonder if there's a term for children that have left the nest for college or whatever and then returned? There's often a maturity difference between kids that leave and come back versus kids that never leave the nest (like the Arndts). Is there a term to distinguish an Arndt from a Just_Jane?

Not sure about kids that never leave, but have heard the term "boomerang kids" for kids that had to return home for financial reasons particularly due to the bad economy.

Yes, kids returning after college is called boomeranging and I'd imagine most who do return see it as a temporary transition as they sort out their next stage of life in the workforce or perhaps to marriage.

The Arndt boys will never even get to experience that. Wizzie may have a shot of getting out through marriage as even Daddy Arndt may not want her hanging around into the next decade as her older brothers enter middle age.

It seems that The Arndt boys write about courting and marriage and their future lives (and its been in a few of their asinine videos too).

Its so cruel to encourage the continuing of these delusions. I can't imagine why the boys even believe it at this point.

The name "Wizzy" for Elizabeth is now making me cringe every time I read it. Are these people stuck in an eternal childhood or what?

It seems that The Arndt boys write about courting and marriage and their future lives (and its been in a few of their asinine videos too).

Its so cruel to encourage the continuing of these delusions. I can't imagine why the boys even believe it at this point.

I haven't seen their videos, but my guess is that they perpetually see it as happening "someday". They will get to 40, 50 years old and it will still be "someday", never realizing that that "someday" will never happen with their parent's hold on them.

The name "Wizzy" for Elizabeth is now making me cringe every time I read it. Are these people stuck in an eternal childhood or what?

Usual caveat that I quite see how people find the nickname weird given the rest of the weirdness, but I don't imagine childhood nicknames sticking around forever as unusual -- my parents still use a nickname from my babyhood and half my family (and I'm talking great aunts and uncles here) are known by some name that's definitely not the name on their birth certificate, often some variant (in my family's language) of 'little one'. Am I the only one?

Has Sarah Maxwell been introduced to the Arndts?

This has been speculated upon heaps. My personal opinion is that although Steve would approve of the insane sheltering of the Ardnts it wouldn't be enough to make him overlook the fact that they have made an idol of baseball and that Mama Ardnt wears not just pants but defrauding short shorts. He won't risk Sarah ending up with a headship who might take her to baseball games in shorts, and may even take photos and put them online. Steve would have a heart attack is Sarah's legs were online for the world to see.

It's a pity, cause I think Sarah and any random Ardnt manchild would probably make each other very happy.

Usual caveat that I quite see how people find the nickname weird given the rest of the weirdness, but I don't imagine childhood nicknames sticking around forever as unusual -- my parents still use a nickname from my babyhood and half my family (and I'm talking great aunts and uncles here) are known by some name that's definitely not the name on their birth certificate, often some variant (in my family's language) of 'little one'. Am I the only one?

Oh no, I don't think that is weird at all. We have loads of nicknames in our family too!

It's just...I dunno blogging using that name for her? It seems sort of infantilising. I have nicknames for both my brothers (who are 27 and 29 respectively) but I would always use their proper names online if I had to speak about them. Family nicknames belong in the family, not for public consumption.

So I've been watching their mind-numbingly boring youtube videos. Just watched this one:

Apparently some of the older kids went to public school for 2 years while the mother was busy with the family business. They did well academically and socially, but they all prefer homeschool....

My concern is -- why has Wizzy not started posting herself? I know some of the little boys are too young, but if Seth can post, surely she might want to as well...

No, you're not. In my family we have grown adults, parents and even grandparents, who are known as Chub, Stink, Chigger, and Lolly. As children we were taught to call them Uncle Chub, Uncle Stink, Aunt Lolly, etc. Sounds completely loony to outsiders, but it's what passes as normal for us. ;)

This has been speculated upon heaps. My personal opinion is that although Steve would approve of the insane sheltering of the Ardnts it wouldn't be enough to make him overlook the fact that they have made an idol of baseball and that Mama Ardnt wears not just pants but defrauding short shorts. He won't risk Sarah ending up with a headship who might take her to baseball games in shorts, and may even take photos and put them online. Steve would have a heart attack is Sarah's legs were online for the world to see.

And therein lies the main problem for the Arndt offspring.

They are nutjob fundies for sure, but as fundies go, they are clearly living in their own private Idaho, and Mommy's near-daisy dukes are a symbol of that uniqueness. Even the worldly Duggar girls wouldn't be allowed near the Arndt boys for fear they'd lose all sense of decency and modesty. I think Joy Anna and Caleb would make a cute future couple, though. She'd probably think she’d died and gone to heaven being allowed to wear shorts and play softball and work out in normal gym clothes. And the boys do most of the baking!

It's a pity, cause I think Sarah and any random Ardnt manchild would probably make each other very happy.

Agreed on all points. Unfortunately.

