IGNORED

Sister Wives

Alecto

Good luck selling it depending on the prices in the area especially if its in a neighborhood that's still building. I stand to lose about 40 grand on the house I'm trying to sell. It's nicer and bigger than most with some great upgrades but none of that matters when the builder drops the base price on new homes by 25 grand. All those McMansions will put them back into bankruptcy when the tlc money dries up

Fixed that for you.

Maybe one of you remembers better than I--in the Utah house, didn't Meri and her one child have as much space, or more than, Christine or Janelle and their kids? I don't remember the division exactly, but I thought it was odd that Meri and Mariah had so much more room than Janelle and her six or Christine and her six.

• Replies 646
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to hear how she explains her need for French doors is due to her infertility.

It's obvious, Feberin ... those french doors are necessary because she WISHED she could have heard all eight of her dream children slam them every day!

Could the huge house for Meri be part of the deal with the purchase of the lot? Years ago my parents built a home in a subdivision that had four or five model homes from which to choose. Each house then had more choices, such as flipping the plan, countertops, flooring, carpet, the 3 or 4 bedroom version, etc. There were rules for what could be built in that area and a small house or one with a floor plan that was not offered in one of the models would not have been acceptable. In buying the four lots the Browns may be limited to building a home that the developers offer. That being said, Meri does seem to be wanting high end finishes and a house as large as possible. However, I think part of what is happening is that the plans are limited and in order to get X, you must have Y. Too bad she can't just build a three bedroom house with a huge living room for family gatherings since she seems to like to host them.

I kind of think this is a power issue. In their culture having many children is the norm and large families are desirable. Meri wanted a large family but was unable to have more children. Janelle and Christine were more "successful" in that area. Meri has "first wife" status, but that is all she has. Janelle, the wife with whom Meri has the most conflict, is the second wife but has six children AND had a higher paying job. Meri had one child, a job she loved but probably did not pay well, and just as much money as the other wives. Meri benefited from Janelle. Janelle and Christine had a more equitable relationship since Janelle earned the money and Christine provided child care for her. The house in Utah was already built and no choices had to be made in size, number of bedrooms, and so on; each wife had her own similar wing. Now there are choices to be made and Janelle is more vocal about who gets what and why because building a new house is expensive. Janelle is being more practical and logical than Meri, especially since no one has a job, other than the TLC gig. I think Meri is sensitive about her lack of children and feels a smaller house would be punishment for her infertility. Meri can only assert herselft by having a huge house since she can't do it by having a large family and she has no job.

Do any of the Browns have a plan for when the TLC gravy train ends? Are they really earning enough from the show to pay for these houses after the cameras leave? I can't imagine that the jewelry they sell online is making a fortune for them. The show will end one of these days and then what? Welfare for Janelle, Christine, and Robyn will not pay the mortgage or utilities. Why can't Janelle do what she did in Utah? Tweak the business plan a little to accomodate the lack of polygamist families, but surely, some Nevadans want an organized pantry or closet system. What are they doing, besides TLC, to earn money?

"What are they doing, besides TLC, to earn money?"

Kody said they all work for LIV International, and the LIV website is promoting a "meet the Browns" event. This company sells snake oil supplements for weight loss, cleanses, etc. and I'm sure, although I have absolutely no evidence, that it's some sort of pyramid scheme. For all I know the Browns may own it. The wives are not very good examples for health supplements (and I say this as an overweight and out-of-shape person, not to snark on them, but I wouldn't expect somebody to buy supplements from me, either.) The board chairman supposedly has run investment and mortgage companies, so maybe that's how they got the mortgages.

They certainly aren't going to make any money in the jewelry business. They don't know how to design jewelry--just had an idea to make two Ss into a W and hired someone to execute it--and I'm sure they don't have any experience in manufacturing, either. And what they do have is butt ugly and overpriced. They probably have investors in this, also, and it wouldn't surprise me if this also turns into a pyramid, with "strong women" given an "opportunity" to work from their homes as distributors.

