IGNORED

Good moments in Duggar show history

dawniecakes

Grandma and Grandpa Duggar aren't extremists and both seem to have good, if not simpleton, minds. Deanna and Amy are relatively normal. Jim Bob is dim, but it's unlikely that he's truly as deep into the fundie stuff as it appears. J'Michelle was the convert, but there's nothing that really indicates that she and Jim Bob started out as fundies. I think she took to the fundie stuff after The Miscarriage and Jim Bob is just too simple minded not to go along with it.

There is no doubt in my mind that Michelle is running the show. She's sporting 50 IQ points on Dim Bob and he's clearly vulnerable to her manipulations, despite the fact that he's technically the one wearing the pants.

Speaking of Jackson and Johannah, I remember Jim Bob once saying they were like an old married couple. Hmmm....Very true. Hannie is younger and may be wearing some awful huge plastic flower in her hair, but there is no question that she dominates her older, sweeter and slightly slower brother. I can't help but see a parallel or two....

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Favorite moment ever: The whole gang went to a Chuck E. Cheese-type place and Jackson wanted to use all his tickets to get a princess set for Johanna. That was so sweet! Jim Bob was really proud, too. That was cool: that's a great thing to be proud of your kid for.

Favorite moment ever: The whole gang went to a Chuck E. Cheese-type place and Jackson wanted to use all his tickets to get a princess set for Johanna. That was so sweet! Jim Bob was really proud, too. That was cool: that's a great thing to be proud of your kid for.
Oh gosh, that was adorable! I can so picture my twins being like that. They already are to an extent, but as they grow I can totally see a Jackson/Johannah/old married couple thing with them. S-2 is daring, bossy and outlandish, usually the one leading them into trouble. C just calmly goes along with it and does nice things for her all the time, and frequently gives me looks that I swear mean, "there's no point arguing. I'm along for the ride."

Call me crazy, but I'm team Jim Bob too, if it's between him and J'Michelle. Up until recently I thought he was truly skeezy and manipulative and in everything for the money. Until I re-watched all the early specials, and scattered episodes across the seasons. Now it's clear to me that he's not a money-hungry manipulative fame-pimp, because that would require cunning, if only a crude form. It's J'Michelle running the show and pushing all this through.

Jim Bob is almost lovable in the way that a dumb dog is lovable. It's destructive and irritating, but at the end of the day, it's just too stupid to be held completely responsible.

I disagree, I think Jim Bob is definitely running the show and while I do think he loves Michelle and the kids in his own weird obsessive way, he's totally pimping them out for money. Also, after seeing the interaction between Jim Bob and Josiah over the announcement of #20, I find Jim Bob to be downright frightening..

JimBob is not smart (in the last book he admits he never got more than a C in school, and makes other comments about his experiences in school that make it clear he wasn't the brightest). Heck you only have to listen to him talk to know that. But he is definitely canny. I think he's been very successful as a salesman, politician and business owner. He does have an innate cunning and pushiness, natural sales skills or what have you.

JimBob is not smart (in the last book he admits he never got more than a C in school, and makes other comments about his experiences in school that make it clear he wasn't the brightest). Heck you only have to listen to him talk to know that. But he is definitely canny. I think he's been very successful as a salesman, politician and business owner. He does have an innate cunning and pushiness, natural sales skills or what have you.

Yes, and he loves his wife and kids.

I disagree, I think Jim Bob is definitely running the show and while I do think he loves Michelle and the kids in his own weird obsessive way, he's totally pimping them out for money. Also, after seeing the interaction between Jim Bob and Josiah over the announcement of #20, I find Jim Bob to be downright frightening..

Oh, he's definitely been brainwashed, no doubt about it and I'm sure that's impacted his reactions to things he can't control, like Josiah. Pigeons can be trained to hop on one foot until a machine gives them food. But it really doesn't seem like he's in control, when you scrape off the superficial perfect-happy-fundie-patriarch veneer. YMMV, but looking at it now after the shows/specials have been around for so many years, J'Michelle is pulling his strings. I didn't realise it until I watched it in a short time period, in chronological order, but it seems to me that J'Michelle puts the ideas out and Jim Bob just does the footwork on a lot, if not most things.

Oh gosh, that was adorable! I can so picture my twins being like that. They already are to an extent, but as they grow I can totally see a Jackson/Johannah/old married couple thing with them. S-2 is daring, bossy and outlandish, usually the one leading them into trouble. C just calmly goes along with it and does nice things for her all the time, and frequently gives me looks that I swear mean, "there's no point arguing. I'm along for the ride."

