IGNORED

Remember Emily and Dna?

Nancy Drew

I have an old CA Victorian, with second floor windows that are fairly low, and what we were told is that when we replace the windows, if the top of the window sill is less than 18 inches from the ground, the window pane needs to be tempered glass (reduces the chances of someone falling against the window and having it give way). Our windows are right on the edge of that, including the ones in the nursery. We don't need the tempered glass in most of them, but it still gives me nightmares thinking about my baby climbing up and falling through a screen. So we're replacing the windows with double-hung so that they can be opened from the top for air, leaving the lower pane in place to prevent falls.

I don't know that I agree with the building code article about being concerned about low windows and changing the code to require higher ones. I actually really like the height of our windows (though furniture placement is a bit awkward) because they let in a lot of light and give the rather small rooms we have a much airier feel. I wouldn't want to replace them with smaller windows, even aside from the fact that it would ruin the character of the house to do so. They didn't feel dangerous to me until my daughter was born and between the tempered glass and using double-hung so we can secure the bottom pane when she's small, I think they'll be perfectly safe. Raising standard window height to 42 inches would make a normal house feel oppressively closed in, in my opinion, and kids could still climb on furniture and fall out. There is a difference between balconies, where the rail is the only thing stopping someone from falling, and windows, where the glass itself provides a protective barrier.

I've lived in a house built in the 20s or so, and it had a few windows in the living room that were even lower, maybe a foot or eight inches, and again, they didn't bother me, and instead were a feature I rather liked. It really did bring lovely light and views into the interior of the rooms. We have the technology to make these types of windows safer, and no matter how high you make a window, a determined child can put themselves in danger. A low window, but double-hung and secured on the bottom, seems far safe to me than a higher, smaller window but able to be opened from the bottom.

But of course, it's likely that Emily's slumlord didn't pay the extra for tempered glass and double-hung. It's spendy.

Aelar, I totally understand what you're saying. I'm a person who needs a lot of light in the house or else it just feels depressing. I also like how low windows look (when they aren't ugly like on some of the older houses here), but with kids, it makes me nervous, especially since I have a climber. But then, not everyone has kids, either. I don't think older, historical homes like yours should be changed, except to replace the glass to a safer one. I guess it all comes down to making your home safe for your family without having to do major structural rehauls.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How did your cousin fake not having dyslexia until college? That sounds incredibly exhausting and frustrating for your cousin.

snip..

I meant fake it, as in, the schools she was in weren't very good, so she was able to get by with what she could produce. She didn't realize anything was wrong, and most of my cousins have problems in reading and writing. In college, she majored in education, and they discovered it then. She teaches special ed now, and loves it.

My sister had early intervention because I read freakishly early, so it was really obvious there were issues. My mom is a hairdresser, and knows EVERYONE, which included a retired school teacher who recognized the issue and did a bunch of one on one work with my sister.

I meant fake it, as in, the schools she was in weren't very good, so she was able to get by with what she could produce. She didn't realize anything was wrong, and most of my cousins have problems in reading and writing. In college, she majored in education, and they discovered it then. She teaches special ed now, and loves it.

My sister had early intervention because I read freakishly early, so it was really obvious there were issues. My mom is a hairdresser, and knows EVERYONE, which included a retired school teacher who recognized the issue and did a bunch of one on one work with my sister.

Oh, I see. I'm glad your family finally got some help! It must have been incredibly frustrating for them before they had any kind of intervention. Did your mom get any help, too? Or is she of the mindset where she thinks she's "too old" for any help now?

You know it's a truly epic blog when it was discontinued almost two years ago and the material STILL hasn't gotten old. Every time I revisit a post or two I am still blown away.

You know it's a truly epic blog when it was discontinued almost two years ago and the material STILL hasn't gotten old. Every time I revisit a post or two I am still blown away.

Me, too. In a weird way I'm glad she didn't take it down because the crazy never fails to entertain me.

I remember calling bullshit on her "cheese sauce"... she said just mix a bunch of cheese and melt it with milk or water. That does not make cheese sauce. You need to make a white sauce first.

They are pretty much made by volunteers at all the houses,

When I was in college I was part of a service organization and one of the things we did was make food for Johns Hopkins Children's House, which is very similar to the RMH. We did a lot of pasta dishes with a salad. I can see how it wouldn't necessarily be the ideal food you'd want to eat but it's donated food.

