IGNORED

Dougie on "Food Heresies"

GeoBQn

campbellsoup_campbell.jpg

Hey, I have that book on my cookbook shelf.... (For kitschy and sentimental reasons, I haven't ever used a recipe out of it.)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't even read that full food thread because he's so stupid.

It bears repeating: Doug is a major (useless) tool.

I do know that Salatin has a kind of summer internship program on the farm where he employs both men and women who want to learn more about his farming model. And the women do the same work as the men... so I'm not sure how that jives with his "traditional roles" ideas...

He only will allow 2 women, and that is only for the seasonal help, year round has no women. (and seasonal it is 6 men and 2 women.) polyfacefarms.com/apprenticeship/ Looks like a way to get cheap, legal workers.

I respect what he's done for sustainable farming in his area and increasing a general knowledge base. But I would never spend money to support his fundy endeavors.

This.

He only will allow 2 women, and that is only for the seasonal help, year round has no women. (and seasonal it is 6 men and 2 women.) polyfacefarms.com/apprenticeship/ Looks like a way to get cheap, legal workers.

:doh:

Our small organic sustainable farms, use the same integrated practices Joel uses. Except for the ones modeled after Joels operation, all support equal rights and progressive causes. If employees want to parlay their OTJ experiences and earn course credit owners work with the local Uni where they are respected to channel tasking into viable curricula. Many workers stay though their college years and move in the larger world of sustainable ag. Being good stewards isn't a biblical value to these farmers but a human value.

Geez, $400 for a weekend event? That is a bit steep. However, conferences are typically expensive to attend so I don't think VF is necessarily overcharging as compared to other conferences....just think they are emulating a more "genteel" version of fundiedom with their teas and costume parties. If they were more focused on encouraging and education large families, they would focus on making the thing as cheap as possible in order for large families to afford to attend.

Archived