IMO, there is no way TLC is financing everything (including now college?) that this family spends, and no way they are living the lives they do without shady creative financing.

The four houses looke like they have to come off the same base floor plan. So the living areas in all four houses will be the same. It's the optional rooms that they're haggling over and in Meri's case she seems to wanting almost all the option. On the floor plan the wretched wetbar isn't even in the living room. It's in the nook area of the kitchen! The wetbar option seems to go with the hobby room option so more floorspace for Meri seems the true end goal.

The four houses looke like they have to come off the same base floor plan. So the living areas in all four houses will be the same. It's the optional rooms that they're haggling over and in Meri's case she seems to wanting almost all the option. On the floor plan the wretched wetbar isn't even in the living room. It's in the nook area of the kitchen! The wetbar option seems to go with the hobby room option so more floorspace for Meri seems the true end goal.

So, wait... it's effectively a second sink?

I don't get why a wetbar option has to go with a hobby room option. Has anyone actually explained that part?

The only sense I can make of the options is that the builder had a set of plans (with options) approved by the city and the buyers have to pick from that. The hobby room option plan includes the wetbar. So he didn't get a plan approved that had a wetbar and no hobby room. They'd have to go through the approval process to build a house in that conformation. How difficult that would be in their jurisdiction, I have no idea but it would definitely add time and money.

So, wait... it's effectively a second sink?

I don't get why a wetbar option has to go with a hobby room option. Has anyone actually explained that part?

Well, other than I would personally need cocktails in order to make crafts and such, I can't think of a reason why either.

Well, other than I would personally need cocktails in order to make crafts and such, I can't think of a reason why either.

Having a sink for washing paintbrushes would be nice.

Having a sink for washing paintbrushes would be nice.

My paint brushes will have to settle for a mason jar :lol: These people are nuts. What the hell are they going to do when the TLC gravy train dries up?

My paint brushes will have to settle for a mason jar :lol: These people are nuts. What the hell are they going to do when the TLC gravy train dries up?

Ha! All great uses.

"What are they doing, besides TLC, to earn money?"

Kody said they all work for LIV International, and the LIV website is promoting a "meet the Browns" event. This company sells snake oil supplements for weight loss, cleanses, etc. and I'm sure, although I have absolutely no evidence, that it's some sort of pyramid scheme. For all I know the Browns may own it. The wives are not very good examples for health supplements (and I say this as an overweight and out-of-shape person, not to snark on them, but I wouldn't expect somebody to buy supplements from me, either.) The board chairman supposedly has run investment and mortgage companies, so maybe that's how they got the mortgages.

They certainly aren't going to make any money in the jewelry business. They don't know how to design jewelry--just had an idea to make two Ss into a W and hired someone to execute it--and I'm sure they don't have any experience in manufacturing, either. And what they do have is butt ugly and overpriced. They probably have investors in this, also, and it wouldn't surprise me if this also turns into a pyramid, with "strong women" given an "opportunity" to work from their homes as distributors.

IMO, there is no way TLC is financing everything (including now college?) that this family spends, and no way they are living the lives they do without shady creative financing.

When I read their jewelry web page, my reaction was "strong women" and the sister wives is conflicting. With, maybe the exception of Janelle; none of the sister wives are "strong". How can they sell that brand when they do not demonstrate it at all?

I just watched the most recent episode and heard Meri talking about the stupid French Doors in the previews for the next episode. WTF is wrong with this woman???? I used to like her and sympathize with her but I'm done. She's just being a brat. I'm really sorry that you live a shitty life in an oppressive lifestyle but can you really not see how insane your demands are?

Also...I have heard this one time too many...how the hell is sharing kitchens abusive?!?! ABUSIVE? Really? Please...please explain. :roll:

...end rant. Thanks for listening.

I just watched the most recent episode and heard Meri talking about the stupid French Doors in the previews for the next episode. WTF is wrong with this woman???? I used to like her and sympathize with her but I'm done. She's just being a brat. I'm really sorry that you live a shitty life in an oppressive lifestyle but can you really not see how insane your demands are?

