IGNORED

Counting On Season 2 - Part 5

Buzzard

22 minutes ago, montyollie said:

THIS!  I have long hair for two reasons -- I can't be bothered with the time and money it takes to get it cut every few weeks, and secondly, it's SO EASY to just pull back.  I don't "do" it.  If I had shorter hair, I would have to do it. 

I finally cut bangs back into my hair...the parted in the middle look was starting to age me...and I don't like messing with just that. Tomorrow morning, I'll wet my big round brush and do something with the bangs before I head off to school (I'm a teacher now). The rest of the hair will still be in a knot. My reasons for long hair are..I live in the desert...at 110 degrees, ANY hair on the back of my neck is HOT. I'm too broke to pay for upkeep for a shorter style, long I can handle mostly by myself. Hubs trims the back and I cut the front. And last, but not least, my mom was on my @$$ from the time I turned 30 to cut it. I'm 52 now and STILL refuse to get it cut short. 

• Replies 609
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe I'm posting about a young woman's hair, but - 

I noticed Jessa's receding hairline in that episode, too, probably because I have the same issue.   When I had long hair I didn't pull it up into a bun all that often because my hairline wasn't something I really wanted to show off. 

So here's Jessa, not only exposing her hairline to the group at the resto, but to a tv audience as well!! I mean, would you have done that with bald patches?

I actually gave her props when I saw that. She's not as vain as I thought.

It must have been a hot and busy day so up went the hair and we could all see the bald spot - and she didn't seem to care.  This attitude I like. Good on you, Jessa Seewald. 

1 minute ago, feministxtian said:

I finally cut bangs back into my hair...the parted in the middle look was starting to age me...and I don't like messing with just that. Tomorrow morning, I'll wet my big round brush and do something with the bangs before I head off to school (I'm a teacher now).

<-- 44 here.  And I come and go with bangs.  I drive for a living, so the wispies blowing around in my eyes get on my last nerve.  Every so often I get bangs (probably every three years for about a year each time) and then I remember what a PAIN in the butt bangs are.  I have several cowlicks and several atrocious drivers' licence photos to prove bangs are a bad idea on me.  I just finished growing them out.  I'm Canadian and we have SUPER hot humid summers and stupid cold winters.  I seldom drive with the windows down... It's usually AC or heat. 

3 minutes ago, montyollie said:

<-- 44 here.  And I come and go with bangs.  I drive for a living, so the wispies blowing around in my eyes get on my last nerve.  Every so often I get bangs (probably every three years for about a year each time) and then I remember what a PAIN in the butt bangs are.  I have several cowlicks and several atrocious drivers' licence photos to prove bangs are a bad idea on me.  I just finished growing them out.  I'm Canadian and we have SUPER hot humid summers and stupid cold winters.  I seldom drive with the windows down... It's usually AC or heat. 

I live in Las Vegas...not humid here but HOT AS HELL! The winters can get right chilly, especially when you figure we have highs of 110F in the summer and highs of less than 50F in the winter...so most of the year the windows are up and either the a/c or heat is on in the car. The upside is my commute is maybe 30 minutes each way...no freeway driving. 

4 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I've had long hair most of my life. Once I figured out it didn't need to be shampooed every day, and a pony-tail or topknot worked well, I was good to go. For me, the advantage of long hair was that I didn't have to take the time to style it every morning...very important when you're trying to get kids up and out the door to make it to school by 7:30 (and mom was the chauffeur). Now, I still wear it long and my "summer do" here in the desert is pulled up off my neck. Winter, I will actually attempt to do something with it. 

I have long hair too, and I am in my 50's.  What I meant by my post was that it seems as if she spends a significant amount of time on her hair.  We have lots of video of her from before she was married to current times, showing her working the hair.  My hair is thick and wavy and when short it is more work to style, and I wash it about every 2-3 days depending on the weather or if I have been to the gym or not. 

I was actually impressed to see her wearing it pulled back in NYC as we know it was super hot.  Her hairline isn't flattering the way she had it, but there are ways she could whip it back that wouldn't accentuate that so much.  I wonder if Jill has the same hairline and that is why she wears a wide headband when she wants to pull her hair back from her face? 

There are lots of cute braided styles she could do, that would take just a few minutes each day and still look very feminine, if that is her desire. 

I have non-attractive hairline too ;) And I never was pregnant, it's just family thing. But I'm still trying with black radish products and it helps.

