IGNORED

Remember Emily and Dna?

Nancy Drew

When my now husband and I moved in together (THE SIN! THE HORROR!) our apartment complex forced us to upgrade to a bigger unit. His unit was 550 sq. feet and they told us it was against fire codes to have 2 people living in it. We had to switch to a 790 sq. feet place in the same complex.

Not that Emily seems to care about legalities... but even if the laws were more lax in her area... 4 people in that apartment!?!?!

Any more pictures or posts from her to share with a very bored librarian on a Sunday? I missed the Emily crazy train for the most part.

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's a post from her original blog talking about how many children she can stack like cordwood in her less than 500 sq ft apartment:

under1000permonth.blogspot.com/2009/09/large-family-little-home.html

(Sadly all the photos are removed, but it looks like there are some handy screen-cappers among us!)

Any more pictures or posts from her to share with a very bored librarian on a Sunday? I missed the Emily crazy train for the most part.

Here are a few that were all on the under1000braincells parody blog.

Here's one of the trike and slide hanging up on the wall in her boys' room:

room5

Another shot of all the crap on shelves above the crib:

room2

A shot of the doorway with an old sheet serving as the door:

room4

Another shot of the floor dress cheese:

cheese1

Dna and one of the kids sleeping in the "big" bedroom:

Smell+that!.jpg

Dna holding baby after home birth (those are the midwives):

49126dc5f524e6943c2c476f649c235bf15f2c4b.jpg

room4

OMG I have that clock. It makes bird noises. I love it.

I feel closer to Em now. LEAVE HER ALONE! 8-)

Re: her falling out of favour among the frugal SAHM crowd -- wasn't it also because it turned out they didn't actually live on <$1000? That was just some creative accounting where she "averaged" costs over a year by ignoring some pretty big expenses because they were "one offs"? Am I remembering right?

And also she deliberately made them poorer because their (lack of) income qualified Dna for a huge reduction of his Bible college tuition costs, and she chose to pay it all anyway because "we can afford it"?

Who knew I remembered so much about Emily.

I thought that I was getting an early birthday gift that she had started her blog again. Her blog got me through a very hard time in my life.

Re: her falling out of favour among the frugal SAHM crowd -- wasn't it also because it turned out they didn't actually live on <$1000? That was just some creative accounting where she "averaged" costs over a year by ignoring some pretty big expenses because they were "one offs"? Am I remembering right?

I think the $1000/month was after they already paid for Dan's college expenses, and didn't include their tax return, or something along those lines.

Thanks so much! My favorite is the computer keyboard on the wall. Is that a frugal busy box for the baby?

I think that was the idea. I was always worried about keys popping off and kids potentially choking on them.

How do people like Emily make it through life like this? You know not accidently killing their family from bacterial contamination or the kid getting hurt with that death trap shelf set up.

They rely on the kindness of strangers (who they resent and shit-talk.) In Emily's case, she first of all relied on the landlord/building code/neighbors using real light fixtures in their own bathrooms not to burn the place down around her ears or let her kids die of carbon monoxide or rat droppings or freezing - if she'd owned her own stand alone place, that's what would have happened.

But mostly she relied on the social safety net and medical science the rest of us pay for and develop over her objections. When her kid got mysteriously sick for days at a time and slipped into a coma, she took him to a hospital and stayed at Ronald McDonald House to be nearby him. And in return she talked shit about Ronald McDonald House's food and mentally discounted 75% of what the medical professionals told her.

I know that someone tracked down and called her landlord who was utterly appalled that they had three children in that apartment. The blog was sent to him as well. I bet that's the time they moved to another apartment.

So sad, FJ has completely ruined me. I looked at the pictures and the first thing that came to mind was, "At least the kids have more toys than ThatMom's." So many stages of crazy and far too many ways for fundies to neglect their kids aren't there?

I know that someone tracked down and called her landlord who was utterly appalled that they had three children in that apartment. The blog was sent to him as well. I bet that's the time they moved to another apartment.

Didn't it turn out he was a slum landlord who probably didn't give a shit? But once people knew he knew he probably felt he had to do something about it.

Reading some old (now deleted) posts from rantofdan reminded me of something - who was the blogger who's husband was struck by a bus coming home one day and she didn't care? He didn't go to a walk-in clinic or anything, just came home injured, told her what happened, and she just made him dinner and they went on their way. It was totally something Emily would do, but I don't think it was her - anybody remember who I'm talking about?

So sad, FJ has completely ruined me. I looked at the pictures and the first thing that came to mind was, "At least the kids have more toys than ThatMom's." So many stages of crazy and far too many ways for fundies to neglect their kids aren't there?

I thought the same thing! Granted I just un-lurked but I read all the TH stuff and other blogs, but I saw the toys and thought well at least she lets them play.

I found more photos! Someone on the old FJ had these photos saved in an album.

Dna and kids in bed:

em7.jpg

Baby in doorway of laundry room, er, I mean bedroom. It looks like there's bags of groceries on the floor behind him and Wonderwashed clothes draped over a drying rack.

macaroni.jpg

There are more pictures if you go to the album: http://s942.photobucket.com/albums/ad26 ... Under1000/

I'm so skeeved out by the sleeping bags and filthy blankets and pillow cases. Not to mention everything else! Under1000 is what brought me to FJ. :D

To be fair, most crib mattresses are not fabric (particularly the one she used). They are thick vinyl and you're supposed to use a crib mattress pad and then sheets. You know, all that stuff she never bothered with. So he probably wasn't sleeping on a pee-filled mattress necessarily, but it probably did stink because I doubt she wiped it off and disinfected it in the mornings. And it was probably super uncomfortable.

There was so much wrong with that woman...but what I remember clearly, aside from her death-trap decorating, was the extreme weight loss. In one picture Dna was slightly chubby, in the next he was skin and bones!

And yes, she did in fact refuse financial aide from the Bible College of the Dining Room Table because they could "afford" it...

Dna did lose a huge amount of weight pretty fast. I don't think she let him eat anything.

Reading some old (now deleted) posts from rantofdan reminded me of something - who was the blogger who's husband was struck by a bus coming home one day and she didn't care? He didn't go to a walk-in clinic or anything, just came home injured, told her what happened, and she just made him dinner and they went on their way. It was totally something Emily would do, but I don't think it was her - anybody remember who I'm talking about?

I think Dan got hit by a car walking to church and came home and told her and she did nothing.

Dna and kids in bed:

em7.jpg

I am pro co-sleeping but this is fucked up. You are never, ever supposed to have another young child sleeping next to a baby. Reduced wakefulness is how babies die co-sleeping and young children don't have that needed inherent wakefulness.

Em was careful to keep everyone hungry and weak, to better control them. I think she got larger potions. Did they ever eat protein, once?

Archived