IGNORED

Maxhell- Summer with the Maxwells Pt 3

samurai_sarah

I believe he took his stepfather's name.  His birth name was Barger.

Ah, okay. Thanks for explaining.

Odd that he took (and kept) his stepfather's name in his teens when he's so adamant that his parents' divorce was the Worst Thing Ever.

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, alba said:

Ah, okay. Thanks for explaining.

Odd that he took (and kept) his stepfather's name in his teens when he's so adamant that his parents' divorce was the Worst Thing Ever.

He holds a grudge against his father for leaving his mother to be with another woman.  I'm guessing that's what led to his extreme views regarding family, working with women, etc.

Gee, I just realized we'd have to call this subforum Bargerhell if Steve hadn't changed his name.  Not nearly as poetic as Maxhell.

"Joseph and Ofjoseph Maxwell" to remind their adoring masses that Joseph no longer is part of the Steve Maxwell Family, but behold!--is the patriarse of his own demi-world. In more ancient terms, he's now a demi-god in Steve's Pantheon. 

1 hour ago, kpmom said:

He holds a grudge against his father for leaving his mother to be with another woman. 

Is there a post or an article where he talks about this? 

Surely Steve isn't still holding the kind of grudge that a teenager would hold when he's 60-something years old, right?...Right?

Jesus said to forgive your enemies seventy times seven, Stevie! 

8 hours ago, Granwych said:

Of course Andy didn't care--Aunt Bee would cook, clean, and watch over Opie and any further little Taylors.

A pleasant but lengthy rant ensues. TIA for entertaining it. 

Oh lawsy mercy, as Andy would say in his over-the-top accent, I wasn't referring to the character Ellie, but to the actress who still (in her 80s) has a lot of Terifying's facial features, especially a right-bodacious set of chompin' teeth and a longish, narrow mid-face.  

There's nothing like an episode of TAGS to soothe me when I'm feeling at wit's end … unfailingly stupid Barney, mostly unflappable Bee, uniformly adorable Opie. 

That said, they've played one episode that almost had me navigating to the delete button -- the one where the farmer's daughter longs for the feminine things in life, and Barney spirits her away to Ellie, who pulls a Pygmalion on her. Andy leads them all back to the farm, where the exhausted but kind father-farmer sees that his beautiful, dutiful daughter will attract a son-in-law to the family (dad and daughter were operating their farm all by themselves).  Thus Dad will have a stronger worker than Daughter and she will have the desires of her heart: to live as a woman and not doing the backbreaking work of unmechanized farming. 

Before You Hit Reply!!!---I was incensed, thinking of women as chattel, etc. But there was a redeeming theme to it. Feminism is about choice, and Daughter chose to live with traditionally feminine accoutrements. And Dad is shown to respect that, while acknowledging the benefits to bringing on a son-in-law. 

Point being, while the script would never sell today (unless there were a horror or SVU or escape theme to it), TAGS was a product of its times (began in 1960) and it had some progressive themes here and there. 

I'm a TAGS-fan for sure, and thus biased, but I really don't see it equal in any way to the foul absurdity of Steve Maxwell's way of life and how he forces it on his children.

I simply noticed the Donahue/Maxwelline resemblance and felt sad for the 'lines, living their severely and unnecessarily circumscribed lives. 

Thank you. I will now soak my typin' hand in an Epsom bath!!!!

New post up.  Teri's birthday party.  Pics of the little girls helping Teri open gifts. Goofy Anna making enchiladas, Smug Joe and the ABC girls washing dishes.

Poor Sarah also called Teri God's gift to them.  Blech!  I beg to differ.

On 8 September 2016 at 3:27 PM, MamaJunebug said:

"Joseph and Ofjoseph Maxwell" to remind their adoring masses that Joseph no longer is part of the Steve Maxwell Family, but behold!--is the patriarse of his own demi-world. In more ancient terms, he's now a demi-god in Steve's Pantheon. 

Patriarse. BRILLIANT. 

This term applies to all fundie men perfectly!!!!!!eleventy!!!

8 hours ago, SPHASH said:

Goofy Anna making enchiladas

Enchiladas filled with beans and her hair. That's actually disgusting how her untied hair looms over the food. I'm not snarking on her hair itself but the way they pretty much always seem to cook and bake with their hair all over the place. I have long hair (till my waist or so) and always, always, braid it or at least put on a ponytail when I cook, especially if I'm cooking for other people.

1 hour ago, LurkerOverThePond said:

Enchiladas filled with beans and her hair. That's actually disgusting how her untied hair looms over the food. I'm not snarking on her hair itself but the way they pretty much always seem to cook and bake with their hair all over the place. I have long hair (till my waist or so) and always, always, braid it or at least put on a ponytail when I cook, especially if I'm cooking for other people.

