IGNORED

Sermon from my minister that FJ will love

Guest geniebelle

no, just random(ish) from her ideas on purity balls... since her internet footprint is pretty huge (nothing kills anonymity like posting your entire family tree online), there are enough pics tied to her email address that i'm pretty confident she's a woman (albeit drinking the patriarchal kool-aid in regards to ideas around sex and race, yet 'liberated' enough to use some pretty nasty language when out of earshot of her church friends)

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous

Is there a reason behind this name?

Personally, I'm getting a very faint inkling "she" may actually be a "he".

I don't think so, valsa. If you plug her public e-mail into facebook search, you get a woman's page that seems legit to me. She's just a horrible person.

no, just random(ish) from her ideas on purity balls... since her internet footprint is pretty huge (nothing kills anonymity like posting your entire family tree online), there are enough pics tied to her email address that i'm pretty confident she's a woman (albeit drinking the patriarchal kool-aid in regards to ideas around sex and race, yet 'liberated' enough to use some pretty nasty language when out of earshot of her church friends)

Can't win 'em all, I guess. Maybe I'm just trying to mentally protecting myself from having to admit someone like her is the same gender as I am.

I hear you, Valsa. It always exasperates/hurts more when the hateful sexist idiot is also a woman.

Guest Anonymous
A bit off topic... But valsa, I have been wondering for a while: what movie/show is your icon from? *curious*

Not valsa, but since I'm a Whovian I can answer this one. It's the new series of Doctor Who from BBC.

A bit off topic... But valsa, I have been wondering for a while: what movie/show is your icon from? *curious*

It's from the show Doctor Who (the new version) The icon is my favorite character Rory (who is the best. boyfriend. ever) kissing his newborn daughter right before he makes a stand to fight an alien army who wants to take her away from her parents to raise her as a weapon.

Ha! Lissar ninja'd me.

Guest Anonymous

It's from the show Doctor Who (the new version) The icon is my favorite character Rory (who is the best. boyfriend. ever) kissing his newborn daughter right before he makes a stand to fight an alien army who wants to take her away from her parents to raise her as a weapon.

Ha! Lissar ninja'd me.

I'm sneaky! And seriously, how much do you love this scene? I get goosebumps every time. I also love "Ahh, ahhh, I was gonna be cool!" "Crying over the baby is very cool."

4I-efBSAUiY

Oh my. So, I'm taking a class on the history of the college I go to and the town it's in. I will not name my college directly because I'm a little paranoid about internet security and all that, but from the information I'm about to drop it's pretty easily googleable. It was the first college in the United States to grant a woman a bachelor's degree. The college decided to admit females to their institution, because they believed that women were just and intellectually and academically capable as men and that coeducation was mutually beneficial. Men learned more for having women in their classes and women learned more for having men in their classes. The founder of the college said that he supported coeducation because women were often misjudged and neglected educationally and otherwise by the society of the time. He also recognized the existence of male privilege. At the time is was considered crazy and radical.

That being said, they still wanted the women education at their institution to grow up and submit to their husbands and raise Godly children. For some reason they ignored the fact that most educated women would not be content with not being allowed to achieve their full potential. Also the local newspaper issued a position that the gist of was basically "We like to think we're really liberal and progressive, but women shouldn't vote." So, you know, not exactly a place where women were considered equal. Oh, my dear little college, making all the right decisions for all the wrong reasons (they also let people of color study at their institution from early on, at least partially due the financial considerations--aka potential sugar daddies---concerned).

But, hey, apparently my college's founders were more progressive in the 1830s than a lot of conservative Christians are today, because at least they respected the fact that women were capable of achieving great things. In the same environment and capacity as men. At least as far as education goes. It makes me feel better for some of the less cool things they did.

I'm sneaky! And seriously, how much do you love this scene? I get goosebumps every time. I also love "Ahh, ahhh, I was gonna be cool!" "Crying over the baby is very cool."

4I-efBSAUiY

My cat just gave me a dirty look for squealing.

