IGNORED

People is reporting that Michelle Duggar miscarried MERGED

MerryHappy

Just curious, would she have felt the baby move by now? I know someone who stopped feeling the baby move, but kept it to herself for several days until she could confirm with her doctor. There were 3 other kids and I wonder what that was like, taking care of them while you're keeping that secret.

I also wonder how much the kids understand about what is going on. If fundies don't tell their kids about sex, what do they know about pregnancy? I even wonder how much Jill and Jana know, despite midwife training or whatever they've done. I'm sure that all of the kids have heard the story about the first miscarriage caused by the evil birth control, and that probably makes it even more confusing. Add to that how public the pregnancy was, and how public this announcement is, I just feel so bad for everyone involved. (Although maybe this is a case where insulating so they're not exposed to the media coverage hasn't worked out so bad.)

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just curious, would she have felt the baby move by now? I know someone who stopped feeling the baby move, but kept it to herself for several days until she could confirm with her doctor. There were 3 other kids and I wonder what that was like, taking care of them while you're keeping that secret.

I also wonder how much the kids understand about what is going on. If fundies don't tell their kids about sex, what do they know about pregnancy? I even wonder how much Jill and Jana know, despite midwife training or whatever they've done. I'm sure that all of the kids have heard the story about the first miscarriage caused by the evil birth control, and that probably makes it even more confusing. Add to that how public the pregnancy was, and how public this announcement is, I just feel so bad for everyone involved. (Although maybe this is a case where insulating so they're not exposed to the media coverage hasn't worked out so bad.)

It depends on when the baby died. Moms (especially "veteran" moms) generally start feeling movement around 15-16 weeks along, so if the baby was still alive and developing fairly normally at that point, she may have felt movement.

http://razingruth.blogspot.com/2011/12/duggar-miscarriage.html

Razing Ruth's post on the Duggar miscarriage - I went back several pages and didn't see it.

Nope, hasn't been posted yet. Thanks for sharing, it's definitely worth a read. I just wanted to put a little of her post up here though.

On a more personal note, I was actually angry when I read his request for privacy. Not because they don't deserve privacy. THEY ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY DO DESERVE to grieve this loss with the dignity and privacy that most families would grieve it. The anger within me comes from knowing that this will only be "private" until it's needed for ratings or for the family's mission purposes. I also suspect, and am angry, because it will only be private in the same way that they didn't give us daily updates on Josie's progress, but kept it "private" until they gave updates to the Today Show or People or 19 Kids and Counting producers.

On a more personal note, I was actually angry when I read his request for privacy. Not because they don't deserve privacy. THEY ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY DO DESERVE to grieve this loss with the dignity and privacy that most families would grieve it. The anger within me comes from knowing that this will only be "private" until it's needed for ratings or for the family's mission purposes. I also suspect, and am angry, because it will only be private in the same way that they didn't give us daily updates on Josie's progress, but kept it "private" until they gave updates to the Today Show or People or 19 Kids and Counting producers.

Well said.

I am wondering if they will be so eager to announce the next pregnancy (if they do, which you know they will try again).

My first thought was : What are they going to blame this on? It's a horrible thing to happen to anyone, but the last time they blamed a miscarriage on birth control and became the super fundies that they are now. Are they going to make this some excuse to become even more restrictive, and put an end to all their worldly exposure? Will they blame on of the kids for some imagined sin? Since miscarriage is probably the reason they tried for so many kids in the first place, I am worried at what they might do.

My second thought was i really hope they don't do 10 very special funeral episodes or something equally deserving. That would just make it feel like they were exploiting a terrible loss for ratings. No one is making them do episodes about this, and it just feels so disrespectful to the loss the whole family would feel to put this on tv. But they are the ones who have the choice to put it on tv, so i don't understand the mindset.

I really hope they focus on the 19 kids they already have, the youngest of which is still going to have problems for the rest of her life probably, and the others could use some more attention. They're going to try for another one, i know they will, but they also know how likely this is to happen again (or something worse). Most people, even those who rely too much on "god's will", would see this as a sign to stop and turn focus to the already born children. The Duggars are not most people.

So is this only the second miscarriage she has had out of the 19??

M.

It's the second one they've admitted to. The first happened after Josh was born and convinced them that they were killing their babies by being on birth control. She may have had others but didn't notice or they won't admit them publicly.