And therein lies the main problem for the Arndt offspring.

They are nutjob fundies for sure, but as fundies go, they are clearly living in their own private Idaho, and Mommy's near-daisy dukes are a symbol of that uniqueness. Even the worldly Duggar girls wouldn't be allowed near the Arndt boys for fear they'd lose all sense of decency and modesty. I think Joy Anna and Caleb would make a cute future couple, though. She'd probably think she’d died and gone to heaven being allowed to wear shorts and play softball and work out in normal gym clothes. And the boys do most of the baking!

That's the thing!!! I think ALL of the Arndt boys seem quite kind and (with the exception of some Mommy-idolizing and other odds and ends) each would make a fairly good fundie spouse. They don't seem to think of women as inferior (or not TOO inferior as the case may be), they don't obsess over modesty and idols like sports, they seem fairly intelligent and were genuinely homeschooled as opposed to the SOTDRT, they are athletic and have jobs, they don't eschew "women's work" like Costco runs or baking, etc. FOR A FUNDIE (no pet fundies here), there are worse men out there, and yet every one of these is single.

Meanwhile, someone like David Waller has a spouse.

I know. Incredible.

And while I find Mommy and Daddy very creepy, I agree the boys all seem good humored and likable. But they are also damaged goods at this point.

I know. Incredible.

And while I find Mommy and Daddy very creepy, I agree the boys all seem good humored and likable. But they are also damaged goods at this point.

Do you mean because of their age, or because their parents are "liberal" (ha)? If age, do you think that's true for men? I've never been able to determine if a man's age really matters in fundie-land (it obviously matters MORE with women, but I wonder if it's still something they take into consideration as an asset or detriment).

Do you mean because of their age, or because their parents are "liberal" (ha)? If age, do you think that's true for men? I've never been able to determine if a man's age really matters in fundie-land (it obviously matters MORE with women, but I wonder if it's still something they take into consideration as an asset or detriment).

The parents aren't liberal by any standard definition of the word. I think Mommy Arndt rejects the notion of modesty because she's an exhibitionist at heart and Daddy pushes the baseball because he always fantasized about playing major league ball. They're a couple of narcissists who have somehow mentally manipulated their kids into believing that God wants them to stay circling in their parents' orbits forever. And that's just cruel and selfish.

In one video Rick says they built the big house because he envisioned the sons all living in it with their wives and children. I don't buy it. I think they always intended their "FamTeam" to stay intact for as long as they both lived.

They are damaged because they've been infantilized to the point that they probably will never be able to function without their parents or worse yet, without each other.

My avatar is Little Edie of Grey Gardens who had the most fabulous, infamous codependent relationship with her mother. The Arndts have 14 Little Edies.

There's a movie here, I'm telling ya. Someone needs to find a way to move into that house under cover.

Wizzy's appearance and behavior doesn't shock me as much as the boys, tbh. It seems pretty standard for fundies to infantize and shelter their daughters more than their sons. While they want to shelter their sons too, it seems like a lot of fundie families push boys to get a job and house and find someone to marry by the time they turn 30.

I wonder if any of the other fundie families gossip about the Arndts because none of the kids have married and left yet and because of how mommy A. dresses?

Wizzy's appearance and behavior doesn't shock me as much as the boys, tbh. It seems pretty standard for fundies to infantize and shelter their daughters more than their sons. While they want to shelter their sons too, it seems like a lot of fundie families push boys to get a job and house and find someone to marry by the time they turn 30.

I wonder if any of the other fundie families gossip about the Arndts because none of the kids have married and left yet and because of how mommy A. dresses?

I doubt that most fundies gossip about the Arndts except maybe a rare passing comment. The Arndt family doesn't seem to run in any of the same circles as most of the other fundies I've seen. If they do, it seems like they would be in the far periphery. They are an anomaly even among fundies.

That's the thing!!! I think ALL of the Arndt boys seem quite kind and (with the exception of some Mommy-idolizing and other odds and ends) each would make a fairly good fundie spouse. They don't seem to think of women as inferior (or not TOO inferior as the case may be), they don't obsess over modesty and idols like sports, they seem fairly intelligent and were genuinely homeschooled as opposed to the SOTDRT, they are athletic and have jobs, they don't eschew "women's work" like Costco runs or baking, etc. FOR A FUNDIE (no pet fundies here), there are worse men out there, and yet every one of these is single.

Aww I actually think it would be great if Sarah could get an Arndt boy! Maybe if Steve thought he could control them enough....but they are close with each other so he probably realises they wouldn't leave their family and cut ties to live on his compound.

I really wish Sarah the best in life. I feel so sad for her when I read her posts. I agree an Arndt son would be a nice catch.

I also think the former fiancé to the Mawell son would be suitable for an Arndt son. I think her name was Elizabeth Brontgner ( sp?).

Archived