What episode??

I don't know why everyone is raving about JB, he is restricting his kids just as much as J'chelle is. I wish he'd lay off the patriarchal act ("Guys! Listen up!")

Amy calling out the Jparents on the no-kissing rule, and the resulting barely-contained fury at her doing something so awful. You mean calling you out on your hypocrisy? In the real world, that's a good thing. If only it had lasted. I had such high hopes for you, Cousin Amy.

(Which I guess is linked to another worst - after the actual calling-out and reaction, Jichelle gives her baby voice smile in the confessional and says "Yes, we did, but we regret that and would have done it differently" or words to that effect, and there's that tense anger underneath it all. We seeeee it, Michelle.)

I liked when the Duggar and Keller siblings reenacted Smuggar's proposal to Anna. John-David was really funny with his "It's half a carat" while chomping into a carrot. :lol:

Truely non-snarky nice: The ski trip where they got to just have FUN.

The Bates/Duggar kids actually getting to PLAY together and not learn gender-"appropriate" ways of "serving."

Josh's happiness at Anna marrying him and his cringe-worthy singing to his bride in his wedding. It was really sweet of him.

But I enjoyed his siblings spoof of his marriage proposal, too!

Sorry, but the Bates first appearance in their "interesting" dresses stands out in my mind.

The big girls trying to look outraged as the public school danced for them.

Grandpa saying he had a "measley two" kids!

Grandma sheepishly explaining that Joy Anna was covering the tv screen so her little brothers wouldn't see the lady's dress.

Personally I think they've worn out the bickering, interrupting Jackson and Johanna. They aren't that cute now. They are old enough for a few manners.

And, the one they should be focusing on--the kids stunned reactions to tiny Josie and their tears in those early days of Josie's life. The kids really do care, but shouldn't have to raise their siblings.

I love everything about Hannie. I occasionally watch her poison ivy video when I'm in a bad mood. She's just so smart and chirpy.

I love everything about Hannie. I occasionally watch her poison ivy video when I'm in a bad mood. She's just so smart and chirpy.

My grandmother's name was Hannie, and Hannie Duggar is the only other one I've ever known of. I love her, she's got a lot of spark.

I think Anna cuddling with Mack when she was in labor is the moment on the show that really stands out to me as really sweet and honest.

I think Jimbob is very much like Amy. They're both dumb fame whores but when you get down to it they care about their families and friends. Compared to Michelle and Josh who are extremely manipulative, full of themselves and really could care less about anyone but themselves.

Jim Bob hanging out with the kids; you can tell he loves them.

Josiah in the field, picking flowers for the girls.

Johannah and Jackson's play acting in the candid interviews.

Kelly Bates holding Josie at the NICU.

Let me think, I'll find more...

Oh yeah, Grandpa speaking his mind re: the # of kids

Michelle rocking in roller skates

Jed making a home movie

Justin making breakfast for Jordyn

I like Jill on the mission trips because she really does care about the people and in one episode (can't remember which one) she acts embarrassed about Jim boob talking with made up spanish. I hope she goes on to become a missionary or just moves out of the country.

Jackson/Johannah, they crack me up when they talk together.

The one with J'Chelle water skiing and asking them to blur out her legs when her swimming costume flew up was hilarious. My eyes were about to roll right outta my head.

One of the episodes with the Bates... Jana was talking with one of the boys and was actually acting a little flirty! I don't know which boy it was, but I thought it was sweet!

There's an episode, I can't remember which one, where Josh and Anna are doing a talking head and Mackenzie is babbling and climbing all over Josh and giving him kisses (i.e. slobbering all over his face). I think that's the only time I've ever laughed out loud watching the Duggars.

Any scene with Anna and young children. I know many people would say she's never been given the chance to know anything different, but I think she really does enjoy young children and loves being a mother. It really seems to come through in scenes with her interacting with Mackenzie (and presumably Michael too, I just haven't really watched any of the episodes since he was born).

LOL! I'm watching the first episode of this past season from right after Michael was born.

Josh says, "I weigh 3,360 ounces." And Anna chimes in, "He's definitely healthy; maybe a little too healthy..."

subtext: "JOSH, YOU ARE A HUGE FATTY!"

Archived