IGNORED

JinJer: When Shorts Attack!

Destiny

A very happy St Patrick's day from a wet and windy Ireland :tw_grin:

For me, the definitive catholic cardigan is navy blue. Worn by every nun (non habit), minister of the Eucharist and teacher I ever had. I just cannot bring myself to wear it 

• Replies 544
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I definitely sympathized with the chef during the honeymoon episode, and here's why: She had a job to do. She was getting paid to give a professional cooking lesson. If the food turned out awful because JinJer burned it or whatever, it would reflect poorly on her and her place of business. Furthermore, if one of the lovebirds managed to burn themselves or cut themselves with a knife, it would be something she had to deal with. So I 100% agree with her snapping at them. If JinJer couldn't handle acting professional for an hour, they shouldn't have had TLC pay for a professional cooking lesson. They could have easily snuggled on a park bench somewhere for free. :my_rolleyes:

Also: I think the mustard cardigan is actually cute, but only on certain people. I think it goes beautifully with Jill and Jessa's skin tones, but doesn't look as good on Jinger or Jana. I'm a fox in black or red, but definitely cannot rock mustard yellow! :pb_lol:

If Jinger couldn't act professional? I'm afraid Jinger doesn't have a choice in the matter. She was very much on the receiving end of Jeremy's, uh, affections. If her headship wants to canoodle, she can't refuse.

I was far more disturbed by Jinger's reaction to Jeremy using the word 'aphrodisiac' than I was by anything else in the episode.  Yes, I would have been irritated as hell by people groping each other during my cooking lesson, but I feel like a lot of that was scripted.  

When Jeremy talked about the garlic being an aphrodesiac, it annoyed me out that Jinger tried to pretend she knew what that word meant.  It reminded me of a person who doesn't speak the language, or a child trying to pretend they know what the other speaker is saying, but want to continue to be part of the conversation any way.  The fact (IMO) that a 20 something native speaker of English without a brain injury or developmental disability didn't know that word bums me out.  

1 hour ago, DaniLouisiana said:

Bigfoot had a teacher who was an "Orangeman"...we are of French and Irish descent on my side, English, Irish, Native American on hubs. Said Teacher wore orange on St. Pat's. Bigfoot threw a Fit! Walked out of class after calling Teacher, "a damned Orangeman". I was proud and thought the teacher should have too, that my kid knew what an Orangeman is/was especially since its not covered in CA schools now.

I'm or Irish descent, from three distinct waves of immigration to the US, all decidedly Protestant (a mix of Quaker and Anglican). I never gave it much thought until I moved to Maryland. Growing up in North Carolina, a lot of people were of mixed English, Irish, and Scottish descent, and most people I knew were Protestant. We would acknowledge the home of out ancestors, but it wasn't a huge deal, and we definitely did not make a big production out of St. Patrick's Day. The local parades were low key, secular, non-partisan, and all inclusive. When I moved to Baltimore a few years ago, I was shocked by the overt political and religious nature of the St. Patrick's Day festivities, particularly the annual parade entry protesting the UK. I fully support the people of Northern Ireland if they want to leave the UK and reunify with the Republic, but the tone of the political statements here are very confrontational and always makes me uneasy, particularly because it's coming for Irish-Americans who are several generations removed from Ireland and have likely never been there. I  would never wear orange to the parade, but I don't wear green either.

Ok,  So assuming the Kitchen scene was not completely scripted, (which is probably was),  the chef was rude.  While warning them to be careful is certainly within her duties,  her reaction was out of proportion to a little mild PDA.  They were not having an over the top make out session with arms and legs flailing as they were groping each other for Jesus. 

They were standing fairly still, and jeremy had his arm around Jinger and kissed her on the cheek or maybe Neck, and hugged her.  That was it. 

The Chef,  may I remind you,  was hired by them to host them for cooking.  When you are hired by someone,  you don't start out being rude like that.  If someone ever spoke to me like that, I would leave.  It was uncalled for and a simple reminder, using some humor, to be careful in the kitchen around open flames and sharp things is all that was needed.  I saw the scene, and Jeremy and Jinger were not in any way in danger.  They were a safe distance from the stove top.  They were not near sharp items.  Chef was wrong, if it was a real situation, which of course, it was not. 

