IGNORED

What things do the Duggers use that they deny the science

doggie

I do wonder if the Duggars would support the use of medical ventilation. Let's say one of the kids breaks their neck at very high level and ends up a quadriplegic and needs a ventilator to breathe. I can sort of picture JB and MIchelle touting around their quadriplegic child around and denying the science of the ventilator. Another scenario, Boob or Mullet gets diagnosed with ALS and elects to go on a ventilator. Again they would probably say some bullshit how they are living with ALS because of God's will.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think the duggers believe in a flat earth or the sun goes around the earth. well we will never know till Michelle drops a stupid bomb over and over.

Do I even need to point out a lot of our nuclear tech came from Jewish scientists? Real jews, not jewier-than-thou wannabes.

Einstein? A Jew.

I don't think the duggers believe in a flat earth or the sun goes around the earth. well we will never know till Michelle drops a stupid bomb over and over.

Actually there was one reference to them believing that the sun did revolve around the earth. I'll attempt to dig it up today.

Actually there was one reference to them believing that the sun did revolve around the earth. I'll attempt to dig it up today.

god if they believe that then they are really wackadoodles. I want her to pop that little tidbit out on television. that would get some of the hard core followers.

I just don't understand why creationists work so hard to pull the wool over their own eyes, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. The world, and how ecosystems, and how our bodies and our brains work is so amazing, and I know a great many Christians who think that God gave us all of that, without the hubris of thinking they know exactly how he did it. I think Carl Sagan said it best:

In some respects, science has far surpassed religion in delivering awe. How is it that hardly any major religion has looked at science and concluded, "This is better than we thought! The Universe is much bigger than our prophets said, grander, more subtle, more elegant. God must be even greater than we dreamed"? Instead they say, "No, no, no! My god is a little god, and I want him to stay that way."

I just don't understand why creationists work so hard to pull the wool over their own eyes, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. The world, and how ecosystems, and how our bodies and our brains work is so amazing, and I know a great many Christians who think that God gave us all of that, without the hubris of thinking they know exactly how he did it. I think Carl Sagan said it best:

They are terrified of the science god. they are afraid any day that their god will be proven false. so it is better to hide and stick your fingers in your ears and deny and find anything that will prove science wrong. all the time using that same science to make their lives better.

This is so obnoxious. It is so easy to demonstrate the process of erosion:

LOXWqBoxPZM

:angry-banghead:

^This is exactly how I feel about that "large amount of water over a short period of time" BS. As a science student, fundie "science" makes me want to cry.

Oh boy, please do! That would make my day!

This unfortunately requires the Duggars to listen to reason or otherwise be logical. Because they are crazysauce, they will rationalize any contradiction you point out. I mean, when they run out of their BS sound bites about the population of the world fitting into Jacksonville, FL, they'll just say God makes it seem that way as a test but true believers have faith and know differently or something.

A friend of mine used to teach at a state college in Illinois. She assigned a small research paper on dinosaurs, mostly to see if the students could write a research paper. After class a student came up to her and said she couldn't write a paper on dinosaurs "because dinosaurs weren't real, the bones were put there by Satan to test our faith in God." :roll:

I don't think the Duggars see science as something at odds with their POV, because any technology that conflicts with their believes can be put into the "gift from God" category and that's the end of that.

Do I even need to point out a lot of our nuclear tech came from Jewish scientists? Real jews, not jewier-than-thou wannabes.

Einstein? A Jew.

That was why the Nazis rejected nuclear physics, and why the Allied, not the Axis powers got the A-bomb first. That's also why Andrew Schlafly, Ray Comfort and some other xian fundies stick to Newtonian physics, even though they don't frame it in such anti-Semitic terms.

So the Duggars can have their cars (Newton), but no GPS (Einstein).

Andrew Schlafly and some other anti-science wackos have developed this whole alternative (read fictional) Newton-based science of physics, because of course the Big Bang, Einstein's theories/ nuclear physics and now quantum physics blow the whole "6,000 YA Earth" out of the water. I don't know how much the Duggers actually know about the Schlafly-physics or any of the other weird creationist incarnations of this, but it seems to me that if you reject radiometric dating you are also rejecting the science behind nuclear power. Does Arkansas use nuclear energy? The Duggers will have to go off-grid if that's the case.

