IGNORED

Remember Emily and Dna?

Nancy Drew

Okay, I'm at work so I can't look at blogs. Can some one please tell me wtf a 'gloodle' is? I have an idea but I want to make sure I'm right. Also, this is OT but while I'm asking questions, what is a riffle?

A riffle means a typo :)

One of our fave bloggers used "riffle" meaning "rifle", and lo, the word sailed into the Land o' Lulz, where it has lodged for evermore.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't Em's "Sunday Ham" some other kind of pork product -- because she didn't like ham?

She used pork shoulder, but I think it was because ham was too expensive and not because she disliked ham.

Her crock pot pizza seemed like way too much work just to save a few pennies. I remember someone asking her how she would handle making larger quantities of pizza in the crock when she had more kids to feed and she replied that she was thinking of fashioning some kind of rack from wire coat hangers so two pizzas could be stacked in it. The hell? Just buy another crockpot secondhand if you're so insistent on not using the oven. Trying to cram enough pizza dough into one crock in order to feed half a dozen people is just crazy.

Is there a reason that Emily's husband is called Dna here?

He had amazingly poor writing and spelling skills, so much so that it was hard to understand what he said. Dna is a deliberate misspelling of Dan

Is there a reason that Emily's husband is called Dna here?

He misspells everything. And either he actually misspelled his own name once or we just joked about him misspelling his own name. And Lo, Dna was born.

My Em memory is her having the audacity to complain about the free and fine lodging and food at the Ronald McDonald house.

Gloodles -- She made her noodles with water & flour. Generally they're made with eggs and flour, plus a pinch of salt.

Does anyone remember a weird Twitter post that Dan made once? I'm trying to remember what he said but it was REALLY bizarre, misspelled, and we all were wondering what it meant for days.

Speaking of Dna and his typing skills, remember how Emily used to "type" all of his college papers, and the general consensus was that she was doing some pretty heavy editing and revising.

*sigh* The good old days! That yuku thread had my old UN on it. Em and Dna got me to sign up after too long lurking. I always wished it was made up, but the sad thing is it wasn't.

Therese, the kefir.... Memories!

Gloodles was Emily's homemade noodles... made with just wheat flour and water and she made them without a pasta machine. They looked a bit like lumpy wallpaper glue, so somebody on the old board renamed them gloodles instead of noodles.

I think she served them with a tablespoon of tomato sauce per person.

Found the recipe!

http://under1000permonth.blogspot.com/2 ... a-024.html

I went back and looked a Em's gloodles "tutorial" and found a glaring contradiction between what she told us and what she wrote. Whenever anyone suggested she add beans to her family's diet, she insisted THEY can't eat beans because SHE doesn't like beans. But her gloodle tutorial begins:

"I've just switched out my failing baked bean experiments with a beloved pasta dish in my two week menu rotation."

Sounds to me like they were eating beans on a regular basis. Maybe Em's family isn't allowed to eat beans because EM is a horrible cook and can't properly prepare them.

Emily didn't like rice, either. She complained that she didn't like the texture. Beans and rice - two of the easiest, cheapest things to make, and she didn't like either one. So that meant no one else got to eat them, either.

She did make that sprouted rice "oatmeal" for the kids after deciding that regular old oats were bad for some reason, though. I think she read ONE article that suggested the possibility of oats blocking absorption of some acid and ran with it.

Speaking of Dna and his typing skills, remember how Emily used to "type" all of his college papers, and the general consensus was that she was doing some pretty heavy editing and revising.

She also wrote all of his blog posts. We knew Dna couldn't put that kind of coherent thought together. I can't find his blog now, but it was interesting.

I do so miss all the crazy that is Emily. I have a special place in my heart for her because she's how I found FJ (googling random crazy shit she wrote)!

My favorite part is her abhorrance of her oven and her insistance that anything and everything can be made better, faster, and easier in a crock pot. I thought if she kept going that one of the kids was eventually going to end up sleeping in that damn crock pot.

I think Emily's crazy was known far and wide on the internet. Even my mom knew about her. LOL. She is like an internet legend.

I thought if she kept going that one of the kids was eventually going to end up sleeping in that damn crock pot.

At least they'd be warm!

Criticizing the Ronald McDonald house? Pfft. Stupid bitch. I had to stay in one a few years ago when my son became seriously ill while visiting relatives in another state. They were so kind, they made it so easy for me to focus on my son. At this hospital, they even had a suite on the pediatrics floor that was furnished like a normal apartment and had food, laundry facilities, a television, a shower... so you did not have to go all the way back across the street to the Ronald McDonald house to get shit done. I buy McDonalds food occasionally and now have no guilt at all. Such a great program.

Criticizing the Ronald McDonald house? Pfft. Stupid bitch. I had to stay in one a few years ago when my son became seriously ill while visiting relatives in another state. They were so kind, they made it so easy for me to focus on my son. At this hospital, they even had a suite on the pediatrics floor that was furnished like a normal apartment and had food, laundry facilities, a television, a shower... so you did not have to go all the way back across the street to the Ronald McDonald house to get shit done. I buy McDonalds food occasionally and now have no guilt at all. Such a great program.

She thanked them, and then proceeded to call the food they fed her crap

When I was there, the meals were brought in by volunteers. Some were not what I would personally make, but they were nutritionally complete and also it is very nice to come home to a hot meal made by someone else after a day in the hospital. I certainly would not complain.

Archived