IGNORED

Maxhell- Summer with the Maxwells Pt 3

samurai_sarah

In the normal course of events, you would have no idea of your realtor's living arrangements, unless you planned to ask them if they still lived with their parents, which would be kind of wierd.

Also, how would your realtor being a homeschooler affect their ability to inform you about area schools? What if the realtor is childless? Would that be a problem too??

• Replies 527
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Emilycharlotte said:

In the normal course of events, you would have no idea of your realtor's living arrangements, unless you planned to ask them if they still lived with their parents, which would be kind of wierd.

Also, how would your realtor being a homeschooler affect their ability to inform you about area schools? What if the realtor is childless? Would that be a problem too??

What I ment by that is they may not know how the schools are. As far as someone who dosen't have kids they might know because bring a realtor they might take the time to know about the area. 

54 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

What I ment by that is they may not know how the schools are. As far as someone who dosen't have kids they might know because bring a realtor they might take the time to know about the area. 

I'm sure he's done his research and spoken with others so he knows how to answer the questions, same as someone who has a license and is not from the area, they do the research, but in my experience that's something you research yourself as not all realtors are honest about that. Schools would not be something I take a realtors answer to heart. 

58 minutes ago, Coconutwater said:

I'm sure he's done his research and spoken with others so he knows how to answer the questions, same as someone who has a license and is not from the area, they do the research, but in my experience that's something you research yourself as not all realtors are honest about that. Schools would not be something I take a realtors answer to heart. 

Good point. I still can't get over that house he has for sale.  That something I could afford if I was willing to move to Kansas but that's not happening anytime soon. 

52 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

Good point. I still can't get over that house he has for sale.  That something I could afford if I was willing to move to Kanas but that's not happening anytime soon. 

I know right? That house in my area is 3-4K, but Kansas...I'm good where I'm at. 

1 minute ago, Coconutwater said:

I know right? That house in my area is 3-4K, but Kansas...I'm good where I'm at. 

As much as my area can drive me crazy. I honestly can't imagine living anywhere else. 

I wouldn't trust a realtor's word about schools either. We moved into our place thinking it was a great school district only to find out the high school is great but the elementary is garbage. They've been put on an improvement plan by the state because their kids test at less than the 20th percentile of what's expected and when asked about programs for kids who are ahead the principal said that there's no such thing, all kids are the same so they teach them the same. Hard pass.

Ole Johnny Boy is about a $1 million seller if the prices on his truly a page are accurate, so if he's getting 6% commission, he's recently added  $60,000 to the Maxwelledger. 

Add that to Steve's Social Security and the presumed income from investments of his Morality Money (payoff from his former, beleaguered employer), and whatever their continuing book sales are, I'd say the oddballs are Maxwell-off, if not precisely well-off. 

And I'd venture a guess that while John may be a troo believer, he also gets to call the shots on his own life, whether or not P'Sarah is allowed to blogvertise that fact. 

I just went through the Titus2 blog after not paying attention the Maxwells for about a year and I swear, the deja vu is so strange with how nothing changes with this family. Another trip to Colorado, another climb starting in the middle of the night up a 14er, another post about getting meals prepared for the trip, random posts about cleaning (were that many words really dedicated to a new washing machine? what?), aunts hanging out with nieces, happy birthday posts including one with worship from all kids towards Steve, and another baby for Christopher and Anna (even that isn't quite news at this point).

The only thing that was interesting and sad was that poor attack on Ellie, poor doggie. Where the hell were the owners of those dogs?

17 hours ago, Emilycharlotte said:

There is also Google which I think a large portion of people utilize before hiring out professional services. I did exactly that 7 years ago when putting my house on the market and then a few more times as contracts expired and new realtors were needed.

If someone Googles John Maxwell a realtor in Kansas, they'll hit up on his family and their lives. 

Ten minutes on Google would tell me all I needed to know to not hire John Maxwell. 

As for schools, I don't have a specific opinion since I don't have kids. Although I did look into school districts before I even rented where I am because the kids attending school in the community will grow up to be the adults of the community and schools are important to me that way. I would presume that parents looking to buy will utilize Google for that as well and not need to rely on their realtor. But, while I've bought two homes, I've never had kids so I don't know how parents would typically think.

School districts can be funny things. In the St Louis area, there's the Ladue SD, eponymous to the suburb which has nearly as high a per capita income as 90210. 

Thing is, many families -- at least historically -- didn't "move on up" to Ladue til the kids were approaching high school age. Thus, the K-8 program had a "meh" rep while Ladue HS was considered the snozz. 

Ambitious fams tended to send their littles to any one of a number of private schools or to other well-respected districts thru Grade 8, and then moved to Ladue to take advantage of free, quality education for Grades 9-12.

So someone with littles looking to buy in Ladue might've wondered why they should pony up that much money + insane RE taxes for grade schools with just an ok rep. The savvy RE agent would know the drill. 

Anyway that's STL not NE Kansas & really has little to do with Juicy John Maxwell. But it came to mind as I read here. 

PS: For my sister lowbrows who dig Bravo's Real Housewives shows, their patron sinner Andy Cohen attended Clayton schools K-12 AFAIK. Clayton is insanely prosperous but with a different pedigree than Ladue, and its schools K-12 have had stellar ratings for the past 50 years at least -- the gold standard by which up-&-coming school districts measured themselves.  FWIW, little trivia, there. 