Johannah and Jennifer, for example, were something like 22 months apart, which is a long time in Duggarland. The two babies after that were due about 16 months after the previous birth, so I wouldn't be surprised if she had an early miscarriage (or two) during that time.

another quote from Ruth's post, which i think is scarily spot-on:

Unless TLC tells them otherwise (and what are the chances of that happening), we will see the ultrasound. We will see the kids being told (at the very least, we'll see the reactions of the girls who went with Jim Bob and Michelle) and we will see the door to the Tinker Toy House be closed for a few days before they regroup and film the funeral. We'll be shown the funeral. I would call on TLC to have a conscience and not exploit this for ratings. However, I have a feeling Jim Bob will insist it all be shown for the same reasons that they gave us a birdseye view on his dad's death and his youngest daughter's excrutiating struggle in the NICU- because it shows the Duggar family as the heroic, Christian soldiers that they want to be. Remember, this is the same man who said, as his wife and premature infant were DYING- "This is fixing to change our lives...we thank God for the good things and we need to praise him for the bad things too" (or some such thing). In my opinion, he's disassociated from actually caring for his family long ago- now it's all about showing YOU just how MUCH HE'S LEAVING THIS UP TO GOD.

That's a hard thing. I feel bad for them.

I disagree with many of the other posters here who say this is a 'sign to stop,' however: Miscarriage is actually quite common, and it doesn't matter if a woman is on her first pregnancy or her 20th - it can happen to anyone, for any reason or for no discernable reason at all.

(This was also how I felt about Josie's disabilities. I don't understand why *that* should be seen as a reason to stop having children. No - I think having 19 fucking kids is a reason to stop in itself. Disability amd miscarriage have nothing at all to do with it.)

+1 + the risk of having genetic problem in your kid: obviously they would not care.

And as for the funeral, I don't have a problem either. They were 3 weeks away from probability of survival. I think it's pretty important and makes the baby more real. It's sad for them... I think they have already more kids than they care for and that's why they should stop.

I am wondering if they will be so eager to announce the next pregnancy (if they do, which you know they will try again).

I'm also wondering the same thing too. They will probably continue to try and I doubt that Michelle or Jim Bob will ever sterilized. If they do get pregnant again, maybe they will just announce the pregnancy online and not do the whole Today Show thing.

Well said.

What really makes me angry about their request for privacy is that absolute lack of respect of the privacy of others. Where was Josie's privacy as she struggled for life? Grandpa Duggar's? The girls' (don't remember which ones) privacy after they had their wisdom teeth out and were laying in bed doped up on meds and in pain?

I think Razing Ruth said it all.

It's ridicolous to ask for privacy when you will exploit a tragic event like this to make yourself look like a martyr.

Well said.

well I guess it's privacy on their own term. Privacy means also leave them alone, don't call for comments.

Michelle's doctor recommended that she allow the miscarriage to occur without using medications that cause her uterus to contract, due to the cut that her emergency Cesarean for Josie created.

That uterus must be totally fucked up.

"We named that baby Caleb even though we didn't know if it was a boy or girl because that miscarriage was early," she says. "We will name this child and will know that we will see those children again someday in heaven."

This is the first time we've ever heard the 1st miscarriages name, right? Is it in the books? I'm sure they spell it Kaleb. The cynical part of me thinks they just made it up yesterday when they realized they never named it and woudl be asked questions about it in the media. :?

She says Jim Bob and the children are making sure she's resting. "The kids are mothering me now," she says. "Jill just brought me some food and they are taking good care of me."

This will be Michelle for the next six months, at least.

She says Jim Bob and the children are making sure she's resting. "The kids are mothering me now," she says. "Jill just brought me some food and they are taking good care of me."

I think they have been mothering her for quite a while. :-/

Um, resting at home =/= giving interviews to People magazine.

Caleb? They named the other baby Caleb??

Not Jaleb?

Why oh why did it have to be Caleb. That is the name we gave to one of the twins we lost.

That uterus must be totally fucked up.

This is the first time we've ever heard the 1st miscarriages name, right? Is it in the books? I'm sure they spell it Kaleb. The cynical part of me thinks they just made it up yesterday when they realized they never named it and woudl be asked questions about it in the media. :?

This will be Michelle for the next six months, at least.

The Duggars have mentioned the 1st miscarriage several times before in interviews, the first book and the pre-series documentaries.

I thought the Jill mention was a bit tasteless. Obviously the girl must feel AWFUL if she was involved in the medical care and this happened - which she shouldn't, since she's a student (if that) and was kind of doing it recreationally, it seems.

Archived