IGNORED

People is reporting that Michelle Duggar miscarried MERGED

MerryHappy

The Duggars have mentioned the 1st miscarriage several times before in interviews, the first book and the pre-series documentaries.

I meant the name, not that it happened. Notable only because it's not a J'name.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"I am resting and I have felt good physically, which is strange," says Michelle, who was 19 weeks and 1 day into her pregnancy when the miscarriage was diagnosed (the baby measured at 16 weeks).

What does the bolded part mean? Did the baby stop developing at 16 weeks?

What does the bolded part mean? Did the baby stop developing at 16 weeks?

Probably.

Movement in that period can be on-again/off-again, and it is easy to mistake gas or random indigestion for movement.

eta: so Michelle might not have noticed that it stopped, I mean.

i think that is what it means...though she says Jill heard a heartbeat on Nov 25?

oy.

so, if i'm reading it correctly, she is actually still carrying it, yes?

i think that is what it means...though she says Jill heard a heartbeat on Nov 25?

oy.

so, if i'm reading it correctly, she is actually still carrying it, yes?

Yes. And right, either the baby was very small for the gestational age (which is possible if it wasn't developing normally), or it stopped growing at 16 weeks, in which case Michelle is telling People Magazine that her daughter Jill failed to catch what was going on. Nice.

Um, resting at home =/= giving interviews to People magazine.

Caleb? They named the other baby Caleb??

Not Jaleb?

I guess miscarried Duggar fetuses get C names? I hope #20 is the last C-fetus.

Interesting that they reveal the name they gave the first child lost to miscarriage. I actually named my 2 miscarried children. I didn't know their sex but had a "feeling" I knew what they were (I was right with my feeling for my first child) so I named them gender specific names. The only other person who knows their names is my husband. I don't know if the Duggars felt this way but I was very reserved about sharing any information with others about me miscarrying, naming them, etc.

I can't imagine being told to go home and just sit around with a dead fetus inside me :(. Gosh, that has to be awful. Also the idea of her delivering it naturally is awful, too because then she will have to go through the pains of labor to deliver it. I would much rather be knocked out and have a D&C. Who knows how long it will take her body to naturally miscarry, it could be a while! So sad.

I guess miscarried Duggar fetuses get C names? I hope #20 is the last C-fetus.

Well, the last C-fetus was born when they only had one child, so they hadn't started their obnoxious j'theme yet.

You can find out the sex at around 14-15 weeks, yes? But the anatomy scan just isn't done until 18-20 weeks?

So they probably know it was a boy.

Yes. And right, either the baby was very small for the gestational age (which is possible if it wasn't developing normally), or it stopped growing at 16 weeks, in which case Michelle is telling People Magazine that her daughter Jill failed to catch what was going on. Nice.

I noticed that, too. Poor Jill. I wonder what she was listening with? I've heard of even doctors getting the mother's heartbeat confused with the baby's.

Yes, she is still pregnant. It sounds like she is waiting to go into labor naturally, usually if that doesn't happen within a certain time period they will help her along with it. You don't have to be fully dilated to deliver a baby that size, though (not to diminish her pain any, I know it's a heartbreaking situation).

Well, the last C-fetus was born when they only had one child, so they hadn't started their obnoxious j'theme yet.

I know, but won't Caleb feel left out if the other miscarried fetus gets a J-name and s/he is the only C-fetus?

You can find out the sex at around 14-15 weeks, yes? But the anatomy scan just isn't done until 18-20 weeks?

So they probably know it was a boy.

The first miscarriage she had was really early I think, before it was even a fetus yet and was still an embryo. Like 5 weeks I believe.

Jill was probably listening to the baby's heartbeat with her ear pressed to Michelle's belly. Or a stethoscope.

The first miscarriage she had was really early I think, before it was even a fetus yet and was still an embryo. Like 5 weeks I believe.

5 weeks? How would she have even known about it O_o

I was actually referring to this C-fetus, not the first miscarriage.

I don't think she would distinguish between the two losses; they believe that it is a baby when sperm hits egg.

For me it has always been a mental thing; Jewish law dictates that it is not a baby until birth, but I start emotionally counting it as one when I name it and buy it things. With my 5th child, I did not name him or buy him anything until a week before he was born because I knew the pregnancy was high risk. Christians set up the pregnancy equation so that an early miscarriage is similar to a second trimester one.

Jill was probably listening to the baby's heartbeat with her ear pressed to Michelle's belly. Or a stethoscope.

5 weeks? How would she have even known about it O_o

I was actually referring to this C-fetus, not the first miscarriage.

Caleb was the name of the first so when you said it was a boy I thought that's what you meant, sorry.