Also...I have heard this one time too many...how the hell is sharing kitchens abusive?!?! ABUSIVE? Really? Please...please explain. :roll:

...end rant. Thanks for listening.

Abusive? Me thinks they do not know the meaning of the word.

(I made a Monty Python reference, an Austen reference, and now a Princess Bride reference today on the forum. My day is complete)

(I made a Monty Python reference, an Austen reference, and now a Princess Bride reference today on the forum. My day is complete)

:clap: :clap: :clap:

If anything, Meri's recent whinefest has given the lie to the idea that this is ONE family and that the women are moms to all of the kids. Clearly she doesn't give a rat's patoutie about the other kids--if they were your kids and they were going without what they need, not to mention four or five in or soon to go to college, would you be whining about French doors and wet bars? This is one guy with one wife and three mistresses who maintains, such as it is, four separate marriages and households--the only collaboration is using Janelle for funds and Christine, whom he apparently doesn't even like, as a babysitter. Meri and Robyn contribute nothing to the other women or "their" other 12 kids. If I were Janelle or Christine and actually believed that this arrangement is set to last through eternity, I'd be looking to get unsealed as quickly as possible.

I hate sharing a kitchen with my mother in law with a passion. Maybe I can convince my partner it's abusive and he'll build me my very own McMansion (with a wet bar and eleventy French doors). Somehow I don't think he'll buy it.

If anything, Meri's recent whinefest has given the lie to the idea that this is ONE family and that the women are moms to all of the kids. Clearly she doesn't give a rat's patoutie about the other kids--if they were your kids and they were going without what they need, not to mention four or five in or soon to go to college, would you be whining about French doors and wet bars? This is one guy with one wife and three mistresses who maintains, such as it is, four separate marriages and households--the only collaboration is using Janelle for funds and Christine, whom he apparently doesn't even like, as a babysitter. Meri and Robyn contribute nothing to the other women or "their" other 12 kids. If I were Janelle or Christine and actually believed that this arrangement is set to last through eternity, I'd be looking to get unsealed as quickly as possible.

Why do you say that? (bolded)

I've just gotten back into the show so I'm sure I've missed a lot!

Maybe slightly off-topic, but how is it that it seems they are only allowed to build one specific type of house +/- a room or two?

Is that normal in the US, that if you buy land someone already has a contract to build on it? I don't get it, I think that would have me whining as well :?

Also I don't know if it's be discussed, but does anyone know if the Brown-women have educations? Janelle must have some kind of degree, but the others?

Maybe slightly off-topic, but how is it that it seems they are only allowed to build one specific type of house +/- a room or two?

Is that normal in the US, that if you buy land someone already has a contract to build on it? I don't get it, I think that would have me whining as well :?

Also I don't know if it's be discussed, but does anyone know if the Brown-women have educations? Janelle must have some kind of degree, but the others?

They are buying from a developer. Anyone can buy a piece of land, hire a contractor and build whatever house they want (subject to zoning laws). When you buy from a developer, they have purchased a large track of land (many houses), had a plans drawn, received zoning approval, etc. They purchaser then has to choose from their house plans. In my area, we call them "track homes", as they all look pretty much alike. This process generally keeps costs lower because the houses are built in bulk.

Why do you say that? (bolded) (That apparently Kody doesn't like Christine)

I said that because he's made humiliating statements in front of her, on national television, about things about her that turned him off. And she has said more than once that she thinks he doesn't even want to be with her and that she feels like a single mother.

I feel bad for Christine. She has endured a lot of humiliation from Kody and they don't ever seem happy with each other. When I first started watching the show, Christine was in labor with Truely and Kody was over at Robyn's house kissing her. Douchebag. Robyn and Meri are the two happiest with this arrangement and they are bffs conveniently enough. I think janelle and Christine are the work horses.

Archived