But if we are talking about Duggar girls hair I have to say I believe that best calling card is clean shoes, clean nails, nice hair. 

When Jill was single, next courting and engaged she always had beautiful hair, she made braids, she wore them loose, but her hair was healthy and shining. She also wore nicer clothes. 

After wedding and conceiving *bum* she is not trying anymore. Sloppy clothes, messy hair. I know, pregnancy and having a toddler can be tough, but hey, even now Jill's back home with all sister-aunts, she looks like after finding a man she doesn't care anymore. Also when I see her on photos - 90% chance she's making her crazy eyes face. And i found out that even on talking heads she always sounds the same - robotic voice, slowly speaking, face without emotions. 

To be clear, what I want to say is: in my opinion Jill is only wife and mother, and she is not even trying to do something for herself, and her wide headband is a huge "I don't care how I look anymore" sign. And I think this is really sad.

I have non-attractive hairline too [emoji6] And I never was pregnant, it's just family thing. But I'm still trying with black radish products and it helps.
But if we are talking about Duggar girls hair I have to say I believe that best calling card is clean shoes, clean nails, nice hair. 
When Jill was single, next courting and engaged she always had beautiful hair, she made braids, she wore them loose, but her hair was healthy and shining. She also wore nicer clothes. 
After wedding and conceiving *bum* she is not trying anymore. Sloppy clothes, messy hair. I know, pregnancy and having a toddler can be tough, but hey, even now Jill's back home with all sister-aunts, she looks like after finding a man she doesn't care anymore. Also when I see her on photos - 90% chance she's making her crazy eyes face. And i found out that even on talking heads she always sounds the same - robotic voice, slowly speaking, face without emotions. 
To be clear, what I want to say is: in my opinion Jill is only wife and mother, and she is not even trying to do something for herself, and her wide headband is a huge "I don't care how I look anymore" sign. And I think this is really sad.

I get the impression from Jill that she never cared much how she looked in the first place, and only curled her hair and the like because she'd been taught that was what men wanted. Now that she's found herself a guy who likes her for herself and seems pretty laid back on the appearance front, perhaps she simply doesn't feel pressured to dress up anymore.

29 minutes ago, alba said:

I get the impression from Jill that she never cared much how she looked in the first place, and only curled her hair and the like because she'd been taught that was what men wanted. Now that she's found herself a guy who likes her for herself and seems pretty laid back on the appearance front, perhaps she simply doesn't feel pressured to dress up anymore.

That's what I figured. Jill always struck me as the sort of girl who'd be a full-on hippie were it not for fundamentalism -- I could see her being like my cousin: rarely if ever wearing makeup, lots of loose and colorful clothes that look a bit thrown together, flat shoes, messy hair, and totally not giving a fuck because who has time to primp when you're strapping yourself to a tree to stop a logging company from felling a forest?

Sometimes I wish Jill would get her split ends trimmed or more fully embrace the boho look, but as long as she's happy doing her thing and is getting a little better adjusted after a fairly turbulent two years, whatever.

1 hour ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Sometimes I wish Jill would get her split ends trimmed or more fully embrace the boho look, but as long as she's happy doing her thing and is getting a little better adjusted after a fairly turbulent two years, whatever.

I'll happily say I'm a wearer of "boho" style clothing. Its generally very pretty, its comfy, and I feel fantastic in it. There is plenty out there that the Duggar girls would probably look sensational in (if it weren't for the incredible price tags some of it has, even second hand!), even if it needed a few small alterations to meet their modesty standards.

Sadly for me on many occasions I have found myself wondering if people will mistake my maxi skirts and dresses and being some sort of conservative religious girl. Hasn't happened yet so far, I'll usually defraud people with my knees or shoulders before then.  It probably helps that the whole fundie culture ins't as massive/well known in Australia as well.

9 hours ago, feministxtian said:

I finally cut bangs back into my hair...the parted in the middle look was starting to age me...and I don't like messing with just that. Tomorrow morning, I'll wet my big round brush and do something with the bangs before I head off to school (I'm a teacher now). The rest of the hair will still be in a knot. My reasons for long hair are..I live in the desert...at 110 degrees, ANY hair on the back of my neck is HOT. I'm too broke to pay for upkeep for a shorter style, long I can handle mostly by myself. Hubs trims the back and I cut the front. And last, but not least, my mom was on my @$$ from the time I turned 30 to cut it. I'm 52 now and STILL refuse to get it cut short. 