And Jinger's comment was only mildly sarcastic.  People get upset because Jinger is passive, and then when she dares show a spark of 'normal' reaction to someone calling her out,  she gets slammed.  Even if the chef behaved appropriately,  it is a pretty normal human response to be a smidge defensive, especially when it is done so publicly. 

But,  as I said,  and as I think most of us know,  the scene was set up.  Because later when they were eating the food with the chef,  they were all just fine with each other.  There was not a hint of tension.  And had that Chef's behavior been genuine as it was portrayed, I just think there would have been some residual resentment there between them later on. 

I think the whole point of that scene is again to reinforce their crazy belief that the passion that they feel for one another after having been united in godly marriage is far above the "lust" that the rest of the godless heathens who defile the marriage bed feel.    We are all supposed to look at that scene and be so impressed that they have such a healthy and Righteous sexual desire for each other as proof that purity, courtship etc is something to be emulated.

1 hour ago, calimojo said:

Ok,  So assuming the Kitchen scene was not completely scripted, (which is probably was),  the chef was rude.  While warning them to be careful is certainly within her duties,  her reaction was out of proportion to a little mild PDA.  They were not having an over the top make out session with arms and legs flailing as they were groping each other for Jesus. 

I'd like to use my time and space travel buttons.

I wonder how the chef would have handled Jim Bob and Michelle on the put put golf course when they double dated with Jessa and Ben?

:output_eeMbjt:

:brainbleach::brainbleach::brainbleach:

On 3/16/2017 at 11:37 AM, ViolaSebastian said:

Honestly, sometimes the sexism and adherence to gender roles in these Duggar daughter threads is as bad as in fundamentalism. The endless talk about Jill's hair, or the narrative that Jessa is a surprisingly good mother, given how "controlling" or "demanding" she is. In a man, the qualities she has would be "leadership qualities."  And are we really saying that a woman who is, for example, a CEO or high powered attorney can't be a good mother? Because we sure as heck wouldn't say a man with the same qualities would be a poor father. Are we ourselves adhering to gender roles when we demand that a woman demonstrate sweetness, softness, and flexibility in her standards in order to be deemed a "good" mother?

You are just unpacking so much sexist crap and I love it.

1 hour ago, calimojo said:

The Chef,  may I remind you,  was hired by them to host them for cooking.  When you are hired by someone,  you don't start out being rude like that.  If someone ever spoke to me like that, I would leave.  It was uncalled for and a simple reminder, using some humor, to be careful in the kitchen around open flames and sharp things is all that was needed.  I saw the scene, and Jeremy and Jinger were not in any way in danger.  They were a safe distance from the stove top.  They were not near sharp items.  Chef was wrong, if it was a real situation, which of course, it was not. 

A thousand times this. She was hired by them to host a cooking date, and was not making that an enjoyable experience by snapping at them. who wants to be snapped at on a date by the person you hired to entertain you? PLUS jeremy was then selling it like "oh that was a great experience for newlyweds", so i assume this is a service she does regularly and is marketing to newlyweds in particular.  what newlywed, watching this, would be like 'OH SIGN ME UP FOR THAT. I'd love to have a chef rebuke me for touching my honey on a date!' not a great marketing choice by the chef, imo. 

I'm pretty sure the chef was hired by TLC, not Jeremy. She was, IMO, within her rights to say something if she thought they might get a little bit too randy, but agree that she was a bit more snippy than needed to be. 

1 hour ago, picklepizzas said:

A thousand times this. She was hired by them to host a cooking date, and was not making that an enjoyable experience by snapping at them. who wants to be snapped at on a date by the person you hired to entertain you? PLUS jeremy was then selling it like "oh that was a great experience for newlyweds", so i assume this is a service she does regularly and is marketing to newlyweds in particular.  what newlywed, watching this, would be like 'OH SIGN ME UP FOR THAT. I'd love to have a chef rebuke me for touching my honey on a date!' not a great marketing choice by the chef, imo. 

and that goes to show that any normal couple would have it out of their system probably by then. 

I can't imagine going on a cooking show or having a chef teach me anything on my honeymoon 

perhaps next time try something away from TLC - like swimming on a beach - wait they can't show skin so that shut's it down 

Shorts attacking= an atomic wedgie.

1 hour ago, nst said:

and that goes to show that any normal couple would have it out of their system probably by then. 

