IGNORED

Shows that should have had more/less seasons

Athena

I don't remember that. I haven't seen all of the later episodes. Tbh I couldn't see her with either Luke or Christopher - preferred Luke but still couldn't see him with Lorelei. I thought Rory got annoying later on.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rome. Oh how I would love to see Titus Pullo on another adventure. He and Vorenus were the best bromance I ever saw on television.

QFT 10 times over!! Love, love "Rome". I wonder if they'll ever get to that Rome movie they talked about.

While I enjoyed "Sex and the City" it went on for 2 seasons too long, me thinks.

"Freaks and Geeks" was awesome. What the network did with that show borders on criminal. That show was ahead of its time; I could've seen it aired on AMC or FX in 2007 instead of ABC (was it the net. that originally aired it?) in 1998.

Call me stupid, but there was a show on FOX that I started watching that ended up being canned after 4 or 5 episodes only. It was back in 2006 or so, called "Reunion". It was kind of corny but I got caught up in the "whodunnit??" and wished that the network would've at least showed all the 15 ep. so that I'd finally know who killed the girl that they were all at the wake in the 1st ep.

It seems nowadays that the PTBs are sooo quick to pull the plug on shows that have low ratings (the 4 networks being the most guilty of this). Some shows need time to get their footing.

Boston Legal could have had a couple more seasons, I think. The combination of William Shatner and James Spader was very interesting, amusing, and always kept me guessing. The show was clever and never boring. I remember they also had some interesting guests.

Freaks and Geeks was originally on NBC. I also remember Reunion on FOX. That show wasn't great, but I did like the mystery aspect and it reminded of Cold Case. All of the episodes that were filmed aired in other countries. ABC had a show similar to Reunion a couple of years back. It was called My Generation which was show about an unseen documentary filmmaker who followed a group of high school seniors in 2000 and then in 2010 she visted them for an update documentary. The show was cheesy and the characters were a bit cartoonish, but it did have potential. ABC canned it after 2 episodes.

• 4 weeks later...

The following shows all deserved more seasons, and I've let the networks know this is why I refuse to watch a new show until it's been on 2-3 seasons. Not worth my investment in time just to be disappointed:

Dark Skies - Eric Close....Great show! CBS replaced it with crap. Sci-Fi should have picked it up.

Pushing Daisies - loved it! Quirky and funny, bright colors and gorgeous sets.

Journyman - I had a feeling the network would cancel it. Great show, but let's replace it with more crap anyway.

Secret Circle - end on a cliffhanger and don't renew....way to go CW.

Magnificent 7 - hot guys dressed as cowboys, horses, old west. Great stories....I've watched these over and over.

GCB - This show was hilarious! I'm Christian and didn't take offense to this at all despite what the 2% moms were claiming....

Miracles - great show starring Skeet Ulrich. I never even knew it was on, it lasted for such a short time....

And, my favorite of all time - Jericho (TV series). Great storylines right off the bat. The ratings sucked because the idiots running CBS decided to split the first season into 2 with a bad show in the middle, barely advertised its return, changed the time from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. when it did return, and then were surprised that most people weren't aware it HAD returned. Then, after lots of threats to boycott the network and hundreds of pounds of nuts sent to CBS Corporate, they relented and orderd an "abbreviated" season of 7 episodes to wrap it up and show the fans CBS cares. No they don't.....this show had at least 2-3 seasons worth of stories to tell, if not more.

Now the shows that really needed to end sooner:

Desperate Housewives - I skipped the last 2-3 seasons because it was all the same crap. I did watch the series finale which wrapped it up nicely.

ER - again...stopped watching the last 2-3 years.

Lost - same story here. It was on too late and nothing ever got explained and I just got bored.

Freaks and Geeks owns this topic.

Also gone too soon:

Popular

Undeclared

Titus

Grounded for Life

Homefront

Miss Guided

Glee needs to be put of it's misery.

I'm still mad that they cancelled Jericho after the second season with a cliffhanger. The show has tons of fans and could've been successful. Even if it was set in stone that there was no option but to cancel, at least wrap it up to the point where there are no big questions hanging in the air. :evil:

More Seasons:

"Angel" -- the fifth season was my favorite, especially after the disaster that was the fourth season; the Spike and Angel chemistry was so much fun to watch

"Pushing Daisies" -- sadly, another victim of the writers' strike; the premise was amazing, and it was a cracked fairy tale that I really enjoyed

Less Seasons:

"Buffy the Vampire Slayer" -- my absolute favorite show ever, but it really lost its charm after the fifth season, the sixth and seventh weren't very good at all but I did like the musical episode

They just started filming new episode of Arrested Development for that Netflix deal.

Haha I know! I can hardly wait! I rewatched all the episodes to get myself ready for it!

Should have been around longer:

"Freeks & Geeks" indeed. I've always adored Seth Rogen & Jason Segel. And James Franco is just plain yummy.

"Undeclared" was chock full of good times from Jason Segel as the nutty sometimes ex-boyfriend, and a hilarious cast all-around. I also loved the various guest appearances also (Adam Sandler, the Nuge, Fred Willard, etc.) Nice Judd Apatow joint.

"Arrested Development" - Loved Lucille 2, the Hot Cops, Job's inept magician performances, and Ann Hog, as well as pretty much everything else about the show. Everytime I watched an episode I noticed something delightfully different. They did a nice of job of wrapping it up when the show was prematurely canceled, but I count the moments until the new episodes debut on Netflix!

"My So-Called Life", of course. Loved Ricky and Rayanne.