New post up.  They played foosball and ping pong.  Even Teri.  Definitely a courtship going on.  Didn't they have a conference in CO last year?

On 8/28/2016 at 2:33 PM, Dark Matters said:

Today's post had some gorgeous pictures of the mountains.  But I gotta ask: who gets up at 2:00 am to hike in the dark?  And since Sarah mentioned they were up in the mountains for eleven hours, did they "hold it" the whole time until they got back?  Or were there "facilities" around there for them to use?

Actually that's the time that you need to get started if you're hiking a 14er to be safest and most successful. If you get started even by dawn or anytime after its too late. CO mountain thundestorms are intense and frequent on summer afternoons and there's a reason we lead the US in lightening deaths. If you ever hear stories of hikers getting killed or trapped and needing rescued it's almost always inexperienced hikers, usually out of state tourists who thought hiking a 14er was like taking a walk in Central Park.

Knowing this is the only thing I'll ever give the Maxwell's credit for, though having to give them any sort of props is painful.

8 hours ago, fundiefan said:

There is also Google which I think a large portion of people utilize before hiring out professional services. I did exactly that 7 years ago when putting my house on the market and then a few more times as contracts expired and new realtors were needed.

If someone Googles John Maxwell a realtor in Kansas, they'll hit up on his family and their lives. 

Ten minutes on Google would tell me all I needed to know to not hire John Maxwell. 

As for schools, I don't have a specific opinion since I don't have kids. Although I did look into school districts before I even rented where I am because the kids attending school in the community will grow up to be the adults of the community and schools are important to me that way. I would presume that parents looking to buy will utilize Google for that as well and not need to rely on their realtor. But, while I've bought two homes, I've never had kids so I don't know how parents would typically think.

Maybe I'm the oddball, but I couldn't care less about my realtor's personal life, beliefs, family arrangements, etc.  It's a professional relationship, so if he/she is honest and good at his/her job, that's really all I need to know. 

There's now a post up celebrating Joseph and Elissa's second anniversary of their secret wedding. Elissa doesn't appear to be pregnant at all, and if she were, I'm sure an anniversary post would be considered a prime place to announce. I imagine that they'll have more children, but since she and Joseph conceived the quickest out of all three married kidults, it is rather surprising that Calia is almost one year old with no little brother or sister in sight. 

Not that I'm encouraging back to back pregnancies like NR Anna has come toward, not at all! 

Been binge-watching "The Andy Griffith Show" and impressed by a slight but distinct resemblance between the actress Elinor Donahue and Teri and her daughters. Huge difference, of course, being that Ms. Donahue has had a life outside of her parents' clutches. It's interesting to see how the Maxgals might look and act if they'd been allowed to mature normally 

Using the past tense because I gloomily think that there's no hope for any of them to eventually lead a life of their own, even young Mary.  

Why does the Joseph and Elissa post say Joseph and Elissa Maxwell? I think we all know they are Maxwells given that it is the Maxwell family blog and all. 

@MamaJunebug, one difference between Ellie Walker and the Maxwell women is that Ellie was pretty independent.  She was a pharmacist and even was on the town council.  There's that classic episode that Ellie runs for council.  She won, too, because you see Ellie at council meetings in other episodes.  I can't imagine the Maxwell females in those roles.

ETA: All of Andy's girlfriends were career women.  Helen even said that she'd continue teaching if she and Andy got married.  Barney was horrified that Helen was much of a cook, but Andy didn't care.

It sure looks like the Maxwells are having f*n in those vacation pictures!  Foosball, ping pong, kayak tag.  It looks a lot like vacations I've taken with my family.

Is Steve being forced to lighten up a bit in his golden years?

1 hour ago, kpmom said:

It sure looks like the Maxwells are having f*n in those vacation pictures!  Foosball, ping pong, kayak tag.  It looks a lot like vacations I've taken with my family.

Is Steve being forced to lighten up a bit in his golden years?

They're reminding me of a less-wealthy version of the Niednagels and Thomases. One fun event after another, blogged and bragged!

On Tuesday, September 06, 2016 at 8:58 PM, Snarfblatt said:

Why does the Joseph and Elissa post say Joseph and Elissa Maxwell? I think we all know they are Maxwells given that it is the Maxwell family blog and all. 

I thought that was odd, too. They really fetishize their own lastname. Odd, considering it's not even Steve's birth name. 

You are making an idol of your last name, Steve. Maybe you should give it up. Something to think about.

On ‎9‎/‎6‎/‎2016 at 9:47 PM, PennySycamore said:

@MamaJunebug, one difference between Ellie Walker and the Maxwell women is that Ellie was pretty independent.  She was a pharmacist and even was on the town council.  There's that classic episode that Ellie runs for council.  She won, too, because you see Ellie at council meetings in other episodes.  I can't imagine the Maxwell females in those roles.

ETA: All of Andy's girlfriends were career women.  Helen even said that she'd continue teaching if she and Andy got married.  Barney was horrified that Helen was much of a cook, but Andy didn't care.

Of course Andy didn't care--Aunt Bee would cook, clean, and watch over Opie and any further little Taylors.

I thought that was odd, too. They really fetishize their own lastname. Odd, considering it's not even Steve's birth name. 

You are making an idol of your last name, Steve. Maybe you should give it up. Something to think about.

It's not Steve's birth name? Did he change it by deed poll (or however you do it in the US) or something, or did he change his name when his parents divorced?

• samurai_sarah locked this topic

Archived