IGNORED

I'd rather have a Prov. 31 woman than a Vicki's Secret model

MonkeyMomma

There is nothing in that list that a model can't do. Also, the list has nothing to do with a woman's morals. A wife could do all those things and still be a backstabbing, cruel person(well, except give to the poor) Notice that the Proverbs 31 woman is dressing really well. (rule 22) In the ancient world, purple was considered the color of the wealthy. No frumpers for Proverbs 31 woman.

No frumpers for sure.

She's also clearly not a submissive housewife. She's out running businesses of her own, without checking things with her husband.

I'm not sure where she would get time to model, although Heidi Klum and Iman are examples of models who are also moms and businesswomen. She wouldn't be doing the ultra-skinny, heroin-junky look though - this woman is strong.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Arrogant, entitled shit. Don't tell me to 'be' anything for you - I am my own person and you can like it or lump it.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

i have watched this thread with fascination. I'm was a model for 17 years (from the age of 13) and most of my close friends are models. not victoria's secret models, but fashion and commercials models who have done well but are not famous. of the circle of my close friends (all of us are now in our 30's)

- one became a succesful tv host and spends much of her free time organizing animal rescues from shelters in the south.

- one (my best friend) recently went back to school to study to become a physician's assistant she also manages a pilates studio and recently ran the NYC marathon.

- one quit a few years ago after obtaining her law degree, she now has two kids and works part time with immigration law

- one is currently in a nursing program and working full time to support herself.

and there is me, in the process of opening my own business (an enrichment and tutoring center) and I have two kids.

i can assure you, models are women just like everyone else. it takes a lot to survive in an industry like entertainment and although some do get by purely on their looks the overwhelming majority have brains and guts to spare.

oh, and real women can look like VS models too. trust me ;)

and that boy couldn't score a VS model or any kind of model. cause he is an idiot.

i have watched this thread with fascination. I'm was a model for 17 years (from the age of 13) and most of my close friends are models. not victoria's secret models, but fashion and commercials models who have done well but are not famous. of the circle of my close friends (all of us are now in our 30's)

- one became a succesful tv host and spends much of her free time organizing animal rescues from shelters in the south.

- one (my best friend) recently went back to school to study to become a physician's assistant she also manages a pilates studio and recently ran the NYC marathon.

- one quit a few years ago after obtaining her law degree, she now has two kids and works part time with immigration law

- one is currently in a nursing program and working full time to support herself.

and there is me, in the process of opening my own business (an enrichment and tutoring center) and I have two kids.

i can assure you, models are women just like everyone else. it takes a lot to survive in an industry like entertainment and although some do get by purely on their looks the overwhelming majority have brains and guts to spare.

oh, and real women can look like VS models too. trust me ;)

and that boy couldn't score a VS model or any kind of model. cause he is an idiot.

Your friends sound a lot more admirable than most fundie women we know.

Your friends sound a lot more admirable than most fundie women we know.

my friends are awesome, strong, beautiful women. i am very lucky to have them in my life!

my friends are awesome, strong, beautiful women. i am very lucky to have them in my life!

Yep, I'm pretty lucky to have great friends, too.

Yep, I'm pretty lucky to have great friends, too.

:)

i guess what i'm trying to say is that this boy, much like of our society tells us we have to choose. you can be beautiful or you can be good. you can put value in your character, or in your work, or in your looks... but not everything. I say, i get to choose, just like you get to choose just like everyone gets to choose. I put a lot of effort into my looks but i don't put down women who don't. i don't care why they make the choice they do, as long as they are happy. and I don't see why any of us should be forced to choose between the possibilities. A woman should get to make her own decisions, whatever they are. and this brainwashed little boy seems to believe that you must sacrifice one at the expense of the other.

bollocks.

This is sort of off topic but it's kind of interesting. It's an article/interview with Victoria's Secret model Angel Adriana Lima about how she prepares for the big runway show. In case you don't feel like reading the article, here's the run-down (shamelessly copied from Sociological Images):

- For months before the show, she works out every day with a personal trainer; for the three weeks before, she works out twice a day.

- A nutritionist gives her protein shakes, vitamins and supplements to help her body cope with the work out schedule.

- She drinks a gallon of water a day.

- For the final nine days before the show, she consumes only protein shakes.

- Two days before the show, she begins drinking water at a normal rate; for the final 12 hours, she drinks no water at all. She loses up to eight pounds during this time.

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-fea ... Angel.html

I cannot bring myself to watch the video... but do they really have white girls in medieval dress? The picture implies such. Way to literally whitewash an issue. For all the fundies reading here, this is what the Proverbs 31 woman probably looked like:

bietdjan420.jpeg

Why do fundies feel the need to pretend that all this Old Testament stuff happened to non-Semitic Caucasians in the Middle Ages?

This is sort of off topic but it's kind of interesting. It's an article/interview with Victoria's Secret model Angel Adriana Lima about how she prepares for the big runway show. In case you don't feel like reading the article, here's the run-down (shamelessly copied from Sociological Images):

- For months before the show, she works out every day with a personal trainer; for the three weeks before, she works out twice a day.

- A nutritionist gives her protein shakes, vitamins and supplements to help her body cope with the work out schedule.

- She drinks a gallon of water a day.

- For the final nine days before the show, she consumes only protein shakes.