"Get Real" with Anne Hathaway. It was terribly sweet and clever, and promptly canceled, of course. I had to double check on IMDB to be sure that show wasn't just a dream.

"Double Trouble" starring Katey Sagal's younger twin sisters. They were identical but with contrasting, sassy personalities. Plus they danced frequently. It may have been cheesy as hell, but my 6-year-old self adored it!

Jumped the Shark

Buffy - Andrew, Warren, and Jonathan as the enemies... ugh. And the death of my favorite character... extra bonus ugh.

Roseanne - Killing off Dan, the new Becky (though I love Sarah Chalke) the whole season as part of her book... hella stupid end for an overall fun and snarkalicious show.

The X-Files - What was the point without Mulder & Scully?

Ok, so I suck at watching tv. Keeping up with Downton Abbey was my biggest tv accomplishment in the past decade. That aside, the only non-news show I watch regularly is The Simpsons and oh dear god, this week's episode was awful. Turned it off halfway through.

It's been borderline for a few seasons now, but I'm pretty sure it's in its death throes. Oh, and Absolutely Fabulous should never have had its mini comeback. I wanted to laugh, I tried to laugh, but there was minimal laughter.

Less seasons - Charmed - hated the last season.

More seasons - Blood Ties - hot vampire, hot cop.

Moonlight - hot vampire (theme developing ......)

I have mixed feelings about the return of Arrested Development. It seemed to end exactly where it should.

Shows that went on too long:

Glee (The first season was brilliant. After that? NSM)

Grounded For Life (It went off the rails when it turned into the Lily and Brad show.)

Will and Grace (It was great at first , but then everyone involved looked like they wanted to be somewhere else during the last two seasons)

The Drew Carey Show (At times it was insanely inventive. By the last two seasons it was as self-indulgent as Roseann's final season)

News Radio (They should have pulled the plug when they lost Phil Hartman. -or- They should have gone with William Shatner as his replacement. I am sure Jon Lovitz is a nice guy and a talented actor, but he was all wrong for the role.)

Dharma & Greg (It went from a sparkly little comedy of manners to something overwrought and hard to watch.)

Night Court (A slight cream puff of an ensemble show that started to feel like they were pulling characters and plot points out of a hat to create new episodes.)

Designing Women (It should have ended with the departure of most of the original cast.)

Gone too soon:

Outsourced (A misunderstood sweetheart of a show that evolved into a communal effort to create roles and afford the viewing public better understanding of Indian culture.)

Frank's Place (a gorgeous ensemble series that had an excellent cast and some of the sharpest writing on network TV)

My World and Welcome To It (William Windom made a nice stand-in for James Thurber in this clever gem of a show. I caught it on a cheap knockoff of vintage TV shows and was disappointed that it got such a short run.)

Kath & Kim (The US version was gentler in tone than the Aussie original. The cast and writers seemed to find their way just as the network pulled the plug.)

Knights of Prosperity (another show that might have found its level and an audience given the chance)

Married to the Kellys (This well-acted, well written show was a gentle break from the cartoonish fare that seemed to dominate ABC's comedy lineup at the time. There was nothing innovative about the fish out of water tale of a New Yorker who married a midwestern girl from a large, close-knit family; but somehow it made for compelling television for everyone lucky enough to catch it.)

Ended when they should have...

Caroline in the City

WKRP in Cincinnatti

That 70s' Show

Due South

Soap

Murphy Brown

Love, Sidney

Taxi

Arrested Development

Dear John

Still Standing

My Name is Earl

Wings

Sports Night

Cybill

Malcolm in the Middle

Barney Miler

The Odd Couple

Becker

I'd agree with you about My Name Is Earl if they had resolved the paternity storyline before the show was canceled. That kind of sucked.

I wish My Name is Earl had had more seasons, but I'm kind of an abashed sucker for Greg Garcia. I'm glad I've got Raising Hope now to tide me over.

I'm of the opinion that Supernatural should have ended after probably season 2, but only because they changed the format quite a bit. If they had never introduced the God stuff I think it could have been great. That being said, I've watched the whole thing and continue to, because sometimes it's super fun. There are some weird, pretend giggly homophobic undertones that make me uncomfortable, but I have a few shows that I watch (How I Met Your Mother, in particular) where I have to turn off that concern to enjoy them.

ETA Black Books! Has anyone seen that show? It's my favorite of all time. Should have lasted forever.

B5SnowDog, I wanted to see that resolved, too but my goodness, that last season was all over the place. I got the feeling they were running out of creative steam and in the midst of reinventing it yet again when NBC pulled the plug.

I share everyone's Greg Garcia and Raising Hope love.

WRT Supernatural, I know a lot of peopel who adore that show, but the sexual politics have always put me off, so it isn't just you, freejoytoo.

It really gets on my wick how they keep calling each other feminine things such as 'Deanna' or 'sweetheart' as an insult, or laugh if they get beaten up a 'chick'. There also seems to be a sort of anger towards any kind of strong, sexual woman.

B5SnowDog, I wanted to see that resolved, too but my goodness, that last season was all over the place. I got the feeling they were running out of creative steam and in the midst of reinventing it yet again when NBC pulled the plug.

I've noticed that when I watch the reruns on TBS, I usually watch all of the first and second season shows but skip quite a few episodes from seasons three and four.

I think my favorite episodes are the ones with Earl and his dad, especially "No Heads and a Duffel Bag". I absolutely love what Earl's dad tells him at the end.

Shows that should have had more:

Arrested Development

Sports Night

Studio 60 on Sunset

Shows that should have had less:

Frasier

Friends

Everybody Loves Raymond

Archived