IGNORED

Maxhell- Summer with the Maxwells Pt 3

samurai_sarah

Why does everyone think that John is going to escape? The fact that he is "allowed" to travel on his own and still return to the flock, leads me to believe that John is so deep in the Kool-Aid that Steve doesn't worry about him straying.

I think the bigger question is what is up with Joseph and Elissa. Something is going on there because their names are rarely mentioned nor do we see a lot of pictures of them. Maybe Joseph and Elissa are the ones that will break away or already have. Something has definitely changed since they had the baby. It could be that living on their own allowed them to see that there is more to the world than their sheltered upbringing would have them believe. I can understand wanting their privacy but I can't understand appearing to be completely MIA from almost every family event. 

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@socalrules I know!

That 7/10 of a mile Elisa and Joseph live from Maxhell might as well be 70 or 700 miles as little as we see of them.

Who knew 3/4 of a mile would do so much good as opposed to being on the same street or around the corner.  Maybe the next Maxwell married can live 5 miles away.  :mouse-shock:

Double mountain climb for the kidults but no Steve and Teri with them. Guess they were fellowshipping in the cabin. :brainbleach:

Also, I give Sarah points for being one of the few people to use the spelling "sneak peak" in its correct context.

On Joseph and Elissa, I remember awhile back someone asking on the blog why they weren't at an event, and got a very snappy response to the effect of "they have their own lives, they don't always have time for everything." If anyone can recall the exact post and wording...

Eh, I think Joseph and Elissa still get plenty of blog references and are seen at most events.  They are still far more enmeshed than most couples their ages.  The other married couples just get more attention on the blog because more recent babies and the Maxwell daughters love babysitting the ABCs.  

I don't have high hopes for John making a run for it for the same reasons as @socalrules.

My guess/hope is that the first Maxwell to stray will be Jesse.  He'll just wander off one day and no-one will notice, including FJ, until Steve notices that the woodpile is getting untidy and wonders why Jesse hasn't shown initiative and cleaned it up.

If my dream comes true, Jesse will be discovered in a library somewhere reading all the books Steve forbade him to even look at. :)

Today's post had some gorgeous pictures of the mountains.  But I gotta ask: who gets up at 2:00 am to hike in the dark?  And since Sarah mentioned they were up in the mountains for eleven hours, did they "hold it" the whole time until they got back?  Or were there "facilities" around there for them to use?

On 8/27/2016 at 6:45 AM, mango_fandango said:

John was able to join them for a hike along the Continental Divide! Ellie did excellent on the six-mile hike! They bought a hands-free leash which was great because you don't have to hassle with holding a leash in your hands!!

Ellie did excellentLY. And wrong usage of hassle. Say "you don't have the hassle of holding a leash in your hands". Hassle is a verb, yes, but it's not used as such in this context. But, scrub all that, WHY is holding a leash a "hassle"? It's just holding rope in your hand. If you have a loop at the end of the leash, there's no problem with slipping the loop over your wrist to be able to use both hands. 

In the photo of him, Steve has moobs. EWW EWW EWW NO PASS THE BRAIN BLEACH:brainbleach:

Not just moobs, either—I spy a starter beer gut! I mean, I wouldn't snark on most older guys letting themselves go a bit because it'll happen to all of us...but then most older guys aren't promoting themselves and their two-cracker lifestyles as The One True Way.

Seconding the hope that Jesse wanders off to the library and never comes back. Specifically, I hope he uncovers the lost lyrics of "Row, Row, Row Your Boat" and comes to question everything he was ever taught.

7 minutes ago, Jingerale said:

It looks like the blog is down, anyone else have the same issue? 

Yes, I just tried.  Let's see how long it takes for the computer experts to fix it.

things that generally need reminders:

• lettuce for the July 4 BBQ
  • renewing your domain name -- hey, maybe that was the business that they thought would prevent them from going on their not-a-vacation this year!  And they thought they got it done early, but -- dun Dun DUNNN!  something went wrong after they left.

4 hours ago, EscapedCardinal said:

...two-cracker lifestyles...

This is priceless. This has to be a post count title or thread title or something: Living a two-cracker lifestyle. Love it!!

On 8/25/2016 at 4:52 PM, Palimpsest said:

But she is!  It is like a personals ad.  Steve has to marry one of the daughters off to keep the leg-humpers convinced that he knows what he is doing. Poor Sarah is way past her sell-by date by Fundie standards, and Poor Anna didn't "take" whilst in her prime either.

That said, chances are that eligible young men take one look at Steve and run for the hills.  Or those brave enough to ask are rejected by Steve outright as unworthy.

The lack of marriages for the daughters so far has nothing to do with the personality, house-training, domesticity, sweetness, suitability, or relative attractiveness of the daughters.  It is Steve.