She also would get really excited about that trailor/tv type house. She was also contemplating rennovating an old semi trailor into some sort of house, and living out in the country off the land.

This.

I have dog-daughters, not human-daughters - so it never occurred to me that my windows were too low. I just never thought about it. My windows are definitely too low - my house was built in 1913 and I swear I have original panes as most have a slight wave to them. I've always assumed the original paint was full of lead. I live in a deathtrap apparently.

I'm actually really disappointed that she is still "on the grid" interwebz wise. I had been hoping that she finally had enough of spreading the seeds of her crazy around and was living with her mom, eating veggies. Oh, I had dreams for them. Especially poor Dna.

Do we have any confirmation on their relationship status or where they are living?

"Dae of Dna" is still one of the funniest things I have ever read on the internet! To this day when I hear or read "so hungry" I LOL.

I miss Emily and Dna so much. She was at her nuttiest around the time that Candy hit her peak of crazy too. Ahhh...those were the days. lol!

"Dae of Dna" is still one of the funniest things I have ever read on the internet! To this day when I hear or read "so hungry" I LOL.

I miss Emily and Dna so much. She was at her nuttiest around the time that Candy hit her peak of crazy too. Ahhh...those were the days. lol!

Dae of Dna makes me die laughing every time I read it (Gizmola, you rock!). I can't resist copying and pasting it from the old board:

Dae of Dan by Dan

6:00am – waak up. Emiy tiping on computa.

6:30am – Emiy maks me brush teeth. Tooth fall out. Emiy says it okaay.

7:00am – et brekfist. I wante wafls. Emiy maaks turkee sasag. I git one pattee. Hungre.

7:30am – emiy heps me put on cloths. Tiyng shos iz hard.

8:00am – wrk. Cleen flors.

10:00am – Jo gvs me pice of gum. So hungree.

12:00pm – lnch. Emiy paked lnch. Too tortiias with pink salassa and tabespooon meat.Hungree.

3:00pm – go to skool. Leern abbot Jessus. I tink Jessus not as good as Spocck.

5:00pm – go home. Git lost. Whre is Emiy?

7:00pm – find home. Home smells bad.Hungree

7:30pm – eet dinner. I don’t lik piza from crokpot. I get one slise. Hungree.

8:00pm – wnt to wach Star Trek. Emiy says haff to read bible. Jessus boring.

8:30pm – have secs with Emiy. I don’t lik smel of lemin. Yuck. She kepes makng me eet mints.

9:00pm – Emiy makes me go to bed. She won’t let me wear Spock eers to sleep. Emiy meen.

12:00am – Chekk make shur Emiy asleep. Eet frozin apels, drink Tereese, finde tomatoe undur couch and eet it. Eet boul water and furmintd flower. Eet cheez from cockpit. Suc lemin in bathrum. Drink ketchup.

2:00am – Emiy gos to bathruum and catches me lickin crums from flor. Sed I can’t ware Spck eers four too weeks. I hate hur.

I love that he retweeted parts of it! At least she hadn't starved away his sense of humour.

Gosh, I forgot about the parody stuff. I admit I had a blast with the Under1000Braincells blog Areader and I did for awhile. Perhaps we should've continued it as a general fundy parody site. But truly, the steam died when E shut down the crazy. Sigh

I can't tell you how much I've enjoyed this thread, esp the Dae of Dna. I really wish I hadn't missed it...but keep reminiscing folks. It iz funey.

That was truly hilarious, and I didn't see it the first time around.

I really want more pictures of the squalor. I'm glutton for punishment I guess.

She also would get really excited about that trailor/tv type house. She was also contemplating rennovating an old semi trailor into some sort of house, and living out in the country off the land.

It got even better when Em decided a yurt would be the perfect home for her family. She planned to fold it up and move it from location to location as Dna moved from church to church. Does anyone remember how many kids she thought she could fit in the yurt?

Oh my goodness the Dae of Dna has me laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes. That was brilliant!

She was really obsessed with the tumbleweed houses before she got all yurted

I saved this status update from "Dan's" short-lived fake Facebook:

Mi tumy wantes too sing. soooo hapee to hav fud in it. not sur why emlee sayed fud at th clown hows mad are poops not cum out. emlee maks yucky fud. clown and piza hutt r gud.

CLOWN HOWS! HAHA I totally forgot about that!

I'm still wracking my brain trying to remember what his crazy, cryptic tiwtter update was. And yes, I am leaving that typo in there in honor (onner? ;)) of Dna.

Archived