IGNORED

Shows that should have had more/less seasons

Athena

I'm old enough to still wish WKRP had had another four to ten seasons... :P

Just within the last ten or fifteen years, I've prematurely lamented Sports Night, Action, Boomtown, Karen Sisco, and various aforementioneds like Veronica Mars, Pushing Daisies, and (now in the sort-of category) Arrested. Maybe Awake, although I don't know how much longer that premise would've supported a show. Is it too soon to preemptively add Community to this list? I suppose I should be happy it's lasted this long.

Shows that should've ended sooner:

Desperate Housewives (had its moments after the fast-forward, but quickly reverted to tired hackwork)

X-Files (Season 7 sounds about right)

24 (terrific for 1.5 seasons and then...)

Heroes (has any show gone from blockbuster to footnote so quickly?)

One or more of Seth McFarlane's empire (just concentrate on making one really good show at a time, Seth)

I'm torn on The Simpsons and Supernatural because I love the casts and/or they still knock out decent episodes periodically. And while I can't disagree on ANTM in principle, every so often there's a cracktastic ep like the US-vs.-UK music video one from last season and I'm very, very happy it's still in my life.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm old enough to still wish WKRP had had another four to ten seasons... :P

Me, too, I loved that show! :laughing-rolling:

Now I'll be humming the theme song all day, but that's all right. :lol:

That 70s Show should have ended at least by season 7. Season 8 was horrible and they ruined some characters.

Gilmore Girls last season was horrible too. And i agree that the 'lost daughter' thing should never have happened.

7th heaven got bad after the season that Mary left. It was actually *good* that they had a 'rebellious' child, and them sending her away to keep things from getting worse was fine too, but then the next season when she came back, ugh. And it just got more and more soap-operaish as the season rolled on.

Family matters after it switched networks and got a new mom (not to mention losing Grandma, the aunt, and the little sister in previous seasons)

ER lasted WAY too long.

Roseanne was a few seasons too long

As for longer:

Anyone remember Homefront from the early 90s? 2 Seasons was not long enough and it was a great show.

That 70s Show should have ended at least by season 7. Season 8 was horrible and they ruined some characters.

Gilmore Girls last season was horrible too. And i agree that the 'lost daughter' thing should never have happened.

7th heaven got bad after the season that Mary left. It was actually *good* that they had a 'rebellious' child, and them sending her away to keep things from getting worse was fine too, but then the next season when she came back, ugh. And it just got more and more soap-operaish as the season rolled on.

Family matters after it switched networks and got a new mom (not to mention losing Grandma, the aunt, and the little sister in previous seasons)

ER lasted WAY too long.

As for longer:

Anyone remember Homefront from the early 90s? 2 Seasons was not long enough and it was a great show.

I loved that show (it's like historical fiction for tv)!!! Even though they've gone on to other things, I still think of Kyle Chandler and Tammy Lauren as their Homefront characters. Plus it took about 2 seasons of Mad Men before I stopped seeing Al Khan infiltrating Sterling Cooper.

I loved that show (it's like historical fiction for tv)!!! Even though they've gone on to other things, I still think of Kyle Chandler and Tammy Lauren as their Homefront characters. Plus it took about 2 seasons of Mad Men before I stopped seeing Al Khan infiltrating Sterling Cooper.

Yes!

Also loving that there will be more Arrested Development (although the original run ended well).

I wish there would be more pre-Serenity Firefly also.

Lost went on way too long. Should have ended during season 5 at the latest.

I still refuse to watch the CW because they cancelled Veronica Mars.

I wish Rollergirls and Greg the Bunny had second seasons.

M*A*S*H is another show that went on too long, especially after Radar left (hey, the topic didn't say Modern Shows).

I'd forgotten that I loved Veronica Mars, but it was the best! It should have been much longer. I also watched this show called Tru Calling that was cancelled after 1 or maybe 2 seasons and I loved it so much it made me sad when it was cancelled. It had such good potential.

Lost went on way too long. Should have ended during season 5 at the latest.

I'm okay with how long Lost ran. I just wish it had ended better. I mean, I actually felt satisfied by the resolution on an emotional level, but God was I mad when we got to the last twenty minutes and I realized they weren't gonna say shit about why Walt was special or what the deal was with the Hurley bird or any of the other 20,000 mysteries of the island that were ultimately pointless.

Gah.

I'm okay with how long Lost ran. I just wish it had ended better. I mean, I actually felt satisfied by the resolution on an emotional level, but God was I mad when we got to the last twenty minutes and I realized they weren't gonna say shit about why Walt was special or what the deal was with the Hurley bird or any of the other 20,000 mysteries of the island that were ultimately pointless.

Gah.

That's why I think it should have ended after season five: I hated season six. Bad pacing, bad plot.

ER lasted WAY too long.

As for longer:

I think the main reason the last season of the Gilmore Girls was horrible was because the Palladinos weren't the show runners and in charge of writing.

I'd forgotten that I loved Veronica Mars, but it was the best! It should have been much longer. I also watched this show called Tru Calling that was cancelled after 1 or maybe 2 seasons and I loved it so much it made me sad when it was cancelled. It had such good potential.

I also loved Tru Calling. The show was weak at times, but it had potential.

VM got canceled because they fucked up the last season. Had they written it properly, it'd be a shame about the cancelation, but as it is I'm just glad they didn't have a chance to ruin it more.

Firefly is an easy "duh", but of course Fox screwed them over, remember?

As far as shows that have gone on too long goes, I'm just going to say it and hope nobody gets too upset: The Simpsons. I liked it just fine, and I still don't hate it, but... eh, there is such a thing as too much of that show.

I think the main reason the last season of the Gilmore Girls was horrible was because the Palladinos weren't the show runners and in charge of writing.

*grumbles about Logan*

VM got canceled because they fucked up the last season. Had they written it properly, it'd be a shame about the cancelation, but as it is I'm just glad they didn't have a chance to ruin it more.

Firefly is an easy "duh", but of course Fox screwed them over, remember?

As far as shows that have gone on too long goes, I'm just going to say it and hope nobody gets too upset: The Simpsons. I liked it just fine, and I still don't hate it, but... eh, there is such a thing as too much of that show.

I agree with you on The Simpsons. I still like the show a lot, but it does need to end. A lot of fans on IMDB have said that the show has gone on too long. Some of them wish that they show ended in 2007 before the movie.

I agree with you on The Simpsons. I still like the show a lot, but it does need to end. A lot of fans on IMDB have said that the show has gone on too long. Some of them wish that they show ended in 2007 before the movie.

Aww I liked the movie. Especially when they went to Alaska.

Gah.

I sobbed like a baby through the last episode, but at the very end I was furious. I hated the ending. Just hated it.

Yes! Rome! I miss that show. Another one is "Freaks and Geeks" which was on sometime in the 90s. It was about a bunch of high school kids in the 70s and I thought it had great writing. (Of course, I was a high school student myself at the time, so who knows! :lol: ) It got cancelled too quickly, maybe after only one season or so.

I totally agree with "Freaks and Geeks"! I guess we were the only ones watching. I was in University at the time and thought it was great. I bet if it was on NBC would give 2 seasons at least. I think the same about Awake. It definitely needed more seasons. At least the final episode seemed like they went back and changed it so that it was all just a dream. Otherwise, there would have been too many questions left unanswered.

I really liked "The Office" US version a lot in the beginning, but I thought show should have ended when Michael Scott left. It was really quite crappy after that.

19 Kids and Counting should have stopped at 17 Kids and Counting

Degrassi...I loved the hell out of that show and was PISSED when they killed JT off! Now its just like "what the fuck is this?"

7th Heaven kinda went meh for me when they introduced SamVid (and why is it when TV shows add a new baby to the mix, its mostly always a boy?)

I started watching House in 2008 and stopped in 2009.

The original Star Trek only lasted a season and a half. When I watched it in real time, it was amazing. It really should have lasted a few more years. It was one of the few shows at the time that had an integrated cast, had women in positions of power and the gadgets were great. Hello, smart phone decades later.

TEAM STEVE FOR LIFE. And weird puppet Blue is like the second Highlander movie, I just refuse to admit it exists.

Every Star Trek series should have gone on longer. Except for Voyager, which went on longer than the Roman Empire, or at least it felt like it. Ugh.

I would totally have watched a few more seasons of Oz. Or more episodes. Why does HBO do such weirdly short seasons? GOT totally needs AT LEAST two more episodes per season.

Guest Anonymous
TEAM STEVE FOR LIFE. And weird puppet Blue is like the second Highlander movie, I just refuse to admit it exists.

We really need a like button.

I totally didn't think my Blues Clues suggestion would catch on. Steve should know he is loved.

And yeah... the puppet was merely a figment of our imaginations.

Do you think the person that came up with that was high or just plain stupid?

Am I the only one who thought Blue was a boy at first?

We really need a like button.

I totally didn't think my Blues Clues suggestion would catch on. Steve should know he is loved.

And yeah... the puppet was merely a figment of our imaginations.

Do you think the person that came up with that was high or just plain stupid?

Am I the only one who thought Blue was a boy at first?

My ex friend and I were tharpists together and the girl we worked with was obsessed with Blue. We talked a lot about how Blue was a girl even though she was blue and various other cartoon related oddities.

Archived