IGNORED

Poor Sarah (Maxwell)

terranova

I adored that story too. I *cough* reread the stories if I can't get to sleep sometimes. My favourite was the one where she found a hedgehog and went sledging.

I remember in the one where she went to sing carols they said they would do it for love, like God (another favourite story!) and there was a harvest one where they briefly mentioned giving gifts for God, but those are the only two I remember making direct references. The stories were initially published in the Children's Science Monitor.

Milly-Molly-Mandy felt real, and the world was so tangible. It was gentle and nothing big happened exactly but they weren't dull at all. None of it felt stifling.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous
I adored that story too. I *cough* reread the stories if I can't get to sleep sometimes.

I used to buy all my childhood favourite books "for my niece", when she was little. I seem to still have them on my bookcase and they are my guilty pleasure whenever I am in need of a couple of hours hiding away from the real world. Mardie by Astrid Lindgren is my all time favourite, followed by Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild.

You've read Mardie! By weird coincidence I was looking at that earlier, and I adore Ballet Shoes! My favourite Lindgren was Lotta - she was so wonderfully naughty and real! I was also very fond of Pippi!

Okay, ladies -- I have Ballet Shoes on VHS -- the old (what year was that????) edition that aired on PBS. I am the only person in my entire family that had any interest in it -- loved it! LOL! Now, where is that old box of VHS tapes, anyway......?????

The seventies version? It was on youtube once. My cover has a photo of Posy from it.

I read most of Streatfield's works but Ballet Shoes was by far her best one/

Guest Anonymous
You've read Mardie! By weird coincidence I was looking at that earlier, and I adore Ballet Shoes! My favourite Lindgren was Lotta - she was so wonderfully naughty and real! I was also very fond of Pippi!

I have both Mardie, or Madicken books in Swedish as well as English and practically could recite them to you. And I have been to Astrid Lindgren World in Sweden and met Pippi and seen inside her house! (OK, well a replica of it... :lol:). I loved Karlson on the Roof too, and the Bullerby Children (I so longed to be woken up with cake and hot chocolate on my birthday, as a child!) Lotta.... was she one of the Children of Noisy Village (Troublemaker Street in the US version?)

I think I am a lot older than you and you will probably have read the newer, re-released versions of some of the books? I noticed that there has been a new set of American English versions published, which I'd like to see. The early US translations censored the stories a bit: eg, whereas Abe Nilson's family was poor because his father drank too much, in the early US version, he "was lazy and slept all day", which made the books less gritty and real to me.

I have a lovely Swedish text called "Alla mina barn" or "All My Children", which has a chapter or story from each of Lindgren's characters. It is lovely, though my Swedish is a bit rusty - the Mardie chapters are the only ones where I can read them in any language because the illustrations just trigger a re-telling of the story in my head, as I remember it from being tiny.

I am in my early twenties but have old editions of the Lindgren books which are translated into British English - Abe's dad drinks in my copy! I bought the copy of Lotta I has as a child last year (my old literally fell to pieces from too much reading) and I had to search Amazon for the specific copy I had because the new editions have different translations (this is the one I had)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lotta-Young-Puf ... 229&sr=8-7

I sadly can't read Swedish but knew someone from Sweden at university and we bonded over Lindren :lol:

All My Children sounds like a lovely book, though I couldn't read it!

On that note, I am going to bed, where I will read Mardie and Milly-Molly-Mandy!

Here's the thing. The fundie courtship model is working absolutely perfectly for the royalty Patriarchs. They get to find meek wives for their sons so they get grandkids, but they also get to keep their adoring daughters around forever. The daughters become attractive young ladies right around the time that the Patriarch's wives start aging. And these are daughters who have been trained since birth to literally worship their fathers. The Botkins are the perfect example of the daughters replacing the wives in all ways except sex, but you see it to some extent with most of the royalty. Jim Bob has 5 young women who dote on him and cater to his every whim without a moment of hesitation. Why would he ever give that up? He still gets to expand his empire through his sons. Letting daughters get married is strictly for the poorer Patriarchs who can't afford to support them long-term. They all strive to be royalty so they can afford to keep their daughters at home, worshiping them forever.

The really sad thing about Sarah is that she actually thinks her dad would let her get married in a year or two. I bet every year she tells herself that it will just be another year or two, but we all know that Steve will never ever let it happen. She'll be at home cooking his meals and washing his clothes and bringing in money forever.

Insightful. I think you're on to something. It's back to emotional incest. Ick.

Here's the thing. The fundie courtship model is working absolutely perfectly for the royalty Patriarchs. They get to find meek wives for their sons so they get grandkids, but they also get to keep their adoring daughters around forever. The daughters become attractive young ladies right around the time that the Patriarch's wives start aging. And these are daughters who have been trained since birth to literally worship their fathers. The Botkins are the perfect example of the daughters replacing the wives in all ways except sex, but you see it to some extent with most of the royalty. Jim Bob has 5 young women who dote on him and cater to his every whim without a moment of hesitation. Why would he ever give that up? He still gets to expand his empire through his sons. Letting daughters get married is strictly for the poorer Patriarchs who can't afford to support them long-term. They all strive to be royalty so they can afford to keep their daughters at home, worshiping them forever.

The really sad thing about Sarah is that she actually thinks her dad would let her get married in a year or two. I bet every year she tells herself that it will just be another year or two, but we all know that Steve will never ever let it happen. She'll be at home cooking his meals and washing his clothes and bringing in money forever.

This is SO TRUE. It is working perfectly fine for Daddy. He emotionally replaces a middle aged wife with beautiful young women who shave him, cut his hair, fix his TTC, cater to him, laugh at his stoopid jokes, and in the case of the Botkins and Vodie's family, become his intellectual companions as well. For the Daddy who is financially able to keep his darling daughters at home, what's not to love? As bananacat says, only the poor man who is struggling must marry off the mouth to feed.

For all that sucks in my life, I am beyond grateful and would thank any god on my knees for not giving me a family like the Maxwells to waste away in. I'd rather struggle, fight, be broke, underemployed, be divorced, everything than live like that.

Whenever my life is getting too hard and complicated and overwhelming, I just read a Sarah post and I can always find a way to be thankful for the life I'm living. It could be so - so - much worse. It could be like Sarah's.

If Sarah doesn't grow and experience life neither can her characters.

What about when one of the Moody girls reaches courting age? If Sarah could write about that she could continue the series and hold the attention of her original readers as they grow up. The original books will still be there for new younger readers. Harry Potter fans grew up with the characters in the books and it was a hugely successful strategy for helping the readers identify with each book.

God could help her spread her message much more successfully by allowing her to have a life that she could draw on for her writing, even if it is a traditional fundy life leading to more traditional fundy books. She doesn't have to stay a child and keep writing for children.

I'm sure a Moody courtship/ wedding/ baby series would be popular with SAHDs who grew up in the original books, and their parents would buy it trusting that it would contain nothing inappropriate or fun.

Poor Sarah. She believes she is still a SAHD at age 30 because God wants her to continue to do such great work writing the Moody series. As if marriage would prevent writing? I feel so sorry for her. I can't see her ever leaving of her own accord because life outside is SINFUL. All sorts of evil lurks in the world, just waiting to tempt her. Besides, how could she support herself even if she wanted to leave? She has a limited education and no job training to speak of. I wonder if she gets to keep any of the money from the sales of the Moody books. Anna and Mary are probably looking at Sarah and dreading the future.

No job training, but she does actually have more than a little business experience. The post made on her birthday practically read like a resumé. She does have real life work experience. Alas, Steve would be her only reference which is no reference at all. But, seriously, if I had a job to give her that involved the sort of behind the scenes stuff that was listed in that post I'd give it to her in a heartbeat.

Sarah would have a hard time getting a real job herself. She has no education, no job experience and she's so sheltered it would hard for her accept diverse co-workers. I feel sad for her in that once her parents die, she'll be forced to move in with a brother. How horrible to spend the rest of one's life living in someone else's home, caring for someone else's children and being treated like a minor child. The fundie culture is not designed with single adult children in mind.

I often wonder what fundies think about single, childless adult children with no siblings or no brothers. Those women would be dependent on non-family members to support them. Whose headship would they count on once dad is gone?

I'm surprised that it's been up for a day and that there are no comments yet. I almost feel tempted to leave one.

Who knows? Maybe there were comments but they didn't get past Steve?

I wish there was some way to give Sarah some helpful advice or (yes) encouragement that Steve would actually let her read.

She probably won't ever get a chance to try out any Pearl Jam either :whistle:

She'd probably think it's some exotic sandwich spread.

Oh man, in between viewings of my favorite trash (My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding), I saw an episode of Say Yes to the Dress, Atlanta and saw a 45 year old virgin! The husband looked to be in his early 50's. Hope he got some Viagara from his best man, because they didn't say HE was waiting, and most men are well on the decline at that age - without a little help from their little blue pills.

If she can't have kids due to peri or full-on menopause, maybe Mullet can loan out a few of hers; sounds like they're cut from a lot of the same cloth (although I think the virgin bride picked a strapless gown).

Oh man, in between viewings of my favorite trash (My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding), I saw an episode of Say Yes to the Dress, Atlanta and saw a 45 year old virgin! The husband looked to be in his early 50's. Hope he got some Viagara from his best man, because they didn't say HE was waiting, and most men are well on the decline at that age - without a little help from their little blue pills.

Rita Wilson of My Big Fat Greek Wedding was on Who Do You THink You Are tonight. This is a genealogy show for those of you who haven't seen it. Rita wanted to learn her father's story. It was a very sad story. He was from Greece. She learned for the first time that her Dad had been previously married. She learns she has a half brother. This wife died 3 days after childbirth from eclampsia. This was in 1945. Rita was so thrilled to learn she had a brother but then she learns he died at 4 months of age. At some point her father ends up in Bulgaria and is imprisoned as an enemy of the state. He escapes, which was very difficult to do. He makes his way to the United States. The biggest surprise of all was when Rita learns her father's half brother is still alive at 96. Their meeting is very emotional. He had saved a letter her father had sent to the family in 1952, in which he tells of his prison escape and journey to the U.S. A very moving story.

Who knows? Maybe there were comments but they didn't get past Steve?

I wish there was some way to give Sarah some helpful advice or (yes) encouragement that Steve would actually let her read.

They are not getting the amount of comments they used to. If you look back a couple of years, they received lots of comments.To date, even the Susannah post has received only 28 comments. It's a downward spiral. Less speaking engagements, less "followers", less products sold. It also means fewer opportunities for the kids to meet a potential spouse.

I'm SURE he opens her mail for her (like any other prison inmate). Can you imagine if some guy sent her a crotch shot photo? He's got to make sure that doesn't ever meet her virgin eyes.

Do you think she would respond to random letters?! Kinda weird to have letters from ppl you don't know ......

Do you think she would respond to random letters?! Kinda weird to have letters from ppl you don't know ......

Not so weird for authors. I understand she gets lots of mail from kids who enjoy her books, and probably more than her share from crazies considering there is a high percentage of them in the Maxwell's target audience.

Guest Anonymous

Not so weird for authors. I understand she gets lots of mail from kids who enjoy her books, and probably more than her share from crazies considering there is a high percentage of them in the Maxwell's target audience.

She has much-loved grandparents living next door who have not swallowed the kool-aid. And an Aunt and extended family who are conservative Christians without any of the Maxwell crazy. I'm sure she is not entirely sheltered from the outside world, but has 'chosen' at some level to let Daddy guard her heart for her. If letters got though, I think she would see them as coming from sad, lost people she should pray for.

I always want to adopt Sarah and have her come and live with me for a bit. I think she might like it.

For a start there would be loads of blokes interested in her. Nobody will push or pressure her into anything, and everybody will be respectful of her choices.

I could see her getting a wee job and enjoying the contents of our bookshelves, after the initial culture shock. She likes to read and we are big on books so...

I have no doubt that daddy Steve pre screens all her mail. He won't let her read the newspaper, why would he allow her to read mail with unknown content?

I also think that while she knows some basics of running a business, her experience is in a very limited environment with her father over her shoulder for everything. She knows her father's business world, not the real world. I don't think any of that experience could transfer to a real job. How could she possibly make decisions on her own or follow a business plan or policies?

She is useful to her father and his life and world and maybe to a man her father chooses for her. Outside that, she's got nothing.

Archived