And you can find out you're pregnant at 3 weeks, before you even miss your period. It takes a while for the fertilized egg to become an embryo and then subsequently become a fetus :). Usually somewhere towards the end of 6 weeks there is a heartbeat, sometimes not until later though.

Both of my losses were while they were still embryos. I am not a fundie at all, but I will say it was so much easier knowing both of my losses did not have heartbeats yet.

Weird, they Caleb pregnancy was after Josh, so the obviously started the J thing already.

I think they made it up (the name thing).

I think they decided to do the J name thing after they had the twins. They've said before that they just liked the names Jana and John-David. Then when they had their 4th kid they didn't want them to be left out so they just stayed with the theme.

I don't think she would distinguish between the two losses; they believe that it is a baby when sperm hits egg.

For me it has always been a mental thing; Jewish law dictates that it is not a baby until birth, but I start emotionally counting it as one when I name it and buy it things. With my 5th child, I did not name him or buy him anything until a week before he was born because I knew the pregnancy was high risk. Christians set up the pregnancy equation so that an early miscarriage is similar to a second trimester one.

Because of Jewish folk traditions/superstitions, my mom and her sisters never had baby showers or prepared anything for the baby's arrival. The only thing my mom did was when she found out I was going to be a girl (after my mom and her sisters and cousin had only had boys), she bought a few pink and purple items and hid them at a friend's house. I also heard that my great-grandmother tied a red string around my brother's crib to ward off attacks from Lilith.

Because of Jewish folk traditions/superstitions, my mom and her sisters never had baby showers or prepared anything for the baby's arrival. The only thing my mom did was when she found out I was going to be a girl (after my mom and her sisters and cousin had only had boys), she bought a few pink and purple items and hid them at a friend's house. I also heard that my great-grandmother tied a red string around my brother's crib to ward off attacks from Lilith.

Ditto to what GeoBQn said. I set up a gift registry while I was pregnant and after the baby was born, my mother and MIL went shopping and bought the majority of the stuff on the registry. My sister gave me her nursery furniture. She delivered it to my house and set up the nursery while I was in the hospital. Nothing baby-related came into the house until after my daughter was born.

Guest Anonymous

I had a second trimester miscarriage. We had just found out I was pregnant, wasn't happy because our children were in first and seventh grade. We thought we were done.

A couple of days later, I started cramping and was in lots of pain. Since we thought I wasn't far along, I tried staying home to miscarry. My husband ended up rushing me to the hospital because of the pain I was in.

An ultrasound showed that I was 15 weeks along and there was no heartbeat. I was admitted and put in a room on the OB floor. Several hours later, I went to get up to go to the bathroom and gave birth.

The nurses were AWESOME!!! I was asked if I wanted to see the baby. I was in a state of shock and don't remember much until the next morning. My husband and I held our son, named him and took pictures. The nurses took a cast of his body, a picture of him and even gave us the blanket, hat and umbilcal cord clamp. They put everything in a hat box.

We were gave three options. We could give the hospital the body, we could take the baby home to bury or we could have him cremated. A local funeral home offers free cremation to anyone who lost a baby like we did. We decided to go that route.

After being discharged, everything that happened hit me hard. If I had known that I was so far along, I wouldn't have been so unhappy about being pregnant. I ended up going to the funeral home and holding my baby to tell him how sorry I was.

Next month will be three years. The hat box with his ashes are in my bedroom. When it first happened, I found the question of how many children we have hard to answer. Now I wonder how to word our future obituaries. Do we say that a child preceded us?

For me, it was a slap to call what happened a miscarriage. If I had been a few weeks more long, it would be called a still birth. People would be more understanding about what you're going through.

While I was disgusted when I heard that Michelle was pregnant, I would not wish what she is going through on anyone. I do hope she takes this as a sign that they need to be done with having babies.

Caleb was the name of the first so when you said it was a boy I thought that's what you meant, sorry.

And you can find out you're pregnant at 3 weeks, before you even miss your period. It takes a while for the fertilized egg to become an embryo and then subsequently become a fetus :). Usually somewhere towards the end of 6 weeks there is a heartbeat, sometimes not until later though.

Both of my losses were while they were still embryos. I am not a fundie at all, but I will say it was so much easier knowing both of my losses did not have heartbeats yet.

Oh. So they might actually know the gender of this one.

I knew it's possible to find out at 3 weeks, I just didn't know if Michelle had found out that early.

My mother ties red strings around my babies' wrists and buys ruby earrings for the girls to ward away evil, I did not realize this was mainstream Jewish. She has a Mizrachi background and they can get weird.

Archived