Seriously, Doctor who? Give me The Boy Who Waited over the Doctor anyday.

I both at you on the back and kiss your cheek...even though I am not a hugged.

I'm not a hugger either, so I will take the pat and the cheek kiss!

:romance-grouphug:

About geniebelle: why you so pissy about this? srsly, this is a forum that snarks on complementarians. Did you think that we would fall over ourselves with praise because a church allows us to wear jeans while taking orders from teh menz?

Guest Anonymous

No of course I didn't. I just wanted to post that I saw a little bit of progress I saw when it comes to other conservative Christian denominations and the patriarchal movement...that is all. I definitely wasn't looking for praise or a gold star for the outreach program I mentioned. That was mainly a preemptive strike when someone asked if women were deacons or elders in my, because I thought a simple no would lead to a round of snarking. Well, it did anyway and snowballed into this mess. After going back and re-reading everything in this topic, I realize my mistakes, and I'm ashamed of the things I said. As my final post in this thread, I sincerely apologize for starting this thread and everything I said after. I was wrong and fully realize that. I have a great respect for FJ for your stance on quiverfull, patriarchy, Gothard/ATI, Vision Forum, etc. I know my opinions on some subjects are very different than most, but from this point forward, I promise not to start anything like this again. Again, I'm sorry. Can you forgive me for the terrible way I acted?

Can you forgive me for the terrible way I acted?

1) You are a grown ass adult. What the fuck are you begging forgiveness for?

2) You've apologized before and gone on to do the same thing again. Don't expect many people to swallow that shitburger with the smile.

snipped throwing the dummy out of the cot...

You are missing the entire point.

The fact that your church has to tell people these things speaks volumes. Your church shouldn't have to tell people that patriarchy is shite. It should be fact. Hell it IS fact.

But even though they do tell people that patriarchy is shite, they are still only paying lip service to equality. Women don't lead in your church, you said that yourself. You don't have female pastors, why? You have women in charge of female related things like women's groups, child care, Sunday school? Why? Why can't women be in charge of things that affect men too?

Ask your pastor what he would advise a woman to do if her husband was beating the crap out of her. If he says divorce his ass into next week then he gets a thumbs up. If he starts speaking of giving conciliation counselling, of church discipline or of placing the responsibility on the woman in any shape or form, run. Very fast, as far away from that church that possibly can. Because if that is the case then your church is patriarchy in a pretty bow.

Ha, I'd been looking at valsa's pic for ages without noticing what it was ;-)

"oh, don't give me those blank looks"

No of course I didn't. I just wanted to post that I saw a little bit of progress I saw when it comes to other conservative Christian denominations and the patriarchal movement...that is all. I definitely wasn't looking for praise or a gold star for the outreach program I mentioned. That was mainly a preemptive strike when someone asked if women were deacons or elders in my, because I thought a simple no would lead to a round of snarking. Well, it did anyway and snowballed into this mess. After going back and re-reading everything in this topic, I realize my mistakes, and I'm ashamed of the things I said. As my final post in this thread, I sincerely apologize for starting this thread and everything I said after. I was wrong and fully realize that. I have a great respect for FJ for your stance on quiverfull, patriarchy, Gothard/ATI, Vision Forum, etc. I know my opinions on some subjects are very different than most, but from this point forward, I promise not to start anything like this again. Again, I'm sorry. Can you forgive me for the terrible way I acted?

If you are genuine, then yes I do. Can't speak for the hive vagina though.

That's the thing about patriarchy; it can be blatant as it is with many of those we snark about or it can be insidious as it is in churches like yours. I think that insidious patriarchy can be more dangerous than blatant because at least with Vision Forum et al you get what it says on the tin. When it is insidious it can be passed off as progressive when in reality it is far from that. Take a good look at your church then ask yourself why aren't women leading.

Based on some of her other posts this week, I suspect she also confuses the terms public and private in regards to women's uteruses... :roll:

Sorry, Cant resist the pun

Are you sure shes not mixing up public and pubic?

SODRT fail

Ha! Lissar ninja'd me.

I can't believe I never realised that was what it was! I flipping LOVE Amy and Rory! I feel bad for Rory, he always gets the short end of the stick.

I love this clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx6IymwUOXA

(don't know how to embed).

/derailing thread.

I love Amy and Rory too. And Matt Smith's Doctor is fabulous. I was a bit ho-hum about Doctor Who until halfway through the David Tennant series, but I've adored the last couple of ones. My partner is amused that now I yell at the TV at those cliffhanger episodes because I can't possibly wait a whole week until the conclusion. I've started again with the Christopher Eccleston eps and loving them even more now.

/derailed thread a little bit more.

If you are genuine, then yes I do. Can't speak for the hive vagina though.

That's the thing about patriarchy; it can be blatant as it is with many of those we snark about or it can be insidious as it is in churches like yours. I think that insidious patriarchy can be more dangerous than blatant because at least with Vision Forum et al you get what it says on the tin. When it is insidious it can be passed off as progressive when in reality it is far from that. Take a good look at your church then ask yourself why aren't women leading.

I haven't been here long enough to see previous apologies, and I've got no beef with you. Perhaps this sermon really was progress for your church or the churches around you. In other places, this all played out 30 years ago, so many of us know that this sermon is patronizing and dangerous. It's a forum; we discussed it.

Maybe you'll be more critical of shit in a bow in the future. Maybe not, and you'll get bitched at a lot around here, but that's not the rarest occurrence we'll see all week.

First of all, as I stated it wasn't my intention to come across as all awesome. It was meant as a statement that conservative Christians are coming around if only by a little. And when asked about female leadership in my church I just wanted to point out that what we do is just as important as the church leadership because I anticipated a simple "no" would lead to further pointless debate, and apparently that backfired. From there, the whole thing just snowballed. I issued an apology and I sincerely meant it.

Second, I'm really not here to make friends so to speak. I'm just as disgusted by the patriarchal/quiverfull movement as others are and wanted to join in on the snark as I feel both movements are dangerous and are more than worthy of snarking about. Yes, I am conservative and pro-life, so my feet are firmly planted on that side of the fence. The "buts" are my way of saying that while I may be conservative, mostly Republican, pro-life I don't lack compassion or de-mean anybody who doesn't share my beliefs. Maybe that's hard for some people to understand, but I certainly don't call it having one foot on each side of the fence. Furthermore, if I recall correctly, I have seen other FJs point out that they are conservative and pro-life. As for the purity ball comment, I was trying to imply how icky and sexist they are. So, apparently I'm not doing a good job expressing myself, and I need to work on it.

If anything I write is coming across as ignorant and offensive, then all I can say is right back at you. A lot of things I read here sound that way. But I know this is a snark board and that's what they are by nature. I fully knew that before I registered. I also fully expected to be eaten alive when my posts and replies were disagreed with, which has happened many times already. And guess what? I'm still here, and I don't plan on going away unless the moderator chooses to ban me. So snark away and pick apart everything I post.

Just read this whole thread and you have done a pitiful job at being a Christian. I hope you really are ashamed of your actions.

As for the bolded, do you think women who have had abortions killed their babies? Because if you do, being called a baby killer is pretty darn demeaning. If you don't think they are baby killers, why are you against abortion. And as for the compassion part, have you read treemom's abortion story? If no, search and find it.

What are you apologizing for, Geniebelle? Do you think you actually offended anyone? This thread has been hilarious! Thank you for the entertainment.

I'm not insulted by your outbursts or your mooning smiley, anymore than I would be offended by something a toddler screamed during a tantrum.

Guest Anonymous
What are you apologizing for, Geniebelle? Do you think you actually offended anyone? This thread has been hilarious! Thank you for the entertainment.

I'm not insulted by your outbursts or your mooning smiley, anymore than I would be offended by something a toddler screamed during a tantrum.

:P :P :P

Nothing to forgive.

Credibility lost forever, though..... :lol:

Archived