That jumped out at me, too. After years of super short hair, I started growing mine out a few years ago and I m hyper aware of hair landing in food. At the very least, she should have worn a headband that keeps her hair back from her face.

Speaking of hair, I think Teri's hair looks great. It looks healthy and shiny, which isn't always easy once you get to a certain age.

2 hours ago, molecule said:

That jumped out at me, too. After years of super short hair, I started growing mine out a few years ago and I m hyper aware of hair landing in food. At the very least, she should have worn a headband that keeps her hair back from her face.

Speaking of hair, I think Teri's hair looks great. It looks healthy and shiny, which isn't always easy once you get to a certain age.

Googy Anna will tie her hair back for a 14er hike but not cooking.  Gross.

4 hours ago, molecule said:

ITA!

Calia has a bunch she could borrow.

I have nothing Maxwelllian to add to this thread today. I just wanted to say it was a pleasant surprise to find I'm not alone in my enjoyment and occasional binge-watches of The Andy Griffith Show. :pb_smile:

1 hour ago, Loveday said:

I have nothing Maxwelllian to add to this thread today. I just wanted to say it was a pleasant surprise to find I'm not alone in my enjoyment and occasional binge-watches of The Andy Griffith Show. :pb_smile:

I've been woefully behind in keeping up with Maxhell, but now I want to binge watch TAGS while catching up.

My very favorite episode is where Aunt Bee comes ...at the end she's leaving because Opie doesn't warm up to her..

<To Andy explaining why Aunt Bee has to stay when she decides to leave> - "If she goes, what'll happen to her? She can't do anything...play ball, catch fish or frogs. She'll be helpless! That's why she's gotta stay, so I can teach them to her!"

Tiny Ron Howard killed that scene.   

I have unrelated questions:.

How are Andy and Barney cousins?  Mentioned twice and not again?

Also did Opie's mom die in a tragedy that took her entire family with her as well?  Small town like that, no grandparents, aunts/uncles, cousins?  

And why did Aunt Bee raise Andy?  What happened to his parents?  Is there some dark family problem that necessitates Aunt Bee hopping from relative to relative for decades raising their children?  

And why did they mock her when she wore the blonde wig?  I thought she looked fabulous.

buffy, funny you should ask. i am an andy-aholic and just yesterday andy punished opie for playing with matches in a barn and told opie about his own father punishing him for lying when he was a boy. so, he obviously at least had a father when he was old enough to belong to a secret club. he also had that aunt nora who is "ain't bea's" sister

I'm alone in my room, away from my family, at university. I bought a paper today. I've been watching the Paralympics. I also wore shorts. 

:Bang:<----- Steve's head exploding. My life is way better than yours, Maxwells. No Jesus needed. 

14 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

I'm alone in my room, away from my family, at university. I bought a paper today. I've been watching the Paralympics. I also wore shorts. 

:Bang:<----- Steve's head exploding. My life is way better than yours, Maxwells. No Jesus needed. 

Sad thing is, Jesus figures into Steve's Plan Of Salvation only incidentally. If Steve belonged to the Church Of What's Happenin' Now, he'd still have isolated and restricted his family beyond reason (but without breaking any laws).  Jesus was out among the lowest and highest of society, and never told his followers to reject anyone who wasn't family, nor father-approved.  Heck, IIRC only one of the 12 Apostles was a sibling of His … *if* one!  Off to consult Rev. Google… And Rev. G produces this:

http://www.bibleinfo.com/en/questions/who-were-twelve-disciples

TL;DR answer: none of the 12 disciples was Jesus' sibling.  Of course that's just one website.  If time & inclination permit, I might see what the Lutheran scholars say.

(That said, I will be meditating on 9/11 today in broadcast media silence, just because that's my way of dealing with the anniversary. But that silence includes no formal worship service in any church or church setting … so yes, something to think about, Steve.  If you care to think about it.)

so Teri's special birthday dinner was the usual bean burritos, just with some sauce and cheese? I guess a bit of red sauce and shredded cheese probably is quite a treat in Maxhell. 

9 hours ago, Coconutwater said:

They ate, washed dishes, and sat around...exciting birthday. These people are so boring they are fascinating. 

So boring they are interesting.  Im

Following the Maxwells is a bit like thing where you 'pop' virtual bubblewrap. Boring as fuck and absolutely pointless but nearly impossible to stop.
Someone here described them as the slowest trainwreck ever.

16 hours ago, SPHASH said:

So boring they are interesting.  Im

Yeah, for me, the Maxwell and Arndt families are the most fascinating families of the ones we discuss here. Their lives are so "lather-rinse-repeat", but in a way that I just.can't.look.away!

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived