IGNORED

Sermon from my minister that FJ will love

Guest geniebelle

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm Unitarian, and our Sunday school kids make tee shirts to promote gay tolerance, but we don't have a parade about it.

Actually, they wore them in the gay pride march, so that's not exactly true...

But blacks? Wow.

Guest Anonymous

I made my original post thinking some might find what my minister said refreshing and as teeny little sign of progress from conservative Christians since things like that are rarely said from the pupit, especially the more conservative ones. I was mistaken, and I'm sorry. Also, my comments afterwards came across as bragging and childish. Again, my mistake, and I'm sorry.

Recently, we have even pooled our resources to help single mothers by offering free childcare, free clothing, etc. regardless of race or background, and no church attendance required.

Holy shit!! You mean you are actually willing to allow people to have clothes on their back regardless of race ?!?! That is some crazy motherfucking forward liberal thinking right there!! WOW!!!

Wait, I mean, there has to be SOME catch! You mean that if an Asian woman, an Aboriginal woman, a Black woman, a Latina woman and a white woman all asked to have clothes to cover their bodies, you and your super amazing friends would just go and let any one of those woman have your leftover clothes?!?

Even the Latina?!?

Wow. Wow.

You have literally blown my mind.

I made my original post thinking some might find what my minister said refreshing and as teeny little sign of progress from conservative Christians since things like that are rarely said from the pupit, especially the more conservative ones.

There's a really easy way to get progress from conservative Christians- drop the "conservative" part. It's kind of the antithesis of "progress".

As for being refreshing... I guess if the head of the KKK came out tomorrow with a statement of “Well, we’ve decided that not all Negroes are lazy, stupid, and bringing down white societyâ€, it would technically be progress. Not that refreshing though.

Geniebelle, when Jesus sat down and talked with the woman from Samaria, he sat down and talked with the woman from Samaria. He didn't brag about it on the internet.

Keep feeding and clothing the needy. It's what he wants. Stop talking about it. You're just fanning the flames, I'm afraid.

Yes, I said regardless of race or background and there's no catch.

Listen, you're not going to win any friends here with your current attitude. No one is in shock or awe at your awesomeness for not discriminating based on race when you hand out clothes (I find the insane part that you thought that was worthy of specifying).

I am trying to be patient with the fact that you're clearly standing with one foot on either side of the fence trying to decide whether you want to be liberal or conservative (I'm pro-life, but...., the problem with purity balls is that they don't have them for boys too, etc, etc). But at the end of the day, I'm not a patient person, and what you are posting here is just a bad mix of ignorance and offensiveness right now.

Guest Anonymous
Geniebelle, when Jesus sat down and talked with the woman from Samaria, he sat down and talked with the woman from Samaria. He didn't brag about it on the internet.

Keep feeding and clothing the needy. It's what he wants. Stop talking about it. You're just fanning the flames, I'm afraid.

I get what you're saying, and have apologized.

valsa- stuff she's written in other places on the internet. posting a link to an article about purity balls, and then asking the big 'liberal' question of why they only have purity balls for your daughters, not your sons.

valsa- stuff she's written in other places on the internet. posting a link to an article about purity balls, and then asking the big 'liberal' question of why they only have purity balls for your daughters, not your sons.

The first ten seconds of this now accurately describes my feelings towards any past, present, or future opinions displayed by geniebelle.

oghBXKHWcyw

even just on FJ she has a lot of comments I would consider incredibly offensive based on race, social status, etc amongst other things. Defending the ultrasound requirements bill that was discussed here earlier today, etc.

e.g.:

As far as I'm concerned "welfare queens" are a group all to themselves. They disgust me! I work my ass off & part of my pay check goes towards their welfare so they can sit on their lazy asses and do nothing but breed like rabbits, stay on welfare for generations...

If that's offensive or stereotyping, then oh well. I just call 'em like I see 'em.

Just check her history. Most of hte threads are recent where multiple FJers are banging their heads at some of her fuckwittery.

Ha! I suck at names so I forgot she was the half wit that can't tell "public land" from "private land" in the Freedom From Religion thread.

Based on some of her other posts this week, I suspect she also confuses the terms public and private in regards to women's uteruses... :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Listen, you're not going to win any friends here with your current attitude. No one is in shock or awe at your awesomeness for not discriminating based on race when you hand out clothes (I find the insane part that you thought that was worthy of specifying).

I am trying to be patient with the fact that you're clearly standing with one foot on either side of the fence trying to decide whether you want to be liberal or conservative (I'm pro-life, but...., the problem with purity balls is that they don't have them for boys too, etc, etc). But at the end of the day, I'm not a patient person, and what you are posting here is just a bad mix of ignorance and offensiveness right now.

First of all, as I stated it wasn't my intention to come across as all awesome. It was meant as a statement that conservative Christians are coming around if only by a little. And when asked about female leadership in my church I just wanted to point out that what we do is just as important as the church leadership because I anticipated a simple "no" would lead to further pointless debate, and apparently that backfired. From there, the whole thing just snowballed. I issued an apology and I sincerely meant it.

Second, I'm really not here to make friends so to speak. I'm just as disgusted by the patriarchal/quiverfull movement as others are and wanted to join in on the snark as I feel both movements are dangerous and are more than worthy of snarking about. Yes, I am conservative and pro-life, so my feet are firmly planted on that side of the fence. The "buts" are my way of saying that while I may be conservative, mostly Republican, pro-life I don't lack compassion or de-mean anybody who doesn't share my beliefs. Maybe that's hard for some people to understand, but I certainly don't call it having one foot on each side of the fence. Furthermore, if I recall correctly, I have seen other FJs point out that they are conservative and pro-life. As for the purity ball comment, I was trying to imply how icky and sexist they are. So, apparently I'm not doing a good job expressing myself, and I need to work on it.

If anything I write is coming across as ignorant and offensive, then all I can say is right back at you. A lot of things I read here sound that way. But I know this is a snark board and that's what they are by nature. I fully knew that before I registered. I also fully expected to be eaten alive when my posts and replies were disagreed with, which has happened many times already. And guess what? I'm still here, and I don't plan on going away unless the moderator chooses to ban me. So snark away and pick apart everything I post.

Guest Anonymous

And that makes me a liberal...how exactly? Or do you seem to be of the mindset that assumes all conservative Christians hold purity balls, follow gurus like Gothard, are submissive helpmeets, breed like rabbits, etc.?

Guest Anonymous

Ah, I see somebody found my Facebook page. It's still up and will remain up. The only things that will be "private" are things meant only for my friends and family to see. I'm sure y'all will find it very boring and me crazy, but have fun reading through it anyway.

No, but women do teach Sunday school/Bible study, prepare Communion, and lead Ladies groups (where lectures on being a good submissive helpmeet aren't even remotely discussed), and lead some of our outreach programs. Recently, we have even pooled our resources to help single mothers by offering free childcare, free clothing, etc. regardless of race or background, and no church attendance required. So, while women may not have leadership roles in the church, the things that we do are just as important, if not more so. I'm not saying all of this to brag, but to point out the important things we do.

Ah the old separate but equal chestnut! You know, 50 years ago in the Southern USA states, separate but equal was used to ensure no black people used white bathrooms, black people sat at the back of the bus and went to separate schools.

First of all, as I stated it wasn't my intention to come across as all awesome. It was meant as a statement that conservative Christians are coming around if only by a little. And when asked about female leadership in my church I just wanted to point out that what we do is just as important as the church leadership because I anticipated a simple "no" would lead to further pointless debate, and apparently that backfired. From there, the whole thing just snowballed. I issued an apology and I sincerely meant it.

Second, I'm really not here to make friends so to speak. I'm just as disgusted by the patriarchal/quiverfull movement as others are and wanted to join in on the snark as I feel both movements are dangerous and are more than worthy of snarking about. Yes, I am conservative and pro-life, so my feet are firmly planted on that side of the fence. The "buts" are my way of saying that while I may be conservative, mostly Republican, pro-life I don't lack compassion or de-mean anybody who doesn't share my beliefs. Maybe that's hard for some people to understand, but I certainly don't call it having one foot on each side of the fence. Furthermore, if I recall correctly, I have seen other FJs point out that they are conservative and pro-life. As for the purity ball comment, I was trying to imply how icky and sexist they are. So, apparently I'm not doing a good job expressing myself, and I need to work on it.

If anything I write is coming across as ignorant and offensive, then all I can say is right back at you. A lot of things I read here sound that way. But I know this is a snark board and that's what they are by nature. I fully knew that before I registered. I also fully expected to be eaten alive when my posts and replies were disagreed with, which has happened many times already. And guess what? I'm still here, and I don't plan on going away unless the moderator chooses to ban me. So snark away and pick apart everything I post.

Well, I don't know what you've written elsewhere, but this works for me. I don't come here to agree with everyone.

As for the role of women in your church: I'll side-step the other glaring issues for a moment to say that I agree with this sentiment: the things traditionally thought of as "women's work" have always been unfairly regarded as less important than traditionally male roles, and that's not true. Here's the thing:

It is still a crock of shit when men try show how evolved they are by saying, "We must value and respect women for doing these important God-given roles." I hear JB, Michelle and Smuggar say things like that all the time, and it's just infuriating. I do not have a God-given role. Saying that women should be respected in their roles as wives, mothers and generous charity organizers still indicates that women have no options, except to be wives, mothers and charity organizers. It is true that women should be respected in these roles, or in any other roles they choose.

But to get back to the original topic: I can't imagine this being preached in the Christian churches I've attended over the last 30 years, because this was already so evident to everyone that it would be insulting. That's not to say it wouldn't have been news at some churches in my area, but those churches were probably known to us for being 20 years behind the times (which is going on more like 40-50 years behind the times now).

Edited in memory of Gramma

Guest Anonymous

Ah the old separate but equal chestnut! You know, 50 years ago in the Southern USA states, separate but equal was used to ensure no black people used white bathrooms, black people sat at the back of the bus and went to separate schools.

I see you're point. I don't agree with it, but I see it. Oh, and thanks for the refresher course in American History even if it is comparing apples to oranges.

No, it's not comparing apples to oranges. Not at all. There are some fundamentalists who see women as unequal but they wrap it up as separate but equal. These people don't feel that women should vote, that they should submit to men, that they cannot lead, that they should not be educated and they should never, ever have control over their own bodies. It's discrimination against women wrapped up in biblical wrapping paper and these same people were the ones who used that same book to discriminate against blacks 50 years ago.

Argument of segregationists (when others were listening, anyway): Black people are equal but have distinctly different roles from white people in society.

Argument of complementarians (when others are listening, anyway): Women are equal but have distinctly different roles from men in society.

It's not comparing apples to oranges, geniebelle. It is comparing discrimation based on irrelevant physical characteristics to discriminate based on irrelevant physical characteristics.

I am a little tired of people coming to freejinger asking for pats on the back because they were not assholes today.

It's not comparing apples to oranges, geniebelle. It is comparing discrimation based on irrelevant physical characteristics to discriminate based on irrelevant physical characteristics.

I am a little tired of people coming to freejinger asking for pats on the back because they were not assholes today.

Especially if they were an asshole today?

Archived