IGNORED

I'd rather have a Prov. 31 woman than a Vicki's Secret model

MonkeyMomma

A friend of mine on Facebook posted this:

4WAFFMF4iZY

My response:

The radical feminist in me finds it problematic because it still frames a woman's worth in terms of her "wantedness" by a man. Dress it lingerie or scripture, patriarchy sucks.

I know the Free Jingers will tear it to shreds. Have at.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My immediate issue with this: It's obviously about looks vs. character qualities. It's not like that is exclusive and you just can have either one.

There are girls out there that might care about their appearance AND are great people, you know, Alex Eklund.

I think he's coming from a good place though. He wants to ensure girls it's not all about looks, or that's what I get from the video.

Arrogant, entitled shit. Don't tell me to 'be' anything for you - I am my own person and you can like it or lump it.

:clap:

Thank you. You hit on exactly the icky feeling I got from the video.

Gotta side with Annalea... I'd rather have the girls directed this way than the way the VS models would direct them - I'd rather my daughter was a P31 than a heroin junkie. But I'd REALLY rather that we didn't have a culture that sold her ANY way of being and just let her BE. However, we don't.

Yeah, he's arrogant. All those guys are. We've got a high school version of one here that I've known since he was a sproutling... and I have to laugh at his pompousness..kid, I remember you when you rode your BMX and cried when you scraped your knee... however, the girls follow him in droves. Better him than the creep that is running that horrible game on my daughter's friend ( supposedly).

I can see what he's trying to do here, but I also think he's incredibly naive. For one thing, women aren't insecure about their appearances purely because they want to impress a man. If a woman sees a Victoria's Secret model and feels inadequate, it's because society keeps telling us that we have to be skinny and beautiful, and that we have to be 'what men want', and he's doing exactly the same thing. Why is it any different for a woman to strive to have a perfect character in order to please a man than a perfect body?

Why is it any different for a woman to strive to have a perfect character in order to please a man than a perfect body?

This forevveeerrrrrrrrr.

I can see what he's trying to do here, but I also think he's incredibly naive. For one thing, women aren't insecure about their appearances purely because they want to impress a man. If a woman sees a Victoria's Secret model and feels inadequate, it's because society keeps telling us that we have to be skinny and beautiful, and that we have to be 'what men want', and he's doing exactly the same thing. Why is it any different for a woman to strive to have a perfect character in order to please a man than a perfect body?

Exactly, my body hang ups have absolutely nothing to do with my apparent attractiveness to men. And frankly, my husband likes me with more flesh on my bones. He hates it when i'm smaller! He "loves curves" and never fails to tell me i'm beautiful (his nickname for me is "gorgeous" ) . But do I still feel unattractive? um YES. all the time and its no fault of his!

And another thing: 1 out of every 2 marriages does not end in divorce. That's an inaccurate statistic attained by dividing the marriage rate in one year by the divorce rate in that same year. In fact, in the US there are fewer than 20 divorces per 1000 women married to men, or 2% of all heterosexual marriages.

And another thing: 1 out of every 2 marriages does not end in divorce. That's an inaccurate statistic attained by dividing the marriage rate in one year by the divorce rate in that same year. In fact, in the US there are fewer than 20 divorces per 1000 women married to men, or 2% of all heterosexual marriages.

Can you explain this some more please?

Before I even watch it, I can tell you: His parents forced him to say that.

Love, Michelle Bachmann

ETA after watching: Piffle. He's so insecure he wears a cap. Bad hair day, Alex? thinning hair day?

How dare some guy tell women what do be?

If he wants to exhort other men to look for women who have strength of character, fine. I would ignore this guy since he's young enough to be my grandson. I would hope women young enough to be my granddaughters would also tell him to sod off.

The other day somebody pointed out to me that Proverbs 31 isn't even aimed at women. It isn't "Ladies, you must do this and be this or you are not Doing It Right." It's a checklist of an ideal woman aimed at men who are looking to get married. It's even headed with the admission that nobody can check all of the boxes.

So basically Mr. Young Enough That I Could've Wiped His Bottom here is kindly telling women that it's okay, sweetie, you can switch one unattainable ideal for another unattainable ideal and he'll still want you. Grow up, kid.

Just the picture of the VS colors with the quote is posted on my sister in law's wall. It is taking a lot of will power not to write: Don't worry, you'll never be a Victoria's Secret model.

I'm a bitch, but I'm not a pot-stirrer, so I'm just thinking it in my head.

Just the picture of the VS colors with the quote is posted on my sister in law's wall. It is taking a lot of will power not to write: Don't worry, you'll never be a Victoria's Secret model.

I'm a bitch, but I'm not a pot-stirrer, so I'm just thinking it in my head.

Maybe she's just letting everyone know what kind of woman she likes. :)

Maybe she's just letting everyone know what kind of woman she likes. :)

Nope, she's my uber-fundie, daughter of a IFB preacher, Crown College* almost alumni (she didn't graduate because wanted to get married and start having teh baybiez) sister-in law.

*Crown College, you know, where they don't have green hair so Erin (?) Bates is allowed to attend....

My facebook page is covered in women saying they loved this video. I watched it and threw up in my mouth a little. If a any guy tried to place me in either "box" of a P31 woman or a victoria secret model I would not give him the time of day. I am my own person not something to be given a set of qualities to live up to, to be worthy of being dated. Gag.

Why is it mutually exclusive to be a Proverbs 31 woman and a Victoria's Secret model? Heidi Klum has a legendarily functional family and is a doting mother and wife; Adriana Lima, who is one of the hottest women in the world saved her virginity for marriage. A lot of the VS models are wives and mothers who are doing what Proverbs 31 advocates: working and taking care of a family.

Archived