My mom is the same way, she HATES long hair on anyone over the age of..hell she just hates long hair. My sister and I were forced to wear it short as children because "I'm not dealing with your hair all the time" as I got older and did it myself she nagged and nagged about this or that depending on my age.  Essentially if we don't do things the way she did/does them we are doing it wrong.  My sister still wears her hair fairly short, but she has very thick very fine hair that does nothing.  I have fairly agreeable somewhat curly hair that I hate dealing with so I always wear it longer.  I'm 46 and I will be damned if my bitchy 70 year old mother is going to still tell me what to do. 

5 hours ago, titerlitury said:

But before she was a wife and mother, she was a GIRL. As in baby with a big flowered headband, baby voice talking, long curly hair that pleases Daddy GIRL. She met her husband as a GIRL. Maybe she thinks that to remain attractive to him, she has to stay the same. Forever. I mean. Look at her mother. Got a killer make over, looked great, went home and went back to the high school perm haircut and ridiculous clothing. GIRL.

It's creepy.

2 hours ago, allthegoodnamesrgone said:

My mom is the same way, she HATES long hair on anyone over the age of..hell she just hates long hair. My sister and I were forced to wear it short as children because "I'm not dealing with your hair all the time" as I got older and did it myself she nagged and nagged about this or that depending on my age.  Essentially if we don't do things the way she did/does them we are doing it wrong.

OMG my 75 year old mom has had the same short curly perm since 1963 and will NOT change it ever.  She backcombs the crown and flattens the bangs.  I was forced to have short hair so long as she had a say in the matter and same thing... she said it was because short hair was easier to deal with.  I guess there is some truth to that, in that my sister had nest knots and once had gum in her long hair.  I was the messy tomboy who wasn't allowed to have long hair.  So needless to say, as long as I could control it, I've had it long.

Which is weird because we were raised fundie, but not that part of fundyism.  Plus, this was the 70s, where kids weren't sexualized like they are today.  Kids clothes were brown and green (instead of pink and blue) and everyone, boys included, had a baptismal gown.

For those who said Jill looked a bit pregnant in the last episode, I don't think she was.

That must've been filmed August/September time? On the 9th October Derek's mum put this picture up on instagram. Definitely no bump of any kind.

Talking of hair, I really want to trim a few inches off Jill's in that photo and maybe buy her a hot oil treatment. She has gorgeously long hair but it does look a bit bad.

Screenshot_20161024-170718.png

Just now, Bushes of Love said:

For those who said Jill looked a bit pregnant in the last episode, I don't think she was.

That must've been filmed August/September time? On the 9th October Derek's mum put this picture up on instagram. Definitely no bump of any kind.

Talking of hair, I really want to trim a few inches off Jill's in that photo and maybe buy her a hot oil treatment. She has gorgeously long hair but it does look a bit bad.

Screenshot_20161024-170718.png

HER KNEES!

I think its really funny how J'chelle made such a big deal out of TLC blurring out her knees in the waterskiing episode while pretty much all the girls are baring their sincaps proudly.

I actually would applaud Jessa for giving a F if someone sees her hairline (if she really does). I would also not call that bold patches. I think she always had thin and light hair there but her styling covered it very well. A lot of woman have a hairline like that and we should do better than shaming them for it or telling them to do something against it. A lot of them tried various, sometimes expensive treatments till they realised nothing is changing what nature gave you (maybe if you get them surgical replaced but who can really pay for that).

15 minutes ago, just_ordinary said:

I actually would applaud Jessa for giving a F if someone sees her hairline (if she really does). I would also not call that bold patches. I think she always had thin and light hair there but her styling covered it very well. A lot of woman have a hairline like that and we should do better than shaming them for it or telling them to do something against it. A lot of them tried various, sometimes expensive treatments till they realised nothing is changing what nature gave you (maybe if you get them surgical replaced but who can really pay for that).

Yeah, I don't really consider those bald patches. I have two spots at my hairline that are similar (though smaller.) Hair grows there it's just very light, fluffy, and doesn't grow long. I lovingly refer to it as baby fluff. :pb_lol:

Honestly, it's not something I ever thought to be embarrassed about until I read the posts about Jessa's hair. I'm still not embarrassed by it - I just never realized there were people who are or would be embarrassed. I do get a bit annoyed sometimes because it doesn't cooperate, but mostly it doesn't bother me.

41 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

HER KNEES!

I think its really funny how J'chelle made such a big deal out of TLC blurring out her knees in the waterskiing episode while pretty much all the girls are baring their sincaps proudly.