Catching up on this thread, ITA on the bolded.  I have long been of belief that Steve is the main reason why his daughters are not married.   I am certain that Sarah and Anna have had potential suitors interested in them but cannot pass muster with Steve and furthermore, don't tell me that word hasn't gotten around in their circles about Steve's impossible standards thereby discouraging others.  

IMHO it all comes down to keeping the family together forever and forever at the gulag Maxwell compound.   No problem for the sons getting married as the DILs move to KS to be with them but the daughters?   Typically in their circles the daughters would move away to be with their husbands but Steve cannot abide that.  I believe his requirements involve any potential son-in-law to move to KS,  be gainfully self employed (possibly removing him from his customer base) and be able to buy a house cash free among other things. Seeing how he interacts online, it's very possible he deals with potential suitors in a condescending manner and views them as threats to his little empire.  I wonder how long some of these suitors have tried and finally give up.    How many times have Sara and Anna have had to watch suitors walk away?  This whole business that Sarah has "chosen" to still remain home is a load of bullshit even if she believes it or rather has been manipulated to believe it.  The word "chosen" is not what they think it means.

17 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Yes, I just tried.  Let's see how long it takes for the computer experts to fix it.

Me too.  Nate, Chris, Joe fix this stat!

On 8/25/2016 at 2:55 PM, Coconut Flan said:

Since the Maxwells refuse to give up the secret of the pizza cutter for lettuce, I'll offer up one:

sorry for messing up the quote box, but I haven't been reading the Maxwell blog as often as I used to and I'm a bit confused.....for several weeks, I've been reading here about the pizza-cutter/lettuce thing.  did they really phrase this on the blog like it's some big secret trick?  and then never revealed the answer?  all this time, I thought it was an FJ inside joke. 

at the first mention, I thought, hmm...interesting; I'm very bad at meal prep and don't enjoy cooking--let's try this.  so (disclaimer:  sarcasm alert) without an engineering degree, I picked some garden lettuce, wielded my pizza cutter, and in about .0000384 seconds, figured out how to cut lettuce with the pizza cutter.  whoa, that was so f%$#ing *hard*!!  but in reality, I've continued to do this all summer, because I'm a bad chef and I'm clumsy enough that I've cut my hands many times on kitchen knives, and this actually works for me.

Steve, if this was such an enormous breakthrough for your household, you are an even bigger ass than I previously thought, because you have given your family so little knowledge and freedom to think outside of your narrow perspective.

8 minutes ago, catlady said:

sorry for messing up the quote box, but I haven't been reading the Maxwell blog as often as I used to and I'm a bit confused.....for several weeks, I've been reading here about the pizza-cutter/lettuce thing.  did they really phrase this on the blog like it's some big secret trick?  and then never revealed the answer?  all this time, I thought it was an FJ inside joke. 

I'll remove the empty quote box for you.  No biggie.  Yes, the Maxwells did exactly that. 

Titus 2 blog is down and my first thought was to run to FJ to check if Sarah was courting and if that had crashed their website. I need help. 

21 hours ago, Jingerale said:

It looks like the blog is down, anyone else have the same issue? 

It's not an issue :P

I wonder, should I fulfill my postcount, which indicates I should write Moody Family fanfic?

1 minute ago, Coconut Flan said:

A Maxwellian noticed and it's baaaaack.

It took 22 hours +/- though!  I would have expected better from the people who ran 1TonRamp.

23 minutes ago, CyborgKin said:

It's not an issue :P

I wonder, should I fulfill my postcount, which indicates I should write Moody Family fanfic?

Have I ever told you before - your dry as a bone humour kills me! :laughing-rolling:

Ay yi yi … I was just starting to lose the heat/induced blues when I visited the blog and ennui rushed over me again like a waterfall.

"We hiked, we snacked, we added layers of clothing, we took photos."

Repeat.

And again. I will give them this: they will never need to declutter their home--they enjoy experience over obtaining or even creating items.  

That said, I'm puzzled by the following:

"Then, we headed back. We knew this next part would be hard, as we’d lost a lost of elevation coming down from Belford."

What that mean, "we'd lost a lot of elevation coming down."  ????

And why would it increase the difficulty?

I'm guessing it's a real mountaineering phenomenon and not just Teri's SOTDRT coming home to roost … but I can't parse it. TIA?!

Why you FJers so mean?

It was the blog hosting company that was having a satanic attack, not the Maxwells.  :pb_evil:

5 minutes ago, MamaJunebug said:

That said, I'm puzzled by the following:

"Then, we headed back. We knew this next part would be hard, as we’d lost a lost of elevation coming down from Belford."

I'm not a hiker/climber and don't get this either.  They lost elevation very quickly maybe?

11 minutes ago, kpmom said:

I'm not a hiker/climber and don't get this either.  They lost elevation very quickly maybe?

The higher the elevation the closer to God?  Going down must be so h-a-r-d!

Going downhill uses different muscles and you are already tired from going up.  Especially when you got up at 2:00 am to hike a 14er. 'Cos Maxwell time.

Yeah.  That's all I've got.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived