IGNORED

The nearly 16 year old Wizzy Arndt & her stuffed animal

0 kids n not countin

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm guilty of sleeping with a stuffed animal but it's quite another thing to carry one around with you and constantly play with it when you're in your teens!

I think you may be thinking of the Heppner family, who also had a lot of boys in their teens and 20s. One of them was engaged in their Kids by the Dozen episode.

Nope, was definitely the Arndts. It was on the Kids By The Dozen several years ago.

Nope, was definitely the Arndts. It was on the Kids By The Dozen several years ago.

There was no courting or engagement. The Arndts were getting ready for their big baseball game and there was a young lady that came to the house and was helping out and trying to flirt with one of the boys, so there was the appearance that maybe somebody might have a girlfriend.

I'm with those who think that Mary would look more her age if she dressed more modern and took out the damn braids. All she needs is an update. But with her current look, I'm expecting her to bust out with a "Come play with me....forever and ever and ever..."

Does anyone else remember that incredibly creepy poster they put out that had Mary's floating torso in the center with both parents' and all brothers' floating torsos ranged around her staring at her? That doesn't haunt anyone else's nightmares?

My 13 year old daughters have stuffed animals and they keep them set up in their bedroom but there is no way in hell that they would allow me to take a photo of them holding one, let alone pose for it.

Such a bizarre family. All the kids have hyphenated first names, then a middle name which really is a third name. Mom Cathy dresses rather provocatively for a fundie. You have to wonder what this does to her sons when their contact with females is so limited. Their religion seems to be baseball as much as Christianity. There was one photo titled waiting in line at Six Flags. Surely when they go to places like that they are exposed to regular people and all kinds of dress (or lack there of). Freud could have enough to write a whole book on just this family. Someday one or more of them is going to crack big time and we'll hear it on the news.

Here's what Luke - who was then about 25 - had to say about the occasion of Wizzy's 13th birthday.

Entitled "My Baby Wizzie"

One unexpected side effect of having Mary around is that she has helped me keep a high standard in what kind of girl I would be interested in. See, I realize that whoever I would marry would be several years older than my sister, and I would love to be able to encourage Wizzy to look up to her, where I could confidently say, “Go ahead and dress like she does, act like she does, watch what she watches,†and so on.

So I am really praying that if I get married, God will provide someone who would be a perfect role model for Wizzy, where I can safely tell her, “There! Be just like her.†I have got to believe there are such women out there! There may not necessarily be an abundance of them currently, but all I need is one.

And, in the interim, my goal is to try to personally live up to the standard of the kind of guy that I would recommend for Wizzy. That is a challenge. I love Wizzy so much, and I only want the best for her. Whoever I would marry would also be somebody’s little girl, somebody’s sister. She would also be a treasure, and I need to work hard to be worthy of her, just like I would expect a guy to meet a high standard in order to deserve Wizzy.

We’re still a ways off from all of that, thankfully. She is only 13, so we needn’t get too worried just yet. But bottom line… she’s my Number One girl. The Arndt Family has never been the same after January 5 of 1997. I’m so blessed to have such a wonderful little sister. Even though she may technically be a teenager now, I have a feeling that she is going to still be my baby Wizzy for quite some time.

That's some creepy shit.

And needless to say, Wizzie's perfect role model sister-in-law has yet to fall from the sky.

That IS some creepy shit alright. God help her. All those fathers..

I have always looked super young for my age. I still get carded. (For buying COLD PILLS no less. Rrrr.)

I don't think I'd worry too much about liking stuffed animals at age 13... people outgrow different things at different ages... at 13 I was still posing with stuffed animals for photos (in the privacy of my own room) but I think that was the age where I outgrew actually playing with them. I know most of my friends outgrew them at age 11 or so....

And as far as clothing, shoot, no one told me that I should dress a certain way to look like an adult. I think the idea just never occurred to my parents.

So, if this was a normal family, I wouldn't worry about it too much. However, with the rest of the things I've heard about this family.... downright creepy.

(I still sleep with a stuffed animal... I can't sleep without holding SOMETHING. Only one person ever implied that, at 23, this was a problem. But I think she's used to me by now.)

I have always looked super young for my age. I still get carded. (For buying COLD PILLS no less. Rrrr.)

I don't think I'd worry too much about liking stuffed animals at age 13... people outgrow different things at different ages... at 13 I was still posing with stuffed animals for photos (in the privacy of my own room) but I think that was the age where I outgrew actually playing with them. I know most of my friends outgrew them at age 11 or so....

And as far as clothing, shoot, no one told me that I should dress a certain way to look like an adult. I think the idea just never occurred to my parents.

So, if this was a normal family, I wouldn't worry about it too much. However, with the rest of the things I've heard about this family.... downright creepy.

(I still sleep with a stuffed animal... I can't sleep without holding SOMETHING. Only one person ever implied that, at 23, this was a problem. But I think she's used to me by now.)

I agree with you. It is likely, considering the families isolation, that she does not know how to dress age appropriate. Also, she is the only daughter and I can't imagine that helps.

As for looking young, I was carded at 21 at the outdoor shopping area in my hometown. Anyone one under 14 has to be accompanied by an adult after 8pm on the weekends. lol.

I'm with those who think that Mary would look more her age if she dressed more modern and took out the damn braids. All she needs is an update. But with her current look, I'm expecting her to bust out with a "Come play with me....forever and ever and ever..."

Does anyone else remember that incredibly creepy poster they put out that had Mary's floating torso in the center with both parents' and all brothers' floating torsos ranged around her staring at her? That doesn't haunt anyone else's nightmares?

What?! That sounds intriguing yet horrific.

• 1 month later...

Oh, I have looked and looked for this thing, but I cannot find it. It was like a publicity thing for Famteam, the kind of job that would be a full-page ad in a magazine. Maybe the Arndt's got some feedback on how unsettling the image really was and pulled it from their website.

Well if she was 13 when the photo was taken, it explains why her hands are so disproportionately large. Hands and feet tend to be the first things that grow, the rest of the body comes next. Or the nose. Then the rest. My hands and feet blew up when I was 10 (I was an early bloomer), they're proportional to the rest of my body since I stopped growing... At 13...

The stuffed animal is still weird, though. And why would you visit the Outer Banks in the fall, when its cold enough to wear a sweater? It's boring as hell! Of course, fewer immodestly dressed tourons, but still boring! Take it from someone who grew up there...

This is a family I'm not familiar with really (yet) ~ but the girl is 13 in the photo? She doesn't look odd to me then.. not every thirteen year old looks like a grown woman ~ some still look very young, and some still ARE very young. My own daughter, almost sixteen, looked a lot like this girl at that age.

...I wear my own hair in two braids sometimes, and I'm thirty five. :P

Granted, I haven't read up on this family so there may be lots of odd things for me to find yet.. but I just don't think that a girl at thirteen looking like, well, a kid!, is all that strange.

The girl in the photo doesn't look like a teenager to me, but that's probably just because by the time I was 13, I was 5'7 and 34DD. :lol:

It's funny actually, because at 15 I was frequently mistaken for 18; now at 26 I'm more likely to be told I don't look a day above 19; probably because I still dress like a bit of a goth (yay, thank God for my mother's youthful-looking genes!) You do appreciate this more once you're in your late 20s.

The girl in the photo doesn't look like a teenager to me, but that's probably just because by the time I was 13, I was 5'7 and 34DD. :lol:

It's funny actually, because at 15 I was frequently mistaken for 18; now at 26 I'm more likely to be told I don't look a day above 19; probably because I still dress like a bit of a goth (yay, thank God for my mother's youthful-looking genes!) You do appreciate this more once you're in your late 20s.

Moodygirl, same. I shot up quickly in middle school and had issues with people inappropriately commenting on my chest size at that age! I don't know if I'd rather that, or everyone think I was younger like "Wizzy"... Either way, I'd rather NEVER go back to those awkward years!

My 13 year old daughters have stuffed animals and they keep them set up in their bedroom but there is no way in hell that they would allow me to take a photo of them holding one, let alone pose for it.

Exactly.

Mary Elizabeth has no opportunity to allow or not allow such a photo. All those brothers & mummy and daddy encourage the cute and the babyish and she has no opportunity to learn that there is an alternative.

Plenty of girls & women like stuffed toys and wearing their hair in plaits and that's fine. What isn't fine with this poor kid is that she has no choice, she has no opportunity to learn about society, peers or anything remotely normal.

Speaking of the Fam, here's a shot of one of the boys' bedrooms posted today. Can anyone even imagine being 32 years old and sharing a bunk with your 10 year old brother? I won't comment on the bedding and window treatments, although I'm sure the penguins think they're cute.

IMG_20121205_205524.jpg

Holy Moly, I saw their cheaper by the Dozen special(s) or was it only one? and I never knew they had a long running tv show. imdb.co said like 52 episodes? that is nuts. What channel does it air on? They have episodes on youtube and they are boring! they showed this girl a year ago and she was starting high school (homeschooled though) and was still in braids. hmmm

Do all the kids live at home? They seem like they are in their 30s

Speaking of the Fam, here's a shot of one of the boys' bedrooms posted today. Can anyone even imagine being 32 years old and sharing a bunk with your 10 year old brother? I won't comment on the bedding and window treatments, although I'm sure the penguins think they're cute.

IMG_20121205_205524.jpg

This makes me sad.

It makes me think of what was said in one of the other threads, how some of these families will deliberately underfeed their children so they don't reach puberty as quickly as they might and don't grow out of their clothes so fast.

Do all the kids live at home? They seem like they are in their 30s

They range from 9 to 32. All sons, except for Wizzy who will be 16 in a few weeks. As far as anyone knows, none have ever dated and no one seems the slightest bit inclined to make a run for it.

Archived