I can't imagine going on a cooking show or having a chef teach me anything on my honeymoon 

perhaps next time try something away from TLC - like swimming on a beach - wait they can't show skin so that shut's it down 

I'd watch them swimming on the beach- I'd love to see Jinger swimming in a modesty suit.

I wonder if the Duggars actually know how to swim????

I think they do know how to swim,  Remember in the episode with the Bates when they jumped in the water.  I think it was the same episode where Michelle waterskied and the blocked her knees

3 hours ago, marmalade said:

I'm pretty sure the chef was hired by TLC, not Jeremy. She was, IMO, within her rights to say something if she thought they might get a little bit too randy, but agree that she was a bit more snippy than needed to be. 

I agree she was within her rights to speak up, but the way she did it was wrong.  Using humor or just reminding them that care must be taken in the kitchen so they best focus on the food, or something.  She was over the top,  but I think it was because she was coached to be that way for dramatic effect.  They wanted to create this image of Jeremy and Jinger being soooooo in loooovvveeee that they couldn't keep their hands off of each other because their are special Christ loving horny honeymooners ( that should be a thread count name). 

And, even if she had warned them once and had to do it again, she could have said it more professionally than what she did.

I think TLC wanted drama and made the chef look bitchy. Sure it was tone but I doubt it was a one shot deal. 

We only saw a couple of edited minutes from a segment that must have taken a few hours to film.  TLC may have taken all the PDA and cobbled it together to make it seem like he was all over her the entire time while that probably was not the case.  I find the outrage here about their behavior and the chefs behavior to be over the top. 

Hubby is one of the most laid-back people I know, hell pretty much anything goes.  Until you step foot in his kitchen at work. Then it's his domain his rules. There's no room for screwing around, or being distracted. Heat, grease, knives, chemicals. Anything less than compliance is a huge liability and he's not risking all the years of hard work for someone to be cutesy. Was probably scripted by TLC, but that chef was mild compared to many that I've met. 

I have a black, a kelly green, and a navy blue cardigan.

10 hours ago, calimojo said:

I think they do know how to swim,  Remember in the episode with the Bates when they jumped in the water.  I think it was the same episode where Michelle water-skied and the blocked her knees

Michelle also went to public school, kissed before marriage and used birth control. This doesn't mean her children can do the same, just because good ol' Shelley had fun on a pair of waterskiies.

When the poster asked if the Duggars could swim, they probably meant actually swim, as in breaststroke, freestyle, backstroke, butterfly? Were they taught how to swim? Or do they just know how to doggy paddle enough so they don't drown?

17 hours ago, DaniLouisiana said:

Bigfoot had a teacher who was an "Orangeman"...we are of French and Irish descent on my side, English, Irish, Native American on hubs. Said Teacher wore orange on St. Pat's. Bigfoot threw a Fit! Walked out of class after calling Teacher, "a damned Orangeman". I was proud and thought the teacher should have too, that my kid knew what an Orangeman is/was especially since its not covered in CA schools now.

What's wrong with orangemen? 

11 minutes ago, BlessaYourHeart said:

What's wrong with orangemen? 

If "orangeman" refers to Orange Order, than a lot. 

18 hours ago, DaniLouisiana said:

I don't find that story funny, or anything to be particularly proud of, to be honest.  It is one thing to be aware of the history of a long drawn out and bloody ethno-religious conflict; it is another to insult a teacher (was she  deliberately wearing orange) and use slurs.  Did "Bigfoot" actually know what the Orange Order was and how loaded an insult it is?  Did the teacher?

Some Irish people are indeed Protestant.  Very few of them ever belonged to the Orange Order.  

Those who actually lived through the Troubles don't take them lightly.  The paramilitary organisations on both sides conducted a reign of terror over many years - and the general population suffered.

There is a difference between having pride in your national heritage - and glorifying a bloody conflict by encouraging the religious intolerance of the past.  

In that preview. Is Jeremy trying to be funny for the camera, or does he really think a potato peeler is what you use to shred cheese? They both act so extremely clueless. 

I had to Google Orangeman and yeah, I would not be proud that my kid said that to a teacher. I don't know how many times I have forgotten to wear green and I would not be impressed by some child calling me names.  Why would the teacher be proud of a kid throwing a fit and name calling? 

• choralcrusader8613 locked this topic

Archived