IGNORED

Fundie Retreat to Marry Off Children ~ Vaughn Ohlman

Leftitinmysnood

4 hours ago, polecat said:

1) The ‘youth’ ready for marriage has breasts. A woman who is to be married is one who has breasts; breasts which signal her readiness for marriage, and breasts who promise enjoyment for her husband.

Well that's what they're there for, right?  Not for feeding the eleventy infants, not for the woman's own pleasure.

Ohlman sounds like a pimp to be honest.  A pedophilic pimp.

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/4/2016 at 7:40 PM, Hiddenomaha said:

Its almost tempting for me to signup for this event....but then Id have no escape from their craziness for 3 days. What to do, what to do....

Well, except you might be assigned a headship and end up betrothed to someone you've never met and after the betrothal, THERE IS NO TURNING BACK!  

You might not even have time to call the rescue ferrets.  It's a scary damned place. 

2 hours ago, JesusPony said:

Just read Laura's betrothal story. Nope. I'd reserve the right to a veto when I met Prince Charming in person. I assume this particular Prince Charming is his father's lackey since Laura is heavily promoting the marriage retreat.

I think the desperation rings through. Unwarranted desperation, I'm sure, because she was married by 20, but it sounds like she'd already met several guys who were considering courtship and it didn't work out. Why not just absolve yourself of all the responsibility, and let daddy pick someone for you? Then you never have to grow up, because making decisions is hard. *pout*

Other Facebook friends who apparently have no problem being associated with a man who advocates the trafficking of teenaged girls: 

Joseph Randall Spurgeon (be still Vaughn’s Reformed heart!)

Nathaniel Darnell (even though Nathaniel kinda hates him for causing trouble on his Facebook page)

Colin Gunn (virulently misogynistic and homophobic filmmaker)

Caleb Hayden (member of VF’s “First Brigade” of interns)

Mark Rushdoony (almost as good as a Spurgeon!)

Taint Tait Zimmerman (father of Li'l Tait)

Susan Faulkner Disharoon (VF lady. Son had some… legal problems that one would think might make Susan reconsider a friendship with Vaughn. Guess not.)

Gary DeMar (Reformed bigwig)

Jonathan Lindvall (Reformed bigwig)

Adam McManus (rabidly right-wing radio guy)

Richard “Little Bear” Wheeler (Doug Phillips’ nemesis, or rather, one of them)

Chad Degenhart (notorious kinist who pals around with the McDonalds)

Kevin P. Swanson (Kill-the-gays radio guy)

Harry Seabrook (notorious kinist)

James Vernier (Botkin in-law)

David Brown (son of Scott Brown)

19 minutes ago, docmom said:

Yes.  And why these families are delivering their daughters over to this insanity is really beyond me.  Again, I encourage people who are thinking about forking money over to this auctioneer to reconsider.  Really, reconsider your whole lifestyle.

I keep thinking about the recent thread on Wayne Bent (who had his own methods of examining the breasts of young virgins, blech).   Vaughn "Pimp" Ohlman (and anyone else assessing young breasts for sexual gratification) are definitely grooming their young female flock.  Ick, ick, ick.

1 hour ago, devoe364 said:

I have been gone for a bit... what have I missed? 

@devoe364, here you go.

http://www.freejinger.org/forum/385-other-josiah-not-duggar/

The latest posts (where he briefly revisited) are here:

41 minutes ago, docmom said:
5 hours ago, polecat said:

1) The ‘youth’ ready for marriage has breasts. A woman who is to be married is one who has breasts; breasts which signal her readiness for marriage, and breasts who promise enjoyment for her husband.

Well that's what they're there for, right?  Not for feeding the eleventy infants, not for the woman's own pleasure.

Well, it's biblical after all. One rebuke I remember is enjoining a man to "rejoice in the breasts of the wife of his youth" if I'm remembering right. And Song of Solomon talks a bit about the man's enjoyment of his lover's breasts.

52 minutes ago, Leftitinmysnood said:

Um, wasn't there a discussion of the scriptural requirement of coerced marriage of rape victims in the Theonomy Reconstructionist FB group? I don't know if Vaughn was involved in the discussion, but @DomWackTroll might recall.