I can't think off the top of my head what other things you give up when you reject nuclear physics. Space Camp is out, of course, but no one thought the Duggers were going to be astronauts anyway, unless they were to be shot up like the dogs and monkeys in early Soviet craft.[

No no NO!!! It's bad enough when ordinary people garble science because they can't be bothered to look anything up, but to expect people not to accept the past hundred years of progress for the sole reason that it contradicts the Bible... It's an insult to the people who have dedicated their lives to producing the mountains of empirical data necessary to logically arrive at the truth about nature, and to all the other people who contributed the thousands of hours of brain work necessary to apply that logic and come up with theories knowing that they will probably be disproved.

Why is space camp out if you reject nuclear science? I thought nuclear-powered space flight was only in testing at the moment.

A friend of mine used to teach at a state college in Illinois. She assigned a small research paper on dinosaurs, mostly to see if the students could write a research paper. After class a student came up to her and said she couldn't write a paper on dinosaurs "because dinosaurs weren't real, the bones were put there by Satan to test our faith in God." :roll:

I don't think the Duggars see science as something at odds with their POV, because any technology that conflicts with their believes can be put into the "gift from God" category and that's the end of that.

Reading that just makes me want to curl up in fetal position, clutching "The Origins of Species", and whispering to myself that it'll all be all right. :cry:

One of my first "OMG-you're-insane moments" with the Duggars was that episode when they visit a geology park of some sort, and the ranger explains about dating fossils and such. They did a talking head with Jim-Boob, and he said he'd asked the ranger how they could date stuff, and that it was because they'd taken samples. He said that that was "circular reasoning", because apparently taking samples and dating them, means guessing at the initial age, and then dating everything else in accordance. Yeah, that's circular reasoning, if you have absolutely no effing clue about how it really works, and aren't interested in finding out!

Good grief, if I go by my logic alone, and didn't know anything else, the idea that the sky is a dome on top of a flat earth, makes an awful lot of sense. And if I refuse to acknowlegge anything else, then sure, everyone else is arguing in circles. That just makes me wilfully ignorant. If Boob actually studied geology and came back refuting everyone else's work reasonably, with scientific proof, we'd be talking Nobel-Prize material.

As it is, the mere fact that he's walking around on this planet is defying science. After all, Newton found out about gravity, and from what I recall, he wasn't too big on Christianity.

Why is space camp out if you reject nuclear science? I thought nuclear-powered space flight was only in testing at the moment.

Sorry, I should ammend that (it was about 3 am here when I wrote that). It's not spacecraft that are nuclear powered, it's that much of the science that enables space travel is post-Newton.

Been wondering about fundamentalist views on Relatively for a while. has any religious spokesperson ever come out against the Theory of Relatively? ie GPS again. Granted they can wiggle their arguments around evolution, the big bang and things that science indicates happened in the past, however do they categorically reject this? that they actually experience and utilize in real time? no pun ;)

I can see relatively being seen as a threat to omnipotence and stemming beliefs.

Been wondering about fundamentalist views on Relatively for a while. has any religious spokesperson ever come out against the Theory of Relatively? ie GPS again. Granted they can wiggle their arguments around evolution, the big bang and things that science indicates happened in the past, however do they categorically reject this? that they actually experience and utilize in real time? no pun ;)

http://www.conservapedia.com/Theory_of_ ... Relativity

GOOD GRIEF! How can people doubt relativity?

I haven't the moxie to ask my husband if he believes in relativity or not. I was already shocked to find out he doubts plate tectonics.

So let me get this straight:

1. the Duggars think the whole population of Earth can fit in Jacksonville

2. the Duggars think the world is 6000 years old and that evolution is a lie

3. the fundies think that relativity is not real

4. some fundies (?all) believe the sun revolves around the earth

5. the fundies believe that global climate change is a lie

wow, stupider than I thought

Don't forget all the belief in woo. All illness is caused by your negative emotions, and not eating enough whole grains!

The Duggars crack me up with all that nonsense about leaving how many kids they have up to god, but they're perfectly willing to let science save their preemie that wouldn't have otherwise lived. I'm all for saving innocent children, but isn't all that science disrupting god's will according to their beliefs? Or is it magically god's will that they have all this science in their hour of need.

They're hypocrites anyway. It's not leaving it up to god if you monitor, err, I mean have your daughters monitor your cycle with the intention of getting knocked up.

Wait, some morons still believe the sun revolves around the earth? WTF?!!! Wow, these people really do walk around with neutral zones around their heads.

Wait, some morons still believe the sun revolves around the earth? WTF?!!! Wow, these people really do walk around with neutral zones around their heads.

I don't think too many believe that or that the earth is flat. but there are some.

Archived