IGNORED

Dougie on "Food Heresies"

GeoBQn

Dougie gives one example of food heresy--the woman who died because she thought she could be nourished by sunlight.

visionforum.com/news/blogs/doug/2012/05/10126/

As farfetched as this seems, if one adopts the theory of evolution, outlandish claims like those posited by Prahlad Jani are actually not so difficult to reconcile. If one assents to the evolutionary notion that man has been gaining new genetic information over millions of years to evolve beyond encumbrances to his survival, it would make sense that he might well evolve beyond his need for food, since hunger has long been one of the most basic encumbrances man must overcome to live.

Yes, that's exactly what the theory of evolution says! Humans can gain any kind of magical superpower we want if we just give it time! I think I'll get to work on turning my legs into wheels to get over the encumbrance of walking!

This makes me wonder what other "food heresies" are going to be discussed at the Food and Family Conference. Newsflash: you can't eat fire! Isn't that worth the $99 admission price?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Doug:

REVERSING TOXICITY. The milk you are giving your children may contain a cocktail of as many as 20 painkillers, antibiotics and growth hormones. Is this healthy? What impact are these hormones and drugs having on my children's bodies? What do I do about it. Come to the Reformation of Food and Family Conference.

A comment:

Would love to attend the conference but at $399 for a home schooling family of seven that is a lot of money!! $45 for the ladies tea per person..? Really if you are serving families, is there no way this could be made more affordable??

Doug's defensive answer:

thanks for your comment. At about $57 a person for a family of seven for a three day quality event (or less than $20 a-day/a-person), we have attempted to keep this affordable, not withstanding the fact that we recognize that we may not be able to break even on the event. Our hope is that parents see this as a powerful investment in their future as a family. One that is worth paying the price of a movie ticket and a hamburger/per day per child. We are sorry that you do not see this approach as serving families. That is our goal. The ladies tea is a very special, but optional event which is a benefit fundraiser. Historically, our teas have filled-up quickly and have a long waiting list. We hope that you will be able to join us. God bless you.

More comments:

Will there be anyone at your conference who actually knows anything about food safety? Vision Forum is very good about homeschooling issues and a resource I utilize, but you should stick to what you do best. Misinformed people could be seriously hurt by this

In some cases I find this obsession with chasing after perfect health to become an idol for some folks. They look to their food instead of God for their health and safety. It is certainly an insult for those living in poverty who have trouble buying the so called toxic foods just to survive. Store bought un-organic milk may be imperfect but it grows healthy kids rather nicely. It was also part of a program that healed my body of a serious health concern. Sure I would love to get my milk straight from the cow or goat but cannot and will not for quite a long time.

I ask anyone who is participating in this conference to pray for discretion and Godly wisdom as there is a lot of hype in the natural health community that is money grabbing disguised as concern for food purity. Another segment seems to thrive on fear mongering just to get their particular views accepted. As someone with very little to money spend you end up being able to sort profit driven hype from real concerns very quickly. You learn to sort real health concerns from the scare tactics. So many diet, nutrition and health things out there , even Christian ones, are over exaggerated simply because more people will pay attention and buy the products or books.

I am not accusing Vision Forum of participating in the hype or fear mongering but only that they may have fallen under the sway of it because of their concern for the safety of the family.

Above all do not let personal food convictions become a source of pride or division among believers.

Hey, whattaya know -- not everyone is humping your leg, Dougie!

old Dougie really goes further and says a magical guy in the sky will feed and take care of you. that even more far fetched.

And one of the usual sycophants rebukes those who question VF's purposes or costs:

@Michelle - Do a little research into the guy mentioned in the original post, Joel Salatin. He's an expert in his field! In my experience, VF is an expert at bringing together the experts in a given field to provide their attendees with a well-rounded, scriptural view of a given topic. What a wonderful homeschool resource they are providing to help us teach our children how to responsibly care for their bodies! : )

Facebook Zuckerberg wedding Doug Phillips Is A Tool Obama G8 Summit

Oh Dougie! I think it is actually the other way around.

It is amazing that this man can type given that his head is so firmly planted up his own arse.

People are supposed to spend ~400$ so they can learn how to go to the store/farmers' market/next-door farmer and buy organic milk?

Totally legit.

This is the same Vision Forum that awarded Michelle Duggar, the queen of processed food, whose signature dish to pass down to her daughters is Tator Tot Casserole, made with frozen, lardy tots, cheap minced meat, canned soup and processed cheese, their Mother of the Year award? I really can't see JimBob springing for organic milk for 21 day in day out. They buy the cheapest, most calorie dense processed food available. And breed palates like Josh's.

I have often thought that Vision Forum is aiming for a more middle class crowd than ATI. There's crossover when ATI families like the Duggars haul themselves into the middle-class income bracket, but Dougie does seem to see himself as a bit of a dilettante, where ATI and Gothard seem to think that the Bible (as interpreted by Gothard) is all you need and be suspicious of any sort of higher education, even if that education is through a conservative Christian lense.

The historical dress ups, concern about food additives, pretentious "Christian" biographies and revisionist histories etc that come out of Vision Forum seem to be aimed at a different market to families like the Bates. And the Duggars lack of comfort in those circles came through when they attend the Titanic party but didn't wear period costume, where for the Vision Forum core group the costumes and faux historical themes seems to be one of the main attractions.

When I first heard of "food heresies" I was pretty curious. Should've trusted Vision Forum to construct their own food rules to be legalistic about, instead of just going over OT food laws.

tool.jpg

Just a minute, that tool is way too useful - you're insulting tools everywhere by comparing Dougie to them.

DOUG PHILLIPS IS A *USELESS* TOOL.

And one of the usual sycophants rebukes those who question VF's purposes or costs:

Facebook Zuckerberg wedding Doug Phillips Is A Tool Obama G8 Summit

I looked the guy up on Wiki. He doesn't seem entirely ignorant of the raising and eating of animals, but he's also very conservative and in favour of traditional gender roles. That doesn't necessarily mean he's bad at what he does, but I do suspect he was selected as much for his religious views as his farming experience. If they were really looking for an "expert" they'd go for a dietician, a doctor, or someone else with a high-level degree in an appropriate discipline and significant research background, regardless of religious or social opinions.

A comment:

Doug's defensive answer:

Dear Doug: Most families of seven, especially those with likely the education level of a typical VFer, do not take their entire family out for a movie and a hamburger all at once. This is because, simply put: they can not afford it. They might take the birthday child, or go on a date, but all seven family members at once? That's a once in a blue moon occurrence. To do it three days in a row? Colossally unlikely. This is of course, overlooking the fact that your average family of seven could not find a movie all five children will find equally entertaining, since it's irrelevant to the cost factor.

Furthermore, you are directly punishing families for not having a lot of children. Your own family of ten would work out to only $39.90 a day, the Duggar family could get into this event for a little over $22 a person, a little over $18 if Josh were allowed to piggyback his clan into the overall family price (though IIRC, a VF family for this purpose includes only one generation).My math is off here, as I initially included both the 3 or 4 lost girls under six, and M&M, which would get in free by being under age six, and I'm sure if Michelle is a guest at the ladies tea again she probably gets discounts anyway. The point remains that you would have to tell a family of four to pay the cost of 2 movies and burger per day, thus punishing them A family of four gets a whopping $3.00 overall discount, and a family of 3 gets a surprising $102 off.

That is not even the final cost for this family. They must also secure accommodations. We can assume that their "of seven" might really be "of nine" or "of ten" or "of eleven", because those under six get in free. This is at least two, but more likely three hotel rooms at your recommended historic hotel, which adds up to another $255, not a small amount for a family already struggling with a $399 entry fee. Perhaps their "of seven" really is "of seven" because if there are two children over the age of six, they'll have to pay that much anyway, even still that's $170 for two rooms. The location of your conference makes it difficult to secure accommodations at a cheaper hotel, at least for a family with many children to wake early in the morning, because hotels in that area are not going to cost less than that.

Oh, but perhaps this family can do the whole thing for $198 plus the cost of a campground, if grandma lives nearby and can watch the kids while mom and dad go alone. Except, neglecting the fact they'd be socially lambasted for leaving the kids with her, this is also only if they can afford flying or gas. At a certain point gas will match or surpass flying (and at the cost of gas vs. a discount airfare these days, it's not a very far distance) and oh look, there goes the cost again. Plus if flying is cheaper you have to add a hotel or rental car, because a campground wont be in the city, so you can't take the bus to and from the event.

Finally, if I were hosting this event, I could do all you are doing and break even without charging even half what you are charging, because you will pay the same amount of money to your speakers whether 5 people attend or 350. Charge a fair amount, and then make VIP tickets available to those wealthy and prideful enough to pay it. A special VIP breakfast or a tshirt shouldn't cost more than one VIP ticket, leaving the other VIP tickets to pay for the rest of it. Then hold your event at, say, your church, which would cost you zero. And probably be closer to cheaper accommodations, since it's not in the touristy part of the big city.

But you are a tool so you care more about throwing fancy parties and looking good than the people you claim to serve and anyone can see this, so I don't expect any of these things actually matter to you.

Wait: He goes from this--

REVERSING TOXICITY. The milk you are giving your children may contain a cocktail of as many as 20 painkillers, antibiotics and growth hormones. Is this healthy? What impact are these hormones and drugs having on my children's bodies? What do I do about it. Come to the Reformation of Food and Family Conference.

to this--

Store bought un-organic milk may be imperfect but it grows healthy kids rather nicely. It was also part of a program that healed my body of a serious health concern. Sure I would love to get my milk straight from the cow or goat but cannot and will not for quite a long time.

I see a teensy beensy logic fail in there somewhere.

Doug Phillips is a tool.

Dear Doug: Most families of seven, especially those with likely the education level of a typical VFer, do not take their entire family out for a movie and a hamburger all at once. This is because, simply put: they can not afford it. They might take the birthday child, or go on a date, but all seven family members at once? That's a once in a blue moon occurrence. To do it three days in a row? Colossally unlikely. This is of course, overlooking the fact that your average family of seven could not find a movie all five children will find equally entertaining, since it's irrelevant to the cost factor.

All your arguments are really good, but I wanted to add something to this. Even if the family does once in a while go to a movie and out for a burger after, they'll do it once in a blue moon, not thrice in one weekend, and it probably won't cost them $20. A lot of cinemas do weekday afternoon showings at a discount, and kids' tickets are cheaper, too. It costs my partner and I roughly $8 each for afternoon showings, and ours are adult tickets. A burger only costs a couple of dollars, so all told it's closer to $10 pp than $20. This means the overall cost would be $70 for the entire weekend, not $400.

Doug's defensive answer:

I can't afford to buy my kids a movie ticket and a hamburger every day. Have I failed at VF Christianity?

$45 for tea is way too high. I can get a great high tea service at St. James tea room for $25.

I really don't have an sympathy for people complaining about the price of this event. Save your money people and take your kids to a museum. It's cheaper, more educational, and a better way to spend time with your kids.

I can't afford to buy my kids a movie ticket and a hamburger every day. Have I failed at VF Christianity?

Yes, but count your blessings.

Archived