There sure was. And I once had screencaps of it-- since lost in a computer crash! :my_cry: Oy, it's killing me right now, because believe me, it was a doozy. Vaughn was... well, you can guess which side Vaughn was on. Other members were complaining about him (and others on his side)-- a lot-- to Nattie and Nattie was all like "Let's try to respect each other's opinions." 

Because, you know, Christian Liberty. Unless you have a vagina. 

On 5/4/2016 at 8:22 AM, nastyhobbitses said:

What would Fundie Tinder be like? "Jesus laid it on my heart to swipe right for you".

@happy atheist "swiping right for jesus!"

On 4 May 2016 at 5:44 PM, CTRLZero said:

I see the venue for this marriage opportunity fest is run by the Salvation Army.  Do they condone this sort of behavior or don't care?  They are always after me for donations, so maybe I'll ask.

:my_huh:

In my limited experience a lot of the older Salvation Army buildings are very large, cost a fortune to heat and need lots of roof repairs. They tend to hire the buildings out ( or did in the early 90s ) to make 

money to cover theses costs.

In the north of England  old Salvation Army buildings are sold on and become carpet warehouses or builders merchants.

58 minutes ago, nickelodeon said:

Anti-christian, blasphemous and foul-mouthed people are leaving reviews on Camp Hiawatha's facebook protesting the event:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Camp-Hiawatha/176054005738771

The Salvation Army has denied the request, per the page. 

"The Salvation Army has denied a request by the Let Them Marry organization to conduct its event at Camp Hiawatha."

He lost me at "for their edification".

No way I need to be "edificated" by a pedophilic pimp who thinks a woman can marry her rapist (please tell me I got this wrong and he didn't actually said so, please, this makes me feel ill).

The Salvation Army's official statement: 

The Salvation Army has denied a request by the Let Them Marry organization to conduct its event at Camp Hiawatha.
Our decision is based upon our long-standing concern for the welfare of children. At The Salvation Army, we work every single day to provide a safe, caring place for children, many of whom have been left vulnerable due to the actions of adults.
We remain steadfastly focused on our mission of advocating for and protecting children.

https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fpermalink.php%3Fstory_fbid%3D1184758881534940%26id%3D176054005738771

18 minutes ago, laPapessaGiovanna said:

He lost me at "for their edification".

No way I need to be "edificated" by a pedophilic pimp who thinks a woman can marry her rapist (please tell me I got this wrong and he didn't actually said so, please, this makes me feel ill).

Welllll... The guys on Theonomist Reconstructionists page who were arguing in favor of it (and it wasn't just Vaughn; there were several others) were kind of dancing around it, just as Vaughn is doing with the age-a-girl-is-ready-for-marriage thing now. Like, "The Old Testament is clear..." and quoting whatever passage it is. So if someone came back at them with "That's sick" or whatever, they'd just be like, "You're not arguing with me, you're arguing with Scripture." 

This is what they always do, so that when they're noticed by the mainstream media or groups like FJ, they can claim they were "misquoted" by heathens or that it was "taken out of context." 

3 hours ago, refugee said:

This might actually be under discussion elsewhere, if I'm not getting mixed up. I'd hate to think there were two such retreats going on...

@happy atheist or any of the other helpmeets. Don't know if this counts for merging threads?

Oh, yeah, clicked on the link and it is the same thing. Duh. Should have done that to start. But the "Duggar cult founder" threw me off -- I never thought of the Duggars as "reformed".

The Duggars are not reformed.

33 minutes ago, DomWackTroll said:

Welllll... The guys on Theonomist Reconstructionists page who were arguing in favor of it (and it wasn't just Vaughn; there were several others) were kind of dancing around it, just as Vaughn is doing with the age-a-girl-is-ready-for-marriage thing now. Like, "The Old Testament is clear..." and quoting whatever passage it is. So if someone came back at them with "That's sick" or whatever, they'd just be like, "You're not arguing with me, you're arguing with Scripture." 

This is what they always do, so that when they're noticed by the mainstream media or groups like FJ, they can claim they were "misquoted" by heathens or that it was "taken out of context." 

Those arrogant asshole cult leaders make me want to slap em' all. The old Testament is not a rulebook for Christians, dumb asses. Non-thinking sex obsessed perverts like this make me lose my shit. 

12 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

The Duggars are not reformed.

Those arrogant asshole cult leaders make me want to slap em' all. The old Testament is not a rulebook for Christians, dumb asses. Non-thinking sex obsessed perverts like this make me lose my shit. 

It's not even a rule book for the majority of Jews anymore. It has a lot of fucked up things in it, but those fucked up things can either be very open to interpretation as metaphors, or were very much a product of the time in which the Old Testament was written. Maybe marrying your daughter off to a complete stranger without her having much say in the matter made some kind of sense in a tribal society with scarce resources and a need to prevent incest (if she marries a rando she's far less likely to be closely related to him) and consolidate wealth, but it doesn't make sense today.

Just now, nastyhobbitses said:

It's not even a rule book for the majority of Jews anymore. It has a lot of fucked up things in it, but those fucked up things can either be very open to interpretation as metaphors, or were very much a product of the time in which the Old Testament was written. Maybe marrying your daughter off to a complete stranger without her having much say in the matter made some kind of sense in a tribal society with scarce resources and a need to prevent incest (if she marries a rando she's far less likely to be closely related to him) and consolidate wealth, but it doesn't make sense today.

Exactly! Reading a translation of Scripture as though it was written in English just for modern Americans inevitably leads to incorrect interpretation. This is dangerous, but fundys don't see the value of rigorous theological training for their leaders.

Kind of a pet peeve of mine, simplistic Scripture reading.

I like #5, where he drops all pretenses of talking to anyone else but FJ. 

5. You have the thread where you discuss us tagged as ‘courtship’. We suppose you know that we disagree with ‘courtship’ and that’s why you put us there?

Lol. He has such a rage hard-on for us. So cute. And little.

3 minutes ago, SilverBeach said:

Exactly! Reading a translation of Scripture as though it was written in English just for modern Americans inevitably leads to incorrect interpretation. This is dangerous, but fundys don't see the value of rigorous theological training for their leaders.

Kind of a pet peeve of mine, simplistic Scripture reading.

In general, the way fundies pass themselves off as experts when they clearly have no idea what the fuck they're talking about/doing, and pooh-poohing real, rigorous education and regarding it as dangerous, is endangering or ruining a lot of people's lives. See also: fake midwives, the inaccurate and incomplete homeschool curricula that give kids deficient educations, the list goes on.

2 hours ago, Howl said:

Well, except you might be assigned a headship and end up betrothed to someone you've never met and after the betrothal, THERE IS NO TURNING BACK!  

You might not even have time to call the rescue ferrets.  It's a scary damned place. 

Being a 6'3" athletic male, Im pretty sure I can hold my own :D

5 hours ago, HarryPotterFan said:

Oh Lordy. Can "Learning the Joys of Anal Sex" be a post count title?

And silly Mr. Ohlman, we're not anti-Christian, we're anti-condemning everyone who doesn't follow your exact version of Jesus and anti-using religion as an excuse for hate. Big difference.

I was also unaware of the government seal of approval on pre-teen sex. Last I checked abstinence-only education was a thing.

Haven't they heard of Bristol Palin?  She's an abstinence advocate.  Oh, wait....

6 hours ago, SweetFellowshipper said:

Wow. We've done been told, I guess.

Words cannot describe how much we appreciate their well thought out, pleasantly written, Biblical commentary on our various posts.

ETA: I hope they'll send a representative to come play. Fundie Friday! :)

OK, they must be moderating their comments over on that blog post, because I commented (in a very polite, respectful manner) and it hasn't been posted.

And....damn. I have to go back to work and can't engage in this thread or that blog to the extent I'd like to for the rest of the afternoon. :pb_lol:

44 minutes ago, 16strong said:

I like #5, where he drops all pretenses of talking to anyone else but FJ. 

Lol. He has such a rage hard-on for us. So cute. And little.

I know. I'm particularly pleased that he called out my tag. Vaughn-boy wants to be so special that no one agrees with him. He's not fundie, not into courting, too refined for such coarse behaviors. But start talking about sex characteristics and rape victims and he's all over it.

I read this earlier today and it made me cringe.

• samurai_sarah locked this topic
  • Coconut Flan unlocked this topic

Archived