- Two days before the show, she begins drinking water at a normal rate; for the final 12 hours, she drinks no water at all. She loses up to eight pounds during this time.

http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-fea ... Angel.html

adrianna is one of the girls who has trouble keeping the weight off. some girl go to these extremes, and others don't have to work so hard. but remember, this is her job. is it really so different from... training for a marathon? this is her job, so she does what she must to do it well. I have no trouble keeping off weight without having to go to those extremes, and so do many models i know. this does not devalue our ability to do other things well or require all of our attention.

adrianna is one of the girls who has trouble keeping the weight off. some girl go to these extremes, and others don't have to work so hard. but remember, this is her job. is it really so different from... training for a marathon? this is her job, so she does what she must to do it well. I have no trouble keeping off weight without having to go to those extremes, and so do many models i know. this does not devalue our ability to do other things well or require all of our attention.

Oh, I wasn't meaning to imply that it was a bad thing or devalued her in any way, I just found it interesting. In the same post there was also a discussion on how body builders get ready for their competitions, it was harder to work that one into the conversation though! It's interesting to know that others don't go to those extremes.

It does indicate an unrealistic and potentially unhealthy standard of beauty, if a gorgeous model feels the need to go beyond healthy eating and exercise to follow an extreme diet. I'm surprised more models don't collapse on the runway.

I'm not saying that all models are stupid. I am saying that there is pressure in the industry to do stupid things that can harm you, and that promoting unrealistic standards that may be impossible for the average woman to meet can contribute to women harming themselves through unnecessary surgery, extreme diets and eating disorders.

1) I fixed the video link for you.

2) Oh, barf.

Ugh, such misinterpretation there. I personally am more likely to be a 31 woman than a model (I am way too short. I am very petite), but I prefer to be neither since I do not embody either one. A man who was interested in me would have to accept me as I am and I hope he would and I him. The 31 woman seems very independent, sulf-sufficent and does whatever she can to stay busy and take care of her family. In modern culture, the 31 woman would be considered a take-charge businesswoman, possibly high-powered, and a working mother, so not the fundie ideal.

I cannot bring myself to watch the video... but do they really have white girls in medieval dress? The picture implies such. Way to literally whitewash an issue. For all the fundies reading here, this is what the Proverbs 31 woman probably looked like:

bietdjan420.jpeg

Why do fundies feel the need to pretend that all this Old Testament stuff happened to non-Semitic Caucasians in the Middle Ages?

This woman looks badass. I would love to have a drink with her. :D

bietdjan420.jpeg

I got the impression that they're white because the people who made the video happen to be white and the pics are of themselves (ETA: This is as far as I could tell with the sound off, as I didn't think I could bear to watch it with the expected sickeningly sweet music. As it was, it wasn't awful, just kind of dull). As for the clothes, not all the dresses look medieval, so I'm kind of inclined to believe that's just kind of the way they dress and they're trying to make a video of a 'modern' Proverbs 31 woman.

That's not to say that whitewashing isn't a *huge* problem in Christian imagery, though. Most Western paintings of Jesus and Mary portray them as white Europeans, I can only imagine because the son of God and his pure, virgin mother couldn't possibly actually look like they were Middle-Eastern and Jewish like they *were*.

Also, I love the pattern on the woman's gown in that picture. It probably draws too much attention away from the countenance for fundies.

Ugh. I want to write a paper on the problematic way evangelical rhetoric equates a woman's character with her looks. In the church I grew up in, they would talk about men's "character" and women's "inner beauty." As in, "be a good person to be attractive to others, not because being a good person is enriching and makes the world a better place."

John and Staci Eldredge had those books that were uber-popular among fundies and fundie-lites: "Wild at Heart" and "Captivating." They state that the big question that drives every woman's life is this: "Am I lovely?" They do exegetical cartwheels trying to say that women reflect God's "loveliness," so that yes, all women are lovely.

Enough with this rhetoric! Women don't just find value in how we're seen by others. Stop telling little girls that their intrinsic worth is in how others see them: whether it's physical perfection or "inner beauty"

It does indicate an unrealistic and potentially unhealthy standard of beauty, if a gorgeous model feels the need to go beyond healthy eating and exercise to follow an extreme diet. I'm surprised more models don't collapse on the runway.

I'm not saying that all models are stupid. I am saying that there is pressure in the industry to do stupid things that can harm you, and that promoting unrealistic standards that may be impossible for the average woman to meet can contribute to women harming themselves through unnecessary surgery, extreme diets and eating disorders.

sometimes models do get "encouraged" to do stupid things to stay on top. sometimes athletes do to, and sometimes medical residents work for 40 hours straight putting patients lives in danger. no industry is perfect, far from it. entertainment industry can be very negative, and so can be many other industries.

as for unrealistic... it may be unrealistic for me to be the president (as i wasn't born in the us) or a professional basketball player, but that doesn't mean that other women shouldn't aspire to this if that is what they want. both of those professions require things we can not control, and yet nobody thinks there is anything wrong with wanting to be one of those.

bietdjan420.jpeg

Not to focus on the superficial, but she is beautiful!

bietdjan420.jpeg

Wow, that is striking. Where'd you find that picture?

I know, right?

What a boring video. Love the part where one of them holds a doll baby.

I think it is the Maidens of Worth bloggers in the video but it isn't exciting!!

Archived