IGNORED

Counting On Part 11

Destiny

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, twinmama said:

On top of this, it is not the job of the infertile to adopt the world's needy children. IMO, your fertility status should have NO bearing on whether you can adopt of not. I don't mean if you are pregnant, but the ability to get pregnant shouldn't matter. While I don't think Jessa should adopt when she probably has no intention of limiting her biological children, plenty of fertile people decide to adopt instead or in addition! 

I briefly looked into a adoption recently. I remember watching videos on agency websites of couples wanting to adopt. And almost all of them mentioned fertility issues. It made me wonder if birth mothers would skim right past adoptive parents who DON'T have fertility problems. I remember thinking "there is just no way anyone would pick us."

3 minutes ago, ClaraOswin said:

I briefly looked into a adoption recently. I remember watching videos on agency websites of couples wanting to adopt. And almost all of them mentioned fertility issues. It made me wonder if birth mothers would skim right past adoptive parents who DON'T have fertility problems. I remember thinking "there is just no way anyone would pick us."

I've considered adoption, since we did have fertility issues then prematurity issues and I just won't do pregnancy again. But we're atheists and I won't lie about that, so I think no one would want us. But I also have a lot of concern about various adoption issues and I'm not even sure I want another kid (lol), so we aren't doing it. But it makes me angry that not being Christian could stop us if we did want to adopt.

After some soul searching, I am pretty sure adoption (and really, having another child, in general) is probably not the best choice for me. It's heartbreaking in many ways but probably for the best in the end.

But I still find the idea of adoption very interesting. Just not for me, it turns out.

I did major in social work so if I ever go out into the world again...maybe I can find a job in the field. Stranger things have probably happened.

3 hours ago, twinmama said:

I've considered adoption, since we did have fertility issues then prematurity issues and I just won't do pregnancy again. But we're atheists and I won't lie about that, so I think no one would want us. But I also have a lot of concern about various adoption issues and I'm not even sure I want another kid (lol), so we aren't doing it. But it makes me angry that not being Christian could stop us if we did want to adopt.

You never know, there might be birth mothers who don't want their children raised in a religious family and are having a hard time finding non-Christian prospective parents.

But yeah, I do know that being Christian is a must for a lot of people, so I'm sure not being Christian makes an already difficult process much harder.

I'm glad you won't lie about it either. I know there are Christian adoptive parents who don't have that same convictions. I know if you want to adopt from an Arab country like Morocco both parents must be Muslim, and I've heard of Christians pretending to convert to Islam so they can adopt a child and then save that child by introducing them to Christianity.

9 hours ago, Rachel333 said:

I know if you want to adopt from an Arab country like Morocco both parents must be Muslim, and I've heard of Christians pretending to convert to Islam so they can adopt a child and then save that child by introducing them to Christianity.

That is horrifying. I don't understand how people can disrespect the birth parents like that. And disrespect the child like that.

9 minutes ago, twinmama said:

That is horrifying. I don't understand how people can disrespect the birth parents like that. And disrespect the child like that.

But in their strange little brains, they're not showing disrespect, they're saving the child.

This is a reminder for anyone who may not have noticed, but we have a new thread for the new season.  Please make comments about the new season there, thank you!

• Curious locked this topic

Archived