Well, when her husband reminds her that she was hussy as a teen, she became overly sensitive about not trying alluring anyone. 

43 minutes ago, VelociRapture said:

Yeah, I don't really consider those bald patches. I have two spots at my hairline that are similar (though smaller.) Hair grows there it's just very light, fluffy, and doesn't grow long. I lovingly refer to it as baby fluff. :pb_lol:

Honestly, it's not something I ever thought to be embarrassed about until I read the posts about Jessa's hair. I'm still not embarrassed by it - I just never realized there were people who are or would be embarrassed. I do get a bit annoyed sometimes because it doesn't cooperate, but mostly it doesn't bother me.

Same here.  I have baby fine hair along the hair line, especially at the temples, that never gets longer than an inch but mine blends in better since I have much lighter hair.  I think the glare from the camera exaggerates her hair line.  Also it's true that women can lose a lot hair after having a baby. My hair hasn't recovered and my daughter is almost 6.  Of course I'm almost 50 so the hormonal changes don't help. :my_biggrin:

8 minutes ago, justmy2cents said:

Same here.  I have baby fine hair along the hair line that never gets longer than an inch but mine blends in better since I have much lighter hair.  I think the glare from the camera exaggerates her hair line.  Also it's true that women can lose a lot hair after having a baby. My hair hasn't recovered and my daughter is almost 6.  Of course I'm almost 50 so the hormonal changes don't help. :my_biggrin:

I have the "baby hairs" too...what's funny is that my hair has gotten thicker in the past few years. Not that I'm complaining, I kinda like having the "mane". The other funny thing is that I have ringlets...my hair looks like I had one of those 80's spiral perms...no perm...just ringlets. 

4 hours ago, sunshine said:

Well, when her husband reminds her that she was hussy as a teen, she became overly sensitive about not trying alluring anyone. 

Does anyone think about Jimb acting like Mother Gothel to Michelle??

I've had long hair (waist length) for over ten years and I used to put it up in a bun until it gave me headaches. Now I braid it every day and it takes about thirty seconds, no lie. I also had the great pregnancy hair followed by major hair loss after birth. It takes a long time for long hair to fill in and my new growth was whispy around my hairline. I'm guessing Jessa has experienced something similar and while you don't lose as much while pregnant you also tend not to grow as much either. The ongoing pregnancy/nursing cycle may be causing some patchiness for her. Michelle probably uses the curls to add volume and disguise the effects of never ending hormonal hair havoc.

I still can't believe "Counting On" hasn't been canceled.

Tried to tell my mom about the Duggars' personal beliefs to get her to stop watching it. She just brushed me off with "They're getting a bad rap because they're Christian" and that Josh was getting help.

*sigh*

I'll have to point out that Gothard connection next time.

For those of you with long hair, I found this bun to be so easy...and sooooo comfortable!  My hair isn't as long as hers, but it goes up easily, and I love that I need zero clips/pins/etc.  And it doesn't pull on my head, nor give me headaches!  

Spoiler

30 minutes ago, BoPeep said:

For those of you with long hair, I found this bun to be so easy...and sooooo comfortable!  My hair isn't as long as hers, but it goes up easily, and I love that I need zero clips/pins/etc.  And it doesn't pull on my head, nor give me headaches!  

Hide contents

I have long hair and have been doing this bun since college. I went to college with a young woman that never cut her hair (for religious reasons). Her hair was below her knees. When we were in the bathroom she would twist her hair in a bun in seconds before she would use the restroom.

The other secret was using those blue spiral perm rods with damp hair till it dries (or overnight).. No heat, less then a 5 minute process and curls lasted till next time you washed your hair. Everytime I see the Duugar girls with those cheap curling irons, I wonder why not use some of those spiral perm rods so the hair is not damaged. Im sure they have some of those rods around the TTT.

Derrick looks much better in that picture.

Jill, imho, is seriously depressed. Hopefully it will get better because she certainly won't get treatment. Being home should help for a while.

UGH!!!!

ANOTHER clip show tonight. UGH....with a SUPER Surprise guest.....President Obama? Donald Trump?? Joshie?? The Ghost of Princess Diana??? Who is this super guest??? Oh god...not....no....please not.....AMY....NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Even Bill Gothard would be more interesting.

The After Show

The family comes together to relive some of the most memorable moments from season 2. Plus, before the reunion is over, there is a surprise guest in store for the cast. 60 Min. |

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived