IGNORED

Sermon from my minister that FJ will love

Guest geniebelle

Guest Anonymous

Paraphrasing here, but in a nutshell he basically he said this:

* Told the men in the congregation to treat every woman in their lives the way they would want their mother, wife, or daughter treated and to raise their sons that way.

* To control their urges...a righteous man doesn't rely on the woman to control his urges for him.

* A righteous man does not treat his wife like a slave. She is his partner & should be treated that way.

* Decisions that affect the family should be discussed together.

* When angry, take a deep breath, back away from the issue, and discuss it again when calmer.

WOW! I thought every woman in the congregation was going to stand up and applause! And all of this was coming from a man in his 70's who is a minister of a fairly conservative denomination in the rural South.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find it a sad state of affairs when preaching the obvious is worthy of a standing ovation.

Seriously.

When I went to church, no one ever had to preach about treating your partner with respect, because that's what decent people already do.

Maybe I'm nit picking, but he says that men should discuss all family matters with their wives. O.k, sounds good. But why do I get the feeling the second part of that sentence is, "and then you men make the final decision."

Guest Anonymous
Paraphrasing here, but in a nutshell he basically he said this:

* Told the men in the congregation to treat every woman in their lives the way they would want their mother, wife, or daughter treated and to raise their sons that way.

* To control their urges...a righteous man doesn't rely on the woman to control his urges for him.

* A righteous man does not treat his wife like a slave. She is his partner & should be treated that way.

* Decisions that affect the family should be discussed together.

* When angry, take a deep breath, back away from the issue, and discuss it again when calmer.

WOW! I thought every woman in the congregation was going to stand up and applause! And all of this was coming from a man in his 70's who is a minister of a fairly conservative denomination in the rural South.

I don't get why any of this should be directed at men about women. Why not preach to the whole congregation about treating other people with respect? If indeed they don't already know the obvious, having been taught it from birth.

Don't get on the internet until you are paying for it (and your roof) yourself from your full time job. Don't get on the FreeJinger site ever.

Quit.

Fucking.

Talking.

Guest Anonymous

I don't get why any of this should be directed at men about women. Why not preach to the whole congregation about treating other people with respect? If indeed they don't already know the obvious, having been taught it from birth.

I agree wholeheartedly, but unfortunately people still don't get it! This was preached to the whole congregation, and was only part of the overall sermon this morning. This part IMO was in response to a topic that came up during a meeting of the deacons and elders about the concerns they have about the growing patriarchal movement. My uncle is a deacon in our church & I overheard him mention things discussed in that meeting. So, I'm assuming that had something to do with it.

Because it's just so darn noble and adorable when men point out the fucking obvious about how women should be treated.

Guest Anonymous

I agree wholeheartedly, but unfortunately people still don't get it! This was preached to the whole congregation, and was only part of the overall sermon this morning. This part IMO was in response to a topic that came up during a meeting of the deacons and elders about the concerns they have about the growing patriarchal movement. My uncle is a deacon in our church & I overheard him mention things discussed in that meeting. So, I'm assuming that had something to do with it.

If the people don't get it, you need to forget giving the preacher a standing ovation and run, not walk out of the door....

I'm curious, are any of the deacons and elders at your church women?

Yes, in spite of my snarky comment, I appreciate that this is being preached. I SHOULD be obvious, but, unfortunately, it's not, and even more unfortunately, some people can't do anything unless Jesus tells them to do it.

Guest Anonymous

I'm curious, are any of the deacons and elders at your church women?

No, but women do teach Sunday school/Bible study, prepare Communion, and lead Ladies groups (where lectures on being a good submissive helpmeet aren't even remotely discussed), and lead some of our outreach programs. Recently, we have even pooled our resources to help single mothers by offering free childcare, free clothing, etc. regardless of race or background, and no church attendance required. So, while women may not have leadership roles in the church, the things that we do are just as important, if not more so. I'm not saying all of this to brag, but to point out the important things we do.

No, but women do teach Sunday school/Bible study, prepare Communion, and lead Ladies groups (where lectures on being a good submissive helpmeet aren't even remotely discussed), and lead some of our outreach programs. Recently, we have even pooled our resources to help single mothers by offering free childcare, free clothing, etc. regardless of race or background, and no church attendance required. So, while women may not have leadership roles in the church, the things that we do are just as important, if not more so. I'm not saying all of this to brag, but to point out the important things we do.

ah, the separate spheres defense. this should be good.

No, but women do teach Sunday school/Bible study, prepare Communion, and lead Ladies groups

So... women are in charge of kids, food, and other women?

Wow, no wonder you think this guy sermon was exceptional.

Guest Anonymous
Recently, we have even pooled our resources to help single mothers by offering free childcare, free clothing, etc. regardless of race or background

Wow. You help black people. That's pretty radical. Maybe I will love your minister after all. :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Black people AND not-the-right-kind-of-Christians!

And little green people from Mars if they need it! I guess it's hard to wrap your head around the fact that there are churches out there who actually help people....ALL PEOPLE without brow-beating them or shaming them! Not because it's the Christian thing to do, because it's the HUMAN thing to do.

Guest Anonymous

No, I am stunned that you pat yourself on the back for doing a small part of what other human beings have been doing for other human beings for a very long time already.

How could you possible shame someone for being black anyway? :?

No, I am stunned that you pat yourself on the back for doing a small part of what other human beings have been doing for other human beings for a very long time already.

How could you possible shame someone for being black anyway? :?

Exactly.

Well, if this is an epiphany to some people, then it's good they hear it. "Love" isn't exactly the word, but I don't hate it. My expectations have changed since I moved to a heavily evangelical state 10 years ago. Some people truly can't come to these conclusions without being told by Jesus.

Edited to be less of an intolerant bitch.

Guest Anonymous

Not patting myself on the back, just replying to the snarky comments that's all. Oh, by the way, you missed my green people from Mars phrase? Can I expect a snarky reply criticizing me for stereotyping people from Mars? :lol: :lol:

Archived